Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Alone

"I never would've thought that my life would be different" thought 16 year old Apple Granger as she looks back at the past. "When everything changed"

Chapter 1 - Alone

Chapter 1 - Alone
But that was years ago… Everything is different now… Ever since Tyson died…

The boy saved me when I almost let go of the branch. The boy, I later found out, was also walking to the beach when he had heard me screamed. He tried to run as fast as he could and when he got there, I was already hanging off the cliff. I kept punching him because he saved me, demanding that he let me go so that I could find Tyson, but he wouldn’t let go. He just held onto me tighter. He kept trying to tell me that it was going to be fine, that I could stop crying and that I was safe with him. I just stared at him and thought that I wasn’t crying, that the moisture on my cheeks were only from the sudden rain that decided to pour on that tragic day. But that was when I realized that it wasn’t raining, that I was crying after all. I finally stopped punching him and allowed my feelings to fall like the rain. The boy still held onto me, but I couldn’t feel his embrace.

A few minutes turned into hours. My aunt and uncle found us after realizing that Tyson and I hadn’t returned from our hike, and Tyson must’ve told them where he was planning to take me because they found us in no time. They looked at my tear-streaked face and asked the boy if he knew what had happened. The boy, whom I soon learned that he was called Kai, told them that I had accidentally fallen off the cliff and he claimed that he had no idea what had happened to my brother. My aunt looked at me again and burst into tears.

“Christopher,” my aunt said to my uncle, “we need to call Yoshie and Bruce. They need to know what happened and come back to Greece, pronto.”

“Diana, honey,” my uncle said, “you know that they would never give up an opportunity like this just because of their children!”

“Well—they should!” my aunt replied, tears streaming down her beautiful face. Aunt Di is my mother’s younger sister by three years. They never saw eye to eye and I doubt that they ever will.

“Di, your sister and that man had never cared about what happened to their children. They even said so themselves!”

“But—“

“Di,” he interrupted, “we need to get Apple home.” He looked at me and I thought I saw something that I had never seen before flash in his eye. What was it? Pain? Sorrow? Or was it anger?

I looked up at my uncle, and for the first time in my life, I feared him. I feared the man that I had wanted to call my father. My uncle, with whom I had spent my whole entire life with, seemed emotionally and physically different.

Aunt Di sighed and wiped away the rest of her tears, “Christopher, you’re right—I guess. But I still think that we should call them.”

I didn’t pay any more attention to their conversation as I looked back down the cliff that almost cost me my life.

“He’s gone…” I whispered. I didn’t direct it to anyone, but a hand squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

“Not in spirit,” he whispered. I looked at the boy, the boy who saved my life, and I shook my head.

“It doesn’t matter. He’s still gone.” I tried to stand up, but my legs felt like jelly and I winded up falling down again.

“Why won’t you believe me when I said that he’s still here?” Kai asked as he caught me mid-air and tried to help me stand upright.

“Because he isn’t,” I replied angrily. He just shook his head in utter defeat.

“Thank you, Kai,” said my uncle as he took my hand from the boy, “I can take care of her from here on out.” Kai looked at my distraught form then nodded.

“Come along now, Apple,” Aunt Di tried to say cheerfully, “we’re going back home.” She stretched out her hand toward me and I numbly looked at it.

Where’s my home now? I thought as I looked at her. Life would never be the same without—Tyson.

I looked at the ocean, in which now held my brother’s soul, for the last time that day and looked at my aunt’s hand, then I looked up at her once youthful face and saw the horror in her eyes and the stress take form into wrinkles.

Tyson… Why did You have to take him away from me? Now I’m alone once again. I’m alone once again… Is that what You want!? I thought as tears started to pour again.

“I’m sorry, Aunt Di,” I said as I burst into tears again. “I’m sorry!”

I’m sorry… But I’m alone… Again…

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment