Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - A World Apart

Chapter 2 - A World Apart

Chapter 2 - A World Apart
Chapter 2

A World Apart

As the wind blew across the lands in it was caught a white feather. The wind carried it across green fields, dark forests and white mountains. In its path its saw many things and peoples. Houses and castles, villages and kingdoms. It saw the joy of peoples and the sadness. Its journey was of gentile flight never touching the ground or the tree tops.

At last it came to a glistening city on the water. It went over that city on the winds and saw its people. They were busy, hurrying about the streets despite the setting sun. It came upon a pass in the mountains narrow and steep. As the feather moved the walls fell back and the canyon opened up into a vast valley. There it danced with the winds over the green fields far and wide.

The Shadow of the mountain had already covered the fields and the ground was plane without shadow or glint. Not for miles around were there anyone but two in the field. A tall man with long golden hair watched as a girl knelt in the soft grass with the butterflies. The man walked to her with grace as if there were no troubles in the world. He knelt next to the girl and looked at her thin face. He ran his fingers down the right side of her face with care and love. "Oh my dear sister." He said sullenly.

"Brother?" the girl questioned looking up into his deep blue eyes. There was a gentile breeze and the girl saw something dashing about in the currents. The breeze subsided and all was calm and the white feather drifted from the skies to the girl's hands. "A feather." the girl said.

The man looked at the quill intently as if a memory of a dark past had suddenly risen in his mind. The girl spoke again cradling the feather in her hands. "I've seen feathers like this one before." The man looked at his sister. A feeling of dread and darkness echoed in his mind. "It is the first thing I remember besides you my broth-." She stopped as she felt the man's hands clasp around hers.

"Sister, let's go home." He said with a smile as they stood hand in hand.

As they left the field the feather was left behind, alone in the grass. The man glanced back as if to make sure it stayed where it was.

Night had come to Palace, the capital city of the kingdom of Asturia. The darkness was deep but the light of the orb of the Guardian Sea Dragon gave a dim blue light to the city. The light traveled across the harbor to the castle in the mountain cliffs. It poured into a hall through its tall windows being only obstructed by the many clothe wall hangings. Though the orb was not the only source of light, a crackling fire cast dark shadows of several figures onto the walls.

At a large desk sat King Aston. Next to him was his chief advisor, lord Miden and behind him were Aston's other advisors. Before them were Allen Schezar and his second, Gaddes. The king looked on Allen with a skeptic gaze as his advisors spoke among themselves snidely while once in a while giving Allen and Gaddes a quick look of disrespect and loathing. Finally after much frustration Allen interrupted the advisors banter gruffly. "My lord."

The echo of his voice ceased the advisors conversation. King Aston briefly gave Miden and amused look and than turned his attention to Allen. "Allen Schezar, you are worked up over nothing. Zaiboch is wounded and leaderless. They are of no concern to me."

Allen stood from his chare. "But my lord, there is irrefutable evidence that Zaiboch is-"

"What evidence, Allan Schezar? The reports of a few minor informants? Whether or not it is true, the treaty still stands." The king interrupted in an almost lighthearted tone.

Allen's gaze became hard and grave. "Since when does Zaiboch honor its treaties?" Silence filled the room. Allan, followed by Gaddes, stood and left the room without dismissal.

Allen, still with a stone stare, stormed down the long torch lit hall outside the conference room. Gaddes looked on his commander as he followed at a distance. Allen had changed over the years. He did not wear his Knight of Caeli uniform but instead a similar suit of black with an extra short-sword on his right hip.

Gaddes called out to his respected commander. "You can't keep doin’ things like this. King Aston is not only going to not allow the mission but he may begin questioning your loyalty!"

Allen stopped short and stood with his back to Gaddes. Gaddes kept at a distance as Allen's temper had shortened as well. "And if he does where then will your loyalties lie?" Allen asked coldly.

Gaddes scratched his head with a bent smile. "You're the boss." He stated.

Allen turned to his loyal subordinate. "There was no question." He said though his expression did not change.

"Gaddes is right!" A soft voice came from an approaching woman. Allen and Gaddes turned to the voice.

"Princess Malerna." Allen said with none of the magic that came with that name in the past.

"He is right in that your public disrespect for father is unbefitting." Malerna said as she faced Allen.

"Unbefitting of what?" Allen said harshly. Gaddes took a long step back and leaned on the wall to leave the two some space.

"Of a Knight of Caeli?" Allen continued.

Malerna's expression went from upset with someone she cared about to regretful. "You cannot refer to yourself in that manor anymore. Not since it was stripped from your title."
Though Malerna had become better at hiding her emotions this was the one person from whom she was as transparent as a pane of glass. Malerna wished to cry, but she did not let herself. Allen looked at her almost as he would have long ago. But after a very short moment he turned from her and walked away.

Once again Malerna felt abandoned and alone as she had so many times. Suddenly she was startled by Gaddes's voice as she had forgotten he was there.

"Ya can't blame him can ya princess? Not only did he suffer a grave dishonor by losing his title and his duds, but King Aston still won't listen to him." Gaddes defended Allen.

"My father can be stubborn but that is how it has always been. And sometimes I do worry about Allen's loyalties." Malerna said regretting the truth of it. Gaddes went to Malerna and gave her a sure look.

"I wouldn't worry about his loyalties. His first loyalty is to the people he loves." He gave her an odd look as he paused. "But he still loves Asturia. He always has. He just doesn't love it's ruler."

"I know." Malerna said. "But what I don't know is what Allen is so concerned about. Once again father has kept me in the dark." She looked at Gaddes intently.

He reared back a bit. "Oh no, not this time, Princess. I don't think I'm really the person to tell you that." He said knowing that she would force the issue anyway.

"Gaddes!" Malerna stated stubbornly. She balled up her fists and took a step toward him.

"Okay, okay! But not here." He said looking down the hall in either direction.

"Of course not." She said quietly.

"Look, Allan has called a meeting on the Crusade for tonight. You can talk to him then. I'm sure he'll let you in the loop. I think." Gaddes said. Malerna noticed that he was getting nervous in regard to their conversation.

"Very well." She said in a low tone. "I shall take my leave of you, soldier of Asturia." She finished in a voice a little louder than normal in case anyone was around. She curtsied and Gaddes half bowed his head before he dashed off.

Allen stood at the bow of his airship just ahead of the wheel. He gazed out the front window at the city lights below. He saw the image of his sister's thin face in the reflection. Her pale blue eyes, her now long light hair. He closed his eyes and in his mind he pictured her face and the thin light line down her right cheek. Allen tried to put it out of his mind as he leaned on his forearm on the window and looked to the city again. His focus went from the city to a reflection in the pane of glass. In the light of the doorway leading to the lower decks stood Riden.
"Heya, captain." He said as Allen turned and looked at him across the room. "Ah, sorry fora disterben you, but everyone is assembled. We're ready for ya anytime now." Riden kept his voice low as the room was completely silent when he came in.

"Very well." Allen said.

The two walked to the lower deck and went into one of the side rooms. The room was brightly lit as compared to the dark bridge Allen and Riden had come from. Not that he didn't trust Riden, Allen counted his men. Teo, Katz and Pyle were in a corner sitting around a crate drinking and playing cards. Riden walked over to the other corner and sat down with Oruto who was sharpening his daggers. Allen's eyes then came to Kio, as big as ever and Gaddes who were standing together facing away from Allen behind a long table that was in the middle of the room. They seemed to be blocking something from Allen's view.

Allen approached the table suspiciously and laid one hand on it starring straight at the two big men. "Gaddes?" He questioned.

Gaddes sighed as he and Kio turned and parted revealing the person they had been hiding.

"Princess!" Allen said in a low voice. He looked at Gaddes but he was looking another direction. "What are you doing here? The hour is late. It is not a time to be socializing."

Malerna gave Allen a cold stare. "But it is a fine time for secret meetings?" Allen said nothing. "I hear that you have been making plans. And I would like to hear about them." Malerna said glancing at Riden.

Allen turned his head and gave Riden a hard stare. Riden tensed up. "I- I didn't tell her, boss, she just sorta put it together."

Allen looked back to Malerna. "Put it together?"

Kio pulled a chair out from under the table and Malerna sat down. "It was not very difficult. You have been stockpiling weapons onboard the Crusade and it would be very difficult to miss the four guymelefs and melef carrier sitting on this pad behind us. So just what are you planning to do?"

Allen crossed his arms and turned away from the princess. "It is plain to see that you will not give this up." He turned halfway around and looked at her from the corner of his eye. "In which case you should hear it from the beginning."

Everyone packed around the table and sat down. Allen and Malerna sat in the center of each side. Gaddes Stood at the head of the table fumbling with some maps. He found the one he was looking for and set it in on the table. Then using a long dagger as a pointer he addressed the group. "Alright. Is everyone here? Does anyone need to go to the bathroom before we start?" The men laughed quietly but Allen and Malerna sat in stillness starring at one another. Gaddes continued. "Is everyone sober?" He looked at Pyle at the other end of the table as he hiccuped. "Close enough." Gaddes said.

"Several months ago the new Asturian spies in Zaiboch started reporting. We learned that though Emperor Dornkirk is dead the chaos of anarchy hasn't swept over the empire as we had expected after the war. Instead others have taken command over the people. More specifically, General Adelphis chiefly, one other remaining general of the four, who wasn't killed in the war, and equally importantly and perhaps even more of a threat, the sorcerers." Everyone in the room had already known this information but Malerna did not.

"Further reports said what we had been fearing since the end of the war. Zaiboch is starting to rebuild its forces. They are mass producing not only Alseides units but also Oreades units. Those are the big ones that if I remember correctly only a certain white dragon could defeat. That report came only two months ago. After which King Aston ordered most of the spies back for fear of discovery. Until this point we were being told the spies' reports. But then for some reason they decided to stop talking to us. Gee, I wonder why." Gaddes stopped briefly and looked at Malerna.

"Anyway, we managed to pull a few strings and got three of the remaining seven to talk to us through various channels. The next report said that they were starting to deploy small melef carriers bound for various locations across this continent. Afterwards King Aston ordered all informants to pull out for good. Unfortunately only five made it back. So we don't know if they know that we know what they are doing."

Everyone looked at one another trying to make sense out of the last part.

"After that we decided to look for the troops that were deployed but unfortunately the trail went cold and all we were able to hear was some talk of queer events that sounded like trouble. Then the really concerning stuff started happening. People were talking about melef battles with 'invisible devils'. After that there was no question. Zaiboch forces had reached our shores. We then got reports of melef battles to both the north and south of Asturia, in these locations." Gaddes pointed to spots on the map with the dagger. "Some battles were even as far as the Shtall Mountains." He stabbed the dagger into the table on the mountain range.

"But we cannot be sure that those far off battles were Zaiboch battles." Allen chimed in. "Basram has been picking fights with several of it's neighbors in that area."

"Am I the only one that noticed a pattern to the location of the battles?" Malerna asked.

"You're right." Said Gaddes. "the battles seem to be around us, none of them actually occurring on Asturian soil, and they are leading in a south- eastern direction."

Malerna gasped. "You- you don't think- that they are headed for Fanelia do you?"

"It is a possibility that we cannot dismiss, yes." Allen said. He stood and looked on his men and the beautiful princess before him. "That is why I shall speak with King Aston first thing tomorrow. There can be no more delays. It is my hope that he will finally understand that. Once I have his consent we deploy. Our mission will be to find these Zaiboch forces and deal with them if necessary."

"That is if you can convince him to give you consent. So far he has completely ignored you. What makes you think he will allow us to go?" Gaddes asked.

"He will simply to get rid of Allen." Malerna said. "It would be just like him."

"The princess is right. And that is what I have counted on." Allen said. "Now then. I am counting on all of you to make readiness. I want the Crusade prepped and the melefs loaded by mid-day tomorrow."

Malerna stood and faced Allen. "I'm coming."

"No. You are not." Allen said as if expecting it from Malerna.

"Allen I am! Even if I have to ask father. You can't stop me." She said.

"I'm afraid she's got ya there, commander." Gaddes said.

Allen turned to leave the room. "Very well, ask your father. Though I doubt very much that he will see any gain in sending you with me." Allen said. He stood for a moment waiting for a response but none came from Malerna. "Dismissed." He said as he walked out of the room.

The group dispersed and everyone went home or to a tavern as they did not know how long they would be gone if they left at all. All except Gaddes. Malerna pulled him aside to speak with him once again.

"You will come with me when I ask my father." She said to him as they walked to Malerna's chariot just off the pad and away a few blocks as Malerna enjoyed walking the streets of Palace when she could.

As the two walked through the streets Malerna looked at the moons in the sky. "Tell me something, Gaddes." She said. Gaddes looked at her in the blue light of the sea-dragon orb no longer wondering when she was going to ask him something about Allen. "Why does Allen treat me the way he does? Why does he not face me when he speaks to me?" She continued.

"Well princess, there is no simple answer to that. But if you want to know why he seems like he's always in a bad mood lately, then it's probably because of his sister." Gaddes said.

"His sister? What do you mean." Malerna questioned.

"Well ya see, it's like this: Celina, he tells me has been acting strangely and has been having nightmares. It's really bothering him because he can't do nothing about it." Gaddes said. "That and that time not too long ago when Celina got lost by herself in the forest west of the mountains where Allen takes her from time to time."
"Oh. I see. How awful." Malerna said in an even tone. Gaddes looked at Malerna with a critical eye. He knew that she was disappointed that the reason didn't somehow concern her. It was the selfish little princess routine showing though again. But that was just how things were.

"Princess please tell me. Why are you coming?" He asked.

"I will tell father that I am going in case the Crusade runs into any trouble with any other country's people such as Basram. They will think twice about starting a fight or doing anything of that sort if I am aboard." Malerna said. Gaddes rolled his eyes at her logic and evasion of the question.

"Princess, what is the real reason you are coming?" Gaddes asked as they reached the chariot. One of the chauffeurs stepped down and opened the door for the princess.

"Thank you for escorting me to my chariot, Gaddes soldier of Austria." She said as she put her hand out for Gaddes to kiss. Knowing she wasn't going to give him a straight answer, Gaddes paid his respects to the princess and she departed leaving him to the night. He watched the chariot disappear down the street as it turned a corner toward the castle.

"She still loves him huh?" He said to himself as he started on the way home.

In the soft flicker of firelight Celina sat with only her thoughts to accompany her. She felt warm in the light of the fire and the blanket wrapped tightly around her long body in the house of Schezar. Despite the warmth, the tears running down her cheek seemed cold. "Where are you brother? I don't want to be alone." She whispered from time to time as she looked out the open shutter at the moons in the sky.

Just then into the room came a beautiful woman with earrings of gold. She walked over to the armchair in which Celina was sitting. "My dear, it is late what are you doing out of bed?" She said in a soft and caring tone.

"Aunt Eries." Celina said. "Forgive me I could not sleep. I dream of frightening and unpleasant things. Though they seem so real I feel as if maybe they are not dreams at tal, but memories from long ago."

"It is alright my dear. Your dreams can't hurt you. Nor you memories. Come now and I shall put you to bed." Princess Eries said as she held out her hand to the girl. She took the bundled girl down a dark hall and to her bed. Over the years the princess had grown quite fond of Celina, caring for her often when Allen was away. She had also developed a further liking of Allen. They could now be considered close friends. As she walked back from the room, in the way to the common room where the two had come from, silhouetted in the firelight was Allen. Once to him he bowed to the princess and invited her to sit and drink.

"I am aware of your plans to leave tomorrow." Said Eries.
"Oh? Do they concern you?" Allen said in an even tone.

"I am confident that you are capable of taking care of yourself. My concern lies with Celina. She seems to be becoming more and more attached to you rather than less and less. Quite abnormal for a girl of marriageable age such as your sister." She explained.

"She has been a marriageable age for some years now. It is not only that she doesn't want to let me go but she chooses not to take a suitor. And I am inclined to agree. The men who have approached me about her I did not care for. Particularly Midens's second son Cliden." He said.

"Regardless, I am concerned about her because she is even more distant than ever. The only time I see her face light up is when she sees you, Allen. And my concern is furthered by her tellings of her dreams." She said looking into the fire from one of the arm chairs they were sitting in.

"Yes her dreams. Did she tell you of them?" Allen asked.

"No. Only that nightmares had been keeping her from sleep." Eries responded. "What is it that she dreams of?"

"I have almost not the heart to say aloud for she describes it like a memory as she says she feels that that is what they could be if not dreams."

"Yes, she told me of that." Eries said.

"She said she dreamt sometimes of fiery battles and blood-soaked ground and sometimes of a single person. She said it was a woman with long white hair and white skin. She also said something about this woman which is quite confusing since it sounds as if she is speaking of a human woman. She says that the woman's ears are pointed. She also said she heard a song and that the woman might have been singing it."

Princess Aries thought for a time mystified. "Those are very specific images." She finally said for lack of anything relevant to add.

"Yes. And none of the things she has described to me seem likely to have been influenced by anything before she was taken, like Austria, our mother. father, or even me. They may be influence by or be memories of when she was taken. I think that is likely." Allen paused a long while looking worried. "But what if it was." Allen trailed of becoming quiet and pensive.

"What? What if it was what, Allen?" Eries asked with concern leaning forward in her chair.

".what if it was a memory not from Celina, but from Dilandau." The air went silent. Memories of a day long since passed formed in both their minds. The day at the gravestone. It was that day for Allen at least that he started believing that nightmares could come true.

"Anyway, I shall put your mind at ease by telling you this: I have decided to take Celina with me." Allen finished.

"I see." Said Eries. "Good."

Eries set her wine glass on the table between the chairs and stood abruptly ending their conversation. Allen stood as well.

"The hour is late. I must turn in soon." Eries said. Allen escorted her to the door and her guards. "I shall see you off tomorrow. I believe my father will allow your trip. He has seemed eager as of late to rid himself of you." She said coldly but about her father and not Allen.

"Good night princess. I thank you for looking in on my sister." Allen bided Eries goodbye.

The sun shone down onto the Austrian water and they glinted brightly seeming to smile back at the life-giving sun. Clouds patched the sky hear and there and though the sun was shining the clouds threatened rain. The crew of the Crusade bustled about busily making last minuet preparations for the mission. Pyle, Oruto and Teo were taking weapon inventories, and checking supplies like food stuffs, Gaddes and Katz were securing the melef carrier to the bottom of the Crusade. The carrier held four heavy class offensive Austrian guymelefs who's pilots were Gaddes, Katz, Teo, and Oruto. All of whom had become pilots at Allen's request some years ago.

Left on the bridge of the Crusade were Riden and Kio. Their responsibility was to the Crusade. They were doing tasks such as calibrating pressurized steam pipes and checking the levastones for cracks or fissures. They were ahead of schedule and done with most of the work, but Allen was late, which wasn't like him. Kio fumbled with the wheel and looked at Riden. "Heya, don'tcha worry pal. The boss is fine. I'm sure he has pressn' matters he's attendin." Riden said trying to cheer up his friend.

"Yah, your probably right. But he's been gone a long time since I saw him this morning before he went to see King Aston. I'm just worried that he didn't get approval." Kio said deeply.

"Wella. ya know he wouldn't wait around to tell us we wasn't goin nowhere so I don't think that's just it." Riden sad as he wrinkled his brow and scratched his chin. He glanced outside to look at his city. "But that doesn't change how hard it is ta leave home. It's even harder ta leave my wife." Riden said.

"Oh yah. How is that little fire cracker doing?" Kio asked with a grin.

"She hasn't cheated on me in a whi. Hey! There he is!" Riden shouted as he ran from the com pipes he was absently shining to the window with Kio in tow.

The two men peered down at their commander below who was just standing on the edge of the pad looking at the city. "Hey, what's he doin?" Riden asked rhetorically.

"I duno." Kio said as they looked at their commander's back.
Allen stood with his arms crossed with his weight shifted to one side. After a few minuets of starring at the city he shifted his weight and looked up at the sun to check the time. He heard a carriage and held up his black gloved hand to shield his sun from the eyes. Though after a moment he no longer had need of it as a wisp of clouds cast its shadow on the entire pad. As Allen looked from the cloud to the carriage his heart went from impatience to joy as three beautiful woman stepped from it. He walked to them.

"Princesses, Celina. Good morning." Allen said.

"Good morning Allen." Malerna said pleasantly surprised at Allen's good mood.

"I apologize, we are late and have delayed your departure." Eries said.

"Quite alright. There can be no departure without my sister and the princess." Allen said. Malerna frowned at Allen's priorities but he did not notice. Malerna and Celina stepped to Allen's side as they prepared to part ways with their beloved Eries.

"I was pleased to hear that you received father's approval. I bid you farewell Allen Schezar knight of Asturia. I shall see you upon your return. May it be swift." Eries said as she looked into Allen's blue eyes. Allen looked into Aries's eyes. He felt himself lost for a moment but then took the princess's small hand in his own an kneeled before her.

"I bid you farewell Eries Aria Aston. Allen Schezar will now leave you." Allen said. He kissed Eries's hand and stood.

"Goodbye sister!" Malerna called as the three walked to the Crusade.

"I shall miss you dearly!" Celina called as well.

Eries stood by her coach and watched as the Crusade lifted off and started on its journey. "Return safely, Allen."

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Crystal56 on October 8, 2005, 11:11:03 AM

Crystal56 on
Crystal56Good second chapter too! Really good writing on this story in general!
*giggles*
This is drawing me in little by little...not as much as the Sakura one but still...