Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Chapter 7: Girlfriends

Jenny is a seventeen year old who thinks she's a girl with boring aspects and personality. She passes her time by observing her two best friends Russ and Maya who she feels are interesting and special individuals. Not believing she really matters in this

Chapter 8 - Chapter 7: Girlfriends

Chapter 8 - Chapter 7: Girlfriends






Chapter 7: Girlfriends.






To do something is easy. You can grab a pencil and draw, a pen and write, a book and read, a vase and throw, a car and drive, a cake and eat, a boy and kiss, and you can think of an experiment and carry it out. But the chances that what will come out is the wanted result, that’s difficult. Especially when one is still inexperienced with things it wants to do or does. My experiment turned out to be everything except flawless. Hinting that all the girls at school were pulling a dirty face to me and that even Maya had been put into a mood worse than ever before, you might feel coming what’s happened.





Yesterday I didn’t really take into account that a time and place can make a huge difference about the outcome of the experiment. Not that there should have been a more romantic (or not at all) atmosphere, but we were near to the shopping centre in our own town. So several people of our school saw our ‘couples’-walk and told everybody else. And now Several People are looking at me like they want to throw up and Everybody Else is staring me hard trying to imagine the scene. The few that managed to create a somewhat believable picture can be easily pointed out from those Everybody Else, because after a long hard stare they start retching, one or two even ran towards the toilets.





“I demand an explanation!” Maya shouted. “You and that perverted dirty womanizer! He’s only playing with you!”





For the first time since my three years in high school, I was in the centre of attention.





Some lipsticks squeeled a: “Yeah, you dog, don’t think you’re great or something! He probably just pitied your sorry @$$, because no way in the world something like you can ever get a boyfriend!”





The boys though seemed quite excited. I guess they wanted me to declare that Russ and me were officially dating so that they could comfort their broken hearted ex-girlfriends and get them back again.





Normally I would just say nothing and walk away. Well not ‘normally’, because normally something like this never happened to me. But it would fit my character to just shut up and walk away. Besides what did they know. I knew the truth and that was enough. But saying that Russ was indeed my boyfriend, would be kind of funny. I’d love to see the look on those stuck up bimbo faces.





I grabbed hold of Maya’s hand, calmly replied: “We’re dating,” and then left the murderscene dragging Maya with me, for everybody stood dead still including a killing silence.





“You’re insane! He’s an asshole! Don’t you remember what he did to me?!” Maya was slapping her free hand on mine, probably not for me to let go but to punish me,





“We’re not dating,” I finally confessed, “I just said it to see the look on their faces.” In the distance we could hear the guys cheering and the girls crying loudly. Maya stopped slapping my hand.





“…” Maya thought, “They did look funny.” She giggled. “So you guys are really not dating?”





“No.”





“Then why… yesterday… did you two.. ”





“Secret.”





Maya was visibly unsatisfied with that answer: “Why can’t you tell me! I thought we were friends!”





“Do you still feel like being in school?”





“Don’t change the subject!”





And thus I dragged Maya out of the school and into the park. She kept on asking about the how and why’s, but once arrived at the pond in the park, she stopped asking, pulled a grumpy face and threw her bread (that was meant for lunch) at the ducks. “Give me yours too!” She ordered.





I obeyed.





“Stupid Jenny.” She then sat down beside me and laid her head against my shoulder, sobbed a little but then made no other noise than the sound of her breath, her chest softly going up and down therefore tapping my arm.





“I heard somewhere that if you sneeze with your eyes open, your eyes will pop out,” she said suddenly, after a minute or ten, “that’s why people are unable to keep their eyes open when they sneeze, no matter how hard they try.” She released a sigh, that felt hot against my chin, since I had turned my face a little towards her when she had started speaking.





“I wish my eyes popped out,” she continued, “then I wouldn’t have to see this stupid world anymore. I’d listen to music all day long, lying in my bed, unable to go anywhere because I was blind.”





Blind people still go to school though, special education, and they can go anywhere they want when accompanied by a dog or another person. I guess that way she’d never be alone and that might be good for her. Perhaps she should turn blind.





“Go catch that duck and rip out a feather,” she whispered, “you owe it to me.”





“There are some on the ground.”





“Dogs peed on them.”





“…Alright.” She lifted her head of my shoulder and picked out a duck with her eyes, I only needed to follow where the eyes were fixed on. She chose the fully white duck with a black beck. I took off my shoes and slowly entered the water, holding a few strands of grass as bait, I inched closer to the ducks. Unfortunately, they swam away every time I came within the range of two meters.





Change of tactics.





I went around the ducks this time until I was behind them (the water wasn’t very deep, even in the centre you could still stand), then I chased them on chore. I ran out of the water, chased the duck and made a dive for it. It took me three hard falls on the grass to finally grab that duck. It flapped it’s wings like a Wildman, shaking off dozens of feathers though it was trying to shake me off. Finally, it bit my nose and I let go, due to the pain. The entire time Maya had been laughing, hard.





“Damn it,” I complained while rubbing my victim limb. “Well, take your pick.” I pointed at the fallen feathers, sitting on my butt, legs wide spread. She walked over and kneeled down beside me, observing and judging each feather carefully.





Then she pointed at a long, uncrooked, undamaged, pure and bright white feather. Seeing she wasn’t about to pick it up, I took the honours.





“Okay, now get me to sneeze.”





“What?”





“Why else would I need a feather. Get me to sneeze, I’ll try keeping my eyes open.”





“You could just poke out your eyes, it’s easier.”





“WHERE’S THE BEAUTY IN THAT!”





I guess blindness by sneezing indeed sounded more special than blindness by eyepoking. Softly caressing the below side of her nose and her upperlip, she tried the open eyes sneezing a total of eleven times before she gave up. I was having quite fun with the tickling so for all I cared we could be doing this all day long, but it wasn’t meant to be that way.





“What day is it?” I asked.





“Friday, why?”





“Oh, that’s us-time, so it’s alright.”





“Ha, this is way more fun than with those days you have to spend with Russ right? Walking stupidly glued to each other.”





“Yeah, that was real annoying.”





Maya got a weird smile on her face and tackled me. Not allowing me to get up, she once again positioned herself like she had done during that sleepover. Also, just like that day , she started to occasionally kiss my neck and shoulder again, sometimes a peck landed on my cheek. While she was busy doing all that, I looked up and named the shapes of the clouds passing by.





Tree, crocodile, icecream…





Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

red-dragon on July 30, 2006, 9:59:52 PM

red-dragon on
red-dragonJenny's populair! Are Russ and Maya in love with her? It seems so till now.

StephAlanPoe on July 18, 2006, 5:25:16 AM

StephAlanPoe on
StephAlanPoeICE-CREAM!!! YAAAAAAAAAAY!