Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

A collaborative fic by me and my friend. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 - Chapter 2
Soon enough, they reached the headquarters of The Order. They disembarked and watched the repairmen board her ship to check for any mishaps the others might have missed. Around the dry dock were several people talking and exchanging goods. The area around headquarters was very beautiful, with several acres of plant life and a large waterfall to it’s right. They were ushered through the large marble archway that lead to the High Hall. Here, several doors broke off to the sides that led to corridors that plunged deeper into the headquarters. The Hall was made of fine marble, and the ceiling was made of red velvet. At the end of the Hall was the entrance to the Grand Hall, and further beyond that was the entrance to the Great Chamber. The crew quickly proceeded through the High Hall and entered the Grand Hall. Here, there were no doors, but several nooks, in which High Guards resided. The High Guards wore heavy cloaks that hid Elven chain mail underneath. They carried large black pikes as weapons. At the end of the Hall were two centaur longbowmen, poised and ready. The Hall was made of more marble, but this one was black and red, not white and black. The ceiling was made of black velvet. The Hall was very dark, there were only small windows at set intervals along each side. The crew plowed on, striding along the length of the Hall, until at last they reached the large oaken double-doors leading to the Great Chamber. The two centaurs crossed their longbows and barred the path of the crew.
“Please wait momentarily. The Supreme Chancellor will see you after he is done with another matter,” one of the centaurs said in their usual quiet, mystical voice. Konno nodded.
The crew waited for about twenty minutes before the door opened and a man emerged, looking furious. Konno paid him no heed, and walked into the Great Chamber, the rest of the crew at her heels. She stopped at the large circular rug depicting the symbol of The Order: a large broadsword held by a solitary masked man, standing in between an army holding the banner of Kinetica, and an army holding the banner of Cellstar. She kneeled momentarily and stood back up, gazing at the Supreme Chancellor. He was a very old Elf, probably born in the days of peace between Kinetica and Cellstar when some of the present-day countries hadn’t been established yet. He wore a large, blue and yellow robe and had flowing white hair. His bright, piercing blue eyes stared out from behind his half-circle glasses.
“Welcome, Konno, and the crew of the Baldur’s Eye. You are here to receive another assignment, as I’m sure you already know. What you are to do, is attack and capture a small Kinetican outpost that was established dangerously close to The Order’s headquarters. It is on the small unnamed island to the northeast of the dry dock you arrived in. Now, this mission will require more than your standing crew number, I’m afraid, so I have taken the liberty of assigning you a very excellent bounty hunter and his partner who shall-” The Supreme Chancellor was cut short as the double doors were thrown open, and a lone figure stepped in, leaving the centaur guards behind him in a surprised state. Konno instinctively reached for her blade, but the man paid her no heed. He was wearing what might have once been a black military uniform, but was decorated and adorned with all manner of belts, bits of armor, and jewelry crafted of iron and precious stones. Over all he wore a large fur cloak with a thrown back hood. In a fancy leather sheath at his side he wore a broadsword, the blue hilt of which appeared to be of value, although it was not overly ornate. His shaggy silver-white hair nearly came down to his shoulders. The features of his face were rather handsome, though somewhat drawn, and were surprisingly smooth with no scars. His narrow yellow eyes darted about the room as he strode briskly across the room.
The Chancellor smiled, “Ah, and here is our man. Allow me to introduce Masamune Garou, the infamous White Wolf of Zayin!”
The man’s raspy voice had an obvious tone of anger in it. “Evander, what goeth on here? Who art all these people?”
The crew of the Baldur’s Eye all turned to Supreme Chancellor Evander, an incredulous look in their faces. “Eh…” he began. “These good soldiers shall be accompanying you.”
“What?” came a shout of fury. “This was not a part of the deal.”
“I know, I know, but this mission for the capture of the entire fortress as well as the capture of Lord Kalven.”
Garou turned to the crew, looking them over. He spoke to them, “I am Garou. Although it doth not matter what thou callest me. Thou may call me Garou. Thou may call me Masamune, Thou may call me a dirty bloody monster for all I care.”
“Hmm...brisk fellow, isn’t he?” Allendar muttered. Garou glared at him.
Suddenly the doors opened again as a pretty young girl in a loose blue tunic ran in. “Heya everyone.”
“Mina, I thought I told thee to stay outside,” said Garou.
“I know Wolfy, but I got bored. Those centaurs are the dullest creatures I’ve ever seen. They don’t even have any money in their pockets.”
The Supreme Chancellor smiled again, “Everyone, this is Minako Misamachi, Garou’s partner. Minako, this is Captain Konno, and her crew.”
The girl immediately ran up and shook Konno’s hand. “So, you must be captain of the ship we’re taking to that island. But I always thought we were sailing in the Bayonet.” Konno simply stared at the girl, her mouth hanging, and a look of utter disbelief plastered on her face.
Garou scowled. “Apparently this is no longer a two person mission,” he said, not hiding his contempt. He turned towards the door, with Mina following with him. He turned his head and called back at them, “I shall be back as soon as thou art ready. Try and not take very long.” The two were out of the room in short order.
Konno turned back to the Supreme Chancellor, and stared at him with a raised eyebrow.
“Well, you learn to like him...” the Chancellor said uneasily. Konno scoffed and turned to leave.
“Good luck, Captain,” the Chancellor called. Konno waved a hand.

After three days, the crew was ready to depart. As if on command, the minute they began loading the boat, Garou and Mina appeared out of nowhere.
“It’s about time!” Garou said scornfully. Konno threw him a dirty look and continued loading the boat.
“You know, we could use some help,” Allendar called.
“Not my problem,” Garou replied, but Mina immediately began helping the crew. “Oh, fine,” he snarled, and began helping as well. Soon, they set off, towards the island the Supreme Chancellor had mentioned. Konno preferred to stay in her quarters as opposed to outside, where her crew constantly argued with Garou. Finally, when the fighting became unbearable, Konno flung open her door and shouted, “Will you give it a rest?” Everyone stopped and stared at her. Garou and Allendar stood glancing sideways at each other, looking murderous. Mina sat on the siderail, looking mildly interested. The rest of the crew, with the exception of Mia, were standing around them, either looking utterly bored, or annoyed.
“Honestly, two grown men acting as you two do. It makes me sick!” Konno shouted. “We’re supposed to be allies in this. If we can’t work together, how are we supposed to take the fortress?”
Garou growled, his hands clenching into fists. Allendar grunted and looked away, his arms crossed.
“What were you two fighting about anyway?” Konno asked.
Mina piped up from the siderail, “Wolfy was complaining about being led by a...a...well, it went along the lines of a Half Breed, and Allendar started yelling at him, and it escalated from there.”
“Oh, Allendar, you should know by now that I don’t mind being called a Half Breed,” Konno said. Half Breed was a racial slur referring to Half Elves, Half Orcs, and Half Dwarves. Only those that really prided themselves in their heritage took it to heart. The rest simply shrugged it off.
“Well, it’s common manners, Captain, and I for one despise that slur.”
“Oh, really? Why should you despise it? You’re a full-blooded Elf!” Garou muttered scathingly. Allendar threw him a look of deepest loathing, then turned and walked down into the holds. A few moments later, Silverfang stuck his furry head through the trapdoor.
“Is the fighting over? Thank Baldur...I was beginning to think I would never get any work done...”
“Oh, great! Now the wolf is complaining! Will it ever end?” Garou cried, throwing his arms up in frustration. Mina hopped down from the siderail and took Garou aside. The two began a conversation in hushed whispers. Konno looked the rest of her crew over.
“Anyone else have a complaint?” The crew murmured lowered nos and returned to work. Soon Garou exhaled loudly and stormed off to his makeshift quarters. Mina shook her head and headed down into the holds. Konno returned to her quarters as well.

After three days of sailing, with the added nonstop tension that existed whenever Allendar and Garou were in the same room, the crew was actually relieved when they disembarked on the secluded harbor that wound it’s way to the outpost. The crew took a few minutes to prep their weapons and check that everything was in working order. Satisfied, they began their trek to the hills surrounding the Kinetician outpost. Garou and Mina preferred to hang back, and walk silently a couple of yards behind the crew of the Baldur’s Eye. At last, when they reached a satisfactory cliff from which to observe the movements of the Kinetician dispatch garrison that had taken up post in the outpost, they unpacked, and awaited darkness.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment