Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Deathstar Past

Famous events through the eye's of Malait'kla It'kla.

Chapter 5 - Deathstar Past

Chapter 5 - Deathstar Past
(Great Massassi Temple- Pre Episode IV and leading up into...)

Her fighter squadron had taken heavy losses in the past two months. It wasn't her leadership skills but the Rebel Alliance had been tasking her with increasingly difficult and almost suicidal missions. Gibs was still alive and flying and so was Jenneth Corsair, who was now Mala's wingmate. But after the last fight. Mala's X-wing was in disrepair and the Rebel Alliance was running short on ships. As she talked to Dodonna in the hangar he told her.
"Mala, I don't have the ships to keep this up. The Death Star attack is coming up and I've just received word that the plans are enroute." Dodonna informed her with a weary look upon his face.
"General, I have four pilots looking for ships," Mala replied as quickly as she could.
"I can spare two Y-wings and iterate you into Gold Squadron," Dodonna replied.
"You mean flying deuce?"
"You got it, Commander. I now dub you as Gold Nine." Dodonna told her as an YT-1300 began its landing sequence in the hangar. Large crews of rebels were filing over to help unload the contents.
"If you'll excuse me, I think these are the plans." Dodonna said turning his graying blonde hair toward the wind kicked up by the hovercoils on the landing jets of the large Corellian freighter.
Mala turned to Corsair and sighed. "You're with me then, Jenneth. Tell Gibs to grab up that other rookie. We'll figure something out."
"If we make it," Jenneth replied.

*********

Dodonna stood before a large electronic wall display. Leia and several other senators were to one side of the giant readout. The low-ceilinged room is filled with starpilots, navigators, and a sprinkling of R2-type robots. Everyone is listening intently to what Dodonna is saying. A pair of smugglers, one human and one wookie, were near the back listening as well; Mala didnt recognize them. She shrugged figuring those where probably the pilots of that freighter Mala had watched land earlier
General Dodonna continued his briefing, "The battle station is heavily shielded and carries firepower greater than half the star fleet. Its defenses are designed around a direct large-scale assault. A small one-man fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defense."
Gold Leader, a rough looking man in his early thirties, stood and addressed Dodonna.
Gold leader asks with doubt in his voice, "Pardon me for asking, sir, but what good are snubfighters going to be against that?"
General Dodonna's reply was direct and to the point, "Well, the Empire doesn't consider a small one-man fighter to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Princess Leia has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station."
General Dodonna waited until the beeping and whistling died down as well as the murmurs before continuing, "The approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station."
A murmur of disbelief runs through the room.
Again Dodonna clarifies, "Only a precise hit will set up a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes."
Wedge Antilles, a young hotshot of about sixteen is sitting next to another young pilot of about eighteen. This one had rode in with the plans and as Mala looked at him. She could see an aura around him. One of destiny. In his eyes she watched a pair of torpedoes enter the hole and the explosion after. She watched a lightsaber flare in his hand. Yoda standing beside him. And ultimately him standing off against the man she feared the most, Darth Vader. The murderer of all her friends and the Jedi order altogether.
She missed wedge's comment but came back to reality to the young blonde speaking, "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-sixteen back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."
General Dodonna gave the order, "Man your ships! And may the Force be with you!"
Mala stood up and leaned over to Jenneth. "That's the ticket right there. Only he can blow that thing."
Corsair looked at Mala funny, "How do you know?"
"Good guess..."
Mala remained silent as Jenneth and she made their way to their new Gold Y-wing. It was slower than a hutt was ugly but it had a rear mounted ion cannon that could give TIE fighters a good shock if they got in the way. Mala knew the shields were stronger than an X-wing's but she was gonna miss the speed. At least Squealer was tucked in the back comfortably.
Over the loudspeaker she could hear plainly, "All flight troopers, man your stations. All flight troops, man your stations."
Jenneth and Mala climbed into the cockpit and pulled their helmets on. Mala's was modified to fit her braintails and she was one of few twi'lek's in the Rebel Alliance. All final preparations are made for the approaching battle. The hangar is buzzing with the last minute activity as the pilots and crewmen alike make their final adjustments. The hum of activity is occasionally trespassed by the distorted voice of the loudspeaker issuing commands. Coupling hoses are disconnected from the ships as they are fueled. Cockpit
shields roll smoothly into place over each pilot. A signalman, holding red guiding lights, directs the ship as Mala carefully picks the Y-wing up and starts to throttle the engines following the rest of her squadron out.
As she gets to the exit, she feels a familiar presence. One she'd not felt since she danced at Jabba's palace. In fact, the man that had bought her freedom the first time. She shook her head to clear her thoughts and wondered where in the hell she got that feeling from as she concentrated on guiding the slow snubfighter into space.
As they made their way from the planet's surface and around the gas giant it wasn't long before someone spoke up and started to give commands.
"All wings report in."
"Red Ten standing by."
"Red Seven standing by."
"Red Three standing by." That was Biggs, distorted, Mala recognized her old squadmember.
"Red Six standing by." And Porkins, another ex-Blue Squadron member.
"Red Nine standing by."
"Red Two standing by." Wedge Antilles of course.
"Red Eleven standing by."
"Red Five standing by." That voice sent chills up Mala's spine.
Mala double checked her comms and keyed up to her own squadron, "Gold Nine, Standing by."
On her fleet channel, "Lock S-foils in attack position."
The command wasn't meant for the Y-wings. As the Death Star began to appear the group of X-wing fighters moved in formation toward it, unfolding the wings and locking them in the "X"position that gave them their name.
"We're passing through their magnetic field." That was Red Leader, "Hold tight!"
Mala adjusted her controls and began to concentrate on the approaching Death Star. The ship around her begins to be buffeted slightly by static from the magnetic field.
Over her headset again Red Leader ordered, "Switch your deflectors on. Double front!"
The fighters, now X-shaped darts, move in formation. The Death Star now appears to be a small moon growing rapidly in size as the Rebel fighters approach. Complex patterns on the metallic surface begin to become visible. A large dish antenna is built into the surface on one side.
Wedge's voice broke Mala's concentration, "Look at the size of that thing!"
Red leader's reply "Cut the chatter, Red Two." There was a pause and then, "Accelerate to attack speed. This is it, boys!"
As the fighters move closer to the Death Star, the awesome size of the gargantuan Imperial fortress is revealed. Half of the deadly space station is in shadow and this area sparkles with thousands of small lights running in thin lines and occasionally grouped in large clusters; somewhat like a city at night as seen from a weather satellite.
"Red Leader, this is Gold Leader."
"I copy, Gold Leader."
"We're starting for the target shaft now."
"We're in position. I'm going to cut across the axis and try and draw their fire."
Two squads of Rebel fighters peel off. The X-wings dive towards the Death Star surface. A thousand lights glow across the dark grey expanse of the huge station. Laserbolts streak through the star-filled night. The Rebel X-wing fighters move in toward the Imperial base, as the Death Star aims its massive laser guns at the Rebel forces and fires
Mala holds her breath as the green turbolaser fire angles in at her ship and the others around her.
Wedge's voice in her ear, "Heavy fire, boss! Twenty-degrees."
Red leader was back with the response, "I see it. Stay low."
"This is Red Five; I'm going in!" Starshine kid, Mala holds her breath again.
One X-wing peels toward the Death Star. Laserbolts streak from its weapons, creating a huge fireball explosion on the dim surface.
Biggs voice again, "Luke, pull up!"
The X-wing emerged accompanied by Biggs concerned voice, "Are you all right?"
Luke replies, "I got a little cooked, but I'm okay."
His name is Luke. Well that's a start. Mala inverted her Y-wing and pulled back on the controls. Her wingmate was whooping and hollering as her Ion cannon lit up in Mala's ear against the surface of the Death Star. Mala maintained her wits and her wingman; Gibson followed her all the way in.
Mala breaks off from the main group now, helping Red Squadron with the Laser towers. Her own squadron was pretty much providing cover for Gold Leader on his attack run. She had a bad feeling about that but kept her voice silent.
Red Leader again, "Luke, let me know when you're going in."
"I'm on my way in now..." that was Luke again.
"Watch yourself! There's a lot of fire coming from the right side of that deflection tower." Again, Red Leader.
"I'm on it."
One of the control officers from the Rebel base keyed up, "Squad leaders, we've picked up a new group of signals. Enemy fighters coming your way."
Mala switched her channel to Squadron. "Three Flight, on me."
Gold Leader met her order, "Can you handle them Gold Nine?"
Mala shot back quickly, "Probably not, but I can slow them down."
"The X-wings will be there as well," Gold Leader shot back to her. "Good luck."
Mala switched back over to the fleet channel and evened out her shields. Jenneth was screaming for some real action and Mala was kinda glad, she'd never had to fly with her before. Of course, this was probably the worst time to learn that though.
"Biggs! You've picked one up...watch it!" That was Red Leader.
"I can't see it! Where is he?!" Biggs had to be freaking out. He'd been tailed before but this was hectic. Mala shunted her shields as she, herself, had picked up a tail. She jinked and juked but the bulky Y-wing didn't maneuver like an X-wing so it left her taking a strafe from the TIE fighter. Until Jenneth bashed it with the Ion cannon.
The TIE continued a straight line as Mala began a long loop around. It careened into the Death Star's surface and exploded. Mala picked one up in her sights and squeezed her trigger letting twin red bolts scream out to it. She impacted the wing with the first shot and the other three missed wide. The TIE grew lazier but still flew.
"He's on me tight! I can't shake him! I can't shake him!" boomed in her headset as Biggs was frantically trying to evade the Tie he'd picked up.
"Hang on, Biggs. I'm coming." Looks like Luke was there.
After a few seconds of Mala dueling with her damaged TIE fighter she witnessed an explosion as she created another. "Got him!" Luke confirmed in her ear.
Mala switched back over to Squadron channel.
Gold Leader was giving a new set of orders. "Gold Two, Gold Five, on my wing."
She switched back over to Fleet frequency. "Red Leader, this is Gold Leader. I'm beginning my attack run."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mala leveled out her fire and opened up a payload on the surface of the Death Star. A tower began to glow then burst under her laser fire as she looped around toward her Y-wings, Gibson close on her tail. His wingmate was busy shocking TIEs that came in behind him. Jenneth was helping him.
"I copy Gold Leader. Move into position." That was Red Leader's reply.
Now was the drama part. Anxiety filled her as she listened to comm chatter intently.
"The exhaust port is... Slight hesitation from her squad leader, "Marked and locked in."
"Switch power to front deflector screens."
After a while Gold leader asked, "How many guns do you think, Gold Five?"
"I'd say about twenty guns. Some on the surface, some on the towers." came Five's response. She didn't know him.
"Switching to targeting computer," Gold Leader again.
"Computer locked. Getting a signal." That was Gold Two. She didn't know him well either.
"The guns! They've stopped!" Gold Two again.
"Stabilize your rear deflectors. Watch for enemy fighters." That was Five.
"They're coming in!" Gold leader exclaimed into the mike. "Three marks at Two Ten."
Mala glanced for visual. She could barely make out three TIEs dropping into the trench. She was out of range to be any help as she was now forming up with the rest of her squadron. Gibson still was hot on her tail complaining about his right engine in her Squadron Channel. Suddenly an explosion lit the trench. That was Gold Two.
"We're too close!" Gold Leader shouted.
"Stay on target." That was Gold Five in a monotone voice.
"I can't maneuver!"
"Stay on target."
"Loosen up!"
"Stay on target."
Another explosion, this one coupled with a scream. Mala knew that Gold leader was dead.
"Gold Five to Red Leader, lost Tiree. Lost Dutch."
"I copy, Gold Five."
"They came from behind..." Mala could see his Y-wing now and a different looking TIE fighter firing from behind. His right engine peeled off and his craft dove into the Death Star with a bright explosion.
WHAT!! I'm in charge of Gold Squadron now! I didn't want this!" Mala thought. She kept her emotions hidden as she looped around waiting for Red Leader to give an order. She was counting her pilots. Her and Gibs. Two more. That was it!
"Red Group, this is Red Leader. Rendezvous at mark six point one."
"This is Red Two. Flying toward you."
"Red Three, standing by."
General Dodonna's voice rang in Mala's ear, "Red Leader, this is Base One. Keep half your group out of range for the next run."
Red Leader replied, "Copy, Base One. Luke, take Red Two and Three. Hold up here and wait for my signal...to start your run."
"This is it!" Red Leader said as Mala watched his X-wing start to head for the trench. From her perspective she watched four more TIEs coming in. She didn't wanna give them a chance so she cut toward them. Her three fighters stuck with her.
"We should be able to see it by now." Red Ten?
Mala was already engaged with her four. An explosion rang behind her. Gold Three?
"Keep your eyes open for those fighters!" Red Leader... she thought.
"There's too much interference!" Red Ten?
Mala dove again and strafed the surface before looping up to see another explosion. She locked in on a TIE and fired watching it expand to join the Y-wing that it had taken with it. Gold Twelve?
"Red Five, can you see them from where you are?" Red Ten?
"No sign of any...wait!" That was Luke.
"Coming in point three five." Luke informed his squad leader.
"I see them." Red Ten?
Mala inverted again and began a lazy roll. Three TIEs to two Y-wings. Jenneth scored a hit. Another shocked. That's Two on Two... well was...
Another explosion. This time it was Gibson. "NO!" Mala checked her comm. She was in squadron. She signed. Just her and Jenneth now. The last two of Blue Squadron and now the last two of Gold Squadron. She rolled over and lined up a shot. Her lasers only glanced the TIE but Jenneth struck home with the ion cannon. She was getting good.
"I'm in range."
"Target's coming up!"
"Just hold them off for a few seconds." Red Leader.
There was a scream and another friendly blip dropped off as Mala swung around for the last TIE fighter.
"You'd better let her loose." Red Ten. Who died? Red Twelve?
"Almost there." Red Leader's reply
"I can't hold them!" Ten was getting panicky.
Red Ten screamed into the mike and there was another explosion and another Rebel loss. Mala concentrated on her TIE, he was better than the rest. But Jenneth was much better. A well placed shock and then Mala's blast ended the TIE in a ball of fire. Mala dove through the explosion. But she found herself way too far from the trench now to help out Red Leader. He was naked. And she was alone.
"It's away!" Red Leader announced.
"It's a hit?" That was probably Red Nine.
"Negative. Just impacted on the surface." That was Red Leaders grim reply and probably his last words.
"Red Leader, we're right above you. Turn to point..." That was Luke. "...oh-five; we'll cover for you."
"Stay there..." Red Leader replied. "...I just lost my starboard engine."
Mala could only barely see the X-wing burning from her perspective.
"Get set to make your attack run." Red Leader told the Starshine kid before his fighter peeled off to the surface under intense laser fire from the weird looking TIE fighter. Red Leader exploded and Mala inverted her ship and headed back toward Red Nine. He was engaged with a TIE but she couldn't get there in time either. He exploded and Mala exhausted revenge by taking out the TIE with a quick pair of laser blasts.
Mala looped around and pushed her ship to all it had. She hated Y-wings because of the lack in speed and she could already see Luke's X-wing diving in the trench. "Biggs, Wedge, let's close it up. We're going in. We're going in full throttle."
"Right with you, boss." Definitely Wedge.
"Luke, at that speed will you be able to pull out in time?"
"It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home."
"We'll stay back far enough to cover you."
"My scope shows the tower, but I can't see the exhaust port! Are you sure the computer can hit it?" That was Wedge again.
"Watch yourself! Increase speed full throttle!" Luke was getting into this.
"What about the tower?" Wedge asked.
"You worry about those fighters! I'll worry about the tower!" Luke shot back at him over the comm.
"Artoo...that, that stabilizer's broken loose again! See if you can't lock it down!" Great! When did Starshine loose a stabilizer...?
Mala was in agony. Her fighter still wasn't fast enough. They were a klick out and if Starshine missed, she was the last one alive. It'd be on her... if there was time.
"I'm hit! I can't stay with you." Wedge... oh my god!
"Get clear, Wedge. You can't do any more good back there!"
"Sorry!" Mala watched an X-wing peel from the trench. Her targeting computer said he was about 800m and closing.
"Hurry, Luke, they're coming in much faster this time. I can't hold them!" Biggs. Another ex Blue Squadron... come on Biggs!
"Artoo, try and increase the power!" That was Luke.
"Hurry up, Luke!" Biggs again. He must be in trouble. 700 meters. COME ON!

"Wait! Wait!" There was an explosion.
Oh no! That was Biggs. Starshine is all alone... we need a miracle. Then she felt it. The force. Was that the old hermit again?
"His computer's off. Luke, you switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong?" Base command asked in her ear.
"Nothing. I'm all right."
Still need a miracle. I'm only 500 m out. I can't help Luke, shoot faster!
"I've lost Artoo!" Damn... The TIEs are on him. 300 m!
A YT-1300 dropped out of hyperspace on top of the trench. It read neutral and Mala was extremely confused but there was a lot of laser fire pouring from its belly turret.
"Yahoo!!!!" some male screamed in her ear accompanied by a wookie's roar. It was the smugglers from back at the briefing.
"You're all clear, kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!" I need his name! That's a miracle right there! 200m!
Mala pulled back on her stick and held her breath. Please go in! Please go in! Please go in!
She was able to form up with Red Two whose X-wing was limping about as fast as her Y-wing could fly normally. Luke's X-wing swooped in from behind with the Yt-1300 on his tail. The death star exploded raining space with large debris and one hell of a fire cloud.
"Great shot kid! That was one in a million!" Must be the smuggler.
It was a long journey back to Yavin, but at least Mala was alive to tell about it.
"Damn, Mal, you were right about Luke. He was the ticket to the death star." Jenneth muttered into Mala's ear from behind her.
"Lucky guess..." Mala replied.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Present day - open space near the Hapan Cluster - During Episode VI)

Mala closed the panel and cursed, drawing back her finger. Squealer beeped at her mockingly.
"I told you I could fix the power flux, Squeals. Now where are we?" Mala asked her purple and white R5 unit.
Squealer turned around and plugged into a nearby console. He beeped and whistled as she came over wiping off her hands and looked at the galactic map he'd brought up on the screen. "That's the Hapan Cluster, there" she said pointing. "If we set course through here, we can drop out in the Corellian system. Besides, I need to stop there anyway. I have no Intel on where the rest of the Rebel Alliance is."
Squealer let out a flurry of beeps and whistles. Mala looked down at the droid. "Yes, I know Corellia is predominantly imperial. It always has been."
Squealer made a few more beeps so Mala replied. "Well, first let me change the transponder codes on this ship. I know there isn't many like it, but at least with a changed IFF code we should be able to get in and out without too much of a problem."
Squealer let out a flurried moan, "Well, yes that Mara person is after me. But maybe I lost her back on Tat."
Mala turned around and opened up another panel and pulled out one of the several chips inside and made her way to the cockpit. Squealer followed close behind her and plugged into his terminal as she knelt under her console and pulled a similar chip, replacing it with the one in her hand.
"Alright, Squealer. Set course for Corellia and I'll take the Lucky Break to hyperspace." The droid chirped and soon the navicomputer was ready for the jump. She pushed the lever forward and the stars disappeared into long lines.

***************

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment