Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Wonderful

This fic is about the hardships Joey and Serenity had to face before their parents divorce. Living with a mom who has to work most of the day to support her children, and a drunkie dad who even forgets he has children. (Song: Wonderful, by Everclear)

Chapter 1 - Wonderful

Chapter 1 - Wonderful


Wonderful

As we all may or may not know, Joey Wheeler's parents are divorced. My theory is that he lives with his dad but he never had enough money to pay off debts because his dad is a heavy drinker. Maybe that is why Joey has to work a job and why he thinks Seto Kaiba is a stuck-up rich brat, because he cold never dream of having that much money. Now, let us take it back to when Joey was younger, and his parents were fighting, about to be divorced…



His parents' screaming echoes in his ears as hed runs up the stairs to his room. Joey Wheeler is only five years old, and blames is parents' fighting on himself. He believes he had caused it.




I close my eyes when I get too sad

I think thoughts that I know are bad

Close my eyes and I count to ten

Hope its over when I open them



The tears well in Joey's eyes as he thinks of the worse to come. Serenity also knows something is wrong and walks into the room, dragging her teddy bear on the floor. Tears rolls down the three-year-olds cheeks at the sight of tears in her brother's eyes.

Joey, who always wants to set a good example for his sister, straightens himself up and wipes the tears from his eyes. While comforting his baby sister, he looks around the room.

Boxes of his sister's and mother's belongings was packed up. Joey had a feeling that they were going somewhere, and maybe not coming back, but he wasn't going with them.



I want the things that I had before

Like a Star Wars poster on my bedroom door

I wish I could to ten

Make everything be wonderful again



More glass shatters against a wall downstairs. Joey hears his mother's screaming, and then his dad's rough, hateful, drunken voice follows. He cringes as he listens to the sharp, harsh curses that his mother and father yell at one another. Serenity begins crying again, after only stopping for a moment to listen too.

“Joey! I don't wanna have to leave here! I know I'm gonna have to, but I don't wanna have to leave you behind!” Serenity sobs, burying her head into Joey's shirt.

“I don't wanna have to either, Serenity. Who knows? Maybe things will get better around here,” Joey replies reassuringly, although he highly doubts his words.



Hope my mom and I hope my dad

Will figure out why they get so mad

Hear them scream I hear them fight

They say bad words that make me wanna cry



Close my eyes when I go to bed

And I dream of angels who make me smile

I feel better when I hear them say

Everything will be wonderful someday



The next day, Joey wakes up to see his mother's sweet face, smiling half-heartedly smiling down upon him.

“Sweetie, wake up, time to go to school,” she says with a hurt look in her eyes. Joey figured that she may still be thinking about what had happened that night.

“Mommy… do you and Daddy still love each other?” Joey asked, not intending to hurt his mom further. His mother's eyes filled with tears.

“Honey, I promise, everything will be wonderful again someday,” she replied, despite the tears in her eyes.



Promises mean everything when you're little

And the world is so big

I just don't understand how

You can smile with all those tears in your eyes

Tell me everything is wonderful now



Please don't tell me everything is wonderful now



Joey's mother had dropped him and Serenity off at preschool that day. Even though he romped and played with the other kids, Joey still felt broken and torn up inside. Maybe if he pretended if nothing was wrong, nothing would be.

Serenity had thought the same thing. She would swing on the swings on the playground merrily, as if nothing was going on between her mom and dad.

Their mother had to work until late that night, but their father had forgotten to pick them up. It was nothing new to Joey and Serenity, for they knew that their father was out at the local bar, getting drunk.

Joey had no intentions of going home that day, but forced himself to walk home with his sister. When they had gotten home, they found their dad passed out on the couch from over-drinking. The two youngsters trotted up to their rooms.



I go to school and I run and play


I tell the kids that it's all okay

I laugh aloud so my friends won't know

When the bell rings I just don't wanna go home



Go to my room and I close my eyes

I make believe that I have a new life

I don't believe you when you say

Everything will be wonderful someday



Promises mean everything hen you're little

And the world is so big

I just don't understand how

You can smile with all those tears in your eyes

When you tell me everything is wonderful now



No

No, I don't wanna hear you tell me everything is wonderful now

No

No, I don't wanna hear you tell me everything is wonderful now



Their mother filed the divorce the very next day. She couldn't take the drunken fights anymore. Taking Serenity with her, they packed their things and left. Before driving down the road, Joey's mother told him, “You'll understand someday.”

Serenity was plastered to the window, crying waterfall as he drove out onto the road. Joey wanted to runs after them screaming, but the rough hand of his father on his shoulder held him back.



I don't wanna hear you say


That I will understand someday

No, no, no, no

I don't wanna hear you say

You both have grown in a different way

No, no, no, no

I don't wanna meet your friends

And I don't wanna start over again

I just want my life to be the same

Just like it used to be

Some days I hate everything

I hate everything

Everyone and everything

Please don't ell me everything is wonderful now…

I don't wanna hear you tell me everything is wonderful now

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

ShadowAlchemist100 on July 15, 2005, 5:40:22 AM

ShadowAlchemist100 on
ShadowAlchemist100*a single tear falls from eye* That was sooooooooo SAD!!! *now waterfalls of tears fall*

*Kagome Higurashi*

JoeyWheelerLover on July 6, 2005, 12:30:03 PM

JoeyWheelerLover on
JoeyWheelerLover*cries* OMG! That's soooo sad, but probably all true! *cries more* At least things are better for him now...........