Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Sacrifice

SEQUEL TO IRIS. After her mamodo sacrifices its chance to be king by bringing Sherry Belmont back to life, Selina searches for Brago with the girl. After finding the mamodo, Selina stays with them, much to the demon’s dislike. However, they find her useful for moral and physical support during battles- and for a friend outside of them. Little do they know, she has a perfect reason to travel with them- revenge on a certain mamodo.

Chapter 1 - Sacrifice

Chapter 1 - Sacrifice
 NOTE: In a way, I felt almost challenged to make a sequel to “Iris,” since it would make for a nice little twist- if Sherry came back.
I’m assuming that some mamodos have the power to heal themselves/others… if not, then I’ve got poetic license. Teehee. I also thought this would be a good place to insert my newest original character, Selina.

If you haven’t read “Iris,” it’d be best if you went and did so. It’s only a chapter long, and it won’t take long at all to read!

SUMMARY: After her mamodo sacrifices its chance to be king by bringing Sherry Belmont back to life, Selina searches for Brago with the girl. After finding the mamodo, Selina stays with them, much to the demon’s dislike. However, they find her useful for moral and physical support during battles- and for a friend outside of them. Little do they know, she has a perfect reason to travel with them- revenge on a certain mamodo.

It’s not as crappy as the summary sounds. It’s hard to make good summaries, no? And yes, this WILL be Brago/Sherry (with a few little hints of Brago/Selina. Not much, though- nothing ever happens. Unless, of course, you WANT it to, and then you just mention that in the review.)
Chapter One- Sacrifice Selina POV

There was a river nearby… The sound of rushing water was in my ears, and I could almost smell the prospering brush around it.

“Just a little further, Yurie…” I murmured, holding tighter to the mamodo on my back. Her breath was deep and steady, but I knew she was not sleeping- instead, meditating. She was healing herself from battle, which we had, fortunately, won. The poor girl knew only one attack spell; the remaining two were only for restoring energy and cleansing wounds.

As we reached the bank of the creek, I laid her down in some soft grass, careful not to disturb her peaceful state. I smiled and stared upon her; such a gentle child. Light purple hair framed her face, the same purple as the book in my backpack. Beneath her closed eyelids were bright green eyes, a shining emerald that never ceased to glow, even in the most desperate of situations.

Kneeling down by the edge of the river, I noticed a black book on the other side of the rivulet, the same markings as ours. No! Yurie is nowhere near fit to battle again, not so soon! Glancing around for the foe, I saw a beautiful blonde woman leaning against a tree; she seemed to be sleeping. She had a calm aura about her, though she appeared a bit rough off. Strange… Why would a bookkeeper doze off, and just leave her book lying there? It’s just asking to be burned…

Then, something else occurred to me. Where was the mamodo? Hmm… Probably hunting for some fish. I sighed, and looked back to Yurie; she was still meditating. Better hurry… Don’t want to put her in any harm. Pulling off my backpack, I rummaged around in it until I found a bottle, and filled it with the cold water. Placing it back in the knapsack, I quickly closed it, not wanting the book out in the open. It’s been months since the battle for King started… I wonder how many of her kind are left? Surely, at least half are gone…

“Selina?” I jumped slightly at the voice, before realizing that it was Yurie.

“You scared me,” I replied, grinning. “Are you healed?”

“For the most part, yes.” Her eyes twinkled. “That was a close match we had, wasn’t it?”

“Indeed, it was.” I stood, placing my hand on the top of her head. “We need to go, and now. There’s another mamodo on the side of the creek.”

“No there’s not.” She gazed up at me, shaking her head.

“What do you mean? The book is right there!”

“I would sense them.”

“Then… they just left their book there, out in the open?” Why in the world would they do that?

“Looks that way to me. We should go check it out.”

“Wait- are you up for another encounter, so soon?” She said nothing, but the expression on her face told she was. “Alright then.”

Grabbing my hand, Yurie started across the water, which came to my ankles and her knees. It was refreshing, and soothed the ache of my sore feet. I was surprised they hadn’t been worn to bloody nubs, with all the running, training, and fights I’d done.

Reaching the other bank, I picked up the black book, furrowing my eyebrows. This just doesn’t make sense…

“Oh my gosh!” Yurie suddenly cried, letting go of my hand and running to the blonde and falling beside her.

“Yurie, what-” I gasped as I saw the girl close up- a bloody gash spanned across her stomach and thighs; the bottom of her dress serving as a makeshift bandage. “We’ve got to do something! I think I’ve got some real bandages in my pack-”

“Selina, no…” Yurie’s face grew dim, and for the first time, so did her eyes. “This lady is dead…”

“What?” I leant beside her, feeling for her pulse- there was nothing. “You’re right…” I bit my lip, staring down at the book in my hands. No doubt she is- WAS- the keeper of this…

“I think I know what happened…” The child spoke softly, hardly audible. “Why the spellbook was just lying here…” She turned to me, tears in her jade orbs. “I can feel it… She was in love with her mamodo. I’m thinking she was injured in battle… And when she died, he left, not caring anymore.”

“So… He just tossed away the book, figuring someone would eventually burn it?”

“Precisely.”

“Well, makes it easy for us!” I began to undo my pack, but a small hand on my forearm stopped me. “No, Selina, don’t do it.”

“Wh… what?”

“I can really tap into this woman’s emotions… They’re so strong… Even in death…” She lowered her head, and I saw a tear drop onto the ground. “I want to help her.”

“Is that possible?”

Nodding, Yurie took both my hands. “I can sacrifice my own chance to be King to bring this lover back to life.”

“No… Yurie, no! Don’t just… throw it all away like that!” She couldn’t do this… not after we worked so hard! And… not after what had happened to me…

“You know I never wanted to battle anyways,” she said with a smile, “just like my friend Kolulu. And… I know that if I do this, I’ll be doing the right thing- something I can be proud of.”

A hot, burning liquid began to well up in my eyes, and I sniffed, throwing my arms around her. “I’ll miss you, Yurie…”

“And I you… If we have a benign king, I’m positive he’ll let us come visit!” she pulled away, placing her hands on the blonde’s chest. “Read the second spell.”

I opened my bag and grabbed the lilac book, turning to the spell with a sigh. It really is for the best, I suppose…Aryiana!

Suddenly, Yurie began to glow, and as did the lady she was touching. The blood on her dress and skin disappeared, and with a soft shaaa, her bosom began to rise and fall once more. “When I’m gone,” Yurie told me, her form fading away, “take her and find the mamodo- make sure they are reunited!”

Blinded by my tears, I could barely make out my mamodo’s form as she disappeared, beaming the entire time.
NOTE: If you flame, please be considerate of the author’s feelings. Constructive criticism is welcomed, of course.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment