Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Chapter 6

A collaborative fic by me and my friend. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 6 - Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - Chapter 6
It was almost dusk when the Baldur’s Eye pulled into harbor at Kinetica City, one of the largest cities in the world. Their assignment this time was, of all things, relief guard duty to the capital. It was highly doubtable that they would need their help unless Cellstar launched a full-scale invasion, which was not likely. Perhaps Evander had given them an easier assignment in light of the last one, but Konno doubted that. This seemed more like an excuse to get rid of them while Evander went on with his mad schemes. Konno and the rest of the crew looked forward to having some free time on their hands. After clearing up some business with the harbor guards as to their identity, they were assigned a small barracks directly across the way from their dock, and sent off to enjoy the day while dockhands handled the unloading of their ship.
Dominique stayed behind to make sure of the competence of the dockhands, and to look after Spark. Silverfang and Zion volunteered to go notify the City Watch of their arrival, and to get to know the areas they would be guarding, while Grunt and Darius set off to find the nearest entertainment facility. That left Konno, Mia, Kaya, and Allendar on their own, so they decided to go see some of the sights, and examine the city. Not soon after they had left the docks, an old man in a brown hooded robe with a long white beard and kind grey eyes, carrying a staff, approached them.
“Ho there, child. Would you be willing to stay and chat with an old man for a spell?” he said.
“I guess,” answered Konno. “If you wouldn’t mind answering a few questions. We’ve just arrived.”
“Yes, yes,” he said. “I know that you are Order mercenaries, because that’s an order ship. We get a lot of them that come through here, yet none of them stay. There hasn’t been an attack on either capital in so long, interesting isn’t it? My name is Kevales, by the way.”
“I’m Konno, Captain of the Baldur’s Eye. This is Mia, Kaya, and Allendar. And we’ll be staying for quite awhile. We’re on relief duty.”
“Then I daresay you’ll die here,” Kevales laughed. “But not in battle, oh no. Unless you get reassigned, which is likely, although no mercenary has ever been hired to relief before.”
Mia asked, “How is it in the city? Any strange happenings?”
Kevales thought a moment. “Well, the Devil’s Shadow, a local crime guild, has become more aggressive as of late, which may be the real reason you’ve been called here. I tell you, Sisera Kartaran, that’s their leader, has gotten quite bold as of late, but no one can pin anything on him, and there seems to be a lack of bounty hunters and vigilantes this day in age. They’ve all become mercenaries or assassins. The great Nifl the Chill, now there was a hunter if ever I saw one. But he wandered off long ago, in some search for some Hall of Reflection, wherever that may be. He sailed to the Isle of Nidavellir…” He paused a moment, then continued. “He never returned.”
“This, this Nifl. Was he a hero of some sort?” asked Mia.
“Of a sort,” answered Kevales. “He was very emotionless, and nobody really liked or disliked him. Most felt sorry for him. But I’m just reminiscing of old times. You want current events. There’s not really that much more I can tell you of matters of the city, but there have been a few strange happenings.”
“Like what?” inquired Allendar.
“Well, the Archduke of Kinetica has been acting strange as of late, probably the strain of the war, but I am sure that evil man Zephys is not helping.”
“Who is Zephys?” asked Konno.
“Some blind man who claims to be a priest of some god named Seth. I do not know that god, but I recall hearing the name from some ancient texts from some far off land. I suspect the nature of this god is not as holy as the blind priest says. It’s so strange.”
“How so?” pressed Allendar. This man may have some useful information.
“Just recently I hear the King of Cellstar got a new adviser, and has been acting out of sorts as well. Odd, in my opinion. And many more strange happenings around the area. Some are saying now that the woods are haunted by singing ghosts, and that in the black desert to the south that dead men are rising. Then there have been many a strange visitor in town, like that huge bear of a man, reminded me of a dwarf he did, but bigger, and that band of well, they were monsters, like the creatures of legendary lands across the seas.” Kevales sighed. “Thank you for your time Konno and crew. I hope we might meet again some time.” With that he walked off into the crowd.
“Well,” said Mia. “He was certainly a nice old man.”
“And an informative one,” observed Allendar.
“Hey, why don’t we check out that tavern over there,” suggested Konno, pointing to a sign that read the Briny Octopus. “It should be another good source of information.”
They filed in through the door and were immediately greeted by a stocky man in spiked armor and a large black hammer. He looked every bit a dwarven warrior except for one thing. He was six feet tall.
“Greeting travelers, and welcome to Benton’s Briny Octopus, the largest, not to mention best, inn and tavern in all Kinetica. I be the self appointed doorman, Caliph the Giant.”
“You are tall sir,” noted Mia. “But your stature is hardly giant. I’ve seen quite a few men taller than you.”
Caliph laughed, “Aye, but have you met any taller dwarves? That’s what I am, biggest dwarf on the face of this world. Go in and have some fun. We’ve some guests that just arrived and they are the life of the party, I’m sure you’ll like all of them. They’re scary folk, critters and such, but all good natured fellers.” Caliph gave another hearty laugh and walked off to greet some other newcomers.
Konno had seen some odd characters in her life. She’d seen orcs, dark elves, trolls, and some other creatures, but never like some of those dancing in the main hall. Prancing about in the middle of the room was a huge creature with orange tinged skin and large round red eyes and a great big grin on his face. On his shoulder, drinking and singing some obscure song was a lanky green humanoid with a distinct reptilian quality about him. Dancing around the great beast was a creature who looked like a cross between a man and a weasel, and a bald man in red and brown robes. An orc in heavy armor with large shoulder pads and a greatsword strapped to his back was drinking at the bar, smiling at the festivities. There was also a blue clad girl with black hair and green eyes dancing with a man in black who wore red glasses. Konno thought there was something familiar about those two, and the man in the red robes. Then her eyes wandered over to the corner and saw a tall figure with white shaggy hair and yellow eyes, like the eyes of a demon. He had a mug in his hand and was laughing at the spectacle. He downed his ale, set it aside and draped his cloak over his chair before joining in.
“It’s him,” was all she could say.
“Who?” asked Allendar, but by that time he’d already seen him. “Hmm…he’s…different.” “Why, it’s,” began Mia. “It’s that bastard Garou.” Allendar’s hand went to his sword, but Konno stopped it from being drawn. “We don’t want trouble here. Let’s just leave.”
The large orc glanced over and spotted them. “Ho! More to join,” he cried, and a cheer went up around the room. “Come on over and let Arkady buy you a round.”
It would not be polite to turn down such an offer, especially from such a character. They walked over and took seats next to them.
“Grevon,” said Arkady. “Come here old boy and give us a round of Elfshadow Gold Mead.” He leaned over towards Konno and said, “The stuff is great. You can drink and drink and not get the least bit tipsy. Not good for getting slobbering drunk, but you don’t strike me as the type to do that much.”
Konno nodded as Grevon slid four meads down, and they began to drink quietly. The song drew to a close and the group took a bow.
“Thank you all for coming tonight,” said the weasel. “Remember, the Briny Octopus is the best, as well as Grevon Everale!” There were numerous cheers around the tavern as the eight companions made their way out of the tavern.
“See, they’re leaving,” said Konno.
They were leaving, but Garou paused, and looked at them. He continued on, ignoring them. Mina decided to stop for a chat. “Heya, look who it is. How’ve you all been?”
“Mina,” said Garou. “We should get going.” He obviously did not wish to stay in their presence.
“Well, we wouldn’t have to if you would have been a bit nicer last time. Insulting Mia here like that.”
“That was not an insult. It was a statement of the evil that is human. An evil that must be recognized for what it is and cleansed from the earth. Caliph would agree.”
“Caliph only thinks that evil humans need cleansing,” corrected Mia.
“Caliph does not understand that all humans are evil by nature. He claims to be enlightened in his quest, but for all the enlightenment he does have he does not perceive this.”
“So I am evil by nature then?”
“You,” sorrow came to Garou’s eyes. “You are…different.”
“Why cannot others be different?”
Garou scowled and with a swirl of his wolfskin cloak, was gone.
Mina turned to the four companions. “Don’t let him trouble you. He’s got a lot of anger inside. He grew up among humans, very wicked humans. They have colored his views. I hope I can still be your friend, though.”
“I suppose,” said Mia. “You were at least nice. “So what brings you to Kinetica, and who are your new friends?”
“Looking for someone. I’m not really supposed to talk about it. As for them, well, you know Ozzie and Redek, and you’ve met Arkady there. This big adorable fella is Garga, and his little friend is Tengu.” The frog-like man on Garga’s shoulder waved. “And this debonair gentleman is Captain Kirby of our ship, the Harbinger.” The weasel-man walked up and bowed before Mia, kissing her hand. “A pleasure to meet you milady,” he said.
Mina added, “We have two other crewmembers, Teufel and Maverick Daemonhand, but Teufel hardly ever leaves the ship, and Maverick always keeps to himself, usually at the local brothel.” Mina made a face of disgust. “He’s a womanizer of the worst kind, and a murderer two. I don’t like him.” She continued, “Well, I hope to see you around. I assume you’re the new relief guards we heard about. Farewell.” She smiled and turned to leave. Kirby gave one last sweeping bow and slipped out the door.
“Well, I wonder if they have anything to do with the strange happenings around town,” said Allendar.
“Are you accusing them of being involved?” asked Konno.
“Not the cause, but perhaps they are investigating it, which we might be called to do as well. Something is up, and not just here, or back home, it’s happening all over the world.”
That night Konno had trouble sleeping, Allendar’s chilling words spinning through her mind.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment