Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - The Arranged Marriage and Prince Victor's Page

Princess Kel's father has announced that a jousting tournament will be held for her hand in marriage. A few days later eight princes arrive in the kingdom. Who will win? Read to find out.

Chapter 5 - The Arranged Marriage and Prince Victor's Page

Chapter 5 - The Arranged Marriage and Prince Victor's Page
Chapter 1-5: The Arranged Marriage and Prince Victor’s Page
I was walking pat the princes’ camps and I noticed Princess Meghanchan waking out. I really wanted to talk to her but I really didn’t have time. I ran over to talk to her even though I didn’t have time. (I had to talk to someone who wasn’t one of the princes.) She seemed happy to see me.
“Hey, Princess Meghanchan,” I said as I walked up to her.
“Oh, hello Princess Kel; it’s so nice to see you again,” she said happily.
“Can you believe all this nonsense?”
“Not at all. You’re father doesn’t know you, Princess Kel.”
“I always said I wanted to marry someone I love.”
“How are you going to get out of this?”
“There’s only one way. I have fallen in love with one of the princes who has come for the jousting tournament. He and I have been sending letters back and forth for about a year now.”
She gasped. “But isn’t that forbidden?!”
“Shhh! Yes, I know it’s forbidden. That’s why I need you to keep this a secret.”
“Alright, you can trust me.” She did a little salute.
“I know I can.” I laughed at her for saluting.
“So, who’s the lucky guy?”
“He’s you’re brother.” She sighed, “That doesn’t surprise me.”
“Why is that?”
“He’s been acting strange lately.”
“Has he mentioned my name?”
“No, not yet. Princess Kel, you’re lucky you get to choose.”
“What makes you say that?”
“My parents have set me up with an arranged marriage to Prince Martin.”
Immediately my mind began to work. It was hard for me, one who believes in marrying someone you love, to believe that Princess Meghanchan could be happy in an arranged marriage. I felt the need to help her out of it. I wanted my friend to be happy so I quickly thought of a way to do just that.
“Can you think of any way to get out of it?” I asked in defeat. (I couldn’t think of anything.)
“Nothing at all,” she replied sadly.
“Well, I guess an arranged marriage isn’t so bad. They picked a good guy. Prince Martin is a lot better than some of the others. That is, unless you’re already in love with someone else. Are you?”
“Yes, and it is the most forbidden.”
“Who?!” I suddenly felt even more of an urge to help her.
“Prince Victor’s page.”
“Ah, I see, that is quite a problem. We’re going to have a heck of a time getting your parents to accept him.”
“I know. Now you see my dilemma.”
“I will do my best to help you out of this but, for the time being, I will have to go. I still have many more princes to meet.”
“I hope we can talk again soon.”
With that we went our separate ways. I was racking my brain for such a long time that it hurt my head. Then, all of the sudden, I had an epiphany. It was suddenly obviously apparent to me that Prince Martin liked this predicament just as much as Princess Meghanchan did. That was probably his reason for entering the jousting tournament.
When I took this whole predicament into consideration I realized that Prince Martin’s parents must have known exactly what he was trying to do. I felt a, most likely fictitious, scorn emanating from his parents. I was worried that this would cause problems between our two kingdoms, but I was more worried about the fact that my friend needed out of an arrange marriage. (I was really starting to wonder what this world was coming to.)

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment