Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 - The Beginning

The story begins when a young man finds a crystal in his family's attic...

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Chapter 1 - Chapter 1 - The Beginning
Chapter 1

        Dawn arose over the city of Eaton, revealing the morning fog that blanketed the area. A closer look at a line forming through the fog revealed seventeen-year-old Phoenix, dashing at breakneck speeds in record time to get to school on time.

        ``This is absolutely nuts! Having to go to school at the crack of dawn! Who made up this schedule?!'' Phoenix screamed as he practically leaped over the stream, ignoring the nearby bridge. He saw the flag rising up the flagpole as Eaton High came into view. The automated gate closing also caught his glimpse, forcing Phoenix to muster up the strength for his final dash, making it through the gate seconds before it closed with a loud clang. Arriving at his desk with some time before class actually started, Phoenix finally collapsed in exhaustion.

        ``Wow, Phoenix. That was practically a world record, but I don't know for what, fastest dash or almost being late for school,'' stated a young woman with her raven hair tied back in pigtails as she walked to her desk, next to Phoenix. Phoenix caught his breath and looked over at his friend Serenity, who smiled in an amusing manner. ``Better?''

        ``Shut up,'' Phoenix retorted. ``It's their fault for starting school so early.''

        ``But just the same, I know what you did last night. You stayed up late and played videogames again, didn't you?''

        ``No, it just so happens that I was doing something constructive last night.''

        ``Oh really, and what would that be? I bet it wasn't your homework!''

        Phoenix's face fell. ``We had homework?''

        Serenity gasped in shock. ``You mean you really didn't know? Of course we had homework, if that's what you want to call it. I mean we had at least two assignments in every class!''

        Phoenix felt like he was going to throw up. ``Two homework assignments?! That's at LEAST eighteen assignments!'' The schedule at Eaton High included nine thirty-minute classes per day, not including lunch hour.

        ``Well okay, if you weren't doing your homework, what oh-so-evidently-constructive thing did little Phoenix do?''

        Phoenix paused for a moment. ``…I listened to Dakota and Isis' new CD.''

        Serenity burst out laughing. ``You're kidding! Please tell me you were drawing while listening to it, because otherwise the only constructive thing you were doing last night was sleeping, weren't you!'' She resumed her frivolous laughter.

        ``Aw come on! You know I can't stand homework. Actually I was starting on it, but I got bored and wanted to listen to the CD.''

        ``Liar,'' Serenity resumed her stature. ``But you're right, Dakota and Isis have the most interesting vocals I've ever heard. Besides, I know music's your passion, so it seems right that you'd listen to a CD instead of doing your homework.''

        The bell rang for class to start , and the teacher walked in. ``Alright class, calm down,'' she said, tapping a ruler on her lecture stand to calm everyone down as they went to their seats. ``Okay, we're going to go over the first assignment from last night. Phoenix, could you go over the first problem for us?''

        Phoenix sighed and slunk into his seat as Serenity stifled a giggle. This was going to be a long day…

        Meanwhile…

        In another location unknown to man…

        A young woman walked down the aisle to a throne awaiting her at the end. She turned and sat down, and her subjects, formerly on each side of the aisle finally filled the path, stopping short just within hearing distance. However, even that distance was dangerous.

        ``You still can't find any of those crystals?''

        ``No ma'am,'' the crowd answered in unison.

        ``How ridiculous. You know we need those crystals to rule the world!'' She clasped a black jewel on her necklace. ``I want you to go out there and find them quickly.''

        ``May I take care of that task, madam?'' a voice echoed throughout the room. A young man stepped out of the darkness. He stood tall, his long black hair slightly wavering in the cold breeze felt in the room. ``I've felt a source of power somewhere, and I would like to investigate it, but only with your permission. It could be one of the crystals we're looking for.''

        ``It sounds appealing, but try not to let anyone see you. If it is a crystal that we need, make sure to snatch it and bring it right back, no questions asked. I leave it to you, Dominic.''

        ``Thank you, madam.'' The young man bowed and walked out.

        *       *       *

        Phoenix looked up at the clock. 5:30 already?! Geez, how long were they gonna keep him here?! He gave up all hope of leaving anytime soon when she walked in the room. Kayla was the head cheerleader of the school, but also the person in charge of detentions. She gave him a distained look.

        ``I figure they've kept you here long enough. Keep it up Phoenix, and you'll be in Saturday school. Not to mention this is a big waste of my time as well. Get your act together, cause when a teacher can come in and fill this job instead of them having me do it, there's gonna be no mercy for you, you got that? Now, get out of here, and try to get your homework done. Luckily it's Friday, so you've got all weekend.'' She turned and left the room, sighing heavily as she walked out.

        ``Yes, my love…'' Phoenix said with hearts in his eyes. It wasn't news that Phoenix had a crush for Kayla. It also wasn't news that she liked him in return… well, to everyone else it wasn't. Both were completely oblivious to each other's feelings. Grabbing his stuff, Phoenix began to walk home when he saw Serenity coming around a corner.

        ``Oh, I was wondering when they were gonna let you out of there. Are you okay? I don't see any whip lashes or cuts. You must've held your own. So, what do you think of my new outfit?'' She twirled around in her new outfit, a dress that sported a V-neck, high collar and came down to about halfway down her thighs, if not a little longer. On her feet were leg boots which almost came up to touch her dress, and on each arm was a separated sleeve which held tight around her bicep and loosened as it came closer to her wrists, where the sleeved dropped well below the wrist as it cut off.

        ``It's… different. I like it a lot, though,'' Phoenix observed. ``Well hey, I've got to go home. I'll see you at the concert tomorrow night?''

        ``Yeah, that's what I bought this for!''

        Phoenix and Serenity parted ways and Phoenix began to head home. Through the park, where the sun setting over the trees in the forest gave off a wonderful light. Children playing on the playground equipment glanced lightly over towards him, then resumed their playing. He stopped when he came to the bridge over the stream he had miraculously jumped that day, and looked down into the water.

        ``Another day in detention, another day of endless homework. And it's Friday. Isn't there anything better than this in my life?'' He looked at his watch. Oh man. Mom was going to kill him. He picked up the pace until he stood before the shop he and his mother worked at and lived above. The bell rang as he begrudgingly opened the door.

        ``There you are, Phoenix! Did you get held behind again? The school called me today and told me you weren't doing your homework. Why is that, young man?''

        ``I just had my head somewhere else.''

        ``Well, you can't do that! You've got to concentrate on your homework and building a future for yourself! Don't be like your father, honey. He got himself killed because his head was in the clouds.''

        ``He was on an airplane that crashed in the Amazon, mom.'' Phoenix replied bitterly.

        ``Don't use that tone on me, young man. Anyway, I need a couple of your father's artifacts from the attic to sell, could you bring them down? The shop's closed and I want to get dinner started so I'm expecting you to bring them down and set them up, okay?''

        ``Sure, mom.'' Phoenix trudged upstairs.

        The family attic was cluttered with artifacts from his father's adventures. Phoenix looked around. Now what would be good enough to sell, he thought. A trunk laying in a blanket of dust caught his eye. Hmm, well, let's see what's in here, Phoenix wondered as he sat down to open the chest. Inside the chest seemed nothing to be of special value. One thing that he did find, however, was a blue crystal on a chain, which seemed to glow in the dim light of the attic. Wow, this would be neat to wear to the concert. I wonder if it's okay to take it? Oh well, I'll ask Mom about it later, when I'm done.

        A noise behind him caused Phoenix to turn around quickly.

        There before him stood a young man, his long black hair wavering in the breeze.

        ``Can I help you?'' Phoenix asked. ``The store is closed, so we don't have customers, and besides, this place is off-limits. Are you a thief or something?''

        ``I guess you could say that, but there's only one thing I want, and you have it,'' Dominic replied. ``That crystal… give it to me!''

        ``Are you crazy? Go away. My mother is downstairs. I'll yell for help if I have to.''

       A flash of light, and a crystallized sword appeared in Dominic's hand. ``Don't test my patience, boy. Give me the crystal!''

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment