Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - Track Eight

The legend Ryuichi Sakuma is dead, he leaves behind the gift of a daughter which is passed to Shuichi and Yuki to raise. Now that she is 16 can she find the truth in her existence she has been searching for?

Chapter 8 - Track Eight

Chapter 8 - Track Eight
It seems the easiest thing in the world to do is screw yourself over. Breathing takes more effort than working yourself into a catastrophe. To get yourself out of one, you either have to be Houdini or be really, really creative. Of course there’s also the option of covering your ears, closing your eyes, and pretending it never happened. Crying like a baby also helps. I’ve learnt that from example, though I’m yet to actually see it work.

I can remember when I was seven; I was sitting on the couch watching TV because Bad Luck was to be on a music show. It was exciting, because it was the weekend, so I wasn’t at school, so I didn’t have to bother with getting Papa to tape it. Watching it was made more enjoyable because Papa took a break from his typing to watch with me. The interview was going really well, they were joking around with the host and seemed totally at ease.

Suddenly the interviewer asked Daddy if he was worried he may run out of lyrics because Bad Luck had been around so long. Daddy just laughed it off and said no, because he’s surrounded by inspiration every day. But the interviewer pressed on and began to imply Bad Luck may be losing their edge thanks to their many years on the scene without a break. Well, it just pissed him off, so he stood up and proudly declared Bad Luck would release a double album within the month with 100% new material. Mr. Fujisaki and Mr. Nakano just sat there, silent, with blank expressions on their faces, like their brains had broken. Offset you could actually hear Mr. Sakano scream like a little girl. He was then rushed to the hospital, upon suffering multiple heart attacks.

Papa dropped his coffee mug in shock, while I nervously laughed. You see, it takes my Daddy a long time to write just one song; we’re talking like a week minimum. So you can see why everyone was panicking.

“What is Daddy doing?” I finally asked.

Papa picked up his mug, “Screwing himself over in the most uncomfortable fashion.”

I blinked. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“In this case, a bad thing.”

When Daddy got home, after a cheery hello, he collapsed on the ground and began to cry like, as Uncle Tatsuha would say, “the little dog he is.” It took him a while to get over his hang over. As per usual his mind was a blank for lyrics, so he spent a lot of time sitting at the table zoned out, a paler white I’ve ever seen Mr. Sakano.

Two weeks passed and he had nothing written, not even any drafts. Mr. Fujisaki was planning his demise for putting Bad Luck’s national reputation on the line, and Mr. Nakano was refusing to help him because his wife was withholding sex for being associated with an idiot like Shuichi Shindou.

Daddy resembled a comatose patient more and more every day; he even went into the medicine cabinet and took some old pills of his to calm himself. It was must have been bad, because Papa became furious with him and slapped him – and not in any humorous manner.

My father’s mental breakdown, and effect it was having on everyone around him made me depressed as a daughter and Bad Luck otaku. I knew I had to do something, but wasn’t sure what. Another two days passed. In class our teacher read us the Cobbler and the Elves; you know, the one where the shoemaker in a pinch is helped out by some nice elves as he sleeps. It gave me an idea - I needed new shoes. After picking up some new sandals, I had another idea; I figured I’d have a go at writing songs to empathise with Daddy. If I understood the process, hopefully I could find a way to console him.

That evening I took his notepad as he sat zonked out, and wrote whatever came into my head. All up I wrote ten poems, three were just silly haikus though. When he came to the next morning he looked down at his notepad, he was naturally confused to see the pages used. Instinctly he knew he didn’t write any of it…the handwriting was way too neat to be his. Yes I find that fact to this day sad too. He first thought Papa had written it, but the grammar wasn’t perfect and a lot of the lyrics looked too random – plus as much as Papa loves him, he’s not THAT nice. So he confronted me about it at breakfast. I denied it and blamed lyric elves. He didn’t pursue it; instead he teared up, ate breakfast at record speed and then locked himself in a spare bedroom. By the end of the day he miraculously had twenty-four songs written and e-mailed to Mr. Fujisaki.

This is what you either call a miracle, or pure insanity. Suffice to say, once again Shuichi Shindou put his talent where his big mouth was…eventually. The album was a hit, and noted by critics as their most heart filled work. Promoting it, Daddy told the same interviewer it was in darkest hour he was reminded that inspiration is everywhere, thanks to the sweetest lyric elf in the world. It made me damn mad, I was the one that kick-started him again, I made the elves up! Papa explained it was a metaphor for me, so I was like, cool!

As I explained earlier, you have to either be Houdini, or be really, really creative to get yourself out of a royal screwing. Regarding Daddy, Papa and I just think he has the devil’s own luck and wings everything. Though he’s one to talk, I can’t think of one manuscript where he’s barely beat the deadline.

“Kumagoro, wanna start a magic act?” Asks Ryuko, “We could be the great Houdini Twins and poof away in a puff of pink smoke.”

Ryuko Sakuma stands on the grand outside stage that’s prepared to be the site for Bad Luck’s concert. However, a different band is setting up for a rehearsal. As keyboards are set up and additional backing music is being located, Ryuko playfully zooms around her toy bunny, trying to ignore her surroundings.

Stars in his eyes, Shuichi clasps his hands together, joyful that Ryuko will be singing with his idol band. “Ah, I’m so happy!”

“I wonder what made her change her mind,” wonders Hiro, standing by Shuichi, watching the girl play on stage.

Standing on Shuichi’s other side, Suguru eyes Tohma as he sets up his keyboard, “Yes, I wonder also.”

A young woman with golden blonde curly hair pushes past them, knocking Shuichi out of his dream state. She walks onto the stage, CDs in her hands. “OK, Mum I located most of the backing music for Nittle Grasper, what song are you planning to do?”

Ryuko stares at her in blank interest. “Ne…who are you?” She looks over the tall woman; who wears thin glasses, a tight buttoned up green shirt and a thick skirt that went past her knees. “Do you like bunnies?”

The woman rearranges her glasses and cleared her throat, “Very funny, Ryu-chan. You know it’s me, Saki Ukai.”

“Sober Saki,” explains Kumagoro to Ryuko.

Her pupils dilate; making a gasping shriek, she collapsed over, her feet wiggling in the air. Saki shrugs and directs her attention back to her mother, Noriko. “So, what’s up for tonight, Shining Collection, Be There, Predilection…?”

Noriko beams a smile, waving her hand. “How about we let Ryu-chan decide.”

Ryuko looks up at Saki from the polished wooden floor, “I don’t mind.”

“Sleepless Beauty!” Cries out Shuichi, panting like a puppy, suddenly in his dog costume.

Tohma nods to Noriko, “That sounds very appropriate. Do you know the words, Ryuko?”

She sits on the floor, making Kumagoro ice-skate, “Yeah, my Daddy is a Nittle Grasper otaku after all – and don’t get me started on Uncle Tatsuha.”

“Excellent, you had better prepare then. Is there anything you’ll need?”

‘My dignity for starters.’ “No, I’ll be fine, let’s get this over with, ne?”

Ryuko waves to Shuichi and throws to him Kumagoro to hold, Shuichi clumsily catches him. “Do your best, Ryu-chan!”

Confidently, she beams a smile and flashes him the V sign, “Let’s rock’n’roll ~ Na no da!” Ryuko snickers to herself, ‘Na no da…I’m such a dork.’

She takes her place and waits for the music to begin, but it doesn’t. “Hey, what’s up?”

“The power’s been unplugged,” replies Tohma, “And by Setsuna it would seem. How are you, son?”

Slacker quietly stands by the amplifiers, staring downward. Katsugan obediently stands by his master, panting. Silently, Setsuna walks to his father and places his hands on Tohma’s keyboard. “No.”

Tohma smiles, “No, what, Setsu-chan?”

Slacker frowns, “No, this isn’t right.”

‘My hero!’ Ryuko cheers on in her mind.

“Ryuko shouldn’t be performing with this Nittle Grasper, it’s an insult to Ryuichi Sakuma’s memory.”

‘I am gonna get Slacker the coolest Christmas present this year! But wait, what can I get him…?’

“Not to mention I’d hate to see the dishonour it would give NG Records and your personal reputation.”

‘Maybe a unicorn, I can glue a wooden cone to a horse’s head or something…’

“So I will have to insist that Saki Ukai and I take your places and perform with Ryuko Sakuma.”

Ryuko cocks an eyebrow and leaps next to Slacker, “Ne, ne, what was that?!”

Saki considers it, “Oh, that idea was posed the s’morning, you know, it isn’t too bad. Sure, I’ll go along with it.” Saki places a hand on Ryuko’s shoulder, “Let’s do our best Ryu-chan!”

Ryuko pulls a glum face, and returns to the microphone, as Saki and Slacker ready themselves at the keyboards. K lets a bullet shoot into the air, causing them to jump. He hooks the amplifiers back up. “It’s Showtime folks!” Music blares through the speakers, beats that were burned into her mind.

“I've been charmed by your eyes from far away
wake up and wait for me.
Call out and break the night's barricade
the crowd comes out of the reflection.”

This song, this is the song you are known for, Ryuichi Sakuma. Is this your great legacy to me?

“[There is no way out]
if you plan to endure the impact
[until it collapses]
a projected lie”

You’re right, there is no way out, but I can endure, I’ve endured being your damn daughter for sixteen years.

“Smile as you become reborn
and paint your whole body
see the world suddenly burning up miraculously
as we met by chance”

No, I’m not being reborn. I can tell what’s on the minds of everyone here, it’s destiny, I’m just bringing out what was already there.

“[Hold me gently as I break down]”

Who can I say that to now? Have my own parents abandoned me now?

“I see you haven't changed at all
the petals scatter from the flower
polish the gem in your hand everyday
so it will build up and start over”

I wonder if you ever met me you’d know who I was.

“[Your cold hand]
because of thorns shed through weariness
[a doused flame]
the smoke carries on”

Yeah, I’m weary and drained; I hope you’re happy. I know that bastard Seguchi must be.

“Now, where the light can't shine through
we'll paint a brilliant dancing dream
guided words will not fail
don't fear the times of change”

I don’t need change, OK. I live a nice semi-normal life! I’m happy with my parents, I’m happy with my friends and I’m not happy singing your song!

“[Cry for a way out]
[It crumbles down]”

How am I to find a way out now? I continue screaming and no one bothers to open their ears to me.

“Smile as you become reborn
and paint your whole body
see the world suddenly burning up miraculously
as we met by chance”

Father, you’re just like them. Even you mock me in your music!

“Where the light can't shine through
we'll paint a brilliant dancing dream
guided words will not fail
don't fear the times of change”

I have no brilliant dancing dream, I don’t even know my dream and now I’ll never get to find it because I have to pick up the broken shards of your former dream.

“[Hold me gently]
[Catch me forever]
[Do more until my heart breaks down]”

My heart has already broken down…so now I’ll have to borrow yours.
*Sigh* I have lost my soul ~ Na no da.

Everyone around the young Nittle Graspers breaks out in applause, the most vocal being Shuichi who tosses Kumagoro into the air with glee. There is one who doesn’t clap however. Standing away from the talent and crew is Eiri, his arms are folded and he watches in a deep scold. In her despair, Ryuko catches a glimpse of him. His eyes burn into her’s, he appears betrayed, but why?

There is no time to ponder, Sara and Himeka interrupts her thoughts by throwing barley sugars at her to grab her attention. Ryuko turns their way and forced a smile.

“How did I do?”

Himeka places her hands on her hips, “You rotten traitor! You call yourself a Bad Luck otaku! What happened to suffering for your LOVE? Were all those nights of camping out in front of music stores, and those violent contests with that dog Rage all for naught, huh?!”

“Hime-chan…I…”

Sara takes Himeka’s hand; the two girls walk onto the stage. Sara smiles, “It appears we’ve become a little…jealous. We can’t allow you to get away with this. You can only appease this situation by singing a Bad Luck song with us. Do you accept, Sakuma Senpai?”

Sakano gasps, surprised to see the turn around from their attempts earlier that morning. K grins, trying to contain his laughter.

Ryuko blushes, the very idea of singing one of her Daddy’s songs makes her heart race. “Wow…I…I guess that’ll be cool! What song should we do?”

“Rage Beat?” Wonders Sara.

“I hate that song,” whines Himeka, “How about Spicy Marmalade?”

Ryuko folds her arms, “No and no. We will do Blind Game Again, I have spoken.”

“dog.”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment