Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - Forever

One man loves her... and so does another... One man is fortunate... and the other is saddened... The young princess finds the broken man and tries to heal his heart, and the other is consumed with the emotion of envy... (LinkxZelda)(PG-13)

Chapter 9 - Forever

Chapter 9 - Forever
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 9: Forever

Zelda's thoughts did not alter throughout the rest of the day, and her body was restless when night came, causing her to be sleepless. She had gone to see Link once again in the gardens before, but he was no longer there. Once again, she found herself sitting in her room, once again looking out the window clenching onto her small pocket book. Zelda anxiously stared out the window hoping she would see someone walking toward the castle under the faceless and dark moon. Then, as if by magic, there he was, coming from the left side of her window view.

Zelda gasped and ran to the hallway which led to the courtyards, expecting to find him- Link. Her slippers fell off her feet without her noticing them, she was so desperate to see him once again and tell him at last how she felt. Her golden hair flew excitedly behind her and her white nightgown whipping in the air while her bare feet padded against the ground as she trotted. She had at last reached the hallway to find Link's shadow, before his figure would hit the light of the torch. Zelda's heart skipped a beat with excitement when she saw him and a slight smile ran across her face- a smile of relief.

"Welcome back-" She stopped herself suddenly as her wavy, uncombed hair flew in front of her.

She gasped in horror, as her eyes widened with fear and Zelda backed away. Her hand flew over her mouth as her eyebrows twitched with fear. Confusion clouded her mind once she had set her eyes on the man. Link had taken a step forward, when she had stopped, going under the torch's red firelight fire light. Blood ran down his forehead and down his chin while a little dripped from the tips of his fingers. A trail of red blood was left behind him as a result of it running down his legs as well. Link's clothes were partially torn with horrible wounds revealed underneath. His eyes were dull and wounded when he finally looked up at Zelda, and looking upon the frightened maid.

"L-Link...!" She gasped, which were the only words she managed to say.

Zelda had immediately taken him up to treat his wounds. Her hands covered in ointment, stroked his scarred back, tears nearly filling her eyes. She had wiped off all the blood, using many different cloths to do so. She remained speechless as she put on the last bandage and at last the tears overflowed and she leaned her forehead on his back. Link looked back at her and silently said,

"Zelda..."

She was crying for him... at last. Once she had lifted her head from him, Link stood up and put on the top portion of his tunic and took up his sheath and shield.

"Have you eaten anything?" Zelda said to him, as if to comfort herself.

Link didn't reply to her, and didn't even look back at her before he left the room. Zelda gathered up the medical supplies and placed them on a nearby surface and let her hands fall on her dresser. She stood still a while before she covered her face with her hands.

"No... I can't as him what happened," She said with her words muffled, "but I've never seen him look as pitiful as that..."

The next evening, Zelda sat across the dining table from Link, who had a full plate of food in front of him but wouldn't take up the fork to eat. Zelda ate slowly, keeping her gaze on Link. There was dead silence between the two, and Zelda squirmed in her seat, and became restless and uncomfortable.

"Link... please eat... even if it's just one bite..." Zelda said when she broke the silence. There was a pause for a while, "Please?"

As if forcing himself to, Link took up his fork and ate a little bit of the cold dinner before him that was left untouched until that moment. Zelda had finished her last bite as Link took only a small sip from his chalice and placed it back on the table again. Once again, his hands retreated to his lap, but they did not stay there for long. Link had stood up from the table and looked at Zelda with his hard gaze, startling her a bit.

"Zelda..." He said before turning around, "Come with me."

Zelda paused for a moment before she stood up as well and quickly caught up behind Link. They left the dining room and the dining table covered with the crimson cloth, with red roses in the center. The candles had finally blown out on their own as if they were afraid of the burning fire place, as its embers flew from the leaping flames as the wood crackled and snapped. Zelda looked back at the room once more before following Link once again.

Zelda did not bother to ask Link where he was taking her, but she went along anyway. He had first taken her to the stables where the horses patiently waited in their stalls. There he had taken his fair mare, Epona, and brought her out to where Zelda was waiting. He did not even bother to put a saddle on her, he only held his hand out so Zelda could take hold of it and he had mounted her on the chestnut mare. Zelda found herself tightly clenching onto the white mane of the horse and her heart began to patter as Link mounted behind her and wrapped his arm around Zelda's waist, making sure she would not fall off.

Sooner or later, she felt a slight wind against her face and her hair tossing up and down. They rode off the castle grounds and onto the cobble stone streets of the town. People passing them eyed them and the tall and strong mare. The talking of the crowds was vast and chaotic. However, Link seemed to be heading to a more quiet part of town, he had headed to the back alleys and there he had dismounted and helped Zelda off as well. There he tied Epona's reins to a post and continued down the alley. More and more thoughts of Link clouded Zelda's mind... it confused her that every second she would be thinking of him and yet, she would never tire of him.

Eventually they were in sight of a river, and a small bridge going over it. They had been there recently, but this was also the place where the two had first met as children. The two never really saw each other in the castle before that moment, however this was the place where they first saw each other eye to eye... and spoke to each other face to face... Link looked out toward the river and placed his hands on top of the side of the bridge that kept him from falling over. Zelda stood a ways away from him, but still watched.

"Link... what do you want to tell me?" Zelda said, breaking the silence.

Link stared for a while longer, listening to the soothing running water of the river and looked down toward it, watching a fish jump from the river and splashing down to the water once again.

"Zelda... I just wanted to thank you for what you've done for me..." Link started, "And I'm sorry for earlier... it was most uncalled for to treat you that way... especially since you are of royal blood."

Zelda went beside Link and began to look at the river as well. She had seen a bird now take the fish in its talons and fly off, feathers flying from it and drifting toward the water where the fish had been. Zelda looked toward Link, who still faced the same direction as before.

"Link..."

"Zelda... I'm leaving tomorrow..." He said, "And I won't come back- you'll never see me again..."

Zelda looked at his hands then looked at hers. Her heart pounded with longing, and she began to wish for things to be different. Two words crossed her mind. Two lying words that are an empty hope of a thing that would never come true, when something had already taken its course... "what if?"

"I see... I won't stop you, but Link..." She managed to say, "I won't take my eyes off of you and your battle... ever... I know the wounds in your heart have become scars that would never heal, but I want you to be happy... I know I can't change the way you are, or who you are, but know this: If you do come back... I will always welcome you with open arms, and you'll be home again." She looked toward him, "That is my promise."

Link's mouth gaped open and he turned his head toward her to find her sweet smile, but sadness behind her eyes. Could she be saying to him, "I love you"? Link closed his eyes as his lips only twitched into a smile. He took her into his hands, and now they stood hand in hand on the bridge, as he lifted his eyes toward her. He lifted his hand to her pale, soft cheek and stroked it with the tips of his fingers. Zelda lifted her hand to his that touched her cheek and stroked it. He had amazingly soft skin, it was so soft it could only challenge the fairness of hers. Suddenly, his deep, soothing voice filled her ears.

"I've been so confused all this time, Zelda, and there are still no more answers." He said, "But I wish for you to be happy as well, Zelda... and if this makes you happy, I will stay, even if it costs my life." He said drawing closer to her, "Stay forever..."

Zelda was confused at the conditions of Link staying with her, but those thoughts vanished when he drew closer and closer. Suddenly the air vanished between their lips as Link reverently kissed Zelda's lips. The leather texture of Link's lips made Zelda's heart flutter. She felt his hands move to her back and pull her in as close as possible, as if to protect her from danger. This kiss was much different than the last, this one was more honest and compassionate and Zelda's body felt she could stand there, under the setting sun with Link forever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Riverwind on August 23, 2005, 7:51:30 AM

Riverwind on
Riverwind*cries so hard making it hard to type*
That was soo *sobs* sad wahhh *yells: LINK DON'T LEAVE ZELDA (mutters: and me)!* I want to read more of what happens.

FlameMaster on August 21, 2005, 3:25:39 AM

FlameMaster on
FlameMaster(Wipes Tear off face)
That was absolutely beautiful, I hope to see more of this stry very soon.