Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 16 - Adverbs, 3rd Person, Past Participles

These are short lessons based off the Quenya Elvish (LotR) course on Ardalambion.com. Rather than 40 pages a chapter, I got them down to 4. I don't have all lessons like this yet. All material belongs to Tolkien and was compiled by that site.

Chapter 16 - Adverbs, 3rd Person, Past Participles

Chapter 16 - Adverbs, 3rd Person, Past Participles
Adverbs. Pronominalendings -ntë and -t. Infinitives with object pronouns. Past tenseof intransitive verbs in -ya. Passive participles.
 
 
Adverbs:
 
In English: Usually word ending in –ly. When, whereand how the verbal action occurs. Basic adverbs give more description but arenot derived from adjectives, like swiftly. Now and here are basic. (Theyleft swiftly, She is singing now, They are here.)
 
How to form it in Quenya:
 
·       Add –vë to the end of the adjective (anda “long” andavë“long, for long, longly”)
·       Endings in -ë become –ivë instead, the ë dropping.
·       Adjectives in ‘–in’ have four possible solutions(melin)
o      Melinvë
o      Melimbë (-vë descends from Primitive Quenya –be)
o      Melinavë (-in is shortened from –ina)
o      Find a synonym! (melda, moina)
 
Some basic Quenya adverbs: (now), aqua (completely, fully), ando (long [another form!]), voro(continually), ento (next), rato (soon), oi (ever), háya (faroff)
 
Other strange instances:
·       ‘Oialë’ is derived from a noun instead (OY -everlastingage)
·       ‘Tennoio’ ( literally ‘up to an endless period’ /‘forever’) Phrases with prepositions often have an adverbial function already,and adverbs may come from them.
 
Pronominal Endings –nte and –t:
 
·       -nte ‘they’
·       -t ‘them’ (used as an object for when it’s at the endof the word- see ex. 3)
 
Examples:
·       Matintë apsa “They eat meat.”
·       Matintes “They eat it”
·       Matuvantet “They will eat them”
 
Translate These Phrases:
·       Tiruvantes
·       Pustantë
·       Pustëantë
·       Pustanentë
·       Pustuvantë
·       Upustientë
·       Tirnenyet
·       Melilyet
·       Hiruvanyet
·       Pustanentet
 
Ifinitives With Object Pronouns:
 
Infinitives like cenë ‘to see’ become ‘cenita-’ before taking an ending[/ulist] 
i mól veryanë cenë i aran ar i tári, "the thralldared to see the king and the queen".
 
Changing the above sentence to have an ‘object pronoun’ – ‘them’- yields: "the thrall dared to see them" = i mól veryanë cenitat It is uncertain whether or not a-stem verbs take the –ta- middle, but we can avoid it my using the independent pronoun ‘te’ (them). mernelyë mapa te instead of the uncertain construction mernelyë mapatat[/ulist] 
Transitive and Intransitive Verbs:
 
·       A verb is transitive if it can have an object
·       The verb ‘to fall’ is intransitive. The subjectcan fall, but the subject cannot fall something else.
·       Some verbs form pairs where one is transitive and theother intransitive: rise/raise, lay/lie.
·       Some verbs can act both ways: sink, Elvish ‘orta’(rise/raise)
 
Past Tense of Intransitive Verbs in –ya 
The –ya ending drops Transitive verbs keep the –ya ending[/ulist] 
Farya (to suffice) becomes farnë Vanya (to go, depart, disappear) becomes vannë or irregular auta Lelya (comes from ledya>led->lednê>lendê) lendë Ulya (intransitive) becomes ullë, transitive is ulyanë[/ulist] 
Passive Participles 
Verbs acting as adjectives These are adjectives that describe the subject based on an earlier action. The Dwarf hid the treasure; therefore, the treasure was hidden[/ulist] 
How to form it in Quenya:
 
·       Add –na to the end if it’s legal
·       Add –ina if it ends in ‘a’ or if the –na ending makesan illegal cluster
o      Primary verbs in ‘c,’ ‘p,’ and ‘t’ also take –ina
o      These also have extended stem vowels.
·       For –l endings mel>melna>melda (Melda is alreadyglossed as ‘beloved’!)
·       Most likely agree in number (change final a to ‘ë’)
 
Exceptions
·       Aistaina? Rather than repeating ‘ai,’ Tolkien usedAistana (blessed)
·       –ya endings also take on the –ina ending, though theyoften have adjectives with basically the same meaning. The passive participleonly shows that the nature of the adjective on the subject is inflicted.
 
Examples:
 
·       Nótina (counted)
·       Peryaina (halved)
·       Yeryaina (worn out)
·       Tópina (covered)
·       Hastaina (marred)
·       Anta (given)
·       Merna (wanted, like in a wanted poster)
 
VOCABULARY 
nertë "nine"
núra "deep"
anwa "real, actual, true"
nulda "secret"
telda "final" (adjective derived from the same root as the name of the Teleri,the Third Clan of the Eldar, so called because they were always the lastor hindmost during the March from Cuiviénen – far behind the Vanyar and theNoldor, who were more eager to reach the Blessed Realm)
linta "swift" (pl. lintë in Namárië, which poem refers to lintëyuldar = "swift draughts")
hosta- "to assemble, gather"
nórë "land" (a land associated with a particular people, WJ:413)
lambë "tongue = language" (not "tongue" as a body part)
car- "to make, to do"
farya- "to suffice, to be enough", pa.t. farnë(NOT **faryanë – because theverb is intransitive?)
ve preposition "as, like"
 
 
EXERCISES 
Translate into English:
 
A. Melinyet núravë.
B. Lindantë vanyavë, ve Eldar lindar.
C. I nurtaina harma úva hirna [or, hírina].
D. Merintë hiritas lintavë.
E. Haryalyë atta parmar, ar teldavë ecendielyet.
F. Anwavë ecénien Elda.
G. Ilyë nertë andor nar tirnë [or, tírinë].
H. Úmentë merë caritas, an cenitas farnë.
 
Translate into Quenya:
 
I. They have traveled [/gone] secretly through theland.
J. The assembled Elves wanted to see it.
K. Written language is not like spoken language.
L. Five ships were not enough [/did not suffice];nine sufficed.
M. I will really stop doing it [/truly cease to doit].
N. They swiftly gathered the nine terrified Dwarves.
O. Finally you will see them as you have wanted tosee them.
P. They don't want to hear it.
 
1.
A. I love them deeply.
B. They sing beautifully, like (the) Elves sing.
C. The hidden treasure will not be found. (Possibly, the Quenya wording úva hirna / úvahírina would suggest: "...will not have been found",referring to some future situation.)
D. They want to find it swiftly.
E. You have two books, and finally you have readthem.
F. I have really [/truly/actually] seen an Elf.
G. All nine gates are watched.
H. They did not want to do it, for seeing it wasenough [/sufficed].
 
2.
I. Elendientë nuldavë ter i nórë. (Surely you understood that "havegone" was to be rendered by the perfect form of the verb lelya-,or did you start messing with lelyaina or something, desperate to bringin a separate word for "gone"? No need...)
J. I hostainë Eldar merner cenitas.
K. Técina lambë umë ve quétina lambë.
L. Lempë ciryar úmer farya; nertë farner.
M. Anwavë pustuvan [or, pustuvanyë] caritas.
N. Lintavë hostanentë i nertë ruhtainë Naucor.
O. Teldavë cenuvalyet ve emériel() cenitat.
P. Umintë merë hlaritas.
 
The word order is certainly somewhat flexible;the adverbs in M, N, and O could probably also followthe verb (e.g. hostanentë lintavë for "they swiftlygathered"). Cf. my own key to I. But when an object or aninfinitive is to follow, I find it slightly awkward to separate it from thefinite verb by inserting an adverb between them. Of course, you can always havethe adverb at the end of the sentence as well.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment