Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Chapter 1: Re-Assignment

Chapter 2 - Chapter 1: Re-Assignment

Chapter 2 - Chapter 1: Re-Assignment


Title: Re-Assignment

Brian ThunderEagle: Cole Thurston, 2nd Lieutenant

Stationed: Pluto Station 13x5, Operations Manager

Opened: June 17, 2004; 6:00pm GMT -5

Closed: June 18, 2004; 2:03am GMT -5

My name is Lieutenant Cole Thurston, I joined the UEM 4 years ago hoping to help push back the Galactic Authority that threatens our galaxy. I had planned on being on an attack vessel or a fighter craft at least. Instead I wake up every day on the same boring station floating just outside Pluto's orbit. I know perimeter observation is an important job, but I would rather be fighting...making a difference.

As I made my way to the command deck, I found my mind wandering. Not that this was uncommon lately, however this is the first time I have ended up on the wrong side of the station. “Lieutenant Cole, please report to the command deck” came suddenly over the intercom. Correcting myself I started heading in the correct direction and onto the command deck.

“Yes Julia, what is it?” I asked, expecting a typical report of no activity.

“We have been contacted by the UEM, they are requesting an immediate conference with you.” For a second I thought I was daydreaming, and then I realized she was waiting for my response.

“Thank you Julia, I will contact them now.”

“That won't be necessary sir, they are waiting for you in the conference room.”

Now this was surprising news, it's very rare that UEM requests a conference especially with a small little station like this. As I walked into the conference room, I couldn't help but be startled by 3 people sitting in the conference room. Not the fact that there were 3 of them…but the fact that they were here in person and not using video conference.

“Lieutenant Thurston, have a seat” said one of the men in a friendly tone. Then I noticed the ranks, one commander and 2 Majors. I snapped to attention and saluted, completely forgetting that the commander had even said anything to me.

“Lieutenant, that isn't necessary. Please sit down, we need to talk.” I sat down trying to smile but one can't help but be concerned when summoned in to a sudden live conference like this, among a commander a 2 majors no less.

Nervously and quickly I came up with something to say as they shuffled through a few papers. “Commander Ian Fletcher, it is an honor to meet you. I've heard about your recent progress against the GA.”

“Yes, we have had a little success. But I wouldn't give myself anymore credit than any other commander. My efforts rely as much on others as they do mine.”

“May I ask the commander why I have been summoned to this conference?” stuttering a little in my words.

“Take it easy Cole, you aren't in trouble or anything. I'm here to talk to you about a change of assignment.” Hearing this did put me at ease. Although I haven't done anything wrong to my knowledge, you never know. I continued to sit there and listen contently to the commander.

“I know you don't like working on this station and that you have put in multiple requests for a change in assignment. Lucky for you Captain Isaac Malone has requested an in person conference with you. Have you heard of the Verethragna?”

“Not much sir, last I heard the Thragna wasn't going to be finished for several more months. Other than that all I know is that it's a brand new ship.” I replied struggling to remember anything else about the ship. I had only briefly overlooked information about the Thragna.

“The ship will actually be finished a less than 2 weeks. Isaac Malone has been assigned captain of the Verethragna, or Thragna as you call it. He happened to overlook your request for re-assignment and I guess he admires your eagerness to get out there on the battlefield. He informed me that he will find a position for you on the Thragna once he conducts his interview. Of course the choice is yours, is this what you want?” I was still in disbelief that this had happened, it felt like a dream but I knew it wasn't.

I stood up and saluted, “Yes Sir, it would be an honor to join the crew of the Verethragna.” The Commander stood up and executed a salute in return.

“Excellent, we are scheduled to leave in 2 days. In the meantime, I would like a tour of the station and status reports on everything. The station will be transferred to Lieutenant Commander Olivia Norwich when we leave.”

“Certainly sir, right this way.” I escorted the Commander and the two Lt. Commanders out of the conference room.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment