Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Settling In

I couldn't resist posting this one, I typed it during the days I spent being bored at night...
Perhapse i should have slept instead?

Oh well; the story is EdXWin so it don't matter. ^-^

Chapter 2 - Settling In

Chapter 2 - Settling In

Ch. 2, Settling in


"Don't take that away!"

Edward's spastic yell almost sent Winry falling forward while holding in her arms a bundle of tied papers that looked dangerously close to spilling out. "What's your problem? There in the way here."

Edward crossed his arms and threw himself back onto the chair he had been previously occupying before Winry came in the kitchen and picked up his so-called 'mess'.
"I liked them where they were."

"I have to agree with Winry, Brother." Alphonse said coming into the kitchen to set down a twin chair that came with the table and the chair Edward sat on. "Our research papers would just be in the way here, besides theres plenty of room elsewhere." "And a kitchen table is no place to have papers scattered anyway, it's for eating on." Winry added.

Edward didn't like that. He was use to using the small kitchen table from his dorm as his desk while he ate so he could both think and feed himself at the same time. Why was it so hard for them to understand his only want?

"I'm putting these in the living room." Winry declared, and acted on her claim by stepping deftly through the arch that led to the said room. Edward huffed loudly.

"Married couples have to comprimise, Edward!" Winry called from the living room, all the while laughing while Edward spuddered about how it was only pretend. And damnit Alphonse didn't have to laugh with her like that, it wasn't helping.

Edward decided he would get his own kitchen table for the living room and eat there, just to spite the laughing twosome. Of course the room already seemed to have reached it's quantity limit so that was shot out of the sky.
Alphonse and Winry had been spending the last week furnishing the two story home while he'd been off doing his given mission before this whole, engagement scheme thing started. He'd been made to play as messanger boy between some other state alchemist and a spy who was seated in an outside trading post between Central and Briggs, the northern most part of the country.

Like he cared though, it wasn't his problem what went on between two bickering nations while he had two problems of his own to take care of. One of which who knew perfectly well not to irk him unecessarily while the other-

Well, the other one was just plain jerk.

Edward opened his mouth to make this claim when the doorbell rang noisely.

"I got it," Winry said, the sound of something dropping to the floor made Edward both develop thoughts of a soon to be Winrycide and getting up out of his seat to run to the living room, unheeding to Alphonse's complaint when Edward nearly bowled him over.

"You dropped my papers?!" Edward snapped, gathering the scatter in a huff, fixing Winry with malice, until he realized his malice was fixed on her back and turned away muttering about no respect while she opened the door.

"Oh, Major Armstrong?" Winry managed to say before she was embraced in a bone crushing hug.

"Oh what a joy to be hold, I'm so happy for you, Dear young Winry Rockbell!" Cried the mellifluous voice of Alex Louise Armsrong, neglecting to realize the poor girl in his embrace was on the verge of passing out from lack of oxygen.

"Oh, my apologiese," He said releasing her. "I mean young Miss. Elric."

Edward let the papers he'd been babying fall to the floor, his face dumbstruck and vegetable red.

Unlike Edward though, Winry slowly took the Major's words in stride, including stepping back and taking the still gawked Edward into her embrace. "Thank you very much, Sir."

If Edward still had the will to think properly his mind would have instantly initiated shut down and he would have passed out.

"Is something the matter?" Armstrong asked, his blue eyes registering Edward's strange behavior.

"Oh, he's just being sullen." Winry said directing her 'hubby' to the sofa, where he obediantly sat down. "He's just mad because I won't let him leave his mess on the kitchen table."

Armstrong crossed his arms and nodded in understanding. "Yes, I see. A lovers quarrel." Edward twiched. Armstrong turned to Edward, holding a finger in the air. "Marrige requires compromise, Edward Elric." "That's exactly what I said." Winry laughed, gathering the papers and setting them on a small coffee table to the side of the sofa. Then she deliberately sat right next to Edward, taking his limp left hand in hers. "So, what brings you here, Mr. Armstrong?"

"Would you like some tea, Major?" Alphonse called from the kitchen, his iron clad head poking between the arch.

"No thank you, Alphonse Elric." Armstrong replied, "I will only be here shortly. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small black box. "I've come to bring you both a gift." He approached Edward with the box, handing it to him. Edward took the box, only to set it on the side table. With an annoyed sigh Winry got up and retrieved the box. Opening it she ghasped. Inside was a small gold necklace with a heart shaped pendant. "I- it's beautiful." She could only say.

"It's a precious heirloom that's been passed down the Armstrong family for generations." He said proudly. "And it would make me tickled if you would pass it down yours for generations as well."

Winry only nodded, too choked up to give a proper reply. So did Edward, if only for a totally different reason.

"Well, I must be on my way." He said turning for the door. Before he walked out he turned his head back to the girl and mute boy. "May you and Winry have many fine children, Edward Elric." he said before going out the door.

This time, Edward really DID choke.

--=-=-=-=-=-


"Edward, you can't freeze up like that next time!" Winry scolded him at the kitchen table some time after Major Armstrong left. "Everyone'll get suspicious if you keep making it seem like your going to die whenever someone mentions the marriage."

Edward had his head in his right hand, while holding onto a cup of water gingerly with the other. "I got startled, alright." He said defending himself. "We can't all be brilliant actors, Winry."

Alphonse shook his head. Knowing just how well Edward managed to worm his way around others whenever they went on a feild mission or their own personal run. He could be quite the ham, actually. Only for whatever reason Edward was taking the whole pretend marriage thing too seriously.

So either Edward was slipping on his acting skills or pretending to be marrying Winry made him uncomfortable.

Which would mean-

"Listen I won't get tongue tied next time, alright." Edward said taking a swig of his drink. "Just give me awhile to get use to pretending to be married, I never did this before."

Or maybe Alphonse was reading too much into this.

"It'll be over after Grandma heals, so you shouldn't worry." Winry said picking up Edward's empty glass and depositing it in the sink. "To tell you the truth I was nervous too."

Edward looked up sharply.

"I was worried for a minute that he would see right through us." She giggled a bit, before staring down at the floor. "I wish he hadn't given us that amulet, I feel so guilty now."

A pregnant silence engulfed the kitchen. Alphonse decided to break the stoic atmosphere. "So, should we keep unpacking? There's still the rooms upstairs we need to furnish."

So the three spent the rest of the day upstairs unpacking, in which a fight for a room with a view took place between two warring blonds.

'Yep, I guess I WAS reading into it too much.' Alphonse thought, sighing as a metal object collided into a thick Fullmetal skull.

Now if only he could find a way to keep them from killing eachother before Granny Pinako healed.


TBC.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment