Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Chapter 2: First Assignment

Chapter 3 - Chapter 2: First Assignment

Chapter 3 - Chapter 2: First Assignment


Title: First Assignment

Cheniah ThunderEagle: Kayla Marcell, Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stationed: Houston Flight Academy, Pilot

Opened: June 18, 2004; 10:17pm GMT -5

Closed: June 18, 2004; 11:56pm GMT -5

My name is Kayla Marcell, I am a Petty officer 2nd class. I am currently housed in the Houston Flight Academy, training to become a fighter pilot. I have nearly come to the end of my term here and then I will have the chance to go out on the battle field. However I can already predict it will be some time before I ever get the chance to help defend the Earth in a real battle.

I have heard rumor about a new ship called the Verethragna, it was assembled by the UEM and it will be used to possibly stop the threat of the Galactic Authority. It would be such an honor to fly a ship of such importance. But I know that the UEM are looking to recruit a veteran. One who has had much experience in being a helmsman, and has been in the field.

I sat by the window, my elbow propped on the window sill, my cheek resting in the palm of my hand. I gazed out at the darkening sky, and the newly showing stars. I daydreamed of the day that I might have the opportunity to fly a ship through that vast screen of black and the bright twinkling stars. See the planets of our solar system, Saturn's rings, and Jupiter's red raging storm commonly known as the red spot, Mars' red surface. All the planets, I was dying to see them all.

I had been in space before for training. However I never went far from earth, and if I did happen to go near the moon it was always in the company of one of my superiors. I just wanted to see the planets on my own. A sudden knock at my door shook me from my thoughts, wondering who could possibly be at my room at this time of night puzzled me.



I got up from my spot by the window to answer the door. To my surprise it was Commander Ian Fletcher.

I immediately snapped to attention and saluted. “Commander!” He nodded and I put my arm down.

“Please come in.” I stepped aside and gestured towards a nearby chair. He stepped inside but did not sit down, instead he walked towards the window I had been sitting at.

“Kayla Marcell.” He paused for a few seconds. “Petty Officer 2nd Class.”

“Yes sir.” I responded...he continually gazed out the window.

“Beautiful isn't it?” He finally said after some time of silence.

“Excuse me sir?” I asked him, a bit confused.

“The sky.” Lifting his head just slightly as he looked.

“Oh yes.” I paused for a moment. “I love to sit there and star gaze.” I could see him smile slightly.

“So I have heard.” He turned towards me. “I have also heard of your outstanding performance as a pilot.”

“Really sir?” I never would have thought that someone of such a high rank had heard of my flight performance.

“I understand that it is your desire to fly a ship in space.”

“Yes sir, that's the reason I came to the academy.”

“Well Officer Marcell, I have some good news for you.” My attention was completely focused on him. I could feel my heart beating in my chest waiting for what he was about to say. “You have been specifically chosen for a position most pilots at this academy can only dream of.” He paused for a few seconds before continuing. “You are going to be part of a very special crew working for the UEM.” He said with pride. My eyes widened in surprise. I had just finished up my term and already I had been given a position with a crew.

“Now keep in mind this will be no ordinary crew you will be working with. All of them, like you, have been hand picked for their special qualities. Are you willing to take the position as assistant helmsman?”

When given this question I stood up straight and said with pride. “I would be honored to take this position sir.”

“Excellent Officer Marcell, you are requested to report to the Los-Vegas Space Port in one week's time. Here are your flight papers.” He handed me a file and I took it.

“Good day Officer.”

I saluted him once more. “Good day sir and thank you for this opportunity.” He tipped his hat and left. As soon as he was gone I went to my desk and began to go through the flight papers. I was both anxious and a little nervous about all this. But I knew it would all work out for the best.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment