Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Green and Gold

[WIP] Her mission, from the beginning, had always been clear, but now towards the end, where lines are blurred and dreams are faded, she must overcome an obstacle she could have never foreseen. [Tenten and Shino - Neji and Tenten]

Chapter 3 - Green and Gold

Chapter 3 - Green and Gold
Chapter Three: Green and Gold


Neji stared down at the dinner Tenten had prepared for the evening. It had been close to a month since they had gone to see a doctor about the problem they were having conceiving. After a few tests, they discovered that Neji's instincts had been right and that the reason they had been having trouble did lie with him. So the doctor prescribed to them the proper medication that was needed and instructions on how to prepare it.

Everyday, three times a day, Tenten prepared her husband's medication and mixed it with his food. She thought if he actually didn't have to see it, that they could pretend as if nothing was wrong, and maybe have some sense of normalcy within their lives. Tenten then looked up from her own meal over to Neji. He had been quiet lately as she watched him pick at his food. She wanted to tell him to eat, but didn't want to push him. She knew he had already taken a major blow to his ego and that coaching him as if he were a small child probably wouldn't help.

Neji could feel his wife's eyes upon him and so for her benefit he finally gathered some food with his chopsticks and brought it to his mouth. Tenten seemed pleased with this before going back to her own dinner. With her no longer watching him, Neji began to pick at his food again. It wasn't that the meal wasn't good, it was. Tenten had actually surprised him by being an excellent cook. It was just no matter what she cooked or how well it was cooked, his medication left a bitter aftertaste that after almost a month was finally starting to get to him.

Neji let out an angry, silent sigh as he readjusted the chopsticks in his hand and stabbed the food within his bowl. He hated this feeling growing within him. He had been denied his father and he had come to terms with that, but now the fates were pushing it as they put him and wife through such a trial.

“Neji?” he heard Tenten speak his name for the first time since their meal began. “I know you said you didn't want to go, but Hinata and Naruto's party is tomorrow at the Hyuuga Manor. I think it would be disrespectful not to show joy on such an occasion,” she explained.

“You're right, I said I didn't want to go and my decision has not changed,” he told her. “I am no longer concerned with the interworkings of my family.”

Tenten frowned. “That's a lie,” she stated firmly. “Because if it were true, we wouldn't be going through our lives as if we were racing a clock. Now if you'll please, hurry up and finish your dinner,” she practically demanded.

“No,” he growled, staring into her brown eyes as he shoved the bowl of food off the table. He watched as Tenten gasped, but dared not to break eye contact with him. Seeing as this was unless and that she would not back down, Neji stood up and began walking out the kitchen. “And if you are so concerned about not appearing disrespectful, attend yourself,” he told her before stepping out the room.

Tenten stared at where he had once stood for a long time before she sighed and pushed herself from the table to go get a broom and the trashcan. She carefully lowered herself to her knees as she picked up a big piece of the shattered glass. She rested it in her lap as she ran her fingers tenderly across the green and gold design and took an unsteady breath before actually throwing it away and cleaning up her husband's mess.

Neji went to bed early that night, deeply regretting the petty argument that he let get the better of him. He sat up in their bed when Tenten finally entered the room. “Tenten,” he began, but wasn't quite sure exactly what to say. He had acted so foolish.

Tenten opened a drawer to retrieve her night clothes. “It's alright, Neji,” she said with her back to him. “Accidents happen,” she told him as she turned to him and smiled.

The dark haired man lowered his head as his wife expression. “Please, don't make excuses for my poor behavior,” he asked of her. “I'm sorry about . . . wasting the medication,” he said slowly.

The smile on Tenten's face grew pained as she shook her head. “The medication?” she asked and Neji, with his head still down, nodded. “Medication can be replaced, Neji, but my-” she spoke frantically, but stopped when Neji gave her a curious look. “Never mind,” she spoke before heading out the room to prepare her bath.

By the time she came back, Neji was already fast asleep. She climbed in next to him after turning out the light. “The medication?” she murmured in disbelief and disgust before she too allowed sleep to take her.

OoOoO


The next morning, Tenten went to the little tea house as she had become accustomed to meeting Hinata and Shino there everyday. She was a little late and so Shino was already at the table when she arrived. “Morning, Shino-kun,” she greeted him brightly after ordering her drink and making her way to him, he nodded in response. “Where is Hinata this morning?” she asked.

“Helping to prepare the Manor. She will not be joining us this morning,” he informed her.

“Aw,” Tenten nodded before taking her tea with both hands and taking a sip.

“How were you injured?” Shino asked when he saw the bandage around her hand.

“Oh.” She looked sadly at her hand. “I had a bit of an accident yesterday while I was cleaning up some broken glass.” Shino seemed satisfied with her answer, but continued to listen as she went on. “It was my mother's bowl,” she whispered softly as she shook her head. “And he didn't even notice.” She then seemed angry with herself. “I don't even know why I used them last night,” she stated as she usually only used them for her and Neji's anniversary or on one of their birthdays.

“Your mother?” Shino probed.

“Hai,” she replied before looking at her companion for the morning. “I don't remember much about my life before coming to Konoha,” she began. “So she was the only mother I had ever known. She took me in when no one else seem to want me.” Tenten smiled at the thought of her. “She was very good to me. She treated me as she treated her son, my brother, as if she had given birth to me herself.”

Shino then watched as her eyes grew dull. “She died a year after Neji and I were engaged. I believe it was of a broken heart when my little brother died during the Chuunin Exam. Before she died she gave me my wedding gift early. A pair of bowls with an elaborated green and gold design. Together they were breathtaking, which is why I was surprise when she told me one was a spare. She then told me they should only be used with someone I love and as long as I did that, I would be happy.”

“They seem to be precious to you. It's hard to believe you would be so careless with one of them,” Shino noted.

Tenten frowned. “I wasn't.”

“Ah,” Shino replied as he realized what must have happened.

“Oh.” Tenten slightly drew back in surprise when she felt something on her unbandaged hand. She giggled for a moment as she noticed one of Shino's Kikaichu crawling on her.

“Gomen,” Shino offered as he reached out and allowed the Kikaichu to crawl back to him, his fingers slightly brushing her skin as he did so. “She's a bit unruly at times. As she does things without my permission.”

“Ah, a rebel among the group.” Tenten watched as the small bug disappeared under the sleeve of Shino's greenish coat with a smile.

“I hope you are not offended,” Shino spoke softly almost as if he would be scolded.

“No, not at all,” Tenten reassured him. She then pushed her drink aside as she crossed her arms on the table and leaned forward a little bit. “You know what? I think today is the most you have ever said to me.”

“So it seems,” was all he said as he slightly lowered his high collar to drink his tea.

“Why do you cover yourself up like that?” she asked without thinking, but straightened up when she clearly saw a frown form across his lips as he lowered his glass. “Sorry. Maybe that's something I shouldn't ask.”

“You would be correct,” he said a little harsher than he meant to as he once again hid behind his collar.

Funny, how in moments he reminds me of Neji, Tenten thought before the rest of her and Shino's morning went on without another word being shared between the two.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment