Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Untitled

This is the result of a class assignment. We were reading The Canterbury Tales and were assigned to write a prologue resembling it's prologue. See if you can guess who the characters are.

Chapter 1 - Untitled

Chapter 1 - Untitled
AJourney Across Time
Prologue
By Ash 
            Over theyears, I began a journey. Wandering place to place, going here and there. “I amwho I am and I will not change!” I tell myself as I go about my way. Wonderingwhom I will meet along the way. Will I meet a super hero, a mother, or astarving child who needs my help? As I go I wonder these things, over and overthey go through my head.
            One day Imet a man, who like I was a wanderer, going place to place. He was a samuraiwho had vowed not to kill. “I have killed too much in my past and I do not wishto do it again, that I don’t,” he would tell me as we went. He was quite oddbut I followed him for many days. “Killing is wrong, I wish to protect,” hewould preach. A cross-shaped scar graced his left cheek. I asked how he hadgotten it, but of that he would not speak. Along the way if someone were inneed he would help and fight with God like speed. His long red hair swaying inthe wind was all that could be seen. I could tell a fire burned within. A strongurge to kill again. But he did not even once break his vow. As we came to aplace with a well, we departed. We promised to meet again along the road oflife, wandering from place to place.
            As I wentall alone I began to wander whom I would meet next. Then, before I knew it, Istumbled upon a battle with swords and claws. The feuding brothers did not evennotice me wander by. “I will get your sword my dear brother,” the older said“Only when you pry it from my cold dead hands,” said the other. As the battlesubsided, the exhausted brothers lay to rest placing their swords across theirchests. Over and over their breathing could be heard. I could tell they did notwish to be disturbed. But as I began again along my way, one said to me, “Youthere, who do you believe is stronger I know you saw our battle.” I stoodastonished then replied, “I do not wish to be involved. I saw but only part ofyour battle and I am sure that is not enough to say who is the stronger.”
            The olderbrother looked young and wise. Long, flowing hair of silver only accentuatedhis eyes. His golden eyes shown bright as the sun and followed every movementthat was done. The younger brother appeared to be a teen. Laying in a slump hislong white hair was all that could be seen. I noticed he was injured so I wentto his side. Then I noticed them; he had small white ears upon his head. “Whatare you doing? I do not need your help!” he said with surprise. I could tell hewas proud and strong and wanted to be left alone. I fixed his wound even withhis protesting. The older brother just sat against a tree and smirked throughthe whole process. Then, when it was his turn he stayed calm but did not wanthelp either. I left the brothers bandaged and sleeping.
            Alone againI went along the way, and then noticed a spirit over my shoulder. “Who are you,spirit, following me round and round?” I asked in a calm, cool voice. “I am aguide for spirits who have departed your world.” Said the spirit sweetly. “Thenwhy are you here I am not dead? You are not a bad omen are you spirit?” I beganto worry that what I had said was true. The spirit was here to see me throughmy death. “You are not going to die I just wish to be by your side. I have beenwatching you from above and I have come to love what you are doing. With myhelp and a little faith you could protect this world from disgrace.” What isshe saying, have I not been praying? Was the end near?  Do I have anything to fear? “I am a spiritthat guides others over the river of life. On the other side these spirits livein peace. But evil threatens this wonderful place, I need your help to save theafterlife.” She interrupted my thoughts. “What if I refuse?”
            Onlysilence followed. Then, before my eyes appeared a girl with blue hair. She waswearing a pink kimono and held a wooden oar. “I will find another willing tohelp.” Again and again I wondered if I could really help her. “What do I needto do? If I can I will help you.” The girl thought for a bit then without anotice she grabbed my hand and mounted her oar pulling me along the way.“Follow me to spirit world and I will let you know.” I followed this cheerful,bubbly girl to the other side of the river of life, to a place that was warmand bright. Here I learned what needed to be done and with that I was takenhome.
            I beganalong the road again, not knowing where I would end up. Then, before my eyesappeared the samurai. “Hello there my friend of old. How nice to meet you, thatit is.” Again with my friend I walked along the road with no care to where wewere going. That’s when I heard the flowing of a river. ‘How long has it beensince this journey began?’ “What is troubling you my friend? Have I caused youpain?” “No, I am fine.” Walking along the way I remember what I had said theday I started on this journey. ‘I am who I am and I will not change’. But Ihave in so many ways; I am stronger and better aware of the things in life thatmean the most. Then the brothers crossed my mind. Had they grown to be kind toothers, or are they still feuding at that place near the well. I figured onlytime would tell.
            I stayedwith the samurai for many months. We wandered here and there talking about thethings in life that needed to be done. “Life is too short to waste it on theones who don’t want your help, that it is.” The samurai would say. He taught methe art of swordsmanship and made me promise to only use it to protect. “Asword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words youuse to speak of it, this is it’s true nature. What I have been told are thewords of one who has never dirtied their hands. An idealistic joke, but I likethese idealistic words better than it’s true nature. If one could ask so much,I want the world to accept this joke as it’s true nature.” The samurai madesure I understood this and I promised to accept the idealistic words. “Killingis wrong, that it is.” I agreed and we parted ways once more. The spirit, thefeuding brothers, and most of all the samurai will always have a place in mymind and in my heart.
            Wanderingaround again with my gift at my side, I will always remember those that I hadmet along the road. Before he left me the samurai had left me with a reversedblade sword and had said, “I taught you Hiten Mitsurugi and you have learned itwell. Without the reverse blade, it is slaughter with deadly swiftness. Usewhat I have taught you only for good. I do not wish to destroy my apprentice,that I do not.” I will always keep that in my mind and only use my sword forgood. I hope to save the world someday. Then, it came, a familiar voice, “Whatis bothering you my friend?” Without looking to see whom it was I answered,“Nothing I am fine. I was just thinking about this journey across time.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Inu-twin_Serenity on January 26, 2005, 7:37:03 AM

Inu-twin_Serenity on
Inu-twin_SerenityThank you so much!!! ^_^

Nami on January 15, 2005, 12:51:11 PM

Nami on
NamiI can't believe no one commented on this! IT's awesome!! *adds2faves*