Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Is Will Enough?

Fairytales were never meant to have happy endings, they're warning of the past. Hidden in Cephiro's past is a deadly secret, whatever does happen to those who fail the Test? Where do they go,what becomes of them,what vengence do they seek?

Chapter 3 - Is Will Enough?

Chapter 3 - Is Will Enough?
Note: W00t, next chapter. Sorry its so tiny. >_<; I’m having writer’s block, evil isn’t it?
Don’t own Rayearth, wish I did but nope.

3- Is Will Enough?

        “UMI!!” Hikaru called out again her voice reaching a fevered pitch as she and Fuu reached the water's edge. She ran to splash forward into the dark water but Lantis’s strong arm wrapped around her waist. “No, Hikaru don’t go into the water. It’ll suck you in like it did her. Without your full powers you don’t stand a chance” Hikaru knew this but didn’t care, “NO! I have to help her, let me go!!” she fought against his strong hold as Ferio held Fuu back in much the same manner. None of them could see beneath the dark surface, there were no air bubbles anymore and the creature that had started it all had disappeared. “We have to do something!” Fuu cried and tried to look for any sign of Umi beneath the water but there was nothing.
                                        o
                                        o
        Pale eyes watched the unfolding events.

“Good, very good my pet. So the first shall die by her own element…how…” she gave wicked smile, that hinted at some darker thought, “ Quaint” the evil leer pulled at her soft lips into a full blow grin.

“You know what they say about the fairest of them all…” she waved her hand over the mirror upon the floor and the image closed in and sharpened on the struggling figure beneath the water, flowing blue hair, “it just never ends well for them.”

She watched the writhing young woman with growing anticipation; suddenly the look upon the dark woman’s beautiful face changed to confusion and then rage, “What?! NO!”
                                        o
                                        o
        
        Umi’s friends looked on in vain as the surface of the water grew darker and darker. Hikaru sank to her knees in a sob and Fuu too was in much distress and she clung to Ferio’s tunic.

“No…” she let out a half sobbing gulp.

The entire forest went silent except for the two girl’s tears; they all looked up at the sudden lack of movement or noise. It felt…it felt almost like something was building…Hikaru could feel it; something immensely powerful was building, beneath the water. The wind shifted and for just a second time seemed to stand still, as if everyone in the world was holding their breath. Then the breath was released.
        The roar of the water was deafening as it rocketed from the riverbed and pulled away as if were being sucked through a giant straw, the ground was left dry as all of the water retreated back up the river. Everyone, as of being knocked back by the force of the water, tried to gain their bearings and find the source of the onslaught. Fuu was the first to find her voice.

“Umi…”

        The blond looked up in amazement along with three other astonished faces at the site that presented itself to them. The water had parted and there was Umi…floating three feet off the ground, her hair seemed tossed by a strange upward breeze. Strangest of all, she was glowing; her entire frame gave off a strange ghostly blue light. Staring at them blankly she then turned her head to the side and the water rose up in a threatening manner, making a seemingly impenetrable wall of water. Hikaru gasped and tuned looking back down the riverbed to see the creature; it looked at them, mainly Umi, with horrid black eyes and flaring nostrils. It gave an unearthly scream and charged toward Umi, intent on doing something to hurt either her or the others. Lantis and Ferio didn’t even have time to draw their weapons before Umi took control. Her hand rose into the air and the forest fell silent once again. Even the creature hesitated in his charge, she spoke only two words.

“To me.”

With equal ferocity of its retreat the river water retuned at its mistress’s command. Rolling back into its banks the water took the horse creature with it as it screamed in protest and terror. The water became calm and placid again but Umi remained floating just above the water her bare feet dangling below her. Tiny droplets fell from her pale toes sending ripples across the surface; she continued to stare at them listlessly.

“Umi?” Hikaru ventured in a quiet voice, the word fell into the silence like a stone into a pool.

“Hi-ka-ru?” Umi blinked slowly and then collapsed into the water. The fire knight was out of Lantis’s hold before the man could protest, running to her friend with Fuu only a breath behind her.
                                        o
                                        o
        The cracking of knuckles echoed in the mirror room.
“That little…dog” the owner of the voice was not please, not pleased at all.

She flicked her hand and something flashed out at lightning speed, a second later one of her guards at the door fell dead where he stood. A silver knife imbedded in his chest plate a tiny pool of blood already gathering under his body.

“There.” She smiled and stretched her arms over her head, “much better.” She yawned; “It seems I have some thinking to do, I underestimated them, but I shall not make the same mistake twice” her face was emotionless as she stepped over the dead man’s body on her way out the door. The other guards were already scrambling to remove the body and another guard had already taken the fallen one's place.
                                        o
                                        o
        It was so overwhelming, but comforting at the same time. She’d heard this sound before, the ocean whispering in her ears. Umi gave an exhausted sigh her eye lids felt so heavy, they refused to open. “Umi?” she heard voices calling her. “Umi?” she forced her eyes open.

“Umi, you’re awake!” The blue headed girl felt the arms of her friend wrap around her, Hikaru half buried herself into Umi's shoulder.

“We were so worried about you” Fuu also was sitting next to her and took her hand.

“Where am I?” she asked in a light whisper, blinking slowly as if she were unsure if she was awake or not.

“We’re back at the castle. You’ve been asleep since yesterday” Fuu said as she patted her hand.

“Yesterday…oh” she nodded slowly.

“Umi…” Fuu moved to sit closer to her side, “How did you do it Umi? We haven’t had any of our powers to much extent since Mokona and the Mashin left.”

Umi shook her head, “I don’t know…” Umi glanced at her friends looking at little confused.

“Hum” Fuu nodded and shook her head.

Hikaru just smiled, “Well I’m just glad your ok”

“Me too” Fuu took her hand and squeezed it.

“Eagle was worried too” Hikaru glanced over to other side of the room.
Umi turned her head to see Eagle, “Oh I’m in Eagle’s room?”

“Glad to see that you are awake Umi, hope you don’t mind the company.”

“It's ok” Umi said with a small giggle.

“Clef thought it would be a good idea to put you here, that way it would be easier to keep an eye on you, and of course Eagle too.” Fuu giggled and Eagle gave a mental note that he approved. Umi sighed; feeling tired again and looked to her friends her eyes dropping closed.

Fuu noticed and shushed Hikaru who was chatting away with Eagle. “Alright you two, quiet down. Come on Hikaru; let’s go tell the others how she’s doing. They’re all worried as much as we were” she shooed Hikaru out of the room after the redhead told Eagle she’d be back to see him and Umi later. Fuu went to the door and started to close it, taking one more last glance at Umi who had drifted off to sleep once again.

“Hey Eagle?” she called softly.

“Yes?” he answered.

She paused for a moment, “Keep watch over her ok?”

“Of course. If something comes up I’ll let Hikaru or Lantis know.”

Thank you Eagle” Fuu left the door closing with a click.

After she left Eagle remained awake for quite awhile, he was kind of glad to be helpful for once. Since he'd fallen into his coma he'd felt a little like a burden. But after a while he too became tired; for a moment he debated with himself if he should call one of the others to keep an eye on Umi.

“You worry too much” he heard Umi mummer, “Go to sleep. I’ll be fine.”

He chuckled surprised at her, “I though you were asleep.”

“You think too loud for anyone to sleep” she murmured again and rolled over snuggling into her bed. He chuckled again and allowed himself to settle down into a more restful state.

        Fuu walked slowly down the castle corridor, it was dark out and most of Cephiro was asleep. There was a storm coming too, ever since the Knights had eradicated the Pillar system the weather had become more like the weather on Earth. The usually calm and level headed young woman was pondering something she’s been trying to figure out for two days. ‘How did she do it?’ she thought.

“How did Umi use her powers?” she actually asked the question out loud.

Mokona had left with the mashin and now the knights’ powers were amateur at best. Perhaps her will power had been enough? Clef had offered to re-teach them their magic, but the girls had thought it wasn't necessary to learn it back to the extent they had once been able to produce. ‘Maybe we were wrong’ Fuu thought and shook her head.

“Peace never truly lasts does it?” she whispered to nothing as she pressed a hand to the glass of the window she was looking out, lightning flashing across the sky. Somehow she felt the monster that attacked Umi wasn’t just a single event, she had a bad feeling something else was about to happen, damn bad feelings.

AN: Again, sorry its small. I’ll try to get a little bit more into the meat of the story in the next chapter.
In the next chapter: One of the other knights is in danger. Is will power enough to save her? Umi bed ridden and about to hurt someone if she isn’t allowed to do something. Next time.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment