Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - Wild Spirit

I dedicate this story to Eunice Vun, my friend and part-time editor, who inspired and helped me with ideas when I was stuck. Thanks a whole heap Eunice! Oh yes, and also Mr Gavin Marshall, known as Mr M, for pushing me to my greatest extent with word

Chapter 10 - Wild Spirit

Chapter 10 - Wild Spirit
It was some days later that Rayne was well enough to walk, though her leg was now unfixable, Tristan’s last bolt of magic so filled with hatred, had damaged the repairs he had made with his vials of brown and green liquid, which she now applied everyday to keep the pain away.
A decision was passed between the newly formed council, and this was announced to the Tavarians that had come to listen.

“We have reached a decision about the absence of a Royal Family. Lady Rayne of The Raven, First daughter to Sir Jailan Sansei and Lady Camille Heatherton, shall take the crown, due to her parents close friendship with the late Rowan’s father, having no heir.”

There was an uproar of cheers from the crowd and Rayne stepped forward.

“Have you a decision Rayne?” the council head asked.

“I have. I am a wild spirit that can never be content living in a palace and imprisoned from the call of freedom. My destiny does not belong here. I will not take the crown, but pass in to my younger sister, Sahra. May you rule your people well, sister,” her eyes glazed over as she placed the crown on Sahra’s head.

She left quietly as the celebrations and feast began, leaving through the gates of Tavares in her silver shirt and breeches, scuffed black boots and black cloak, hood drawn back, just as she had always been.
Her skin, dark again from days of rubbing, was damp with the night mists that started to roll in.
A tear trickled down her cheek as she took one last look at the lights burning brightly in the sky.

“May I join you?” A voice asked from behind her, and without waiting for a reply, Xavier flung his arms around her neck and they held each other tight.

“How…how…” Rayne stuttered.

“Shh, be still. That is a tale that I will tell you on our way to our final destination.”

“And where might that be?” Rayne asked, amused.

In reply, Xavier flung out his arms and shouted to the heavens, “EVERYWHERE!”

And they both walked off, laughing, into the forests, a black owl perched on Xavier’s shoulder, and a silver owl perched on Rayne’s.

* * *

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment