Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - When the Sky was Dyed Red

One man loves her... and so does another... One man is fortunate... and the other is saddened... The young princess finds the broken man and tries to heal his heart, and the other is consumed with the emotion of envy... (LinkxZelda)(PG-13)

Chapter 3 - When the Sky was Dyed Red

Chapter 3 - When the Sky was Dyed Red
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 3: When the Sky was Dyed Red

The next morning Link and Patrick were accompanied by Zelda to ride out to the pasture in front of Hyrule Castle where she would rest and have some sunshine and they would have their duel. Zelda was relieved that day to know that Link wouldn't leave but she did not know how much longer he would stay. Her hair flew behind her as she rode on her white stallion and the wind pressed against her face. It was rather refreshing really. Link and Patrick rode on either side of her and when they had reached the pastures outside of the castle the three of them stopped.

"Shall we rest here, Princess?" Patrick said politely.

"Yes," She said, "Let's."

Patrick had dismounted his horse and held out his arms for Zelda to jump into. Link glared and twitched his eyebrow slightly as he saw her in the arms of another man. Patrick escorted her, hand in hand, to the nearby maple tree and sat her down under its vast shade. Zelda spread her silk white gown around her as she sat on her hip, watching Patrick walk over to Link and turn around and bow to Zelda.

"If you excuse us, Princess. Link and I have agreed to the terms of a duel."

"Very well." Zelda sighed, "No blood or bruises... I wish not to see Link bloodied and broken."

Patrick grunted as he went a fair distance away from Link and placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. Link did the same and both were locked in a concentrated stare which was rather intimidating. For a while the two stared, as the wind brushed across their faces and once Zelda had seen a red flower petal waft across the air from the nearby flower patch, Patrick charged relinquishing his silver blade from the sheath just in time to meet Link's sword.

The two metals scraped against each other for a while before Link suddenly thrust his blade forward, but Patrick twirled around, his red cape flying behind him. The swift move only led into another clash, sparks suddenly flying in the air. Patrick threw Link back with his sword, but he managed to catch himself, boots scraping against the ground giving him the proper resistance. As Zelda watched Link charge forward, sword above his head and clash into another battle with Patrick, she began to ask questions... not aloud but in her mind.

Link...? Is this what you truly want? Are you destined to this thing you call the sword? I want to help you... I know you have chosen the final path of your life, but is there a fork in the path that you can take that will lead you back out of it? I...

I don't know why I desire this of you... It seems only I have lust for you...

Zelda's thoughts were interrupted by a loud clash, louder than the others that had occurred in this fight. She opened her eyes from being half-way open and saw that Patrick had hit Link's sword so hard it flew from his hands and twirled in the air, ringing as if crying out. Suddenly it impaled the ground as blades of grass flew upward and drifted back down again. Patrick took the end of his hilt and drove it into Link's chest where then he was knocked against the ground. From there Patrick moved the point of his blade close to Link's neck. The young man was sweating and breathing harshly as he lay on the ground. He eyed Patrick's sword before looking up into his face.

"Not good enough, twerp..." He mumbled, "It seems the king's knights have taught me better then you."

Link glared at him before the both of them were interrupted by a, "Stop!" Zelda had called out, fear in her voice.

Patrick looked toward Zelda and saw her now to her feet. "I said no blood or broken bones."

He lifted his sword from Link and sheathed it before wiping his hands as if touching something dirty, "Why of course, Princess." He said smiling at her.

She ran over to Link and grabbed his arms to help him to his feet, but once he was standing, he brushed Zelda to the side, clenching onto his chest and walking toward his sword. After flinching he drew it from the ground and sheathed it before turning around once again and walking passed Zelda and toward his horse. She stared where his sword once was, still and shocked, before gasping and turning around to find him mounting his chestnut mare and brushing off the dirt on his tunic.

"Princess..."

Zelda turned around once again to find Patrick holding out his hand and smiling at her. She returned his smile and gladly took his hand as he escorted her back to her stallion and assisted in her mounting her horse. After Patrick had mounted his, the three of them took off toward the castle once again. Zelda looked at Link who rode in front of her. Once again, she was locked in a stare, once again observing his muscular features, golden hair, and smooth skin.

When she had returned to the castle, Link was immediately out of her sight but Patrick had escorted her to her room and kissed her hand.

"Here you are, Princess."

"Thank you, Patri-"

She was interrupted by him kissing her on the cheek. She blushed before he had bowed and walked off, steps fading as they echoed through the stone hallways. Zelda lifted her hand to her cheek and stroked it. For some reason she thought of Link at that moment, which she thought ironic. She entered her room and closed the door behind her, resting her back against the door and sighing before going to the window with red velvet curtains.

Her hand drifted toward her pocket and from it she drew the small book and as she turned toward the outside world, separated from her by glass, she began to daydream once again. Now that only Link barely itched in now, and Zelda's dazes less of a fantasy and more toward reality.

~~~

Later in the evening, Zelda had grown tired of moping around in the castle, enveloped in shadow and remaining in such a dreary ambiance that she decided to go to the towns for a walk where she would be surrounded by lively people. She had informed her servants of her intents and had refused Patrick go along with her, she wanted to be alone in the crowds. Zelda needed time to herself to think.

She had gone into the dress of a common maiden so that her attire may blend in with the crowds' and attention would not be drawn to her as much. As she was bumped around in the carriage she began thinking of Link once again, looking toward the sun that was nearly to the point where it would touch the mountains afar. The carriage went to a stop and the sound of talking and merriment filled Zelda's ears. The door to the carriage was opened for her and she stepped out to the cobble stone streets. She inhaled the air around her and began to walk forward.

Zelda eyed a few of the goods that were being sold, but had no interest in them while other maidens flooded the stands. There were men skipping around arms linked and singing merry songs and there were mothers pushing along their children through the streets to get their grocery shopping over with. All these people had unfamiliar faces to Zelda, however. She straitened her shawl and as she entered the heart of the town she stopped herself when she saw who was in front of the fountain. He stood out like a red rose among daisies... his face so familiar it seemed to glow... Link.

"Link..." She breathed.

Zelda jogged toward him and he turned his head in surprise to find the princess walking amongst common people. He had found it odd that he would meet her in a place like this. Their reflection was in the water of the fountain as Zelda went before Link.

"Why are you here?" She said.

"Why are you here?" He repeated.

"I... I only wanted some fresh air."

Link let out a "humph" and turned around and continued to walk. Zelda called for him and chased after him. He had led her to a place of the town where the crowds were less intense and there was a wooden bridge leading from one place to another, a gap in between. From this bridge one could see the sunset and river sparkling with red light. Zelda was reluctant to talk to Link as she walked with him, but when they had reached this place, she let her tongue loose.

"Link... do you really have to keep holding onto the sword no matter what? Can't you let it go?"

When Link had stopped, Zelda went to a halt as well. She had expected him to turn around but he did not, only stare at the red sky. He replied to her, however, and gave her an answer.

"Back then... the sky was dyed this color." As Link spoke and image flashed through his mind.

He was the fifteen year-old boy, standing on a pasture outside of Hyrule Castle, holding onto a satchel as if going to travel. There was a figure who had given him a sword under the red sky. He held the heavy blade with two hands, still in its sheath.

"Now that you have chosen this path, you can't go away from it. You can't run from it."

He stared at the blade, the boy now becoming a man. He looked up and recalled the figure saying those exact words to him.

"Patrick told me that."

"Patrick...?" Zelda repeated.

"I chose this path for my sister... and to try to forget all the deaths that happened... but it has failed." Link said as he turned his body slightly and clenched the sheath of his sword at his waist, "After six years I still don't know what to do... so as long as this remains I have no choice but to do what Patrick told me and hold on to this sword... and find justice."

Zelda's eyes saddened as the sun sparkled in her blue eyes. The wind blew her wavy bangs across her chin as she saw Link look back at her. He turned around toward her and looked toward her.

"Princess..."

Zelda closed her eyes for a short while, and then decided to change the subject. She opened her eyes and smiled slightly at Link and drew closer to him.

"Link..." She started, "I'm growing rather tired of the title, 'Princess', please... call me Zelda."

Link smiled slightly at her, trying to hide his feelings and nodded, "As you wish..." He said, "Zelda..."

Zelda grabbed his hand and his eyes widened at her action. She began to walk and he, along with her. Together they departed from the bridge and into the towns once more, now growing empty because of the night that was coming to cover the sky with its blanket of blackness.

"Come, Link." She said, "It's getting late... let's return home."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment