Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - October Sky

[Complete] One had the picture perfect family, the other barely knew what it meant. One was a model student, the other struggled to learn to read. One was kind, the other sweet, but together one would find his obsession and the other his rage.

Chapter 7 - October Sky

Chapter 7 - October Sky
Chapter Seven: October Sky


A ten-year-old Marcus Flint sat alone at his Muggle grade school within the cafeteria. Usually a child of his background, one of a Wizarding family, would have been home-schooled, but since both of his parents worked, he was forced to attend what he called his own personal hell. But things had started looking up for him about two years ago when Oliver was transferred and they were allowed to attend the same school.

Oliver made the day easier for Marcus, but since they were in different grades, they only saw each other during lunch, which is why Marcus couldn't understand what was taking his brother so long. Usually when Marcus came into the cafeteria, Oliver was already sitting down waiting for him. Marcus sighed not looking up from his food as he hoped that Oliver would show up soon.

"What's wrong, Marcus?" came a voice from beside the dark haired boy. Marcus cringed as the person took a seat next to him. "Aw, did your baby brother abandon you today?" asked Marcus' classmate named Noah.

"Yeah," came another voice Marcus recognized as his other classmate, Martin. "Maybe he finally realized what a loser you are and decided to cut his losses." Marcus stayed quiet. He knew if he did, that they would soon grow bored of their daily teasing and leave him alone. "Come on, mate, tell me, what it feels like to know you’re the butt of everyone's joke?"

"Don't ask that, Martin," Noah spoke up. "You know he's too stupid to understand the question. He may start to think about it and his brain might blow up."

"Good point," Martin took a step back. "Let's go, I don't want to catch his kind of stupid." The boys laughed as they walked off.

Marcus finally looked up from his tray when he thought it was safe too. One more year, I only have to be here one more year, so starting today I won't be spoken to like that by those two again, he promised himself. In fact, I am not going to let anyone talk to me like that anymore, no one.

OoOoO


It was the end of the day and Marcus found himself out in the hall leaning next to the locker that belonged to Oliver. He waited patiently until he saw Oliver coming his way. "Hey," Oliver greeted him as he opened his locker.

"Where were you?" Marcus almost yelled at Oliver as he arranged some books in his locker before taking the ones that he needed out.

"Huh?" Oliver looked confused as he readjusted the strap of his book bag before swinging it onto his shoulder.

"Where were you at lunch?" Marcus demanded to know.

"Oh," Oliver said and then blinked a few times before then starting to head towards the exit, ready to go home. "I had to stay in class for something. No big deal really," he explained.

"What happened? Did you get in trouble with the teacher?" he asked as he followed suit behind his brother.

"No, nothing like that. I wanted to stay. My class is doing a science project for the fair and I just wanted to get ahead on my section," Oliver told him.

"Then how come you didn't come and get me? I would have helped you out," Marcus said, knowing he would have volunteered, no matter what the task, just as long as he didn't have to be himself during lunch.

Marcus then found himself cocking an eyebrow curiously as he saw a frown mark Oliver's features, but then the frown quickly disappeared. Oliver looked at Marcus unaware that he had caught his expression. "That's okay. Like I said before, it's a class project, I have plenty of help."

Marcus was disappointed as he heard the response, but said nothing as he nodded his head and the two continued there way towards the exit. But before they reached the exit, they heard a voice from the crowd, "Oliver!"

Oliver turned to see who was calling his name and a smile came to his face as realized whom it was. "Hey, Amanda," he greeted the girl.

"I'm glad I caught you," she smiled just as brightly at him. "I just wanted to thank you for today."

The smile on Oliver's face slowly faded as he took a chance to look at Marcus who looked confused. Oliver took a hold of Amanda's arm and pulled her off to the side where Marcus couldn't hear them. The smile soon returned to Oliver's face along with a rising blush to his cheeks.

Marcus' brow furrowed as other students passed between him and the two on the other side of the hall, but all that Marcus could focus on was this Amanda girl with the long brown hair and her too blushing face. It was at that moment Marcus realized that his brother had lied to him. He had been with her during lunch, this - this girl.

Marcus left hand slowly balled up into a fist and shook with anger. He growled softly before turning away from Amanda and Oliver and heading home on his own.

OoOoO


It was late into the night as Oliver and Marcus sat outside their parent's door in the dark. "Just tell me how long this has been going on?" Gale demanded to know.

"Keep your voice down. You're going to wake the boys," Alvin told her.

"The boys are fine," she spat. "But you aren't. So just tell me, how long have you been seeing her?"

"What?" Alvin was completely thrown off by the question. "That can't be what you think."

"I'm not stupid, Alvin. I know you've been seeing her. So just tell me how long you've been fracking me over?" she asked again. Outside the door, Marcus drew his legs in and wrapped his arms around them. He had never heard his mother so upset before. It seemed as of late that they had been arguing more and more.

"Gale," he began slowly. "We've been married for over twenty years, we have two - three children, how could possibly think that of me?"

"You want to know why?" she asked as the boys heard shuffling in the room. "This is why," there was then a pause. "Just don't stand there. Take it."

There was then a long silence before either spoke again. "I can explain," Alvin said in a voice so soft that Oliver and Marcus had almost missed it.

"Well, then this should be good," was Gale's response.

But before Marcus was able to hear what his father had to say. He saw an owl hopping out of his bedroom door. He immediately recognized it as a school from Hogwarts. Chelsie had written. Marcus then quietly got to his feet. Oliver turned to him and gave him a look that Marcus translated to, 'What are you doing?' Marcus pointed down the hall and pointed out the owl. Oliver, understanding, nodded his head and turned back towards the door.

Marcus walked passed the owl and it followed him back in the safety of the bedroom he shared with Oliver. He sat on the floor as the owl came near and untied the piece of parchment. He unfolded the letter and began to read.

Dear Ollie and Mar-Mar-

Marcus stopped as soon as he started and frowned at the piece of parchment. It was the first time she had ever addressed Oliver before him, but Marcus was sure he was just overreacting and continued to read.

Dear Ollie and Mar-Mar,

Well, it's finally October and you guys know what that means. Quidditch season! I'm so excited because as you know this will be my first and last chance to play this game as Captain. Of course, the game will be against our rival house. The buggers, they aren't going to know what hit them. My team is really strong this year, so that cup is as good as ours.

I can feel it in my hands already. And of course, I know it won't be the last time I ever see it, because I know once you two make my house that I'll see it in my little brothers' hands every year. Look at me, I'm already proud of you guys and you haven't done anything yet, but I know you won't let me down.

Anyway, I got your last letter about mum and dad. I'm telling you right now, don't worry about it and stay out of grown folks business. Married people fight, there's no way around it. Besides mum and dad love each other too much to let anything get in between them for too long. I mean, if there's one thing I can count on in my life, it's that those two are inseparable. So no more listening to them outside their door. You both are growing boys, get your sleep.

Well, wish me luck for my game and don't forget to write.

Always,
Chels


After reading it, Marcus folded the letter back up and threw it on a desk for Oliver to read later. He then allowed the owl to leave before venturing back out into the hallway and down the hall. As he approached, he heard from the other side of the door. "I'll make it better, Gale. I'll swear I'll fix this," he heard his father say as it was accompanied by what sounded like his mother's crying. What happened? Marcus thought and looked to Oliver still sitting on the floor.

He was about to ask quietly what he had missed, but just then his eye had readjusted to the darkness and he was able to see Oliver's face. His mouth hung open and his eyes were wide. Marcus rested on his knees before Oliver and reached out for him, but Oliver pushed his hand out the way. Oliver then stood up and ran down the hall back into the bedroom they shared.

Curious, Marcus followed and found Oliver back in bed. "Ollie," he called softly. "What happened? Why is mum so upset?"

"He's been meeting with my mum," Oliver said with his back to him.

"Who's been meeting with mum?" Marcus asked.

"No, you don't understand," Oliver shook his head and finally turned to Marcus. "He's been meeting with my mum."

"I'm confused," Marcus admitted.

"I'm not a Flint," he told him straight out. "I never was."

Marcus sat down at the end of the bed and looked at him in disbelief. "Of course you are," he tried to reassure him. "Dad took care of that a long time ago."

"The papers never went through," he explained. "They disappeared after dad turned them in. Gale thought that he had known all along that they never went through." Oliver found it easier to call Alvin 'dad' than it was to call Gale 'mom'.

Marcus lowered his head. This couldn't be happening. "Does that mean. . ." he couldn't bring himself to say it.

"Yes," Oliver answered, understanding what Marcus was trying to say. "She's coming for me."

"When?"

"I don't know," he answered, not knowing how to feel. Was he supposed to be happy because his birth mother wanted him back, or sad because she was trying to take him away from his new family. A family he never had with her. Why was she doing this, why couldn't she just leave him alone, he wondered.

"Do- do you want to go back?" Marcus asked as he thought about the other day when Oliver had left him behind.

"I-" Oliver sighed before shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders.

"Well, if you care any, I don't want you to go," Marcus began. "So if you can, will you stay? Will you stay with me?" he asked with tears beginning to run from his eyes.

"I want to stay," Oliver said before thinking about it. He just didn't want to see Marcus sad, not his best friend. He crawled over to Marcus, who was still sitting on the end of the bed and wrapped his arms around him to give him a hug.

Suddenly, Oliver gasped sharply and pulled away from Marcus as if he had been burned. Marcus immediately lowered his head in shame, not believing he had just done that. He didn't mean to- it was only meant to be a hug, nothing more. "You kissed me," Oliver spoke just staring at him.

Marcus cringed at Oliver's tone. "I'm sorry. I-" he didn't have the words.

Oliver stared at him for a moment more. "I think it's time to go to bed," he suggested softly.

"Yeah," Marcus agreed still not looking at him as he slid off Oliver's bed and climbed into his own. "Good night," he called, but received no reply as the dim lights faded and they were surrounded not only by the darkness, but also by confusion.

To Be Continued. . .

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment