Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Love or Lust?

One man loves her... and so does another... One man is fortunate... and the other is saddened... The young princess finds the broken man and tries to heal his heart, and the other is consumed with the emotion of envy... (LinkxZelda)(PG-13)

Chapter 6 - Love or Lust?

Chapter 6 - Love or Lust?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 6: Love or Lust?





Zelda sat in her room writing something down on a piece of paper. Morning had passed, and surprisingly she had not seen Link as much. The only time when she saw him was at the dining table at breakfast and lunch, but he was awkwardly quiet. Zelda began to think of him again when she was interrupted when she heard a knock on the door.



"Come in." She acknowledged.



Her door opened with a moan and her servant came in with two dresses in hand. Both were very festive and indeed fit for royalty. Zelda turned around and saw the servant carrying the dresses as she held one in each hand and brought both of them forward.



"For the ball tonight, your highness..." The servant said, "Would you please select one dress so that we may get it ready?"



Zelda hadn't realized the time of the ball had come so quickly. She smiled slightly at the thought and began to examine the two dresses. The first was a deep and beautiful navy blue, the neck line traced with silver as well as the ends of the sleeves, which separated from another part of the fabric that would trace down to the floor, breaking from the shoulders. However, Zelda turned her gaze to the other and began to observe it. It was a crimson dress, with gold lining the edges of the dress, where the fabric ended. Gold lace would intertwine the front of the dress when worn while one pair of sleeves would go around the wrists while the second, overlapping the first, would drape down at her sides at the ends. Zelda's eyes widened at the sight of it... for a flashback had entered her mind.



It was exactly a year ago to that day, the night of Hyrule's Anniversary ball and she stood outside of all the liveliness occurring behind her, standing in her crimson dress. He had left once again on one of his treks and had not returned. She continued to watch in the darkness as if hoping he would come. Suddenly, as if by magic, there he was, slowly traipsing toward her with fatigue in his body and eyes. She let out a slight gasp and breathed...



"Link..."



"Pardon me, your highness?"



"Oh, sorry." Zelda said shaking her head, "That one, please."



Zelda had gestured toward the crimson dress and the servant bowed and placed it over the navy blue and left the room, closing the door behind her. Zelda sighed to herself and sat herself next to the window on her bed and incited on an empty gaze out the window. She would do that often while Link was gone, but had not grown out of the habit once he returned temporarily.



~~~



Zelda would dine at the ball, with her guests. How many people did she invite? Not many, Zelda recalled, most of the people that were coming were nobleman and old friends her father had invited. She sighed as she saw herself in front of the mirror in her crimson dress. The servants had finished the last touches on her dress and hair and by now had left the room. Zelda patted the bun on the back of her head and ran her fingers through the locks on the sides of her face. As she straitened her dress another knock was heard on her door. Zelda went herself to open it, and when she did, there was Patrick standing there. He gasped at her beauty and flushed red before bowing in acknowledgment. When he lifted his head he held his hand out to Zelda.



"The guests are starting to arrive now, Princess... allow me to escort you to the stairs."



"Thank you, Patrick." Zelda said taking his arm.



He was wearing rather fine attire as well, fit for a nobleman or perhaps a prince. The green garb he was wearing brought out his eyes brilliantly and the gold lined on it brought the shining brown color of his hair. Zelda darted her eyes back down the hallway when she heard the music and talking of the guests. Eventually they had come to the stairs on the upper level leading down to the great hall of pure marble flooring, with the seal of Hyrule engraved upon it. Red curtains were draped over the stained glass windows that covered the night and the ceiling reached high, with paintings above telling the creation of Hyrule.



From where Zelda was standing it was rather dark compared to the brightly lit room below with the glowing light coming from the enormous chandeliers. Patrick let go of her hand and glanced at her before proceeding downstairs.



"When I reach the bottom, follow me after, Princess, in your usual graceful manner."



It was this same routine she had rehearsed ever since she was a young girl at these balls. To formally come down and greet the people as they clapped for her. For some reason Zelda did not enjoy the people welcoming her though she had been exposed to it all her life. She saw Patrick reach the bottom of the stairs and look up at Zelda, as if signaling for her to come down. She took the railing and began to move her feet, walking forward into the light.



As she was unveiled from what was considered shadows to this room, the people clapped for her as usual. Zelda eyed the room nervously, looking for Link. She did not see him at first and she continued to go down the stairs in her princess-manner. However, when she was halfway, there he was, sticking out as a soar thumb. She nearly stopped when she saw him staring at her as well. The crowds applause had faded from her ears and it seemed silence had filled the room when she fixed her gaze upon Link.



His mouth was slightly gaped open at her, and she the same to him. He wore a deep red tunic with the structure much like his other ones but more formal and fit for events such as these. His blue eyes contrasted what he was wearing while his golden bangs matched the golden designs on his tunic. A scarlet cape was draped over his shoulders, making him look almost as royal as she, but he was no more than a servant... a servant to the sword.



Before she knew it, Zelda had reached the bottom of the stairs and her hand met Patrick's once again. All the guests, which were many, had gathered to the tables set. Zelda saw her elderly father at the end of the table and was sat to his right. Patrick sat next to Zelda, but all the while her attention was focused on finding Link. When she had found him, he had sat far away from her and she would have to look at an angle to her left to see him. He did not eye her, save one glance, but it was quick before he turned to downcast. Zelda's looked at him once again before she was interrupted by her father's voice and that she had noticed the rest of the crowd had died down in its vast talking. The king stood up and spoke so all could hear.



"My people! This is a day where we remember the dark days of war of the land of Hyrule ended and this land became unified..."



Zelda's father's voice trailed off as she began to be distracted by Link once again, who was the only one besides herself not looking up toward her father. She studied his eyes but was interrupted by the sudden clash between fork and china plates. She shook her head as the servants placed the first course before her. She did not eat as much for such a large event. Eventually, Patrick would start a conversation between himself, the king, and Zelda but that wasn't enough to get Link out of her mind.



After the dining was over, Zelda became lost in the crowds of many dancing couples. She could hear the violinist playing cords along with the harpist as well as other orchestral instruments. As Zelda went through the crowds, many men wanted to kiss her hand. She would allow them, but she would quickly move on. Zelda stopped herself for a second and when she turned around, she had bumped into someone.



"Oh, pardon me, sir-"



When Zelda looked up into the face of who she had bumped into, she saw the eyes of Link and flushed red. He stared down at her, and she stared up at him.



"L-Link...!!" She gasped.



Link paused for a long while and where the silence was filled in with the talking and music around them. He quietly spoke after backing up and holding out his hand. A new song had just begun, perfect timing for them.



"May I take the honor of this dance?" He said to her.



Zelda glanced down at his hand then back up to his face and lifted her hand until it met his and both of their hands drifted to the sides as Link's other hand stroked down to her waist and she clinging to his shoulder. Zelda eventually found herself in the embrace of Link's warm hands and she drifted side to side along with him. As they progressed in their dance, Zelda began to watch her feet less and lifted her gaze into Link's azure eyes, and began to get lost in its void.



Suddenly the kiss came back to her mind. The feeling of his soft lips pressing against hers and the gentle stroke of his soft fingers lingering on her cheek. Butterflies flew around in her stomach as she stepped along with Link and allowed him to twirl her around. So many words could have been spoken at that time, but neither let a sound pass their lips. As the last chord of the song was played, Zelda found herself against Link, the side of her face resting on his chest. Zelda could hear his heart pounding as his body warmed hers.



Zelda parted from him and for a while they stared into one another's eyes before interrupted by footsteps distinctly coming toward them. Zelda turned her head toward the sound and found Patrick there and she may have been imagining it, but she thought she saw a slight fire of jealousy in his eyes. However, that was soon gone when Patrick smiled and bowed to the princess.



"Lovely ball isn't it, Princess?"



"Yes, it is."



Link almost narrowed his eyes at Patrick when he heard the next song begin and take Zelda's hand for a dance. She had accepted, but looked back at Link as Patrick took her away from him. Link turned around quickly, cape flying behind him and he began to find his way through the crowds. As Zelda danced with Patrick, they talked with each other unlike the dance before when Link and Zelda appeared to astonished to exchange words with each other.



"You have your eyes out for that Link, don't you, Princess?" Patrick asked.



"Oh?" Zelda widened her eyes and shook her head, "Oh, no... He's just a companion to me... a friend."



"Now, now, Princess... surely he must be more than that to you." Patrick started, "You gave your lips to him, did you not?"



Zelda reddened, "Y-you saw us...?" She stuttered only to see Patrick nod in response.



Meanwhile, Link watched both of them dancing with each other as his face began to become twisted with envy. He could see Patrick say something and then he had pressed his lips upon Zelda's. Quickly Link turned away and stared off into the darkness of the night as he stood outside the liveliness where he and Zelda had met exactly a year ago. It was sooner or later when he realized his thoughts for Patrick had been of hatred and he had stopped himself with a gasp. His feelings toward Zelda... was it love... or lust?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Riverwind on August 5, 2005, 11:47:59 AM

Riverwind on
Riverwindahhh I love it! Please continue!