Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Murdered Childhood

Aww! A cutie story about a wolf who was orphaned young and went to stay with a snow-dog village. He feels lonely and different and just wants to be equal, but soon finds that being equal isnt always whats important :) I can kinda relate to this. x

Chapter 1 - Murdered Childhood

Chapter 1 - Murdered Childhood


STONE

Tale of an Outcast Wolf





My name is Stone. I am a white wolf from northern Alaska.

But I've never really felt that I was equal to anyone else.

You see , my story starts way back with my childhood…



“I was born into a pack unlike any other wolf had. My pack was strong, swift and sly, mere shadows against the moonlit night. We would cautiously glide behind our prey before the older wolves attacked it with their sharp teeth. Even when I was a mere pup, I so wished I could be like them, although I knew it would never be so. I felt like a loner when I stood among my pack. They were so strong, so well built, that they looked as if nothing could possibly stop them. I was small and playful, my white coat standing out like a sore thumb among the large black Wolves.

My father was the pack leader; the alpha male, and I idolised him more than any other. He, too, was well built with a sleek black coat. I was so proud of him that I would trot alongside him whatever chance I got, just to remind everyone that he was my father.”



“One night, while I was asleep, my mother walked over to me and lay down beside me. She put her head on her paws and silently went to sleep. I woke up suddenly, feeling her fur against mine. She was already fast asleep, so I stood up and trotted over to where the rest of the pack would lay. Suddenly, I heard one of the elder wolves starting to growl fiercely, I pricked up my ears and heard the pattering sound of almost-silent footsteps; we were not alone. The fog was thick around the winter air. I frantically shot my glance around but couldn't see any of the others through the grey mist. Panicking, I scampered around for my father but couldn't find him anywhere. I raced back to where my mother lay and bit her ear so she'd wake up. She turned over and opened her eyes. On seeing how startled I looked, she knew immediately that something was wrong. As if she were reading my mind, she got up and began to walk to the place my father normally kept watch. Once she had seen that he was not there, she threw back her head and howled out to my father. I waited, anxious to hear that everyone was okay and that they were only pulling a trick on us. We stood there for over thirty seconds, waiting for my father to reply. But he did not.

My mother began to panic, frantically running to and fro the same way I had done before. I let out a soft bark and ran off into the distance, to where I had heard the elder's growling. I was so eager to be the pack hero like my father. I had reached the exact spot I had heard the noises from, and looked around hurriedly, searching for the wolf I had heard, whose name was Runner. Once I had gathered the he was not there, I pricked up my ears once again to see if I could hear him again.

I waited a few seconds…

I jumped suddenly, for the noise I had heard was not of poor Runner's; it was of an enemy pack, closing in on us from the south.

I stood there, staring into the darkness with thoughts of pure horror. None of which, thankfully, could show on my face. My thin legs started to quiver slightly.

No more than three seconds later, my theory proved to be correct. Just to the limit of how far I could see, dark forms shaped in the fog. I stood my ground right up until I could see their evil eyes shining in the dark. I quickly turned on my heel and bolted back to my pack's territory, looking for my mother. But she was nowhere to be seen. Remembering what my mother had done earlier, I threw back my head and let out a weak howl that sounded rather like a moan. I was so young and so careless back then. My intension was for my mother to hear and come running to me, but unfortunately, the wrong ears had heard it.

The enemy pack had learned our position, because of me.

The fog was beginning to clear up. Just as I were about to give up hope, a young adult wolf from my pack leapt out of the bushes behind me, running at the enemy wolves. I barked with excitement, wishing I could be as brave as him. Then four more wolves ran out from behind me, also joining in the fight. I foolishly decided that I, too, should join in. I ran playfully towards the fight scene, but stopped myself just in time. The scene was disastrous. Wolves biting and clawing each other apart, lives being lost just like that *click*. I felt a paw next to mine. Looking at the ground, I saw a long black leg outstretched in front of me, as if stopping me from going any further. I looked up and saw my father standing over me; head faced the way of the fight. I barked with happiness, grateful he was okay. I had expected him to feel the same, but he seemed angry with me. He bounded forward and began to pick off the enemies one by one. Although wishing deeply that I could join in, I heeded my father's advice and ran over the hill to hide in a hollow log. It was late at night by this time, so I found myself drifting off to sleep…



I awoke to silence. I trotted out of the log and stretched my legs. It was a very bright morning considering it seemed so dark the last night. The atmosphere acted as if nothing had happened the previous night; the birds were tweeting, the sun was shining and there was no sign of the savage war I had half-witnessed.

I looked around. There was no one in sight. I had remembered the fight being over the hill so I ran back up.

My jaw dropped. The sight that was set before me was terrible. The five wolves from our pack and two more enemy wolves lay on the floor, motionless, dripping with scarlet blood.

They were dead…

I squeaked with worry and ran down to see them. Although I was grateful my father was not among the ones lost, I still feared for him.

I ran back to the valley to find my mother to tell her. But when I reached the valley where my pack was sleeping, I found to my deep sorrow that the exact same scene was there. I howled out for my mother but she did not reply. I ran to the spot I had left her last night but she was not there.

I started to unwillingly face the facts; she was dead…the whole pack was dead.

I stayed in the valley grieving all day. I lay down and suddenly felt really, really lonely. More so than I had ever felt before. There was no one left. The lives of the wolves I had idoled and loved had been taken by that savage pack. I began to whimper continuously and my stomach began to get sore.

Then, I felt my eyes closing…”


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment