Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Past Remembered

Ishida Uryuu has discovered that he is truly not the last Quincy. There is another, a female, Takisaki Hikawa. Ishida insists that Hikawa remain a secret.

But what will happen when a certain pretty boy shinigami falls unwittingly for the Quincy?

Chapter 2 - Past Remembered

Chapter 2 - Past Remembered
Hikawa stood by the forest river waiting patiently for Ishida. Since parting yesterday, he has insisted on some practice. Not that either of them really needed it. Both were excellent shots with a bow. Ishida just felt that they needed to be on top of their game with the increased amount of Hollow appearances in the area. Both Quincy had spent that night fighting Hollow one right after the other. Even the increased number of shinigami hadn't deterred the numbers at all. They just kept coming. The shinigami presence had caused a problem for Hikawa though.

She didn't mind at all that they were in Karakura Town. In fact, she welcomed their presence. However, she had to constantly monitor their reitsu in order to avoid exposing herself as a Quincy. The only shinigami who knew were those in Urahara's shop. Not even Kurosaki Ichigo knew.

Urahara Kisuke had been the first to discover the second Quincy ten years ago.

Urahara Kisuke sat in his shop eating with the small black cat whom he called Yoruichi. He looked up, sensing a strange new reitsu that seemed very unstable. He looked across the table at Yoruichi. "That reitsu has a familiar feel to it. Perhaps we should check on it."

"Yes, I agree." Yoruichi nodded lapping up the last of her milk from the saucer. She padded out the door with Urahara close behind her. They hurried across the town towards the higher end. The houses became larger and more extravagant. "There." Yoruichi darted toward a large house with the front door ajar.

"The reitsu is really out of control." Urahara kept his hand on his Katana as he entered the yard.

Yoruichi slipped inside quickly before calling Urahara in after her. The air was filled with the stench of newly spilt blood. Urahara coughed covering his mouth. He moved to the living room where Yoruichi was and stopped at the door. Two human, one male, one female, lay on the floor. Pools of their own blood still spreading about them. Urahara walked inside feeling a faint reitsu from the male still fighting to stay alive.

"Yoruichi, he's alive." Urahara knelt down next to the man and carefully turned him over. A jagged knife wound bled profusely from his chest and one from his stomach. "Hang in there, sir. We'll get you some help." Urahara felt another reitsu flare violently and looked up.

"P-please….my…daughter….." The man spoke harshly. His voice barely audible. "Quincy….save her…."

Urahara looked at the man confused. He wasn't a Quincy but…what could this man be talking about?

"Save….her…" The man breathed the finally word. His reitsu died out and the other flared violently again.

Urahara looked towards the stronger reitsu. "Yoruichi…someone else is here." He gently closed the man's eyes and stood. Blood covered him but he didn't care. " I need to find this man's daughter."

"That reitsu may be hers, Kisuke. Find her. I'll stay here and let you know if whoever did this comes back." Yoruichi jumped up on the table.

Urahara nodded and followed the ebbing reitsu. If I don't find her quick, Hollows will appear all over. Urahara thought as he ascended the stairs. He heard a small gasp and the girl's reitsu flared again. He saw a small glowing light coming from down the hall. He walked toward it and slowly pushed open the door.

"Stay away!" A small girl cried out. She held a glowing blue bow composed of spirit particles. Her arrow positioned towards his heart. She was covered in blood and tears left trails down her face. She was frightened and shaking against the wall.

"Sh…it's alright. I won't hurt you." Urahara held up his sheathed katana before setting it on the floor. "See? I've come to help you." He took a step forward into the room.

"W-who are you?" The girl never dropped her bow from his heart. "I don't know you."

So she's the Quincy. I understand now. Urahara thought to himself. He looked at the frightened girl. "My name is Urahara Kisuke. I own a shop across town. I sensed your reitsu." Urahara looked at her kindly. "I promise, I will not hurt you." He knelt on the floor several paces from the shivering child. "Don't be afraid. It's alright. You can drop your bow, child."

"But…my parents…he…he killed them!" The girl's reitsu flared higher this time.

A Hollow is sure to show now…Urahara leaned forward. "Please, you need to hide your reitsu. You'll attract Hollow."

This seemed to frighten the girl more. She started shaking violently and lost control of the spirit particles. Her bow disappeared and Urahara rushed forward scooping her up in his arms. He stopped long enough to pick up his katana and used shunpo to find Yoruichi. The girl curled up in his arms and clung tightly to his blood stained shirt.

"I see you've found her." The small cat said darting from the house after Urahara. "Her reitsu isn't subsiding though. We'll need to calm her down."

"I know." Urahara held the trembling girl to his chest as he went. "We'll hide her at the shop for a while."

"You're going to help a Quincy?"

"Yes, Yoruichi. We're going to help a Quincy."

"Hikawa! Sorry I'm late! I got held up!" Ishida said running up to her. He stopped and looked at her face. "Are you alright?"

"Hmm?" Hikawa wiped her eyes. "Yes, I'm fine, Ishida. I didn't notice." She stood up and dusted the back of her pants off. "Well, practice then?"

Ishida regarded her a moment then set his school satchel on the ground. "Yeah. Are you ready?"

"Yeah." Hikawa summoned her bow and waited. "What'll it be this time? Shoot until our hands bleed?"

"No, no. Nothing extreme. Just perfecting our aim."

Hikawa pulled back an arrow and let it fly separating a falling leaf. "Like that?"

Ishida stared. "Yes…like that…" He shifted slightly embarrassed.

"Don't feel bad, Ishida. I've been an active Quincy longer than you have." Hikawa let her bow arm hang at her side.

"Yeah, yeah…so you've said." Ishida raised his bow and shot several arrows at the trees. A few caught leaves but two flew free. "Hmm…."

Hikawa shook her head and smiled. "Don't worry. The Hollow are always bigger than a leaf."

"Heh, right." Ishida adjusted his glasses. "Hey, Hikawa…um…when I came up you were crying…"

Hikawa nodded. "I was thinking about my parents…"

Ishida nodded. "I'm sorry to have brought it up."

Hikawa shook her head. "No, it's okay."

Ishida looked up at her and gasped. "Hikawa look out!"

"Huh?" Hikawa said startled. "Ah!" A large hand reached around her waist lifting her from the ground.

Ishida took up his bow and aimed it at the new Hollow. "How did we not see it coming?"

"Just kill it, Ishida!" Hikawa yelled. She tried twisting in the Hollow's grip to fire at it but another reitsu in the area caused her to dissipate the bow. "Shinigami are coming!"

"I know!" Ishida fired twice at the Hollow hitting his mark. The beast roared but kept its grip on the girl Quincy. "I swear these things are after you!"

"Not now, Ishida! Gah!" Hikawa winced as the Hollow tightened its grip on her. "Sh-shoot it!"

"I'm trying!" Ishida fired again cracking the Hollow's mask. "Die already!" He fired again and the mask shattered.

The Hollow cried out in final agony as he disappeared. Hikawa screamed from high up in the air as the hand holding her disappeared.

"Hikawa!" Ishida tried to use Hirenyaku but a hand at his collar held him back.

"Oi, where you goin', Quincy?" A voice behind him said.

"Idiot! Can't you see she's falling?" Ishida tried to wrench free.

"Ishida!" Hikawa screamed again. She could see the shinigami standing behind him. "Ishi- huh?" Hikawa felt herself stop falling as strong arms supported her.

"Are you alright, Hikawa?" Yumichika asked. He flashed to the ground several feet from Ishida. Yumichika seemed to glow in the sunlight causing Hikawa to blush.

"Y-yes…thank you…" Hikawa managed to say.

"Put her down already! She's safe!" Ishida yelled struggling against his apparent capture. Ikkaku d

"Oh but I don't think she'll be able to stand." Yumichika met Hikawa's eyes. Violet looking into gray and catching in the moment. Each stared at the other for a moment. Yumichika felt something he hadn't felt for another person. He was confused for a moment but when he saw the spark in Hikawa's eyes he understood it.

"You're even more beautiful than I remembered." Yumichika spoke softly.

"Thank you." Hikawa whispered. She blinked surprised at his statement.

"Oi! Put her down!" Ishida shook his fist.

Ikkaku slapped the back of his head. "Can't ya see they're havin' a moment?"

"Ow…" Ishida rubbed the back of his head.

Hikawa bite her bottom lip never taking her gaze from the shinigami's face. "Thank you for saving me."

"I would never let you fall." Yumichika smiled setting her gently on her feet. "Are you going to be alright?"

Hikawa nodded. "Yes, thank you." Her face remained flushed and warm.

Yumichika watched her a moment to make sure she was stable before turning to Ishida. "What happened?"

"Ch. What does it look like? A Hollow happened." Ishida stomped forward. "We were just fine until you showed up." A scowl plastered across his face.

"Didn't look like it ta me." Ikkaku scoffed.

"Please don't fight again." Hikawa said. "It's not really decent behavior."

"I would have to agree, Ikkaku." Yumichika stood behind Hikawa.

"What're you a couple now?" Ikkaku asked.

"No!" Ishida yelled.

"It ain't up ta you, Quincy." Ikkaku smirked.

Hikawa blushed. "We've only just met…"

"See? She's right. You cannot rush into these types of things." Yumichika smiled. "More pressing at the moment though, Hikawa. I've noticed something with these Hollows and their behavior."

Hikawa turned to look at him. "Oh? What would that be?"

Ikkaku let go of Ishida's collar and spoke. "They seem ta show up around ya a lot."

"What?" Hikawa said. "They do?"

Ishida nodded. "I've noticed, too. I wanted to talk to you about it earlier but…"

"The question is why?" Ikkaku interrupted.

"I-I don't know." Hikawa shook her head. "I just thought I was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Almost every time a Hollow appears, you are nearby." Ishida said. "It can't be just a coincidence, Hikawa. For whatever reason, these Hollow are after you. As if someone were leading them. Keep in mind this is coming from Urahara. He stopped me on the way here."

"What's so special about ya, Hikawa? Why're they after ya?" Ikkaku asked with a scowl.

Hikawa sat down on a nearby rock. She shook her head silently and pulled one leg up to her chest. She hadn't noticed they were popping up around her and she usually kept her reitsu well hidden. It just didn't make sense to her at all. She was a Quincy, the same as Ishida. He wasn't being attacked so why her?

"Hikawa." Yumichika knelt on one knee in front of her. "Is there something we should know about you? About any abilities you have that a normal human wouldn't?" His face was concerned, something that Ikkaku rarely saw on his best friend's face.

Hikawa's breath caught in her throat a moment. Urahara's voice from years ago echoed in her ears. Never let anyone know you are a Quincy. She looked at Yumichika and opened her mouth to respond.

"What makes you think she does?" Ishida interjected. "If so, wouldn't she have used them to fend off the Hollow?"

"Don't talk as if I'm not here, Ishida." Hikawa said before returning her attention to Yumichika. "I've none to mention."

Yumichika nodded. "Alright then, it's decided." He stood up and looked at Ikkaku as if to confirm it.

Ikkaku sighed and nodded. "Seems like it. I'll report in ta Soul Society and see if Hitsugaya Taicho's taskforce will leave early."

"Wait, what are you talking about?" Ishida asked.

Ikkaku disappeared without another word leaving Ishida gaping after him.

"What is he doing?" Hikawa asked quietly. "You don't need to call more shinigami here…"

"My mission was to investigate the cause of the Hollow appearances. Now that we know that, it has to be reported. Since the cause is you, Hikawa, we have to act fast." Yumichika took the girl's hands in his. "We'll need the taskforce to find the one leading the Hollow."

Hikawa blushed, looking down at her pale hands in the shinigami's. She was unable to resist a shiver that crept up her spine. Yumichika's brows furrowed and he moved closer, much to Ishida's chagrin. Hikawa looked up again meeting his eyes. She thought she saw something in them she recognized. The desire to keep a secret at all costs. It was something she had grown to understand in the years since Urahara had saved her. Without her knowledge or consent, a single tear slipped down her cheek.

Yumichika tilted his head to one side and gently moved to brush the tear away with his thumb. "What was that for?" He asked in a quiet, calming voice. He rested his palm against her cheek and waited for an answer.

"I-it's nothing. I'm sorry for the inconvenience." Hikawa almost whispered.

Yumichika gave her a soft smile and tucked some of her loose hair behind her ear. "Hey, don't say that. You are not an inconvenience."

"Whoa, hey. Hands of the sister, pretty boy." Ishida said grasping the shinigami's arm.

Yumichika turned and looked at him in surprise. "Sister?" He then looked back at Hikawa. I never noticed before…they have the same hair. Could it be?

"That's right, sister. Now hands off." Ishida crossed his arms impatiently.

"Th-then you're-" Yumichika backed a few feet away.

"No!" Hikawa jumped up. "I-I mean…he's kind of like a brother but…we're not related. Not by blood at all."

Yumichika relaxed. "Oh, good. Then you're not one." Yumichika smiled and put one hand on his hip.

"One what?" Hikawa asked.

"You've no idea how relieved I am that you aren't a Quincy. I was afraid I was falling for a member of the lower race."

"O-oh…" Hikawa said. She bit her lip trying to hid the pain she felt from his response. Ishida looked at her worriedly. The sting on Yumichika's comment was sure to bring tears later. Ishida turned a glare at the shinigami.

"How rude of you to refer to the proud Quincy race in that way." Ishida said angrily. "You've no right to judge a people you don't know." The teen put an arm around Hikawa's waist. "We're leaving." Then without a moment's notice he used his Hirenyaku to transport both Hikawa and himself away.

Yumichika stared after them confused. "That Quincy is an interesting one…" He shook his head and turned to face the town. "He doesn't usually react like that. Oh well, I suppose it's nothing. But…what was that look I saw on Hikawa's face just before they left? I swear I saw a flicker of pain. No, I must have been imagining it. She must've felt bad for the Quincy or something." He looked out over Karakura Town and sighed.

Ikkaku wouldn't be back until well into the evening so Yumichika had to do the fighting during his absence. A new Hollow's reitsu pressed itself upon him and he flash stepped towards it. "If these things are after Hikawa, I'd better defeat them before they get to her." Yumichika said to himself, disappearing into the forest.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment