Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Miracles

Fairytales were never meant to have happy endings, they're warning of the past. Hidden in Cephiro's past is a deadly secret, whatever does happen to those who fail the Test? Where do they go,what becomes of them,what vengence do they seek?

Chapter 7 - Miracles

Chapter 7 - Miracles
AN: And finally the next chapter. Thank you to all my reviewers, Keli-chan you rock! I’m sorry for the wait I wish I could update faster, but I’m in the final semester of my senior year and trying to get all my scholarships and financial aide in order for collage. Ehhh…makes me cranky just thinking about it. But anyways on with the story!

I don’t own Rayearth; must I really keep repeating this?


6. Miracles

                         "The Princess is strong, precisely
                 because she is strong she is fragile. If someone doesn't
                        show her that, she'll probably break...soon."
                                                ~Kurogane TRC


“Umi”

It was a whispered, raspy, forced but gentle word, strait from his lips. Not his mental voice, but his real voice, hoarse after going long without use. Eyes long closed now looked up to her sadly, squinting slightly from the moonlight for even its soft glow seemed to be too bright for him.

She stared at him; the shock alone stopped her tears for the moment. He’d rolled onto his elbow and reached out to her and now his warm hand rested against her cheek. “Umi?” he repeated softly. Blinking furiously she opened her mouth but nothing came out.

“That much of a surprise?” he chuckled dryly. Grunting he pushed himself into a sitting position next to her. He didn’t exactly tower over her but she did have to look up to meet his gaze. He looked down at her with a soft crooked smile. “Are you alright Umi?” he asked once more wondering if he’d get an answerer this time.

She blinked owlishly once again and then in a sudden leap forward threw her arms around his neck and buried her face in the soft fabric of his shirt. Her tears returned though if they were for him or something else was unknown to him. ‘Why are women so confusing?’ he thought.

He caught himself before he fell backwards a look of surprise crossing his face before a sad smile took its place. He sighed, it seemed like whenever anyone came to him they were in tears. “It’s alright” he gingerly wrapped his arms around her shoulders, “It’ll all be alright” he soothed. ‘She’ll feel better after this’ he thought as he softly tried to quite her tears. The warm salty liquid was soaking into his shirt as he rubbed her back in soothing circles. He coughed trying to clear his parched throat, he felt like he’d never tasted water before. “Umi” his voice broke and cracked a little, “You need to tell the other knights, they can help you much more than I can.” He smiled and brushed her hair back, it was so fine it tangled around his fingers slightly.

He studied her face and couldn’t help but pause at her beauty. The only knight he’d seen close up before falling into his coma had been Hikaru and to him she’d always be beautiful but not in the same way. Each knight had a strength and beauty all their own that he’d come to cherish each of them for. Their love for Cephiro, it’s people and foremost for each other was something he truly admired.

Umi pulled away from his hold slightly and shook her head vigorously, “That’s not true!” she managed between her sniffles as she finally pulled herself together. “You’ve helped me…” she whispered quietly.

“I’m glad.” He took her by the shoulders and held her away from him at arms length. He examined her face closely, her blue eyes were a little red and puffy but her tears had stopped. Yet even though she’d stopped crying her eyes still held that glassy look to them that comes from crying. “So are you going to be ok?” he asked again.

Umi looked up and nodded, “Yes, I’ll be ok” she said and ventured a small smile. She was rewarded for this as he smiled in return and then he reached over and took her headband from where she’d sat it.

“Even though you do have lovely hair it’d be a shame to hide such pretty eyes behind it.” He handed the band to her and she blushed in a very Fuu like manor as she slid it into place. His smile widened but he didn’t say anything about it. “Now that’s all in order, you wouldn’t happen to know where I could get something to drink would you? I’d settle for anything at this point but water would be nice.”

“Oh! Of course, I’m sorry!” the blue haired girl hopped up and ran into Cephiro’s version of a bathroom and went to the wash basin where there was a pitcher along with some glasses and a bowl.
        
Eagle leaned back into the pillows and looked after her curiously as she disappeared into the adjoining room. She returned after a moment with a glass and a pitcher and sat back down on the opposite side of the bed as she poured him a glass. “Thank you” he gratefully accepted the glass and sat up tipping it to his lips and tilting his head back as he unceremoniously gulped down the water, he was that thirsty.

Umi watched him as he drank the water down quickly; she suppressed a giggle as he gulped the water. It was something so boyish she could hardly imagine him doing such a thing. A small drop of water missed his lips and slid down his creamy, white throat and her eyes followed. Almost of their own accord her eyes followed the drop as it disappeared into the collar of his black shirt and soaked into the fabric. She continued to watch him, the way his throat moved as he swallowed how his bangs brushed his cheek bones because they’d gotten so long. She knew it was rude to stare and mentally scolded herself, ‘Umi you’re staring. You’re still staring…Quit staring!’ she wanted to smack herself as she finally tore her eyes away and looked down to the pitcher she was holding and instead stared at her reflection in the water it held.

*               *               *

‘Mistress will not like this turn of events.’ Green eyes flared as Sentra crouched down on the railing of the balcony outside the window to Eagle’s room, no never mind that the ground was a good three hundred feet below her. Her short cropped raven hair stirred in the gentle wind from the height. ‘I didn’t think he’d have the strength to awaken, he shouldn’t have had the strength…Unless,’ she paused in her thought. “Something forced him to play his hand for what it was” she pondered the notion in a barely audible tone.

“Interesting turn of events is it not?” a male voice carried to her with a slight chuckle.

“Camry…” she hissed the name as if it tasted bad passing over her lips and looked to her right. There in shadows of the balcony, only the pale red light of the third moon outlined his form, was a man. He was tall and lean, his face hidden in the shadows. As he stepped forward he became more illuminated and eyes the color of fine red wine gazed at her from behind bangs the color of ivory.

He glowed red like some devil come to torment her, “Wouldn’t you agree?” he smiled.

“What are you here for Camry?” she glared. “If you interfere Lady Impreza will not be pleased.” She glanced back in the room at movement and saw the water knight go into another room. “We can not be seen here.”

“You mean you can not be seen here, I have no such restrictions.” He grinned as if this fact pleased him greatly and stepped closer to her.

He would be considered handsome by most, bright eyes, high graceful cheek bones and a sly, mischievous smile. Yet there was something about him, something that nagged the eye and no matter how long one looked upon him you could not discern its source. Despite his good looks and seemingly youthful appearance there was something to him that spoke of age, he gave off the feeling of something ancient. Perhaps it was his eyes, wine-red eyes that spoke softly of eons past.

“You are a traitor” she snarled below her breath at him. She kept one eye on the water knight and her target and the other upon him as he eased closer.

“Traitor?!” he scoffed. “You and Impreza hold that title far better than I do” he turned his eyes upon her anger boiling like hot red blood. “Let’s see genocide, high treason, crimes against all of humanity…should I go on?” he licked the tip of his pointer finger and ticked off the points one by one.

“Why you smug, self-righteous…” her hand clenched and the violet gem on her glove gave off a dangerous light…

*               *               *

Eagle gave a sigh of relief as the water quenched his dry throat. “Thank you. Who knew water could taste so good” he gently held the cool glass in his fingers relishing the sensation of his fingertips on the smooth surface.

As thirsty as he had been even the water from Autozom, which was metallic tasting and had to be run through purifiers to make it safe to drink, would have been welcome? Thankfully the water in Cephiro was much better.

“Would you like another glass?” Umi asked and held out her hand for the glass. She had a new understanding of his situation, he was so thankful for just as glass of water. It made her pause for a moment, ‘Makes my fretting sound silly…’ she thought.

“No, I’m fine for now thank you” his lips curved in a slight smile as he leaned back in the pillows. His head was beginning to ache slightly but he was too happy to care much. His eyes traveled around the room drinking in everything he could see. So many vibrant colors to take in, so many interesting things to study but he found his gaze kept traveling back to the Water knight sitting by his side.

He grimaced as a twinge of pain went through him; he lifted the cold glass and pressed it to his forehead. ‘Something’s not right. There’s something wrong, something is here…he flinched as the pain in his head doubled.

“Eagle?!” Umi stood instantly her hands fluttered from his head to shoulder not sure what to do to help him. “What’s wrong?” She placed a hand on his forehead, “You’re not going to go back to sleep are you?!” he voice rose in pitch with her concern.

“No…” he shook his head, the glass in his hand fell, it shattered upon the tile sending deadly tears of glass skittering across the floor. He pressed the palm of his hand to his temple. Reaching out with months of practice he looked for the aura that he was feeling rolling throughout the room, that murderous, malicious intent. His eyes had closed and Umi’s voice was far at the back of his mind, but as soon as he found the pin point his eyes snapped open wide and went to the window across the room. Quickly reaching out to Umi’s mind his words were whispered and harsh even upon her mind’s ear. “Umi don’t move…”

*               *               *

“Don’t be foolish Sentra” Camry warned as the angry warrior advanced. Before the very irate woman could react they both felt the wave of magic. They both stopped in their advance. “Impressive…” Camry mused. “He sensed you’re ill intent” he nodded his head toward Eagle in the room. “Usually only the Pillar can do such a thing…Shouldn’t be too much of a surprise I suppose.” He shrugged, “Well I guess it’d be time to get going then?” he grinned and took a step back off the balcony and dropped, plummeting into the night below.

“Damn you Camry…” Sentra hissed as she followed after. He’d forced her to blow her cover… “Probably planed it too…bastard.” She too dropped away into the darkness and soon there was nothing on the balcony but the wind.

*               *               *

“What’s wrong?!”
Umi asked back. She had frozen at his command and her senses were all on high alert. Eagle had been acting strangely the last few moments, his eyes darted around nervously as if expecting a monster to jump out. “What are you sensing?”

The blond warrior’s eyes didn’t stray from the window for a good long moment. “I don’t know…I felt something…evil…” His gaze left the window and returned to her, his eyes were dark and solemn none of the light heartedness from earlier remained. “Whatever it was…” he sighed, “I think it’s gone now” he spoke aloud now.

“I’ll go find Clef. Just in case something has gotten into the castle and he’ll want to know you’ve awakened if he doesn’t know already.” Umi went to stand and leave but before she could Eagle caught her hand.

“Wait, I’ll come with you.” He slowly shifted his weight and swung his legs over the edge of the bed, the cool tile felt alien to his feet as he stood slowly.

“Eagle be careful!” She went to him quickly as he swayed slightly. “Are you sure? I mean you just woke up shouldn’t you stay in bed a little longer? I can bring Clef back with me if you want to talk to him.”

“I’ll be alright. I’d really like to get up and move around you have no idea how tired I am of being in here.” He smiled his head tilting to the side slightly and his bangs shifted hiding his amber eyes behind the pale strands. “I’d like to speak with Clef also but I actually want to talk to Lantis.” From what he could sense both the mage and cail were together somewhere down the hall to the left.

“Ok…If you say so” she eyed him wearily. “Clef is usually in his study or the throne room this time of night, but I don’t know where Lantis is…He’s probably pacing in front of Hikaru’s room again.” At this the water knight rolled her eyes enticing a chuckle from Eagle.

“He’s worried sick isn’t he?” he asked as Umi helped him slip on a lightweight green cloak over his black outfit that he normally wore under his cloak from Autozom. He had to lean some of his weight onto her small shoulders but soon they managed to make it into the hall.

Standing in the hallway Umi looked from the left to the right wondering if she should try the throne room first of Clef’s study. The study was closer so she started to go right when Eagle stopped her.

“They’re that way” he lifted a hand and pointed left. At this the Magic Knight gave him an odd look one perfectly shaped blue eyebrow arching in question. He grinned at her look, “Well they are” he added.

“How do you know they are?” she had to ask as she turned and went left instead.

“Well…It’s hard to explain” he ran his hand through his hair slowly as he pondered how to explain it. “After I’d been in my coma for a while I began to understand that people and things give off different auras, and because I didn’t have another way to sense things that ability became stronger. So now I can tell different people apart, sometimes even their moods, by this aura they give off. That’s how I know where Clef and Lantis are, though Lantis is easier to pick up on I know him better.” He smiled down at her slightly surprised face and chuckled once again.

*               *               *

Lantis and Clef had been in deep conversation for some time when they were interrupted by a soft knocking upon the large wooden doors to the throne room. Both of them glanced at the door in surprise wondering who could still be awake at this hour besides them. When the knock was not answered promptly it came again this time a little harder.

Clef waved his staff and the doors swung open soundlessly to reveal the silhouette of two people one leaning slightly upon the other. The long hair of the water knight gave her away quickly but the other was unknown until they stepped into the light cast from the many magical torches around the room. “Eagle?!” Clef nearly stuttered. The said man grinned in response to the mage’s shock.

“Eagle…” Lantis echoed and was quickly on his feet and helping Umi bring the commander into the room. The trip had made Eagle tire far more quickly than he had first thought and almost all his weight was now on Umi and she was having a little trouble. Pulling Eagle’s arm across his shoulders Lantis took the man’s weight and Umi trotted quickly after him and helped set Eagle down in the chair he’d occupied a moment before. “When did you wake up?”

“Just a little while ago” Eagle gasped slightly out of breath.

“I knew you should have stayed in bed” Umi scolded him like a mother would a child that didn’t listen to good advice.

He only smiled wryly at her scolding and took deep slow breaths. “I’m alright.”

“Lying is a bad habit” She flicked her hair in a quick light movement as she sat down in a chair Clef had just created for her.

Clef created one more for Lantis as he too sat down. “Well this is a surprise but a good one at least, I was not expecting you to awaken so soon.” The mage eyed Eagle slowly, the man seemed a little tired but that would be expected he hadn’t used his body in over a year. Though the tiredness was only in his body not his eyes, they were bright and warm and at the moment looking up to the viewing mirror. It had turned back seemingly into a skylight and the Cephiro night sky could now be seen. Eagle seemed to be enjoying the view.

‘Beautiful...’ was the only word Eagle’s stunned mind could come up with as his eyes roamed the sky. The conversation between Lantis, Clef and Umi was soon only a soft mummer at the back of his mind. ‘I’ve never seen a sky so clear’ he gazed out the window for quite some time lost in though.

“Eagle?” Lantis’ deep baritone finally reached the man. The blond jumped slightly startled and looked back at his friend. “Yes?”

“We were discussing that we should contact Autozom and your father should be notified as soon as possible of your awakening” Lantis continued after getting Eagle’s attention. “I’m sure Geo and Zazu will be glad to here it.” Both Zazu and Geo had been to visit several times but they were always eager for updates on Eagle’s progress. In fact if Lantis recalled it was due time for a regular update.

“Yes, I’m sure they will” Eagle smiled and then an idea came to mind he suppressed a grin, he’d have to try and talk to Hikaru later; he knew she’d help him and maybe Umi too. He glanced at the water knight and was surprised to find her asleep in her chair. Her head was tilted slightly to the left and her hair fell around her against the back of the chair. Her breathing was soft and gentle sound asleep. ‘It’s been a long day for her….’ he thought. “If I may, I suggest we finish the rest of this in the morning” he spoke to Clef and Lantis and pointed to the knight.

“Oh…” Clef said surprised. “I knew she wasn’t fully recovered from that creature’s attack. She really never listens to advice…” the mage shook his head wondering about the antics of some of his students.

Eagle stood seemingly much stronger than before, as he did feel himself grow steadier by the minuet, and gathered the blue girl into his arms. “I’ll take her back so she can lie down. I’m sure all she needs is a good night’s sleep” he smiled gently down at her
“Eagle it might be better if I take her” Lantis stood, unsure if his friend could make it all the way back to his room.

“Don’t worry I’m fine, shouldn’t you go see how Hikaru is doing? I do hope she’s doing well.” Eagled nodded his head to the right in the mild direction of where he sensed Hikaru’s aura. “I’m sure Presea and Caldina could use a break.” He added as he left the room and headed down the hall.

“I guess I should go see how she’s doing” Lantis sighed. In truth he really was worried about her still and even being away from her this long was enough to drive him to madness. He spoke to Clef about contacting Autozom in the morning and then left. He went quickly down the hall and reached Hikaru’s room but as his hand reached the door a strange thought reached his mind. ‘How did Eagle know Presea and Caldina were with Hikaru?’ He shrugged it off, Umi had probably told him.

*               *               *

Eagle gently set the slumbering Umi down on her bed in his room and took her jacket off and hung it off the corner of the bed. “Thank you Magic Knight” he took her hand and kissed the back of it and pulled the covers up around her. He walked slowly over to the open window and for the first time looked out upon Cephiro. “It truly is beautiful” he leaned against the door frame and gazed out with the blue moon shining down brightly.

*               *               *

Somewhere deep in the night among the heavy trees of the forest of Silence half in shadows half in light stood a couple. “You should not have angered her so” the woman scolded her lover.

“But then where’s the fun in that?” he asked and chuckled as he ran his fingers though her hair gently letting the strands wind around his fingers. “She riles too easily anyways” he teased.

“This is no laughing matter love” she sighed wondering how she ever put up with such nonsense.

“Because you love me, that’s why you put up with me” he read her mind and she glared up at him. “That’s very annoying…when you do that you know.”

“And yet you still come every time to meet me…” His eyes did that unfair smoldering thing that just made her want to give into anything.

“And yet I still come…” she repeated softly right before he covered her mouth with his softly and his hand slid up to gently cradle the back of her head. A moment later she sighed as he pulled away a little. “What becomes of us now? And the others?” she asked her voice filled with sadness.

Her lover looked down at her his red eyes seemed to burn lightly in the darkness of the trees, “Cephiro shall decide…” He looked up to the moon for a moment and then back down to her.

“Camry…” she looked up to him and brushed his pale bangs to the side her fingers moved lightly over his cheek.

“Cephiro always decides” he pulled her close to him with a soft prayer to the creator that everything would turnout alright.

*               *               *

An: OMG I finished. Author falls over dead…Ahem ok maybe not. This is my longest chapter so far, I’m so glad I got it finished before this week. I hope you enjoyed if I got too cheesy let me know…I tend to let my mind go sometimes…what am I kidding when is my mind ever where’s is suppose to be? Also I wrote a poem that goes with the story but since its not a chapter I posted it separately it's called "Eternity" click on my profile to check it out. I just kept forgetting to tell everyone. Thanks. VKiera

Next time: How will Hikaru fair in the next chapter? Who’s the woman with Camry, and what exactly was Eagle grinning about. I bet he’s planning something. And Sentra’s after a new target, “Tell me little green one, what do you think happens to the ones who fail the test?” Next time.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment