Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Day I Forgot To Look Around The Corner

A small story/book I'm writing in my spare time.

Chapter 1 - The Day I Forgot To Look Around The Corner

Chapter 1 - The Day I Forgot To Look Around The Corner
First period was passing ever so slowly. I loved every second of it. This new ‘Blaze’ girl was rubbing my hand against her neck, and I didn’t dare pull away. Well, I guess she wasn’t ‘new’, but to me she was, because I had never seen her in my life.

At the end of class, I walked out slowly, and Matt questioned me, of course. “Who the heck was that, man? You get yourself a girlfriend that’s just coming in to this school?” “What?” “Your Girlfriend is the new kid?” I knew I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know who she was! I ignored his questions, and the constant, ‘Hey!’ and ‘Where are you going’s.”

I grabbed Blaze by the sleeve. “So you’re not new, huh? How come nobody knows who you are then!?” I pried. “You only asked on person.” She curled her lips in a teasing smile. “Well, Matt knows what’s going around all the time! He would tell me the truth about seeing you around here!” I loudly replied. She removed my hand from her sleeve, and continued at her locker.

“Look, it’s not my fault if you just don’t pay attention, so don’t blame me for your shortcomings.” She gritted her teeth. I stared at her, dumbfounded by the fact that I had no idea what to say. She picked up for me, by closing my mouth with her hand on my bottom jaw. “Stop gawking at me, don’t you know its bad manners?” She snickered, and began walking away.

All I could do is watch her walk, because even though I was capable of following her, I wasn’t sure anything would come out of it, because I didn’t know what to say to her. I trudged on to my next class, not sure of what to say or do to anyone.

I walked through the door to math class, and, plopped my books down on yet again, the nearest table. I kind of wished I had handled my encounter with Blaze slightly better. I knew that she was a teen-ager, and of course that could make her have mood swings, and that could come back on me for acting like a jerk. Ah, well, at least I was safe in class, where I had nothing to worry about but math.

Math is basically my favorite subject, and I was pretty happy to be here. They had given us expensive graphing calculators the first day of Algebra, and they were fun to play with. Two days ago, I got a friend of mine to take his calculator and program some games into mine. Now it has little puzzle games, and one game where you just walk around and shoot aliens. It’s a pretty good time waster I guess.

Playing the little 3D game on my calculator, I sat quietly. I didn’t even have time to realize that my teacher was approaching. Funny enough, I didn’t even acknowledge him. He was the kind of person who probably wouldn’t even care. He looked over my shoulder. “Playing games, huh? Just don’t cry to me when you fail the quiz.” He said, calmly (Which was suprising). “I won’t. I’ll know it was my entire fault, and not yours.” I replied, amused.

Besides that, math was pretty standard. I went through it playing games and occasionally looking at the board. I had no reason to be interested; I was bothered with the thoughts of getting to see Blaze again.

Blaze… what an interesting name. I wonder where it originated, or why her parents would name her such a thing. Maybe they were those off-the-wall kinds of parents, who would name their children weird things and make them play weird, un-played sports. Like ping-pong, and ice-skating. Maybe she just liked the name and called herself that. I hadn’t heard the teacher call her name after all.

The bell rang loudly, and I jumped up, excited to see her. It was weird, chasing after someone who I didn’t really expect to ever have a chance with. I turned up the hallway and ran as fast as my legs would carry me. I ignored the people around me telling me to slow down, and continued at a very forward pace.

I reached someone bending down in the hall way, and took a big leap over them. They looked up, surprised. I grabbed the corner of the hallway, and swung around the corner. Just then, the worst thing that could have ever happen, happened.

I looked around, seeing books flying, and a purse soaring through the air with them. Everything was in slow motion, and as I looked down, I saw Blaze tumbling to the ground. I saw her hit the ground butt first, and slide backwards into about 5 people, causing them to fall, and drop their books as well. I was the only one standing in the wreckage.

I stared forward, gawking stupidly at the amazingly moronic thing I had just accomplished. I saw this beautiful girl, looking straight at my eyes, get up off the floor and wipe her skirt off, glaring at me. She stepped up, and her hand tensed, as if she were about to reach up to smack me, hard. As I went to guard my face, instead of taking it like an honorable man, she stopped.

All she did was smile at me. Was she crazy!? I just ran through the hall way and smacked her back about 5 feet and all she does is smile? Who was this girl, and what was her problem? Was she mentally unstable? She gave me that cute smile of hers, and said, “Don’t worry about it. Just keep an eye out for a pretty girl next time. You don’t have to throw her to the floor to get her attention, you know.”

With that, she was off. But I caught up to her, and through questioning, found out we were headed to the same place, English. I opened the door for her, and since we had a free period today, we spent the whole time chatting away.

“So where did you come from anyway, Blaze? I hadn’t seen you before now.” I asked. “I think you’re crazy, I’ve been here all year!” she replied. I was getting impatient with this excuse. “Darn it, Blaze, seriously, where did you come from?” I complained. She sighed, and pushed back her soft, brown hair behind her ear. That was when I first saw her purple ear studs; they looked rather breath-taking on her.

“Alright, I’ll be honest with you, but don’t tell a soul. I don’t want to draw attention to myself, so I’ve been saying I’ve been here. The only people who know I haven’t are the faculty. Well, where to start? I came around from Alabama two years ago, and moved here. I noticed something weird with this school, so I came here to search it up, just two weeks ago.” She started out.

“Really, though, you’re not very observant. The two weeks I was here, you never even acknowledged me! I just couldn’t see enough of you, though, you stud!” She grabbed my arm jokingly. I blushed and looked down at my arm as if to agree. She giggled non-expectantly. “Anyway, I eventually noticed it was you that was weird. You stand out in the weirdest ways too! So I had to ask you to the dance, to see what you were all about, and what kind of man you were. When ever we get back from the dance, maybe I could call you my own!” She giggled again. This time she blushed.

“Well, I’ve got to go; my parents are picking me up early today.” She said. “But why, it’s already 6th period! You’ve only got one more to go!” I sounded like I was begging. She smiled, so she must have thought the same thing. She hugged me, and kissed me on the cheek, then whispered in my ear. “Call me.” And wrote down her phone number.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment