Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Of Crucial Importance

SEQUEL TO IRIS. After her mamodo sacrifices its chance to be king by bringing Sherry Belmont back to life, Selina searches for Brago with the girl. After finding the mamodo, Selina stays with them, much to the demon’s dislike. However, they find her useful for moral and physical support during battles- and for a friend outside of them. Little do they know, she has a perfect reason to travel with them- revenge on a certain mamodo.

Chapter 4 - Of Crucial Importance

Chapter 4 - Of Crucial Importance
 
NOTE: Chapter four! Back to Selina and Sherry. This chapter is in Selina’s POV; I’m making a pattern- Selina, Sherry, Brago. Unless, of course, one of them is in a situation in which they can’t narrate, and then we’ll skip to another character.

It’s so much easier to write in the POV of an original character. Then YOU get to decide what they’re like.

Chapter Four- Of Crucial Importance
Selina POV

Sherry and I slowly walked along the dirt path, not a cloud in the sky to block the sweltering heat from the sun. She had hiked up her skirt to knee-length and rolled up her sleeves, but I did neither. I can’t let her see what’s beneath, and besides, I’m used to the boiling temperature.

Occasionally, we would pull out the water bottle and take a swig, always making sure we were near the creek. If either of us got dehydrated, it would be bad for the other- especially if there wasn’t any water around.

I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, and turned to see Sherry’s saddened eyes. “We need to rest.” I nodded, and sat down on the ground, leaning against the tree. Following suit, she still clung to the black book- as if she expected something to jump out of nowhere and steal it.

“It’s always ten degrees cooler in the shade,” I commented, trying to make our situation a little more optimistic. Sweat glistened on my face and hands, and it was no less on her. Reaching into my pack, I pulled out a ribbon and handed it to her with a gentle smile.

“Thank you,” she breathed, pulling her thick hair back with a sigh. “Aren’t you hot?” She motioned to my long sleeves and pants, but I shook my head. “I grew up in these parts, I’m completely comfortable with the warmth.”

“Oh… I see.” She rubbed at her eyes before glancing over at me. “Did your mamodo say that there would be any side-effects to my being healed?”

“She didn’t mention any, no.” At her worried look, I quickly continued. “But don’t worry! I’m sure there are some; she just didn’t have time to notify me before she left.” Why is she asking?

“Maybe so.” A gentle breeze flew through the hair, and I closed my eyes in relief. “How long was I dead, do you suppose?”

I laughed at the casual way she asked, and shrugged. “The wound still looked fresh, so I’m thinking about two or three days.”

“That’s not too long… I just hope that Brago isn’t a long way away by now.”

“Hmm… I’m almost positive it’s not far.”

“You don’t know Brago.” She smiled, but even then her azure eyes were down turned. “I suppose you’re right, though.”

“What could he be doing, just wandering aimlessly?”

From her expression, I took that as a yes.

Rummaging around in my knapsack, I pulled out the canteen, offering it to Sherry. She took it eagerly and had a few sips before handing it back. “It’s almost empty. I can go refill it in the brook.” She began to stand, but I stopped her.

“No, you’re far too exhausted. I’ll go, you stay here and rest a little.” The ghost of a smile played across her lips, and I returned it. “Be right back.” Poor girl, she’s completely give out… Perhaps it IS just an after-effect of Yurie’s spell… Or is she really just sick?

Reaching the water, I dipped the jug into the icy liquid, sighing at the relief of the cold. A small fish swam by, and I remembered just how much mamodos liked them. And then, realization popped in my mind. That’s it! We’ll follow the river; no doubt he’s staying near it for food and water.

Feeling rather proud of myself, I sauntered back to our resting place to find Sherry asleep. Chuckling slightly, I set the bottle in my backpack and laid beside her, ready for a nap of my own.
It was early the next morning when I woke, Sherry still deep in dreamland. I let out a little moan and stretched, not intending to have slept this long. Though I hated to do it, I reached over and softly shook the girl, smiling when her eyes opened. “Good morning.”
She yawned and sat up, wiping the sleep from her cerulean orbs. “Is it morning already?”

“I’m afraid so, and we really should get going. I realized yesterday while I was out refilling the canteen that Brago is probably staying close to the river.”

“For food and water?”

“Precisely.” Standing, I threw my pack over my shoulder and began to walk; she followed suit.

After about an hour of trudging in the warmth, our pace began to slow. I was still going strong, but Sherry was having trouble keeping up. “What’s wrong?” I asked, after we stopped for the umpteenth time to rest.

“It’s… freezing…” What the heck?

“It’s at least ninety degrees out here! How can you possibly be cold?” I reached over and felt her forehead- she had a fever. That would explain it.

She tried to take another step but fell; fortunately I was able to catch her. The black book fell to the ground, her whole body limp. “Oh, lovely…” I let out a breath. “Has this ever happened before?”

“Mmm… It’s- I’m just weak from recovery, that’s all…” I could barely understand her words, and I could tell she was close to passing out.

“Don’t worry, Sherry. We’re going to find Brago, and we’re going to find him soon.” Placing the spellbook in my backpack, I turned away from her and pulled her arms over my shoulders, grabbing her thighs. Her headrested against one of her arms, almost touching myface- I could feel the cold sweat on her cheeks. She’s so fragile… I need to find her mamodo, soon. I have a feeling he’ll know what to do.

Clambering to my feet, I kept a tight grip on the girl’s body as we moved on, sometimes breaking into a full-out run. Is this really an effect from being healed, or a whole new sickness?

“Brago…” she murmured, and I winced.

The faster we found him, the better.
NOTE: We find Brago in the next chapter! Wooh! And since Sherry’s rather out at the moment, it will be in his POV.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment