Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Vacation in Venice

My story about the first female LEP commander in history; who by the way is none other than Anna-Maria, the daughter of a previous well-loved commander.

Chapter 1 - Vacation in Venice

Chapter 1 - Vacation in Venice
Artemis inhaled the fresh Italian air. Ah, its good to be in Venice. Isnt it wonderful, Butler?



Butler, Artemis bodyguard stood behind him and grumbled,  Wonderful hardly covers it.



Artemis smiled. Relax, Butler. Were here on vacation, for once.



Artemis, Im your bodyguard. If I relaxed even one muscle, youd end up with a bullet in your back in under five seconds.



The fourteen year-old genius sighed. Point well taken, old friend. Youre right. I suppose my numerous enemies wouldnt forgive me even if I sent each and every one of them a lavish gift basket?



Now it was Butlers turn to smile. No, it isnt very likely that they would.



Very well, then. Since Im here, I might as well enjoy it.



Uh, Artemis, your mother suggested that you make some new friends. Butler reminded him.



And so I shall. Artemis folded his hands behind his head and looked around him. His eyes lit up when they came to a girl sitting on a nearby bench. The hair that framed her face was dark brown; a laptop was balanced on her knees.



That girl over there looks very intelligent.



Butler looked in the same direction as Artemis. She also looks very pretty.



Artemis frowned. I refuse to comment on that statement. Ill go meet her. You stay here; you might frighten her if you come with me.



The nearly seven-foot tall man sighed. His charge was not making his job any easier. All right, Artemis. But Ill be watching you. Be careful, and remember, appearances can be deceiving.



Boy, dont I know it. Artemis approached the girls bench somewhat timidly. She looked to be about thirteen or fourteen. Her height was about the same as Artemis, maybe a little shorter. She had a cleft chin that made her look both sweet and rebellious. Her dark brown hair was very long and complimented her bright green eyes. Artemis felt like he had seen those eyes before. He took a deep breath and spoke in Italian. Scusa (Excuse me).



The girl looked up from the screen of her laptop. Si?



Artemis extended his hand to her. Ciao, mi chiamo Artemis. E tu? (Hello, my name is Artemis. And you?)



The girl took his hand and shook it warmly. Piacere, Artemis. Mi chiamo Anna-Maria. (Nice to meet you, Artemis. My name is Anna-Maria.)



Do you speak English, Anna-Maria?



Certainly. Artemis was surprised. Her Italian had been perfect, but her English carried no hint of a foreign accent.



May I sit down? He asked.



Anna-Maria shifted her things on the bench. Go ahead.



Artemis settled down next to her. Thank you. Are you Italian, Anna-Maria?



Anna-Maria nodded. Yes.



And do you live here, in Venice?



She shook her head. Not exactly. I was born in Venice, though. But you are not Italian. Your Italian is magnificent, but you seem to be Irish. Are you?



Yes, I am Irish. Artemis replied.



Anna-Maria smiled. Are you Artemis Fowl the Second?



He looked at her sharply. Yes. But Ive reformed. I am no longer a criminal, mostly.



Anna-Maria nodded and began to speak in Gnommish. Yes, I know that. You see, I have been waiting for you, Artemis Fowl.



Artemis felt slightly uneasy when she said that, but he kept his tone natural as he too reverted to the fairy language. What do you mean? How did you know I would be here?



Anna-Maria tucked some of her hair behind her right ear. An ear, Artemis noticed, that wasnt entirely humanoid. It was a bit pointy, more of a fairy ear than a human one. It wasnt a bad-looking ear though. And her earring was nice. Dont be frightened. Foaly sent me. I am actually half-fairy.



Artemis was curious. So you have one human parent and one fairy parent?



Again Anna-Maria nodded.



Which parent was which?



My mother was human, my father was a fairy.



What kind? Her father couldnt be a troll, a gnome, or a goblin; she didnt look like one. She seemed intelligent enough to be half-centaur, but again, she didnt look like one. She might have been born with wings or green skin if she was half-sprite. That left only two possibilities: pixie or elf.



Anna-Maria shrugged. I dont know. My mother never knew who my father was, or what he was for that matter. He was most probably an elf, or so Foaly tells me.



Your mother didnt know your father? Then how& Artemis voice trailed off.



Anna-Marias face reddened and she looked down and mumbled. It wasnt exactly done the natural way.



Oh. That was all Artemis could say to such a response. Well, what fairy characteristics, other than your ears, do you have?



My height for one. Im taller than fairies are supposed to be, but Im very short by human standards. And I possess all of the fairy powers. I have the Mesmer, the power to shield, healing, longetivity, the gift of tongues. Im also telekinetic, and I can manipulate images, but thats from my mothers family line. She came from a long line of psychics, although she herself wasnt one. 



That explains a lot. Artemis admitted. How old are you, anyway?



Artemis then noticed that Anna-Maria was looking past him, not at him. He turned to see what she was looking at, and it was&Butler. The tall Eurasian man was pretending to be absorbed in a magazine.



Anna-Maria nodded in his direction. Thats your bodyguard, Butler, isnt it? I was wondering where he was.



How do you know about Butler?



Anna-Maria gave him a quizzical look. Everyone in Haven knows about you and your bodyguard, Artemis Fowl. Butler is the only human in fairy history to have taken on a troll, and a rogue for that matter, and survived. It was really quite an amazing sight.



You know about that, too? Wait, you saw it? Artemis asked.



Yeah, I saw it. I was reassembling an old hard drive for Foaly when it came on screen from Hollys camera.



You know about Holly too? You were reassembling a hard drive? How old were you? Exactly how smart are you?



Anna-Maria rolled her eyes. So many questions! I thought you were supposed to be a genius, Artemis!



Well, I am. Its just that its not everyday that you get to meet a half-fairy. Artemis answered. Oh great, He thought to himself. Now she thinks Im a dullard.



Yeah, well, dont get used to it, The half-fairy girl retorted. Theres not that many of my kind hanging around.



Im sure that you didnt show up here just to tell me all this for no reason. Artemis said, changing the subject.



Youre right. Foaly told me to tell you. He also wants me to bring you to Haven. Butler has to come too.



Why?



Isnt a bodyguard supposed to follow you everywhere you go, except the bathroom?



No! I mean yes, but thats not what I was talking about. Artemis stumbled over his words.



Oh, why do you have to come to Haven? I dont know, Foaly wouldnt tell me. I tried to hack into his files, but theyre on a separate network on his personal laptop, and he always clings to it like a second skin; I would never have been able to get it while he was conscious.



Artemis was a bit surprised at the hacking part but decided not to go into the subject. Fine, Ill call Butler over here. He lifted his hand to his mouth and whispered into the whisper-sensitive mike strapped to his palm. Butler, can you come here please?



The response was immediately heard through Artemis earpiece. Whats up, Artemis? Any signs of danger?



No, Butler. No danger, at least not yet. It looks like well have to make a little trip.



Butler sighed. He had actually been beginning to enjoy himself. What is it this time?



Do you have your binoculars? Artemis asked.



Of course.



Use them. This girl next to me, look at her ears; that should be self-explanatory.



Butler sighed again. Teenagers. He was probably helping Artemis measure the girls ears for an expensive pair of earrings. Still, he lifted the binoculars and looked. He drew in his breath sharply. Ill be right there, Artemis.



Very good. Artemis let his hand drop to his side. Then, to Anna-Maria, he said, Butler will be here- The seven foot tall bodyguard arrived behind his charge in a flash. shortly. Artemis finished.



Anna-Maria cocked her head as she studied Butlers face. She showed none of the fear or apprehension that most fairies and humans exhibited at the sight of him. Finally, she smiled and said (in English, Butler is not very fluent in Gnommish.), So this is the infamous Butler. Its nice to finally meet you in person.



Likewise, except for maybe the finally part. Butler replied. I presume that you are a half-fairy?



Yes, Im a half-fairy. But well talk about that later. Right now, I have to get you two to Haven. Follow me. Anna-Maria stood up and gathered her things into a backpack, one that looked similar to the ones used by the LEP. She slung the bag over her shoulder and began to walk toward an alley. You might want to tell your parents that youre going somewhere.



Right. Artemis took out his cell-phone and pushed the speed-dial button for Artemis Senior and Angeline Fowl.



Hello? Angelines sweet motherly voice answered.



Hello Mother. How are the twins doing?



Oh, hello, Arty. The twins are fine, but they miss you. Are you having a good time?



Yes, Mother. But Im afraid I will take a while in getting back to the hotel. There are a few friends I need to visit.



Well, alright Arty. But if you need to stay overnight, call and let me know.



Yes, Mother. Please give Father my regards.



Of course, Artemis. Have fun. Goodbye.



Goodbye.



Artemis hung up and looked at Butler. If my hearing was correct, which Im sure it was, we were meant to follow Anna-Maria.



Butler nodded and followed his charge as he walked into the alley.


















Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment