Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Return

Ishida Uryuu has discovered that he is truly not the last Quincy. There is another, a female, Takisaki Hikawa. Ishida insists that Hikawa remain a secret.

But what will happen when a certain pretty boy shinigami falls unwittingly for the Quincy?

Chapter 4 - Return

Chapter 4 - Return
Ikkaku stepped back through the Senkaimon Gate near the river. He grumbled to himself, irritated that the task-force had left before he got there. He sighed and used Shunpo to find his best friend.

Yumichika sheathed his katana flipping his hair. He smiled to himself as he watched the Hollow disintegrate in front of him. "Another beautiful victory." He said.

"Cheh. That's rare ta see ya fightin', Yumichika." Ikkaku landed beside him.
Yumichika turned and smiled. "I do my share of the work, Ikkaku. Besides I know how much you like fighting. I wouldn't step in to fight then."

"Heh. Right."

Both shinigami looked up, hearing the distant roaring of a group of Hollow. Ikkaku was the first to take off, already yelling his battle cry. Yumichika shook his head before following him. He landed at the edge of a clearing in the forest.
"Ack!" He ducked quickly, dodging a rouge blue spirit arrow. "Watch it, Quincy! You almost messed up my beautiful hair!"

"Don't get in my way then!" Ishida yelled back. He dodged a Hollow's fist and fired a spray of arrows. "Find Hikawa!"

"What?" Yumichika yelled. He couldn't hear Ishida over the chaos. More Hollow appeared and even three Menos stepped from a garganta in the sky.

"Find Hikawa!" Ishida yelled zipping passed the fifth seat.

Yumichika looked around, unable to see her. He jumped up into the air in hopes of a better view.

"Yumichika, move!" Ikkaku yelled. Yumichika turned just as Ikkaku appeared in front of him, holding up his shikai sword horizontally. A Hollow's fist connected with it shoving Ikkaku hard into Yumichika. Both men grunted from the force and Yumichika grimaced.
"Argh!"Ikkaku pushed the Hollow's fist away and moved quickly to slash its chest. "Whaddya think you're doin? Draw your Zanpakutou!"

"Where's Hikawa?" Yumichika yelled at his friend.

"Hell if I know!" Ikkaku yelled back.
Yumichika let out a frustrated sigh. He saw someone with long dark hair duck into the trees. "There!" He yelled and took off after the shadow.

Hikawa hid just beyond the tree line. She'd had to hide her bow after only defeating one Hollow because the shinigami showed up. She chose to hide in the trees rather than stand out in the open. She hated hiding her true self and she hating having to depend on everyone else. However, years ago, Urahara had told her that her father had asked him to keep her safe and secret. He'd said it with his dying breath, even. She respected those wishes then and she was trying as hard as she could to respect them now. However, she was finding it more and more difficult as the years passed.

She tried to get Ishida's attention but he couldn't hear her. Neither could anyone else. They were all busy with the Hollow. Every once in a while she would catch a glimpse of someone's Zanpakutou glinting in the setting sun.

"Lookout!" A man's voice yelled just before Hikawa felt his strong arms wrap around her from behind. He lifted her, using Shunpo to move both of them safely away as a Menos' cero burned through the trees she's been standing under. She couldn't see who the shinigami was but she saw two double scythes crossed in front of her. The shinigami stopped and released her, turning around to leap back into action. Hikawa only saw him in a blur when she regained her senses. She hadn't recognized his voice and she stood confused.

"Hikawa are you alright?" Yumichika appeared in front of her. His Zanpakutou was in his hand pointed at the ground. A worried expression on his face.

"Huh?" She blinked a few times before she realized what he had said. "Oh, yes, I'm fine." She nodded tucking her hair behind her ear. "When um…when did you get here?"

Yumichika looked at her in shock. " You almost get hit by a cero and that's what you think to say?" He sheathed his katana.

Hikawa shrugged. "It's fine."

Not knowing what else to say, Yumichika pulled her to him and put his arms around her. Hikawa's arms moved up in front of her and were now pressed between their bodies on his chest. His hand moved to the back of her head and gently pressed her forehead to his shoulder. Hikawa blushed feeling very small next to him.

"Please, be more careful." Yumichika said quietly. "I never imagined that I would fall for a human but now that I have," He lifted her face up to look at him. " I find myself concerned with someone other than myself."

"I'm sorry." Hikawa said.

"Don't be. I care about you. There's nothing wrong with that."

Hikawa blushed again and ducked her head. She bit her lower lip in thought.

"Come, let's get you somewhere safe." Yumichika said.

"Oh. Okay." Hikawa responded, not looking up.

Yumichika nodded and turns, swinger her onto his back. "Hold on." He waited to feel Hikawa's hands on his shoulders before he took off. Yoruichi appeared beside them and motioned for Yumichika to follow her. He nodded and turned in the direction she indicated. Hikawa recognized the area they entered as her neighborhood. She watched as they neared her home. She'd only moved back into it six years ago. Urahara helped her fix her house to hid her reitsu just like at the shop.

Yoruichi stopped on the front porch followed by Yumichika. Hikawa helped herself down and stood facing them.
"Yoruichi-san , why did you bring me here?" Hikawa asked.

Yoruichi put one hand on her hip before answering. "The concentrated amount of Hollow was just too dangerous for you with all the shinigami fighting. You should be safe here."

Hikawa sighed and nodded. She understood what Yoruichi couldn't say in front of Yumichika. She reached inside her pocket for the house keys. Yoruichi slapped Yumichika on the back.

"Stay with her." The female shinigami said then disappeared off the porch.

Hikawa sighed again. "Come on in, then, Yumichika-san." She opened the door and stepped inside.

Yumichika didn't hear her. He stared up at the three story house in amazement. The front door was guarded by two vine-wrapped, white columns. The house stood out among others not just because of its size but because it was American styled in nature. It was white all around except for the vines climbing the east side wall.

"Yumichika-san, are you coming in or are you going to stay out there?" Hikawa stood just inside the door, waiting.

Yumichika jumped and looked at her sheepishly. "Sorry, I was just…"

Hikawa nodded. "I know. Everyone is surprised by it. Not many three-storied, American-styled houses in Japan." She stepped back and gestured for him to enter.

Yumichika walked inside looking about him in awe. He's been inside a human's house before but Hikawa's was certainly different. Everything was pristine, in perfect condition as if the house wasn't lived in at al. The living room walls were sage green with white moldings around the doors and along the floor. The mantle was also white and lined with fake ivy along the top. The two couches were dark brown suede divided by a glass-top, oak coffee table.

The shinigami handed Hikawa his katana as per her request and she laid it on the coffee table. "Welcome to my home." Hikawa plopped down on one of the couches and tucked her feet under her. "Go ahead and have a seat, Yumichika-san. No use just standing around."

"I'm sorry…your house is beautiful." Yumichika said taking a seat on the other end of the couch. " I didn't expect it to look quite like this."

Hikawa nodded. "As I said, everyone is surprised the first time. I don't like to brag about my inheritance."
"Inheritance?" Yumichika asked.

Mmmhmm." Hikawa responded. "My parents left behind a fortune, the company and this house when they died. All of it was left to me."

"I didn't know. I apologize for asking." Yumichika said.

"Don't worry about it. It's not your fault." Hikawa smiled.

Yumichika nodded silently. Hikawa was turning out like him. Her parents were gone and she had a best friend she could count on. Just like him. Yet, she smiled. Even when speaking of her loss, she smiled. She was strong, beautiful and intelligent. Yumichika was surprised to find himself falling for her. He'd never felt like that before. At least as far as he could remember. After a few minutes, Yumichika felt Hikawa's arm hit the couch beside him. He turned, startled and looked at her. She's fallen asleep. He thought to himself.

Yumichika stood from the couch and picked up a blanket, laying it over her gently. He left his Zanpakutou on the table and started exploring the living room. Photographs lined the mantle above the fireplace. Yumichika moved closer and looked at them. Most of them were of a young black haired girl. Yumichika guessed it was Hikawa as a small child. She was smiling and laughing with her parents at the park. Hikawa's father appeared Japanese but her mother was blonde and blue eyed. Yumichika looked at each photo on the mantle. Her parents ceased to be in them when she reached age 10. She seemed sad even though she was smiling in them. Urahara Kisuke appeared beside her in one of the latter photos along with Yoruichi and Tessai.

"Very interesting." Yumichika said to himself. He moved away from the mantle and to the bookshelf. Most of the books looked like they belonged to a university professor. He scrunched his nose at the high level math books. He was an intelligent man but he had a hard time comprehending what the books covered. "Very interesting, indeed."

The shinigami abandoned the bookshelf and examined the little items around the room. Vases, pictures, and other figurines stood about the room. One vase had several cracks in it and looked like it had been glued back together. A small paper sat next to it. "Fixed by Keigo." Yumichika read. He chuckled. "It was probably broken by Keigo first. Obnoxious kid." He shook his head, one hand on his hip. He heard a noise behind him and turned to see Hikawa looking at him. She blushed catching his eye and looked down.

"S-sorry." She said. "I didn't mean to disturb you."

Yumichika smiled. "Don't apologize, it's quite alright. I don't mind it at all."

Hikawa nodded minutely and bit her lip. She looked back up at him. "Keigo didn't break it," she said. "I did."

Yumichika looked at her a moment. "You broke the vase? Forgive me but you seem far too…put together to do something like that."

Hikawa nodded again. " I was in a moment of distress. Luckily that vase was the only casualty."

Yumichika nodded once in understanding. He didn't ask her why or what the problem had been. He thought it best to let the subject drop. Hikawa hugged herself then stood up. She turned and smiled at the shinigami.

"I apologize if I have bored you. I'm not much f an entertainer."

Yumichika sighed. "You seem to apologize for quite a lot of things when you really don't need to. It's fine, Hikawa, really it is." He took her hand and pulled her toward the back of the house. "Please if you feel that way, show me your garden. I noticed it as we approached the property earlier."

"You did? Oh…s-sure." Hikawa blushed. "I can show you." She took the lead and guided Yumichika through the kitchen and out the back door. The entire yard was filled with roses of all shapes and sizes, species and colors. Hikawa lead him along the winding path describing each individual rose bush in turn. Yumichika marveled at the vast amount of colors and types of roses. Some even bore two or more colors within the same bud.

"But my most prized and precious roses are these." Hikawa stopped in the center of the garden. The shinigami stared. He'd never seen a rose such as the one he faced now.

"But they are black." Yumichika stated confused.

"Not quite, a very deep purple. It is impossible to breed a truly black rose." Hikawa smiled. "I worked hard to get these to this shade and they are precious to me. They are extremely rare and hard to find."

"Like you." Yumichika said.

Hikawa's breath caught in her throat. "W-what?"

"I think you are rare. I've never met anyone quite like you."

"Oh. Thank you." Hikawa blushed, a faint smile played across her lips.

Yumichika nodded and reached out to touch one of the buds. He was surprised by the velvety soft texture that brushed his fingertips.

"You can pick one if you'd like." Hikawa said from behind him.

"Thank you. I think I will. I should like to treasure it. Yumichika moved his hand down the stem to pluck the rose from its bush. A sharp, hidden thorn bit into his palm. "Ah!" Yumichika jerked his hand back in surprise and looked at the new bleeding wound.

"Oh dear. Roses do have thorns. Here let me see it." Hikawa took his hand in hers and examined it. "You seem to have gotten yourself pretty good. Wait here. I'll go and get the first aid kit."

"I'm terribly sorry for this." Yumichika said. "How careless of me."

Hikawa smiled. "It's quite alright. It couldn't be helped. I will return shortly." She turned and headed for the door.

Yumichika watches her as she disappeared within the house. Once she was one he looked back at his injured hand. The cut seemed to go deeper than he originally thought. He chided himself for his carelessness. "How unbeautiful of me to be caught in such a situation."

"Your situation is about to worsen, shinigami."

Yumichika spun around to face the source of the new, sinister voice behind him. He never felt the man approach and was startled to see him standing there. The Arrancar's reitsu flared violently, the force weighed heavily upon Yumichika's body. He struggled to stay standing.

"Who are you?" Yumichika managed to ask.

The Arrancar smirked. "All in due time, 11th squad fifth seat Ayasegawa. But for now you must come with me."

Yumichika shook his head. "I don't know how you know me but I must decline."

"It wasn't an invitation." The Arrancar took one sonido step towards the shinigami.
Yumichika's eyes widen and he reached for his Zanpakutou grasping only air. "Shimatta!" He yelled in surprise.

The Arrancar laughed and another step brought him face to face with the shinigami. Before Yumichika could react the Arrancar's long fingers wrapped around his throat and slammed him hard into the house's brick wall.

"Ack!" Yumichika exclaimed grimacing. He grasped the Arrancar's wrist with both hands and tried to free himself. He was quickly running out of air, struggling against the ache in the back of his head propelling him towards unconsciousness.

"Yumichika!" Hikawa yelled, running outside.

"No…Hikawa…stay away…chk!"

The Arrancar tightened his hold around the shinigami's throat. Yumichika strained for breath, glaring at his attacker. "Goodnight, shinigami." The Arrancar pulled Yumichika from the wall then slammed his head back into it again. Yumichika's hands dropped to his sides and his head lolled sideways.

Hikawa screamed. "Yumichika! Let him go!" She ran toward the two men.

"Careful, Quincy girl, you wouldn't want to harm him now would you?" The Arrancar flung Yumichika's limp body over his shoulder and turned. "You've grown since I last saw you, Takisaki Hikawa."

Hikawa stopped dead in her tracks, unable to move further. He breath caught in her throat and she stared in horror at the Arrancar. "You…" She breathed.

"Until we meet again." The Arrancar disappeared taking Yumichika with him.

Hikawa stood unable to move. Unable to fully comprehend what she had just seen. Who she had just seen. "No…it can't be." She whispered. She never thought she'd see that man again in her life. And yet there he had been…and he'd taken Yumichika. She began shaking and dropped to the ground as the realization struck her. She had failed to save him because she hesitated. Hikawa noticed something laying on the ground and picked it up. A small red feather lay in her open palm. "Yumichika…" She said to herself closing her fingers around it as another presence entered her garden.

"Hikawa are you alright? Where's the shinigami?" Ishida looked around at the damaged garden.

"He's gone." Hikawa answered quietly.

"What? He left you here all alone? What if something happened to you? I'll kill him when I find him!" Ishida clenched his fist in anger.

Hikawa jumped up still clutching the feather in her hand. "He didn't leave, Ishida!" She yelled. "Yumichika was taken! I've got to help him!" Hikawa turned and ran inside the house.

"Hikawa, wait! Where are you going?" Ishida yelled chasing after her.

"Urahara's." Hikawa stopped and picked up Yumichika's Zanpakutou, lashing it to her waist. "He'll be able to help us." She disappeared out the front door, moving at a pace no human could perceive.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment