Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Part 3-The Second Attack

Natalie just transferred to the Kadic Boarding School. Now she's found the factory. But is she a Fighter of Lyoko or a Monster of XANA?

Chapter 3 - Part 3-The Second Attack

Chapter 3 - Part 3-The Second Attack
Natalie and Yumi sat together in science class on a sunny Tuesday afternoon writing notes down in their books. Natalie was hard at work trying to get down every piece of information that Mrs. Hertz blurted out at any given moment. Yumi was listening as well, but she was feeling less stressed and sketched a random doodle of a box or hornet monster whenever she felt bored. Natalie looked over at her notes and stared at her innocently.
"Why aren't you taking any good notes?" she whispered. "This lesson is downright hard!"
"The gang and I heard this lesson once before you came," Yumi replied. "We fought XANA and then went to the past. I know just about everything she's going to say."
"Then will you help me later? I'm not good at science."
"Neither is Ulrich. I've got to go home later. Remember, I'm not a boarder here. Odd can teach you."
"But he's not in the same class as I am."
"He's excellent in science."
"YUMI!! NATALIE!!" Mrs. Hertz shouted. "Do I need to separate you two? I just don't see what's so important that you must talk about it in the middle of this lesson. Especially you, Natalie, since you're new here and need to catch up with the rest of the class."
"Yes, Ma'am!" Natalie replied. "I'm sorry. I was just asking Yumi about one part of the lesson."
"Then ask me about it. I'm the teacher after all."
Natalie giggled and said, "Yes, Ma'am. I was wondering if you could tell me about the part of this physics lesson with the simple machines."
"There's six," Mrs. Hertz replied. "Did you do any of your studying last night?"
"Yes, I did," Natalie confirmed. "I'm sorry, Ma'am, but science is not my strongest point."
With those words, the bell rang. The students got up from their seats and walked out of the classroom with the relief that another class was over. Yumi stayed behind and waited for Natalie to finish gathering up her belongings. Sissy waited as well to observe what the two would talk about.
"Pretty tough lesson today, huh?" she asked to Natalie. Natalie ignored her and placed her books on top of one another to leave the room. Sissy gave her a stubborn look and followed her, slamming the door behind her. That cut off Yumi's exit. She opened up the door and charged down the hallway towards the exit of the school.
"Now that was mean!" Natalie told Sissy. "Why did you cut Yumi off like that? She never did anything to you."
"Oh, you don't know half of it," Sissy replied, walking ahead. "Yumi and I have been going at it since the school year started. If you wonder why, it's a secret. I'll let you figure it out on your own."
"It wouldn't happen to be about the fight over Ulrich, would it?"
Sissy froze in her tracks. She turned her head to the side and watched Natalie's innocent face turn into a sweet smile. Her eyes widened at the perfect guess. She was expecting Natalie to sit there guessing all day so she could laugh at her all she wanted.
"My friends told me all about it," Natalie explained. "To be honest, I really think you should give up on him. No offense or anything, but he's too in love with Yumi to even pay attention to you."
Sissy's jaw dropped. Natalie smiled, gave the peace sign, and ran off to meet the rest of her friends in the campus courtyard.

Odd, Jeremy, and Ulrich stood together at the vending machines trying to get them to work. Natalie ran over to them waving and stood in front of the soup machine.
"Hi, Guys!" she greeted. "What's going on?"
"These machines are at it again," Ulrich replied. "They're so annoying. Whenever you put the right amount of change in, it doesn't work. Then, even if you put the exact change in it again, it goes crazy on you and gives you exactly what you didn't ask for."
Natalie laughed and watched Jeremy press a button on the soda machine. Nothing happened. He pounded on it, but nothing came out.
"Can I try?" Natalie asked.
"Go ahead," Jeremy offered, "but I don't think you can get the right soda to come out."
"You put exact change in, right?"
"Yeah."
"Stand back."
The boys did as they were told and watched Natalie press her palms together out in front of her. She hummed a strange tune to herself and jabbed her fist into the machine. The boys heard a clack, and the correct soda came flying down to the receiving point! They stared in awe and watched as Jeremy picked it up and examined it closely.
"That's amazing!" he cried. "How did you get it to do that??"
"And what's with those cool moves?" Odd added. "You looked like a blackbelt karate master!"
"And how did you know where to hit it?" Ulrich chimed in. "You've been here for a few days, and you already know how to manipulate snack machines!"
"It was a lucky guess!" Natalie replied, waving her arms back and forth in front of herself. "I've moved around a lot. Vending machines are the same wherever you go."
"Were they like that in the states?" Odd asked.
"Worse! Sometimes it took two punches to get a snack down from them. Half of the time, it wasn't even the right one! I'm glad I moved here. Kadic Junior High is way better than my old school. Oh yeah! Odd, I was wondering if you could help me with something."
"What?"
"Could you give me some tutoring on physics? Yumi said you were a good science student."
"She's not lying," Jeremy interrupted. "I'd help out, too, but I'm going to talk with Aelita for a little while. Feel like coming, Ulrich?"
"Why not," he said. The two boys started heading off for Jeremy's room. They waved good-bye to their friends and ran inside one of the buildings. Odd and Natalie waved back and started walking towards the exit of the school grounds.
"Why don't I take you to the ice cream parlor?" Odd suggested. "I'll tutor you there, and we can enjoy some sweets at the same time!"
"I'd love to!" Natalie cheered. "Unfortunately, my wallet is up in my room."
"I'll treat you," Odd offered. "I've got plenty of money."
"Oh, my gosh! Are you sure?"
"Of course I am! Nothing's too much for a pretty girl like you."
Natalie giggled as Odd took her vacant hand. The other one still had all her science books in it. The two walked off the school grounds and into town.

In Lyoko, a simple tower created a red aura.

"Okay, so did Mrs. Hertz tell you anything you needed to know?" Odd asked, placing some money on the counter. The employee took it and started up a sundae in the back room.
"No," Natalie replied, "the bell rang just before she was going to tell me about the six simple machines."
"That's easy!"
"Maybe for you,"
The employee brought back a giant hot fudge sundae and placed it on the top counter. Odd took it and walked over to a two-seater table. Natalie hugged her books and followed him. She sat down on the opposite side from him and hung her head. Something shiny came up to her eyes. She looked up to see Odd offering her a spoon.
"You need one of these," he told her. "Unless, of course, you'd rather eat some hot fudge with your hands!"
"Hey," Natalie said back, "don't compare me to Nicholas!"
The two laughed it up and started digging into their ice cream. Odd took a huge scoop of vanilla and shoved it into his mouth all at once. Natalie placed a tiny scoop of strawberry into her mouth and opened a textbook.
"So that formula is speed divided by--"
"ARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!"
Natalie looked up with a shock and saw Odd hold his head in pain. Her eyes grew wide as he stood up. For all she knew, XANA could be attacking him head-on! She stood up out of her seat, dropping her textbooks on the floor, and ran to Odd.
"Brain freeze!!" he shouted. "VERY BAD BRAIN FREEZE!!!"
Natalie started cracking up and hugged Odd from behind. He clenched his teeth and squeezed his eyelids together to stop the cold from taking over his head. He shook his head and let out a long sigh.
"That's better," he huffed, relieved. "Thanks for the hug!"
"You're welcome!" Natalie replied, letting go of him. "Now since I helped you get rid of the brain freeze, will you help me understand physics?"
"Of course. Now, you wanted to know the six simple machines, right?" Odd sat back down. Natalie followed and picked her books up from the floor.
"Yes, what are they?"
"Write this down. There's the pulley, lever, wheel, axel, wedge, and screw."
"What about the gear?"
"That's more of a complex one."
Natalie finished scribbling down the notes and scooped another load of strawberry ice cream and hot fudge into her mouth. After swallowing it, she turned the page in her book and studied the first few lines. After licking her spoon twice, she looked at some more notes. Odd just watched her and twirled his spoon in the vanilla.
"So, you done?" he asked.
"I think I've almost got everything from your notes," Natalie returned. "There's just this formula and...got it! Yes! Okay, I'm pretty sure I can get a good grade on the next quiz. Yumi told me that there's going to be one in the morning class today."
"With my notes, there's no way you can fail!" Odd reassured, standing up and taking the empty bowl. "Are you ready to head back to school? We need to be in bed before Jim comes looking for us."
"Oh yeah! Let's go!"
Natalie gathered her books and headed for the door. Odd placed the bowl back on the counter and followed her into the city back towards school.

Back at Kadic Junior High, Odd walked Natalie back to her room. She put her hand on the doorknob and stopped to say good-night. She smiled at him and gave the peace sign.
"Thanks for the ice cream," she said. "I had a really great time."
"So," Odd began, "when can I take you out again? How are you doing in biology? I can tutor you on those subjects."
"Actually, Odd..." Natalie trailed, frowning, "I don't think it would be a good idea."
"Why not?"
"Well, I heard somewhere that you kissed this girl named Samantha once. I don't want anyone to think you were two-timing, so maybe you should stay away from me. I'm just doing it for your own good."
"Oh," Odd softly gasped, "I see."
"Good night. I'll see you tomorrow."
Natalie closed the door behind her just as Odd started to walk away. She tossed her books on the floor and stretched her arms. After taking her boots off, she flopped onto her bed. She blinked for a little while before finally closing her eyes and falling asleep.
The vent above her started to emit a strange black ooze. It fell down on top of Natalie and entered her body from wherever it could. The last of it drooled itself into her ears. Within her mind, a small, mechanical voice came to her and said:
"You and I are one again."

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

KotokoPlum on September 25, 2004, 7:54:12 AM

KotokoPlum on
KotokoPlumOmigosh, omigosh, omigosh, what is XANA going to do with Natalie?! The suspense is killing me!!!!

bloodyangel on August 10, 2004, 12:52:46 PM

bloodyangel on
bloodyangelSo good, keep going. Is Natalie going to figure out she's from Lyoko soon?

SuicidalMunkys on August 8, 2004, 1:16:32 AM

SuicidalMunkys on
SuicidalMunkysIt's such a great story!

Sunshine_Fox on August 7, 2004, 9:11:02 AM

Sunshine_Fox on
Sunshine_FoxI love this story,it's so... beyond words!