Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Go Figure

SEQUEL TO IRIS. After her mamodo sacrifices its chance to be king by bringing Sherry Belmont back to life, Selina searches for Brago with the girl. After finding the mamodo, Selina stays with them, much to the demon’s dislike. However, they find her useful for moral and physical support during battles- and for a friend outside of them. Little do they know, she has a perfect reason to travel with them- revenge on a certain mamodo.

Chapter 3 - Go Figure

Chapter 3 - Go Figure
 
NOTE: Yay, Sherry is now alive! Oh. And yah, I know that if a mamodo’s bookkeeper dies, it’s chance for King is pretty much kaphooey, but since Sherry’s back in action, so is Brago! Who, coincidentally, is in this chapter!

And look! So are Koko and Zofis! –grr-

Mamodo has practically no synonyms, so pardon the overuse of the word.

Guh. Brago is such a hard POV to write in… It’s so easy to make him completely and totally out of character.

I don’t own Zatch Bell. Makoto Raiku does, however. Lucky dog.
Chapter Three- Go Figure
 
Brago POV

I wandered around the forest aimlessly, occasionally kicking a rock or such, trying to vent everything that was balled up inside me. Pathetic humans… I let out a cry of frustration as I slammed my fist into an oak, leaving a good sized hole in the middle. No… Sherry was anything but pathetic. Continuing on my way- if one could call it that, I saw a young couple holding hands and laughing, the male carrying a picnic basket. Curse it; I must be getting near a town. Gritting my teeth, I took another route that seemed to lead deeper into the woods.

Why do things always have to end up this way? Why did we have to team up with humans in the first place? It only brings pain… Suddenly, I felt another mamodo’s presence nearby. Climbing into the nearest tree, my eyes widened as I watched the creature and his bookkeeper pass by- none other than Koko and Zofis.

“Let’s rest here for a bit, Zofis,” said the brunette, and he nodded. Oh, great. This is JUST what I need, to be stuck up here in this tree until they leave.

“I’m sensing a mamodo nearby,” Zofis commented, looking about, “yet they are nowhere in sight.”

“They’ll show eventually, or we’ll just have to find them.” Koko laughed, a cold chuckle. I grimaced, knowing that the girl had once been Sherry’s best friend. Most of her energy in battles came merely from the thought of saving Koko from her entrapment. Her demon used spells of fire, but he had the power to change people’s hearts- as he had done his master’s.

“So,” the girl began, “how long ‘till we find Sherry and Brago?”

“It can’t possibly be too long, just have patience. I can feel that very few mamodo are left- twenty at the most, and sooner or later we’ll have a run in with them.” No, you won’t… Not now. I slowly shifted my position on the branch, anything but comfortable. “Sherry is weak, unlike you, my dear. It will be almost too easy to defeat them.”

That’s what YOU think. We were stronger than you will EVER be. I clenched my fists, using all of my willpower not to attack the team right then and there. Were… It had been two days, two long, miserable days, since Sherry had died, and I still had full intentions of keeping my promise- I was going to free Koko from Zofis’s grasp. I’ve got to store energy, though… I can’t just battle on an impulse. It’s more difficult without spells, but I can still wrench her soul away from him-

“Come on, Zofis, this is boring. I wanna battle!” Koko stood, and her partner followed suit. I waited until they were completely out of sight and earshot before dropping to the ground, heaving a deep breath. Twenty mamodos left… We were so close. Treading in the opposite direction of the others, my mind was racing. What if someone burns my book before I can free her? Is her body still there, or has someone- or something- found it already?

I turned upon hearing a large crash, and saw smoke rising into the sky- and then flames. Looks like we aren’t the only mamodos in the forest. Deciding it would be safer not to stay on the main path, I pushed into the brush, raking through thorns and leaves. At least she’s in a better place now… There won’t be any more pain or suffering.

I trudged on for the rest of the afternoon, stopping near dark by a creek. Gazing down in the water, I placed my hand right on top, waiting until a fish swam under before grabbing it. Sherry would always cook these. I still don’t understand why; you get much more out of it when it’s raw. The thing flopped around for a moment until suffocating in my grasp, and I grunted.

After catching and eating several fish, I leaned back, staring up at the stars that were beginning to peek out of the night sky. Where am I headed to, anyways? What else do I have to do, except free Koko?

Shaking my head, I closed my eyes. What will that girl even do, when she IS out of his confinement? Sherry was her only friend, and vice versa.

I sighed, and remembered back to right before she died. She’d said the three words I’d given anything not to hear, the three words that I never let into my mind- I love you.

I never wanted to admit that I felt the same. For a demon like me, it wasn’t characteristic, and it just wasn’t likely to happen- but it had. Naturally. The dark, proud mamodo fell in love with a human, of all things. It must be some sort of revenge from the gods for my condescendence.

Go figure.
NOTE: I don’t like the ending of this chapter… I just couldn’t think of anything else to do! There isn’t really much Brago CAN do, not until Sherry and Selina find him! Which will be in the chapter after next! Yay!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment