Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Grace family get acquainted with their new hom

A story I wrote for my English class ^^;

Chapter 1 - The Grace family get acquainted with their new hom

Chapter 1 - The Grace family get acquainted with their new hom
“We’re nearly there now kids, I’m sure you’ll love your new home once you see it” Mrs. Grace said taking her eyes off the road to lean back and smile at her two children sitting in the back seats.
Leon and Lorraine both looked up sulkily and shrugged grudgingly at their mother, who at this time had already turned back around to take a sharp left turn. Leon was 11 years old and Lorraine was 14. Although their age gap isn’t that big, their personalities and looks are completely different. Leon is small and skinny with short spikey black hair, which never seems to go how he wants it. While Lorraine is tall, plump and has perfect long straight brown hair that she only has to brush once and it looks great. Leon has a soft spot for all kinds of animals and insects and would love to be a vet when he’s older. But unfortunately Lorraine doesn’t share this same spot and thinks all creepy crawlies are disgusting and gross, and has a habit of sneaking into Leon’s bedroom in the middle of the night and killing all of his bug collections and denying it or saying it was a accident In the morning once Leon had noticed, ofcourse Leon had never been able to prove that she had done it on purpose, but he knew. “Oh Look! I can see our new house from here!” Mrs. Grace exclaimed excitedly and pointed out the window at huge far away trees to the left.
“What! Where? All I see are trees!” Lorraine shouted at her mother in a puzzled voice while leaning across Leon to see out the window, her face pressed against the glass.
“I do wish you wouldn’t shout” Leon groaned covering his ear closest to his sister.
“Look over there, Lori” Mrs. Grace said pointing again but higher this time “through the gap” Lorraine and Leon both gaze up at the huge majestic trees and then they saw it, through a tiny a gap in the middle was the clear sight of what looked like a tiny house, they could only see it for a second and so could not really make it out but it looked sort of like one of those old haunted mansions from horror movies.
“Awwwwwwwwwwww but mum” Lorraine protested “it’s out in the middle of nowhere! You know I’ve never wanted to live in the countryside!”
“Now come on Lori, how do you know you won’t like it? You’ve never
been in the countryside in your whole life” Mrs. Grace said in one of her
reassuring voices.
“But mummm!” Lorraine moaned, leaning forward to hold onto the back of her mother’s seat.
“No buts Lori! We’ll live a happy life here and that’s final!” Mrs. Grace snapped back angrily. “Mum nearly never gets angry” Leon thought “but when she does it’s best not to argue with her” Leon looked over to Lorraine and realised she must be thinking the same thing, because she leaned back into her seat without saying a word, her eyes filled with tears. Leon knew these were fake tears though, because it was a well known fact to Leon and Lorraine that their mum hated to make them cry and if she ever saw she had, she’d be overcome with guilt and apologise, even if she wasn’t in the wrong. Instantly, as if Mrs. Grace had some sort of ESP for sensing tears, she looked into her rear-view mirror at Lorraine, turned her head around and said “ohhh I’m sorry Lori, please don’t be upset I didn’t mean to shout at you like that, sorry!” Lorraine looked up at her mother with her big sad puppy dog eyes and said in a low voice “that’s alright mommy” Mrs. Grace turned back around to concentrate on the road, happy that her daughter was no longer upset. Lorraine glanced at Leon with a smug smile across her face as if to say ‘Did you see that? I never lose’ Leon just looked away, he was used to Lorraine’s acting.
“You should star in movies” Leon mumbled to himself under his breath.
“What? Did you say something?” Lorraine said giving Leon a suspicious look.
“No nothing” Leon replied with a fake smile, showing his straight pearly white teeth.
Mrs. Grace suddenly pulled up the car, causing both Leon and Lorraine to fly forward into the seat in front “WE’RE HERE!!” Mrs. Grace shouted merrily, sounding like a little kid with a new toy. Leon and Lorraine both gazed out the window at the house they were parked out side and the house seemed to stare back at them. It was old and rusty looking with most the painted peeled off and windows broken, and had two large chimneys on top of the pointed roof. It sort of looked like the building was being held up by all the cobwebs on it. But that wasn’t the worst of it, it was dark and gloomy with a huge black cloud behind it that never seemed to move. And it was where they’d be sleeping tonight and probably for the rest of their lives, Leon and Lorraine both realised to their horror.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment