Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Family

A selection of short stories based on different themes. Romance, Comedy, Teen, Drama...all rolled into one nice little package. Surely, you'll find something you like in this series of tales.

Chapter 2 - Family

Chapter 2 - Family
The soft hush of water flowing down from the fountain would have normally calmed her nerves. But not tonight. Her mind was on other things. Her legs stretched out, covering more distance as her feet patted against the dirt path. Her body moved quickly in a speed walking motion, her gaze straight ahead. The park was merely a means to get where she was going tonight. There was no time for admiring the fountain or various statues.

She crossed the park and then the empty street, continuing her journey along a cement sidewalk. She passed a line of houses, darkened, with the only light being the occasional street lamp or post light. She stopped at a dark colored house on the corner, her feet pointing to the light stone driveway. Taking in a deep breath, she walked slowly up to the door and reached over, hitting the doorbell.

Groaning, Jamie threw the steel blue comforter off his body, exposing his flesh to the cold air. He was having such a nice dream involving nachos when suddenly, his nacho cheese let out an annoying ringing sound. Realizing it wasn't the cheese causing the sound, Jamie was woken abruptly from his dream. Leaning over, he checked his clock. "Who is still up at 2 AM?" He yawned. Still, he had to get up and see who it was, possibly giving them a good lecture.

He walked downstairs and into the formal living room, where the front door was located. His eyes were too tired to completely focus on the image of a girl who stood just passed the wooden-rimmed glass door. Still, the vague appearance reminded him of a name. "I...rene?" He yawned, as he opened the door. A soft sniff crawled out of the girl.
"Jamie...I...I..." was all she could manage. She could have thought about what she was going to say or how she was going to say it on the walk over but then, all she could think of was seeing him. Jamie yawned once more, rubbing his eyes clean of sand. His vision focused and were not prepared for the depressing sight before him.

His beautiful, beloved girlfriend was a wreck. Her ebony hair was messily tied up in a clip, while her clothes were obviously lazily put on as Jamie noticed Irene had wore them the earlier day. Her usual cheerful smile was replaced with a cut lip, pouting into a frown with slight bruising rising from her top lip into her cheeks. Her eyes were swollen red, obvious signs of tears, as melted mascara bled into her skin. Still, even with these scars of pain, she looked at him with nothing but devotion as she spoke again. "Jamie...can I come in?"

Jamie grabbed her hands and led her inside, "Oh my god...Irene? What happened to you?" She was silent until they reached the olive-coated living room. Jamie helped Irene sit down on a love seat, gently hugging her as she took in a deep breath before sobbing. "Shhh...it's okay...what happened?" Jamie asked again as he rubbed her back, letting her rest her head into his bare chest. Irene cried, finally able to release the pent up energy she had carried. Still, she couldn't find the words nor the courage to speak.
"I...I...." Was all she could repeat, hopelessly trying to confide in Jamie. He didn't push her, though. Whatever happened, it had left her shaken.
"Why don't you go get cleaned up?" Jamie suggested as Irene lifted herself from him. She nodded, sniffing up a line of snot that was slowly trying to crawl out.
"Will you come with me?" She asked innocently, much like a toddler. The brunette boy smiled and nodded, slowly rising with her and holding her against him as they moved in unison to the nearby half-bath.

Jamie turned the painted gold knob, opening up the door. Then he reached to the left and flicked on the light switch, the formerly dark room lighting up. It was small, which incited Irene's claustrophobia, but so inviting with its frog theme. Irene walked in and sat down on the yellow frog embroidered toilet seat cover, as Jamie opened up the medicine cabinet. "Let's see...we got some neosporin. Ooh and here is some Avon stuff my mom uses to get rid of blemishes without making them burn...do you want some foundation? Probably. And here's a wash rag and a towel to dry your face on." Jamie placed the two folded cloths on the ceramic sink fixture. "Do you want me to stay in here or wait outside the door?" Normally, she would have begged him to stay but instead had another request.
"Could...could you make me something to drink? Maybe some cocoa?" She asked softly, looking up at him with hopeful eyes. Jamie looked at her for a second before a warm, gentle expression befell him.
"Sure." Jamie walked slowly out of the room, leaving the door open behind him. Hearing his footsteps grow distant, Irene rose and began to wash her face. She lightly laced her index finger with neosporin and applied it to her bruised cheeks. She had trouble, as she wasn't really looking in the mirror to apply the gel evenly across her cheeks but how could she? Her appearance was too shocking, too painful to look at.

"Jamie? Is that you?" Irene hurried and wetted the wash cloth, stuffing her face into it in a flawed attempt to hide herself. "Wha...Irene? What are you doing here?" A feminine voice of the softer variety entered the room. Irene sighed and slowly brought the cloth off her face, which then inspired a gasp. Her eyes locked on the woman who was both in and out of the bathroom. She was slightly taller than Irene, with her long brown hair braided and tossed over her shoulder. Her small frame was dressed lightly in a pink night gown, remnants of her previous slumber.
"Hello...Miss Varley," Irene greeted quietly. Immediately, the woman threw her arms around Irene and held her close.
"Oh my god! What happened to you?" She asked, distressed. Irene tried to calm her but the embraced overwhelmed her. Was this how a mother was supposed to be? It was nice, calming. Irene let herself sink into the hug, forgetting for a moment where she was. Soon, Jamie returned and was surprised to see his mother hugging his girlfriend.
"Mom?" He asked curiously, "I thought you were asleep." The maternal figure turned her head to her son, still hugging the girl.
"I was but I guess the light from the bathroom woke me up. What's Irene doing here and why does she look like she's been beat?" Jamie shrugged and suggested that they sit down in the living room and drink some cocoa, hoping it would calm all their nerves so they could learn and reveal the truth.

Once settled, Irene began to tell her story. "Well...you know my dad can be a bit difficult. He always acts like he's mad, always." She repeated, looking empty inside as she stared into the swirling liquid that danced inside her mug. She closed her eyes for a moment. The scowling face of her father reached her, causing her to open her eyes once more. "He's been alot more angry lately...ever since I told him I didn't want to go to med school." Jamie nodded. He knew that Mr. Casales, a lawyer for medical malpractice firm, had been pushing Irene to go to medical school and become a doctor. Irene had often confided in Jamie that she didn't want to be a doctor. She instead wanted to run her own bakery, having a deep love for the culinary arts. Jamie felt guilty, for it was he who pushed her to tell her father her dreams.

Irene continued with her story, "Well...tonight, he and Mom were talking about sending me to med school AGAIN when I finally told them I purposely flunk the entrance exams. Dad...got mad. Really mad. He..." She dragged off. She looked to the floor. Jamie looked at his mother who then looked at Irene, speaking up.
"It's okay, dear. You don't have to continue." Irene looked up at Jamie's mother.
"Thank you..." She looked down again, though. "I have to go back, though...they won't be happy when they find out I ran away..." It was at this moment that Miss Varley stood up.
"No. I can't let you go back. Tonight, you can stay here. I'll dig out some pjs for you and you can sleep in Jamie's bed. Jamie, you okay with the couch?" Jamie nodded, standing up as well. "Alright. Then tomorrow, I will talk to your parents. I can't let you go back to those people. If need be, I will ask to take their parenting rights away." Irene's mouth opened in shock. The way Miss Varley spoke was much more confident and strong than her usual sweet, motherly way. Irene nodded in acceptance, mouthing her gratitude.

She slipped comfortably into one of the PJs that had been given to her, handing over her dirty clothes to be washed. Miss Varley wished her and Jamie a good night before leaving them, heading off to bed. Irene sat down on Jamie's bed, taking in a deep breath. Jamie sat down on the floor, staring up at her. "Mom...really likes you, you know. She just wants what is best for you but if you'd rather she not interfere..." Irene shook her head, a genuine smile crossing her lips.
"No...I...don't want to go back to those people. I want to stay here. I know Dad is a great lawyer but I think we have a good chance...even if it will be scary..." Jamie rose and sat down beside her on the bed, resting his hand on her leg gently. He nuzzled into her neck, causing her to laugh softly.
"It'll all be okay, I promise. I'll protect you from now on, okay?" He mumbled into her neck. She laughed, nodding. Once he pulled away, he met with her lips. Though still slightly cut, they were as inviting as ever. It was a short kiss but one that was desperately needed. Jamie broke it first, leaving Irene begging for more. Still, he cited it was time for her to get some sleep. She agreed and crawled under his covers and bid him goodnight as he walked out of the room, heading to his makeshift bed downstairs.

The moon rose and descended swiftly, daylight coming quickly. Irene woke early, knowing she would have to confront her family today. Jamie was still asleep when she walked downstairs but a light breakfast, courtesy of Miss Varley, was waiting. She sat and together, the two women discuss their plan. If the Casales wouldn't bend to their will, they would take it to the courts. When Jamie awoke, the girls were already dressed and just about to leave. Irene stood nervous beside his mother, causing Jamie to plant a deep good luck kiss on her which seemed to cheer her up a bit. Still, in the car ride over, she couldn't help but think that she should just beg her parents for forgiveness and move on. She closed her eyes and sat in the car once they reached the house. Her parents were both outside, standing beside her father's black Gallardo. "You ready?" Irene looked over at Miss Varley. "I know you're nervous but trust me...you will feel so much better once this is all over." Irene didn't speak, only sighed, as she popped open the door. The two women slowly walked up the driveway, Miss Varley being the first to incite conversation.

"Eliseo... Iliana." The two talkers turned to face the newcomers. Irene saw her father's eyes glare at her, while her mother portrayed her usual diva pose.
"Ah...Carin. How very nice to see you. And you brought home our lovely wayward daughter," Iliana spoke coolly.
"Yes well..I actually came her to ask that you sign her over to me."
"Excuse me?" Eliseo spoke up in his hoarse, rough voice. Irene shivered, his voice shaking her very core. Carin held her head high, stern in her words.
"You heard me. I want you to let me adopt Irene. She deserves a loving home, not one where she gets beat." Eliseo looked at his daughter harshly, his dark blue eyes boiling. Iliana shook her head, a haughty laugh escaping her throat.
"Oh my...that's hilarious. What makes you think we'd hand over our own daughter?"
"She's right. Irene is ours and there is no proof that could convince a judge that we are bad parents," Eliseo spoke. Carin's mouth curled slightly, a plan forming in her mind.
"We'll just have to see...I'll be seeing you in court then. Come on, Irene." Carin and Irene turned to leave but the young girl's yelp halted them. Carin turned and saw Eliseo had grabbed his daughter's wrist tightly, his large fingers almost crushing her bones. "Let her go!" Carin shouted as she yanked Irene free. She quickly dragged the girl back to the car, trying to escape the roars of angered pride Eliseo spewed. Irene zoned out midway, Would she ever be able to escape this, completely?

---

The soft hush of water flowing down from the fountain would have normally calmed her nerves. But not today. There was no need. Her heart was calm, resting happily inside her chest. Her lightly glossed lips curled upward, laughter lines appearing slightly. Her gentle blue eyes followed the passing people, children playing and their parents gossiping. She turned her gaze to the woman beside her. The elderly woman, her age obvious, also appeared at peace. Her faded hair fell over her shoulder, much like the young lady beside her. She, too, smiled. She then opened her lips, laughing softly. "Ooh...today is so beautiful, eh, Irene?"
"Yes, Miss Varley...it's so peaceful." She leaned over, her head turning to the side. "I just wish I knew when Jamie would get here."
"Now now, dear...he'll be here soon." Irene sat back, her head turning to the voice. Her hands waited patiently in her lap.

Moments later, her body ached and responded to a distant sound of feet running. "Sorry!" Jamie's voice sung as his body jogged up to the women. He placed a hand on the black frame that danced around the bench on which the women sat, catching his breath. "Had to help close up the deli..."
"Does that mean your hands smell like bologna?" Irene laughed gently. Jamie grinned and shook his head.
"Naw..."
"Well...now that we are all here, wasn't there something you wanted to give Irene, Jamie?" Carin asked softly. Her son hesitated, finally remembering his purpose. He dug his hand into his denim pocket, licking his lips as his words readied to pour out.
"Yeah...um...Irene? I've been thinking lately...we've been together for a really long time, right?" Irene nodded, her eyes and attention solely on Jamie. "Yeah so...well...I was wondering..." His words trailed, as he slowly got down on his knees and took Irene's hands in his own. Her heartbeat quickened, knowing exactly what this position meant. She looked at Carin, as if to clarify. The elderly woman gave a silent answer, causing Irene to look back at Jamie. He pulled out a crimson box, covered in light fuzz. "So...uh...will you marry me?" He asked nonchalantly, opening up the box to expose a golden ring with adamant stones colored light blue. Irene gasped as she fell into Jamie, her arms wrapping around him. Through her sobs came a slur of "Yes" and "Of Course".
Jamie pushed her back gently, allowed her to breath air not secluded in his neck. He let go of her hand briefly, picking the ring out of the box and then sliding it onto her left ring finger. He rose, helping her up as he then initiated a kiss. Carin looked on approvingly.

In the back of her mind, Irene realized she now knew what it meant to have a family. And she also knew that she had the best family in the world.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment