Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Water's Shadow

Fairytales were never meant to have happy endings, they're warning of the past. Hidden in Cephiro's past is a deadly secret, whatever does happen to those who fail the Test? Where do they go,what becomes of them,what vengence do they seek?

Chapter 2 - Water's Shadow

Chapter 2 - Water's Shadow
                         Water's Shadow

                                        *
                                        *
        Umi stood patiently in the elevator as its silver doors slid close with a soft hiss; she had a basket in her hand, a cake she'd baked for the others. The elevator rose quietly to the top of Tokyo Tower where she knew her friends would be waiting for her. A loud ding and the doors opened, she stepped out onto the deck her blue hair whisking out behind her with her quick steps.
        ``Umi! There you are, we were wondering where you were. Come on its time to go'' Hikaru chirped happily. The bubbly redhead flittered around her like a hummingbird.
        She couldn't help but laugh, ``I was baking a cake. See'' she held up the small basket with the cake inside. ``Oh, its smells so good. Is it still warm?'' Fuu asked standing by her side and eyeing the basket, ``That's when it's the best to eat'' Hikaru added.
        ``No, no girls. Not until we get there, it's for everyone'' she giggled and they clasped hands. Then an all too familiar light surrounded the trio and they were gone.
                                        *
                                        *
        Clef spoke with Presea quietly in the throne room, they both looked up at the sudden flash of light and the three girls from earth floated lightly to the floor.
``Hey!'' Hikaru bounded forward and hugged the artisan tightly. ``Oh, Hikaru,'' the blond woman laughed, ``You were just here last week, you're hugging me like you haven't seen me in years.'' Hikaru finally let go and smiled, ``I know. I'm just glad to see you'' the fiery redhead hopped up and down. Clef smiled lightly at the three, ``Welcome back girls, Presea and I were about to go into my study for some tea. Would you like to join us?''
        Hikaru and Fuu exchanged looks and Umi could barely contain herself from laughing, she knew what they were both thinking. She whispered to them, blue eyes blazing with mirth, ``Go on you two I know you want to'' she looked over their shoulders to Presea and gave a wink. The older woman caught her hint and grinned returning the wink, ``You know last I saw Lantis and Ferio were sparring in the room down the hall…''
        That was all it took for the fire and wind knight to suddenly fine reasons to decline Clef's offer. ``Hey, guys we're going to…ah just take a walk. Right Fuu?'' Hikaru shot a glance at her friend.'' ``Yes, a nice walk. Why don't we join you later?'' the intelligent blond was slightly blushing. Umi restrained herself from snickering, ``Sure you can catch up with us later.'' The words were barely out of her mouth and the other two knights were off and practically running down the hall.
Moments after the two knights were gone Presea caught Umi's gaze and for a second they both stared, and then dissolved into laughter. Clef on the other hand only smiled once more, shaking his head at the women's antics. ``Shall we go then?'' The three went down the hall and were sipping tea in his study a few minuets later.
                                        *
                                        *
        Hikaru and Fuu were down the hall in a few seconds, stopping outside the door to the sparing room to catch their breath. Hair was smoothed back and clothes were straitened before they both glanced at one another grinned and Hikaru stepped forward pushing the large doors open.
        They had been at least once a week to Cephiro (or Formally Cephiro as Hikaru had still not decided on a name. So at last just leaving it at Cephiro seemed like a good idea to everyone) for over a year now. But Fuu couldn't help feel her heart skip a little when they came; she was always glad to see her friends but it really jumped in her chest because of one person… ``Ferio!'' she called his name when she saw the Prince lounging by a window, his sword by his side. He lazily slide open one golden eye and then sat up with a smile. ``Sparing indeed'' she huffed at him as he and Lantis were taking naps in the afternoon sun. ``Hey we were just resting. Right Lantis?'' the young man looked back over his shoulder at the tall, lanky, dark haired man snoozing to the left of him. Lantis sat up slowly and nodded with a slight smile on his face, getting him to really seem `happy' was harder than making Guru Clef laugh, but seeing the petite redhead always put that soft smile on his face.
         It wasn't long before they had split off into pairs, Hikaru and Lantis, presumably, went off into the palace gardens, as a certain fairy was not there to object, and Fuu and Ferio stayed in the sparing room together in the sunlight.
                                        *
                                        *
        Darkness, it swirled and flowed around her, like an evil, black tide sweeping everything it can out to sea. Eyes like silver moonlight stare into a mirror upon a cold stone floor, ``They all look so happy, but it shall not last for long…No one in this world deserves to be happy…'' the shadow swelled around her and a black gloved hand came up to push a strand of her long auburn hair from her face, ``If he couldn't be happy, if he had to suffer,'' the black gloved hand clenched tight, ``…then I will make all worlds suffer. ALL of them…'' her cold voice echoed in the room. Soon her swift steps echoed down an empty corridor as she waved her hand over the mirror, erasing the image from view.
                                        *
                                        *
        Umi had served some of her cake to Clef and Presea, who had become quite accustomed to the earth dessert, and was sitting enjoying her tea. She looked up at Clef as he finished eating, ``Hey, I know Fuu and Hikaru went to see Ferio and Lantis but where are the others?'' Clef gazed at her a moment, worry etching itself on his face, ``Lafarga and Caldina went to the southern border. There was a report of something strange, Ascot went with them.'' ``Oh…something strange? Was it a monster?'' ``We're not sure,'' Presea picked up, ``But according to the messenger it was something they didn't recognize.'' ``I don't like the sound of that'' Umi murmured and closed her eyes thoughtfully. ``You needn't worry. I'm sure its nothing that the three of them can't handle…oh I almost forgot. Presea would you go check on the Autozam commander, it's about that time?'' Umi glanced over to the sword smith who was still eating her cake, ``Oh I will Clef'' she stood up and the mage looked up at her slightly surprised, ``Its ok. Presea can finish eating and I don't have anything else to do, I don't mind at all'' she smiled. ``Alright'' he nodded. Umi walked to the door and pushed them open quietly and was gone down the hall. ``Is it just me,'' Presea asked softly after she left, ``or does she seem a little different today?'' The mage said nothing but brooded silently.
        Her feet made a soft pattering sound as she walked alone down the hall to the room Eagle was in. Umi sighed a little on the sad side, she was glad that her friends were happy, they always looked forward to coming, but sometimes she felt like a burden to them. For some reason she felt like she was always tagging along with them. She knew that they had found love in this land and she knew Ascot liked her and she hated that she had hurt him but she just didn't feel the same. Even thought he'd grown she still just saw the small boy she had first met in the water shrine, a friend yes, but just a friend.
        She suddenly pulled from her thoughts as she reached the room. She actually hadn't been in here all that often, Hikaru came to see him more often than her and Fuu did and they always came with Hikaru. She wondered if Eagle would ever wake up, Hikaru had voiced some of her worries to her the other day. She was worried that he wouldn't wake up and the fact that he was talking less and less made the redhead even more worried about the commander's fate. Pushing the door open to let her through she closed it behind her soundlessly. ``Eagle?'' she said softly, if he was resting she didn't want to disturb him. Even thought his body remained asleep always, his mind rested in normal cycles and sometimes he'd be fully asleep and other times not. She felt his mind connect to hers so he must be awake, she got an immediate sense of confusion from him and giggled. ``It's Umi. Hikaru's friend?'' she sent him a mental picture of herself in her mashin armor for that had been the only time he'd seen her before he'd fallen into his coma. ``Oh, yes I remember you.'' his voice was light in her head, barely a whisper. ``Guru Clef sent me to check on you, are you doing alright?'' she knew the question was kind of redundant but she couldn't think of much else to say to him. ``I'm alright. Thank you Umi. It's been a long time since you came with Hikaru.'' She smiled lightly, ``I know. Just didn't…well'' she really didn't know what to say. He actually laughed, she could hear it echo lightly in her mind's ear, it was a warm sound and soothing to hear, ``It's alright. I understand'' There was an awkward silence as neither knew what to say to the other. ``How are Hikaru and the others?'' she felt the mental question. ``There're fine. They both went to the sparing room to find Lantis and Ferio'' she smiled lightly and her eyes traveled to the window, which was open, letting the fresh breeze in. Eagle's mental smile was apparent, ``I'm glad that Hikaru is slowly getting to Lantis, I think it's good for him.'' Eagle waited for Umi to respond but she didn't, but he did feel her heavy thoughts and certain sadness, ``Umi? Is something wrong?'' his kind concern made her smile, yet it was not a happy smile. ``Oh, no. I'm fine. I just had a really busy day today. I'm really tired'' she glanced back to his unmoving form on the bed, hands folded lightly across his chest, ``Oh, did you go to your `school' today?'' after his question their conversation picked up anew, with a thankfully lighter tone.
        ``Hurry up Lantis.'' the red knight pulled the cail after her with much impatience
at his calm slow walk, so the complete opposite of her quick fidgety steps. Lantis, as cool and collected as ever, gave into her hand in his tugging him forward and quickened his pace slightly. ``We're going to stay for a few days but I want to see Eagle before we go out tomorrow…I wish he'd get better soon, so he could go with us'' her voice took on a sad tone. ``I'm sure he will. There's no one in Cephiro with a stronger will than you, I'm sure with your help he'll be fine'' the cail had stopped her and was looking down at her sad eyes, the look of them didn't suit her. He lightly ran a hand through her hair and a smile tugged at her lips, a look far more at home on her face. Placing a hand on her back he urged her onward down the hall. Hikaru was quite happy that he was there and happy with the kind words he'd given her. She had slowly matured over the year or so since they had first met, her first year of high school having something to do with it, but all the same she wasn't quite the little girl has she had once been. She took his arm and was glad today that it was unarmored, not that she didn't mind it when he wore his armor…but it was like trying to cuddle with a tank. So with much glee and a secret smile she pulled Lantis down the hallway to Eagle's room. They had almost reached the doors when they heard the sound of a faint female laugh drifting to them. They both looked at each other; Hikaru shrugged and pushed the door open.
        Both Hikaru and Lantis were slightly surprised to find the owner of the laughter. Umi was now seated on the floor next to Eagle's bed her elbows on the coverlet, her hands holding her head up as she laughed again. Hikaru could now also hear Eagle's mental laughter; it made her smile to hear him happy. ``Umi! Eagle!'' she bounded over to them and well …glomped would be the best word…poor Umi. Who let out a little squeak as the knight of fire hugged the air out of her.
        Though Eagle couldn't see the hyper fire knight enter he could feel her formidable force of will power, Umi's will was strong too, not quite as much as her fellow knight but there was enough difference that he could tell their magical aura's apart easily. He could also feel Lantis's aura hovering just out of his main field of `sight.' ``Hikaru?'' he called the redhead's name when he felt Umi vainly trying to breath, and the redhead looked up from her friend but didn't let go, ``What is it Eagle?'' she smiled brightly know that he couldn't see it but could still sense it. ``I think your friend Umi would like to breath'' at this Hikaru looked down to see Umi turning blue, ``OH! Sorry Umi!'' she let go and Umi gasped, ``AIR! Finally!'' and giggled as she caught her breath. ``Hikaru…Caldina is really starting to rub off way too much on you.'' The water knight climbed to her feet and sat on the edge of Eagle's bed. ``Thanks'' she said in a silent mental note to Eagle for distracting Hikaru long enough and then getting her to let go. She felt him smile, ``Any time'' he gave a light chuckle again as Hikaru leaped over to Lantis and dragged him over to join the little group.
                                        *
                                        *
        
        It was quite. Too quite. Despite the name, the Forest of Silence should have been alive with sounds of night time creatures, and yet…nothing. The absence of sound was almost overwhelming. In the quite a shadow cast by the pale moonlight separated from the shadows of the trees near the river, as if the night had given birth to it and was now spitting it out into the world. A figure stepped out from behind the tree after the shadow. Tall, slender and beautiful, the shadow woman with auburn hair held out her hand, ``There, there, my pet. Come to me'' she called in a voice so deceptively bitter and sweet, like poisoned chocolate. The creature slid its way over to her and materialized into a solid shape, slightly resembling a black horse, with deep black eyes that did not reflect the moonlight. Its form was frightening yet beautiful at the same time, as if daring someone to climb on and go for a ride. ``Ebon, you know what to do. Good, my little pet, do me proud'' the mysterious shadow woman disappeared into the eaves of the trees once more as if they had reached out and swallowed her. The creature called Ebon shook his head, his form shifting slightly until he appeared to look that of a unicorn. The `unicorn' walked to the river that fed into a small lake and disappeared beneath the water's surface.
                                        *
                                        *
        `The wind has picked up' Umi thought as she tucked her blue hair behind her ear. The wind had indeed picked up and blew at everyone's hair and clothes. Lantis and Ferio's capes snapped in the sudden sharp breeze that had sprung up from out of no where. Hikaru and Umi both glanced at Fuu who blushed and shook her head, ``It's not me'' she commented. ``The weather has been odd of late'' Lantis draped his cape over Hikaru shoulders and she looked up worried, ``It has? Why didn't anyone tell me? I could have done something about it'' the smallest knight humped and crossed her arms. ``We didn't want to worry you'' Ferio took Fuu's hand, the green knight smiled slightly to herself but did not blush for once, ``And besides its still nice out, a little wind never hurt anyone'' he added as they left the wooded trail they had all been on and came to a clearing by the river. ``Tell Caldina that``, Umi snickered as she thought of a certain battle in the Wind Shrine. Fuu shot her a look, ``What?'' Umi asked sheepishly and Fuu rolled her eyes. ``Isn't it weird? Coming to the Forest of Silence for a picnic? I think the last time we were here it was to find the Escudo for our swords, right Umi?'' Hikaru hopped from one subject to another like a butterfly flittering from one flower to the next. ``Ya and we had to be tested by that stupid fountain! I hate that place I'm glad there's no use for it anymore!'' There was a sudden silence, ``You know I never really thought about it but…'' Fuu ran her free hand through her heavy blond curls, ``We'll be the last Magic Knights…ever…'' ``Ya…kind of an odd feeling isn't it?'' Umi glanced at her friend. ``But isn't that a good thing? That means no one else will ever have to suffer like the Princess did.'' Hikaru asked, as always finding the silver lining. ``Guess you're right, it is a good thing'' Fuu smiled and Umi nodded in agreement and just at that moment they reached the small lake they had been looking for. ``Here it is'' Ferio pointed, he'd been leading the way being well versed on the many hidden paths in the forest.
        They spread out along the shore of the lake, Hikaru went for a longer walk as Fuu and Ferio set the food out that'd they brought with them; Lantis found a comfortable spot beneath a shade tree and stretched out his lanky form for a nap, being almost as bad as Eagle about loving to take naps. Umi had sat down by the lake and taken off her shoes soaking her feet in the cool water. She pillowed her head on her knees staring at her reflection in the water. Her gaze drifted over it, at her headband, her earrings, and her eyes, her deep blue eyes. She didn't really know why, but lately she just really hadn't felt like herself. Moving her foot she sent ripples across the water's surface, ``What's wrong with me?'' she whispered to nothing. She couldn't explain it but she just felt like something was missing, she didn't know what but she had the inexplicable feeling that something just wasn't right with her, on the inside; she had this aching feeling that wouldn't go away.
        She heard laughter and looked up to see Hikaru had come back and was holding a small dragon like creature in her arms, ``Aww can't I keep him? Look his wing is hurt. Lets just keep him till his wing is better?'' she begged Lantis who was staring at the dragon like animal with slight amusement as Fuu and Ferio were laughing at the sight the two of the made. Umi smiled at them as well, Hikaru, ever the optimist. She felt the cool water lap at her ankles and turned to look across the water to see a unicorn staring at her, its large opaque blue eyes blinked and it pawed the water with its small hoof. ``What are you doing you silly thing?'' Umi asked the creature as she stood up and walked into the water, it was only about a foot deep where the unicorn was at. ``Are you hurt or are you just here to drink?'' she stopped next to it and reached out to touch it. He was large for a unicorn she thought and reached out to the unicorn, it pressed its nose to her hand. With that touch there was a sudden flare of shadow and the wind suddenly whipped through the trees. Umi watched in horror as the unicorn shifted and morphed into the great black horse like thing. Giving off a screaming cry far too human like for her comfort it reared striking its hoofs into the water. Umi looked down and had just enough time to scream as the knee deep water suddenly opened up and she plunged beneath the water's surface. The others were on their feet in a second, aroused by her scream and the horse creature's cry, ``UMI!'' Fuu and Hikaru ran to the water's edge but Umi was no were to be seen beneath the dark surface. ``UMI!!!''
        Beneath the water Umi struggled to break to the surface, she was running out of air and her lungs burned like they were on fire. But no matter how she fought she couldn't reach the surface, she reached down to try and find what was holding her down but she couldn't feel anything. She gagged and swallowed water her vision was swarming, `I can't breath!!!!' she screamed mentally and tried with one last effort to break free with no avail. `I can't give up. I've got to break free. I have to, I REFUSE TO DIE THIS WAY!!!'' Suddenly there was the roar of water moving with great ferocity…

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment