Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - Will is Everything

Fairytales were never meant to have happy endings, they're warning of the past. Hidden in Cephiro's past is a deadly secret, whatever does happen to those who fail the Test? Where do they go,what becomes of them,what vengence do they seek?

Chapter 5 - Will is Everything

Chapter 5 - Will is Everything
4. Will is Everything

        “No matter how much your heart is aching there is beauty in the breaking”



        Hikaru paced back and forth in the sun lit room, her nerves slightly on edge and worry evident on her pale face. ‘Who could it be? Who could want to harm Cephiro now, after all this time?’ these thoughts and many others similar to them rattled through her head. She had pulled her braid out and it hung loose down her back, fiddling with the ends of it in a nervous gesture she went out onto the balcony of her room. Cephiro was so beautiful now, she looked down at the endless stretch of green and gold, so beautiful, maybe even more beautiful than when Princess Emeraude had been the Pillar. “Who would want to harm us now?” she asked to the empty room.

“Hikaru?”

The sound of Lantis’ voice nearly made her jump out of her skin. “Lantis?” she turned to see the knight make his way in the door where he’d been standing. He strode into her room and onto the balcony with her.

“Hikaru…” there was a scolding tone in his voice as he took a seat on the bench next to her, as if he knew she’d been fretting about their current predicament.

“I’m fine…just a little worried. That’s all” Hikaru forced a smile and knew Lantis saw right through it. She folded her legs beneath her and buried her face in his warm shirt, he didn’t say anything but she felt an arm wrap around her gently. At the moment that was all she needed, the comfort and the silence, but one question still bothered her more than any thing else. ‘Why?’
                                o
                                o
                                o       

        Feiro felt the tug on his arm and looked down to see his blond beauty move to make herself more comfortable on his shoulder. Her cheek was pressed against his arm and her bright green eyes gazed off into empty space. She was thinking, he could tell, so he let her and remained silent, but he did reach up and thread a hand through her curls. Her hand tightened in his and she blinked, smiling softly, but she didn’t break the easy silence between them. They were sitting comfortably on the floor in front of a rather large glass window, Fuu had once told him it looked like a terrarium only she was on the inside looking out at all of Cephiro. When he had asked her what a terrarium was she had only given him one of her carefree smiles and told him she’d tell him later. Right now he wanted nothing more than to replace that soft frown that tugged at her lips with that smile but at the moment he could only hold her… and wait.

                                o
                                o
                                o

        Meanwhile in another room of the castle the water knight and Eagle were enduring a silence of another kind.

‘Death…’ Eagle pondered Umi’s explanation of the story’s title. ‘No wonder she’s seemed so unhappy. Thinking about that…’ he frowned mentally. “Umi, is that what the story’s about? It seems hardly a story to tell children” he asked gently not wanting to push her into talking unless she wanted to.

        Umi sighed and ran her fingers through her hair in a nervous gesture. ‘Should I really get into this now? I don’t know…I don’t really feel like it but..’ she took a deep breath ‘but I really want to talk to someone. And he’s right here, quiet and listening. What more could I ask for?’
        ‘Umi?’ his gentle voice broke her train of thought. She stirred and took a breath, “Well there’re two versions of the story. One is less harsh than the other, but they both are fraught with sorrow. ‘Ice and Snow’ is the only vision I knew for a long time and I only learned of the other recently.” She left out the part of how she originally found the tale, right after they’d returned from Cephiro the first time, when her sorrow had been greatest. “I was in the library with Fuu actually she’d drug me with her…” she huffed and rolled her eyes.

        Eagle chuckled getting the idea that she wasn’t much on studying. Umi continued on after he stopped and she gave him a few worlds along the lines of she wasn’t going to finish if he didn’t start behaving, which provoked another chuckle from the blond man. She pouted and he finally quieted down so she could continue.

        “Anyways…” Umi started clearing her throat. “The story starts out simple enough I guess…It’s a love story about a young nobleman named Elliot and a peasant girl, Freedert. They fall in love even though they are from completely different backgrounds. They’re happy together but in the end they are torn apart…but it wasn’t their families or their people that separated them…” she paused for a moment, “It was war.” Umi gave a soft knowing smile, ‘war does things like that…I should know more than most’ she thought and then continued on. “Elliot promised he’d return to Freedert and while she waited she prayed for his safe return.”

        Umi’s voice dropped to a soft whisper and Eagle had to strain to hear. This story was quiet different from the others. “It matches her mood…” he thought, “soft and quiet and so very sad” pulling back out of his thoughts he listened to her.

        He had a feeling that her telling this story was just more than something to keep her occupied. She needed someone and for some unknown reason she hadn’t talked to her fellow knights so he was happy to oblige. Perhaps she would feel better soon and talk to her friends about whatever was bothering her.

        “But her prayers were in vain” Umi’s voice was full of emotion as if she were telling her life story and Eagle wasn’t even there. In truth she had almost forgotten he was there except for his gentle encouragements to continue. “Elliot was slain in battle, shot through with an arrow at the last fortress protecting their lands and the village where Freedert waited for him. When she found out about his death she asked their god to take all her remaining time and give it to Elliot. Her wish was granted…”

        Umi stopped again… ‘Just like Princess Emeraude’s wish was granted…’ she shook her head and pushed it from her mind. “Elliot awoke from death and around him, instead of a pool of his own blood, were flower petals from the red flowers Freedert loved. When he returned home and learned what she had done he said, “Please, give her all the time I have left!” The god was moved by their love, so because of their love and the sacrifice of their lives the village was promised eternal time. And to this day the god is suppose to protect them all…” she finished and sighed. Hugging her knees she sat there wondering what his take on the story would be.

“They died for each other…it’s beautiful and yet horrid at the same time” the young commander didn’t miss the similarity of the tale. He fell silent as a deep sadness fell through him. He didn’t know if it was his own sadness from the tale or Umi’s saddened aura rubbing off on him, but whatever the reason he fell silent into brooding. ‘That story sounds almost too much like what happened to Lantis’ brother and the princess…I shouldn’t have made her tell me now she’ll be even more unhappy. Sigh, where’s Hikaru when you need her…?’
                        o
                        o
                        o

“Why exactly are we doing this again?” Hikaru asked as she stumbled over a tree root a few hours later, once again in the Forest of Silence. Lantis caught her easily and steadied her back on her feet, she smiled at him gratefully.

“We’re going to see if we can find anything that might lead us to where that creature came from that attacked Umi. I don’t think it was a normal monster created by fear, that means it had to come from somewhere.” Fuu answered with a swat of her hand as she pushed some hanging moss out of her way. The three of them, Hikaru, Lantis and herself, were making their way back to the place where Umi had been attacked.

Clef had given the two knights their old armor but had not given the girls their magic, he wanted to wait until Umi was also strong enough as well. Though Presea had given them their original swords back so they were by no mean unarmed. Fuu glanced down at the softly glowing green jewel on her glove hand, her sword rested comfortably within and brought her comfort. It’s magical ‘weight’ felt good in her hands, ‘Lets just hope I don’t have to use it’ she prayed silently.
        A shadow passed following them in the trees, Lantis looked up and a frown found it’s way across his handsome face. “Hikaru…” he called in a warning tone and the tiny magic knight already had her hand above her red glove jewel, it flashed in a bright glare of crimson.

There was the harsh sound of metal scraping metal as Hikaru met the blade of her opponent as a woman sprung down from the trees. “Who are you?!” she demanded angrily at the woman.

Short black hair flew wildly as her attacker struck again surprisingly she was able to shove back Hikaru, matching her in strength of sword and will. Hikaru looked at her eyes wide.

“I am Sentra, and I’m here to give you a message” the woman, apparently called Sentra, gave a menacing glare. She lunged forward the blade of her sword glowed with a strange violet light, “My Lady Impreza told me to ask you something” she swung down and Hikaru was again put on the defensive, deflecting the blow.

“What are you talking about?!” Hikaru looked at her in confusion and took a high guard.

“What is most precious to you? Is it Cephiro or something else?” At this Sentra glanced toward Lantis who had drawn his weapon almost without notice.

“Lightning” he called and a blast of electricity shot forward and the woman did a casual back flip away from Hikaru and towards the third member of their party.

“Fuu look out!” Hikaru called out in panic as the woman sprang away towards Fuu who drew her sword out as quickly as possible.

Green eyes reflected on green eyes as the sudden new enemy reached back and threw her hand forward in a movement that meant only one thing… “Fuu!!!” Hikaru darted forward to intercept it, she had to protect Fuu, no matter what.

“Twilight sphere!” A shadow like ball left Sentra’s hand and flew toward Fuu. The only thing she could think belatedly was how much she wished she could use her magic now. Then suddenly, “Hikaru!” she called out in horror as her friend stepped in front of her.

The roar of the magic attack was in her ears and she couldn’t help but squeeze her eyes shut as a scream escaped her lips. She took the attack full on and she could hear Fuu gasp behind her. “Hikaru!” That was Lantis’ voice…she smiled faintly. She felt the blood begin to flow, warm and fast running down her side and legs. Faint laughter reached her and she opened her eyes to see Sentra bound away into the trees. Lantis was by her side immediately, she knew he’d berate her later for her actions, he and Fuu were safe and that was all that mattered. “Lantis…” she whispered and fell into darkness.
                        o
                        o
                        o

Umi stood up bolt right from her place on the foot of Eagle’s bed where she’d been sitting listening to Hikaru’s iPod for a while. All the color had drained from her face and she yanked the head phones out of her ears as if to hear something better. “Hikaru!”

“What’s wrong Umi?! What happened?” Eagle asked in a rush, he didn’t need any help to pick up on the anxiety in her voice. “What happened to Hikaru?!” Something very bad must have happened for her to react this strongly.

“I don’t know…something’s happened…she’s hurt.” Umi rushed back to her bed and took her uniform jacket and tugged it quickly on. “I’m going to find Clef and Presea, maybe they know”

“Umi don’t be so rash, you really shouldn’t even be out of bed yet” he pressed his concern, though truth be told he was just as worried. “I’m sure Clef will tell us something as soon as he knows” he tried to soothe her but it was useless.

“No, I’m tired of just sitting around and waiting on everyone else. I’m going to do something about it, and now” she turned back to him for a brief moment. “I’ll come back as soon as I can.” And she was gone not even bothering to put on her shoes.

Eagle gave a slightly disappointing sigh, “She’s really just as bad as Hikaru, has to do it herself and wont wait for anything” Though he did have to admire her will, she wasn’t going to let anything stop her from what she wanted. He paused for a moment in his thoughts. “And I wouldn’t either, and I shouldn’t… I am going to wake up. If she can have the strength to do what she does even when she’ s in pain. Why can’t I do a simple thing as wake up? After all in this world will is everything…”



AN-Well there’s a little tid-bit for you. I hope you like it and I hope the format is easier to read now.

Next time-Can Eagle give his all and wake up or perhaps he needs a gentle shove to pull him out. And the mysterious Sentra, just exactly what does she mean by “What is most precious to you?”


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment