Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 12 - The Truth

One man loves her... and so does another... One man is fortunate... and the other is saddened... The young princess finds the broken man and tries to heal his heart, and the other is consumed with the emotion of envy... (LinkxZelda)(PG-13)

Chapter 12 - The Truth

Chapter 12 - The Truth


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 10: The Truth





Zelda was once again reading her fairy tale when she had heard the doorknobs on the library doors turn and moved her head to that particular direction to see the doors opening. She placed a ribbon on the page she was currently reading, closed the book, and stuffed it in her pocket. Her servant appeared in front of the library door and bowed slightly to Zelda.



"Your father wishes to see you, milady."



"I'll be there in a moment."



Zelda arose from her chair and brushed the wrinkles out of her silk dress before following the servant out of the library. The day was sunny, and much sunlight leaked through the windows, revealing floating dust flying through the air as the princess walked down the hallways. The servant had led her to the throne room and gave her an excited smile which Zelda found rather odd. As the servant stepped aside and opened the doors for Zelda, there was the sight of her father sitting upon his throne, surrounded by tall marble pillars and a red carpet leading to where the king sat. Zelda stepped forward as she heard the doors close behind her and now could only hear the sound of her own footsteps thumping against the ground. She at last was before her father and she bowed slightly to him, out of respect.



"You called for me, father?"



"Yes... Zelda, I need to inform you of something."



Zelda looked up from the ground and faced her father. A hint of guilt was in his voice that confused her somewhat and she listened intently.



"I should have told you this so long ago, but I was afraid to let you go... I'm selfish, you might say." The king started, "However, hearing of your heartbreak of Link has grieved me. So I-"



"Father," Zelda interrupted, "It is sorted out. Everything is fine now-"



"I care not. He has done this to you more than once." Her father suddenly interrupted, he sighed after a moment of silence and continued on, "You must never see that man again."



Zelda's eyes widened with disbelief. She returned his reply with begging words, "But... he's chosen to stay here... Link isn't going to leave anymore!"



"Zelda, I understand your feelings for him, but if you stay with him, he will surely return to his old ways, and eventually stray off forever." He continued, "That is why I need to tell you that you are going to be wed to Sir Patrick, and set off with him to his father's castle."



Tears filled Zelda's eyes and she ran toward her father and knelt at his feet, taking his large hand in hers and looking up at him, begging.



"Oh, please, father, I wish not to never gaze upon Link again! I love him! I love him!!" Zelda screamed.



"This cannot be avoided, you were betrothed to Patrick since you were fourteen years of age... and to love another is dishonorable."



"No, Father!!!" Zelda shook his hand restlessly.



However, the king threw Zelda back from him, "Enough!" He shouted, breaking the noise and releasing another cursed silence, only filled with slight sobs from Zelda as she lay on the ground covering her face with her hands as her blond hair flew over her shoulders. The king stood to his feet and gently set a hand on her side and lifted her chin toward his face. Zelda's eyes were swollen red with grief as wavy locks of hair drifted in front of her face and her mouth slightly opened with her red lips parted.



"I want you to live a happy life, my daughter." Her father said, "You are a lucky princess, be grateful. I believe you will be happier with Patrick and not with Link, who will come and go."



Zelda closed her lips and furrowed her eyebrows before abruptly getting up, stumbling, and stomping out of the throne room without giving a second glance to her father. She slammed the doors behind her and deeply breathed. Eventually tears once again filled Zelda's eyes and she blinked before falling back to the door and resting the back of her head on it. Link came to her mind and did not leave. The thought of finally going to Link and saying good-bye pained her so, but she knew that moment had to come. Zelda forced herself to take a step forward, and she went to go to the courtyards... to see Link.



When she had at last reached the point where the courtyards were in sight, she saw him from a distance right where she expected him to be. Link looked up at the sun veiled by the leaves of the tree he sat under as his bangs where brushed back to the sides of his face. His blue eyes twinkled as the branches in the tree swayed from the sighing wind. Rose petals began to fly in the air as the wind blew slightly harder to the point where it seemed almost threatening. Zelda raised her voice and called for him.



"Lin-"



She was suddenly stopped by a hand suddenly covering her mouth and pulling her back. Zelda gasped with sudden fear and fell backward from whoever pulled her backward and her vision blackened as she saw the rose petals flying above her, and she fell unconscious from sudden shock. He was too far... no one could help...



Zelda suddenly felt herself squirm as she laid on her side and started to return to her senses. She lay on something uncomfortably hard, and a pain shot through her shoulder when she moved and an unpleasant itch was surrounding her wrists, keeping her from using her hands. At last Zelda opened her eyes and for a moment, there wasn't even a difference, it was so dark, however, her eyes adjusted and she turned quickly toward where she had noticed a flickering light. Zelda, now managing to be sitting up, noticed a dark figure behind the flickering light, which were a small candle flames burning in the darkness. She furrowed her eyebrows.



"Who are you? I demand you let me go!"



"No need to worry, Princess, you shouldn't fear me, and after all..." He turned his head toward her, face being revealed in the small lights, "you and I will be wed soon..."



Zelda widened her eyes, "Patrick?!" She gasped, "What are you doing here? Why did you take me away? Where is Link?!"



"So many questions..." Patrick sighed before standing to his feet and slowly traipsed toward Zelda, "You and I, I'm sure the king already informed you, were already engaged to each other when we were fourteen years of age. I was promised to you before I had come to your castle to learn swordsmanship. However, Link was in the way, and took advantage of you... when I should have had you..."



"But why did you kidnap me, when you already are bound to be with me?" Zelda said trying to break free from the ropes at her wrist.



Patrick chuckled, "Try to break free all you want, it won't work," he started, "You will be freed from them as soon as Link receives his punishment..."



"Punishment?" Zelda asked curiously, not taking a liking to the sound of the word when she noticed Patrick's voice had grown darker.



"Of course now is his last chance to turn around and run away even though I have given him the path of the sword to stay away forever, however..." Patrick sneered, "If he comes for you, it's obvious that he still wants you... it is dishonorable to take a woman who is already bound, so I will punish him with death and take you away to be my bride."



Patrick chuckled with delight at the thought of his glorious triumph and Zelda stared with disgust at him, as she grimaced at his intentions, but at the same time overcome with fear knowing that Patrick had battled with Link before, and won.



"How dare you, Patrick..." Zelda said coldly.



Patrick's chuckles had stopped and he turned his head toward Zelda, piercing her with his green eyes, "Ah, yes... I think you should know this before we marry... but... I am not Sir Patrick, son of Lord Edward."



"What?" Zelda gasped.



"The real Patrick, died six years ago... when I first came to reside in your castle." Patrick said, "Look around you."



Zelda did as he had told her and found herself in an empty hall, much like the one back home, except seeming much smaller and less elaborate. The windows were broken and the transparent curtains blew inward, trying to grasp whomever came near to them. The moon was cold, pale, and restless as it poured its ominous light through the cracked windows and onto the hard floor. The wind blew and gave an uncomfortable howl, shaping the curtains to be what they were.



"This is the castle where Lord Edward resided with his son, Patrick." He started, "I saw you once, and fell in love immediately. When I learned that Patrick was to go to the castle to learn swordsmanship, I took advantage and slew them all... the servants, the lord, and yes... even Patrick. I came and told the king that Lord Edward desired that I marry you, and he fell for it, the old fool, but he took longer than I expected to give the news to you. But now the time is come! Once I kill Link and we are wed, I will kill your father, so we can rule Hyrule! And I trust you won't say anything... because if you do, I will take you away to a far away land where you cannot be reached by anyone but me."



"Who are you... really?" Zelda asked.



"I am the Assassin Lord... the greatest killer to ever roam Hyrule. You should feel honored, Princess Zelda, you are going to marry one of the most famous men to ever live in this kingdom. Like Link, I too am bound to the sword... but in a different way."



Zelda had gotten a sickening feeling in her stomach as she saw the impostor Patrick turn around chuckling to himself and returning to the candle flames. He looked up out one of the windows and to the night sky.



"It's almost the time before dawn... if he chooses to come, Link will be here soon..."



In her heart, Zelda didn't want Link to come, but on the other hand, she did so he could save her from this madman. Hopelessness and restlessness filled Zelda's heart as she watched Patrick casually sit against the chair where the lord must have sat all those years before. She closed her eyes and prayed that someone would help her...



Meanwhile, Link sat in his room looking out the window and to the same sheet of darkness that covered where Zelda resided. He held a small paper in his hand, clenching it to the point where it had so many wrinkles and creases in it.



"It's almost time to leave..." He told himself, before glancing at the paper, which written on it was a note, which read:



If you do care much for Zelda, then come to the castle of Lord Edward to see her again. I expect you carry your sword with you.



-Sir Patrick



Link's sword was at his side as he anticipated the time to leave. He narrowed his eyes with disgust, knowing that he was correct about his suspicion of Patrick's true black heart all these years. Now he was paying the price of it with Zelda being in danger.



"Is it destiny for me to rescue her?"



Link paused for a moment in reflection. As he stroked the sheath of the sword next to him, his sister came to mind... She was the only one to help him through the pain of the loss of his mother with her smile... After she was gone, there was no one... Suddenly a familiar voice came to his mind.



"I won't take my eyes off of you and your battle... ever... I know the wounds in your heart have become scars that would never heal, but I want you to be happy... I know I can't change the way you are, or who you are, but know this: If you do come back... I will always welcome you with open arms, and you'll be home again... That is my promise."



No one... Link thought... was a lie... There was someone for him... there always was. He looked down at his fist and clenched it tightly, thinking how much of a fool he was to not realize something that was on the surface this whole time. Zelda did love him... and he loved her. Slowly the clouded confusion in his mind vanished and Link rose to his feet and took his sword in hand. He turned toward the outside world, confidence now in his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Riverwind on August 25, 2005, 4:22:30 AM

Riverwind on
RiverwindGO LINK GO! KILL THAT ASSASSIN WHUP HIS @$$! Hehehe this is the dramtic part of the story ohh Iget a tingle up my spine good job!