Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Proving Her Worth

SEQUEL TO IRIS. After her mamodo sacrifices its chance to be king by bringing Sherry Belmont back to life, Selina searches for Brago with the girl. After finding the mamodo, Selina stays with them, much to the demon’s dislike. However, they find her useful for moral and physical support during battles- and for a friend outside of them. Little do they know, she has a perfect reason to travel with them- revenge on a certain mamodo.

Chapter 8 - Proving Her Worth

Chapter 8 - Proving Her Worth
 
NOTE: You know what’s hard? Making up mamodo names and powers. It’s annoyingly hard. It shouldn’t be, but it is. I’m going to stop now, before I go into a rant… Which I’m prone to do. Eh. I decided on cosmic, just because.

Zatch Bell, not mine. Makoto Raiku, ‘tis his. Lucky lucky lucky not fair. –sigh-

Chapter Eight- Proving Her Worth
Brago POV

If Selina was anything, it was an annoyance.

Sherry, of course, was the whole reason I allowed her to stay with us. If she hadn’t needed a friend so much, that blue-haired tramp would have hit the road a long time ago.

Walking silently through the forest, I glanced over my shoulder at the girl, who was taking up the rear of our ‘line.’ It consisted of my human, book ready in hand, then me, and then Selina. “Hurry up,” I commanded, before turning back and watching straight ahead.

Thrusting my fists into the pockets of my pants, I began to think of ways to ditch the woman. There weren’t any solutions I could come up with that would leave Sherry content. Huffing a breath, I shook my head. As long as she’s happy, I suppose. Sooner or later, I’ll be rid of this place and its pathetic inhabitants…

Which means the bookkeeper as well.

Scowling, I pondered the condition for what seemed the first time. If I’m King, I should be able to travel between the two worlds… And if I’m not- I stopped my musings, mentally kicking myself. Of course I was going to be King, there was no ‘if’ about it.

“Brago?” My head shot up at the sound of my name, and I found Sherry looking back at me.

“Yes?”

She reached up and tucked a piece of blonde hair behind her ear, expression nonchalant. “Do you sense any enemies nearby?”

I paused, and could, indeed, feel the presence of an opponent. “It’s not strong, or weak. They probably know we’re here- so prepare for a battle at any time.” I glared at Selina, and she quickened her pace, knowing what I was about to say.

“What do I do, while you two are fighting?” she asked, running until she was by Sherry’s side. Hmmph. Stupid girl, figure it out by yourself.

“Hmm… You know, I hadn’t really thought about that,” she replied, and I rolled my eyes. “Cheer us on, I suppose!” She smiled, and locked her eyes with mine. “What do you think Brago?”

“I think you should have considered more of the cons of having her around, other than the pros.”

“You always have something nice to say, don’t you?” Selina commented sarcastically. “Why can’t you be nice, just for once?”

“‘Nice’ isn’t exactly in my vocabulary.” I swapped looks with Sherry, and a small smirk fell onto her lips. It’s good to have her back, however much a nuisance she might be. We hadn’t had much time to ourselves since she was revived obviously, so we hadn’t discussed what happened before she died. She’d spoken that three-word confession, the ‘I love you’ that I’d give anything not to have heard. I truly, honestly, completely didn’t want her to love me, but there was no use going to change the human heart- or what was in my own. I couldn’t deny that I felt for her, I had changed since being sent to the human world.

The transformation was, in a word, horrible. I despised mankind, loathed their race, yet here I was, my heart exposed for one of the species- and even worse, my bookkeeper.

I’ll never hear the end of it when I get back.

“They’re getting closer,” I said, alert to every movement, every single breath that was taken. I noticed that Selina was still walking by Sherry, and if she called a spell it would go straight through the girl. Grabbing her arm, I wrenched her out of the way, forcing her behind me. “Stay back,” I warned, and she nodded. “Just try and keep out of the way. I don’t want a weakling like you getting our book burned.”

She sighed, and rather exaggeratedly at that. “I won’t, so don’t fret about me.”

I could care less about you. Biting my tongue, I raised my arm in preparation for an attack. “Any moment now-”

As if on cue, a blast of light shot in my direction, and sidestepped it with ease. “You’ll have to do better than that,” I hissed as a man stepped out of the brush, holding an ivory-colored spellbook. He was followed by a childish mamodo about half his height.

“Ha!” he replied, running a hand through his light green hair. “You haven’t seen nothing yet! Xavier, a spell!”

Before his keeper could call one, however, Sherry had opened the book and was shouting my first spell.

Reis!” The ball of gravity zoomed towards the enemy, knocking over the demon. Xavier only chuckled.

“Such a puny attack, wait ‘till you see this! Let’s go, Farent! Bekaor!” Out of the mamodo’s hand came a burst of tiny light beams, hurtling towards us. I started to dodge the attack, but realized that the rays were splitting- heading for both Sherry and me! Throwing myself in her direction, I managed to pull her to the ground just in time to miss the spell. She gasped as the book flew from her hands and landed on the ground several feet away- then picked up by Xavier.

“Hmmph. It’s too bad isn’t it, Farent? I was actually hoping for a real fight,” he said arrogantly. Farent began to laugh, and I lunged at him, pinning him to the ground with my legs and throwing punches into any available flesh. Xavier tried to cast a light to burn my book with, but couldn’t get the book in a position that it would light without the spell being blocked by my body. Suddenly, a fist rammed into his stomach, and he fell to the ground in pain, dropping the spellbook. None other than Selina grabbed it.

“Son of a gun,” she muttered, handing the book back to Sherry with a pleased smile. “Finish him off.”

“I’ve got you right where I want you.” Smirking, I didn’t move off of Farent’s trembling and bloody body as she called the finishing attack.

Giganoreis!”

That was the end of that. No more Farent, no more ivory book. And for once, I was thankful Selina had tagged along. She was still annoying, of course…

Just a little less now.
NOTE: That was a… bad ending. Meh. But I liked it… In a way.
 

That makes sense, mmhmm.

Selina POV next chapter! Should be interesting- she and Sherry have a girl’s day out! And in Chapter Ten- well, you’ll see. :)

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment