Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 11 - Angel's Lullaby

Fairytales were never meant to have happy endings, they're warning of the past. Hidden in Cephiro's past is a deadly secret, whatever does happen to those who fail the Test? Where do they go,what becomes of them,what vengence do they seek?

Chapter 11 - Angel's Lullaby

Chapter 11 - Angel's Lullaby
10. Angel’s Lullaby

An: We meet again! Thank you to all my wonderful reviewrs, your support and comments are the most wonderful encouragement to keep going with my story. I'd like the thank ShadowScribe for the help on this chapter and also everyone who's posted in my Rayearth forum.

Once again I don't own Rayearth, though the quote is mine. Enjoy the read!


[/b]Dream of me, I’ll come to you.
Singing you an angel’s lullaby.
So hush then close your weary eyes
And I‘ll sing an angel’s lullaby.”


The throne room began to clear out soon after Camry left. Ferio had taken Fuu back to her room to rest and Caldina and Lafarga had left with Ascot before them. Presea and Clef spoke together quietly before they too left, heading to the mage’s study. Lantis and Hikaru were the last to leave.

Hikaru looked back worriedly over her shoulder, she didn’t really want to leave but then she did want to go to Fuu and see how she was feeling. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Lantis.

“She’ll be fine, she’s not alone” He reassured her as he draped an arm around her tiny shoulders. His cape was warm and felt heavy on her skin, a comforting feeling. He glanced back into the room as well.

“Yes, I guess you’re right” Hikaru nodded slowly and let Lantis lead her out.

With their departure Eagle and Umi were left alone it the room.

A soft sigh escaped the blond man as he held the girl. Her crying wasn’t hysterical but soft and quiet, slightly repressed. It wasn’t the full fledged crying of the night he’d awoken from his coma but it seemed every time he held this young woman she was in tears.

‘I’d much rather hold her smiling’ he was stroking the back of head but his fingers paused for a second as the thought registered with him. It surprised him that he was thinking along such lines, when had he begun to think of her like this?

Umi’s tears had slowed yet she didn’t pull away from him. Eagle seemed to be lost in his own thoughts for the moment so she remained very still and quiet. Her sobbing gulps for breath stopped and her breathing evened out as his hand passed through her hair. Frayed nerves were soothed for now so she just closed her eyes and concentrated on the sensation of his fingers sliding through her hair.

It surprised her still that he was such a formidable warrior and yet had such soft, gentle hands. There was something about him, a paradox, how he was such a skilled, steadfast, and if need be brutal warrior but at the same time a calm and gentle soul. The solider that had wanted to be a doctor, to heal wounds instead of cause them.

Hikaru had told her once that she thought Eagle and Lantis were similar and they were. Both were calm, formidable men, yet they were also very different, different as frost is to fire. Lantis was a very cool, hard, calm man and yet every thing about Eagle spoke of warmth, soothing warmth, like morning sunlight.

She took a soft breath unconsciously drinking in his natural scent. It was a relaxing aroma, like old leather and sandalwood maybe even a bit of vanilla and cinnamon. ‘Do they even have vanilla and cinnamon here?’ her mind wondered off on a tangent for a second.

Turning she pressed her cheek against his chest and listened to the soft passing of air as his breath came and went and the steady sound of his heartbeat drummed in her ears. It was enough to nearly lull her to sleep and she knew it would if she didn’t move soon. So with much effort on her part she pulled away from him heaving a light sigh.

The commander had been lost in the realm of his own thoughts when the sudden shock of cool air over his chest where the warmth of her body had been pressed brought him back to the here and now.

“Better?” he asked and lifted up a hand brushing the back of his fingers along her cheek sliding aside a few stray strands of her hair back.

“Yes, I’m sorry. I seem to cry on you a lot…I got your shirt wet…sorry” she just kept gushing words.

“Umi stop apologizing, there’s nothing to apologize for.” Giving her shoulder a soft squeeze he stood offering her a hand. “I’ll walk you to your room.”

“Oh, thank you” she graciously took his offer and stood and he lead her out. She caught his gaze for a moment and he smiled, but his eyes looked red, tired. ‘Maybe he didn’t sleep well’

They made it a few doors down before they came up behind Hikaru and Lantis. They were just a few paces ahead of them. Umi bit her lip and slowly let go of Eagle’s hand. “Hey Hikaru…?” she went forward and the redhead turned to look at her.

“Umi? Eagle?” Hikaru took a step back towards Umi; there was something in her friend’s face that made her know she was needed.

“I need to talk to you…and Fuu. I need to tell you something.” Umi looked back at Eagle for a second.

He nodded in encouragement knowing she was going to tell them finally. He smiled at the determination that flittered though her eyes. She took Hikaru’s hand and passed Lantis who came to stand next to him. The both of them headed towards Fuu’s room just down the hall.

Umi glanced back once more before they rounded the corner.

There was a comfortable silence between the two men for a moment though Lantis eyed Eagle with an almost accusing gaze.

“Have something on your mind? You’ve been staring at me all day.” Eagle grinned looking up at his friend.

Lantis made a soft nasal sound, almost a snort, “You should tell her.”

“Tell who what?” the blond man’s brow knitted together in confusion.

“The Water Knight, you should tell her how you feel.”

“Hum?” he asked amber eyes blinking innocently.

“Eagle…” Lantis sounded exasperated at his friend’s feigned ignorance.

“I know but…, well I…” Eagle was silent a second trying to formulate a reply but words failed him.

“But what?” Lantis pressed.

“I’m a bit older than she is I don’t want to press…” Eagle chose the words carefully. “I don’t want to press how I feel onto her and now isn’t really the time with all this fighting going on and…” Lantis cut him off.

“Age shouldn’t matter, it doesn’t matter to me or Hikaru; and when will there be a time exactly?” The Cail turned the heavy weight of his sharp blue gaze down onto the commander.

No matter how long he’d know Lantis, Eagle still felt like flinching under that piercing gaze. “I suppose you’re right.” He leaned back against the wall with a thoughtful murmur.

“You convinced her to tell her friends about her feelings, her problem, didn’t you?” Lantis leaned against the wall opposite him. Of course Lantis would know there was something bothering the girl, he always noticed these things, but rarely ever said anything about them.

When Eagle nodded yes he continued, “Don’t you think you owe her the same truth? Don’t be such a hypocrite.”

Eagle glared at him but gave an affirmative nod. “Even so I’m not even completely sure what I feel about her.”

“I don’t know how you fooled Geo and Zazu so long about your illness, you’re a horrible liar.”

Eagle chuckled darkly, “Can’t get anything past you? Can I Lantis?”

“Whatever you decide to do, do it soon. You may lose your chance, if the resent turn of events should go ill.” There was a heavy weight to those words as they passed the Cail’s lips, almost an omen.

Where ever the conversation would have gone is unknown for Ferio came around the corner from Fuu’s room mumbling a complaint. “What’s with her? I swear the way she acts sometimes you’d think she was royalty! Ha!” he was fuming about something.

“What’s the matter Ferio?” Eagle quickly grinned; he had a sneaking suspicion who had ruffled the prince’s feathers.

“I don’t particularly like being ordered around like a servant that’s what the matter is. Umi and Hikaru just went into to Fuu’s room and Umi ordered me out like she was Queen of Cephiro…” he rolled his copper-gold eyes in annoyance.

“You’ll have to forgive her it’s been a long day for everyone and I think she had something important to tell them” Eagle pushed away from the wall.

“She could have been a little less forceful” the price was still bitter mostly because he’d been separated from his beloved Wind Knight, who had kindly asked him to follow Umi’s orders. He sighed, ‘Man the things I give into for her’ but he smiled anyway.

“You should go get some rest, you look like you’re about to fall over” Eagle looked down at the young man; you could tell he’d not really slept any the night before.

“You’re one to talk you look pretty tired too” the price quipped back but yawned deeply.
“I’ll go rest for awhile…at least until Umi leaves the room” he threw a half-hearted glare back down the hall and then made his way down the corridor to his own room.

“I’m going to go speak to the Guru, do you want to come?” Lantis asked.

“No…I think I’ll follow Ferio’s example and go to my room. Though if something comes up call me would you?” Eagle turned on his heel heading the opposite direction. “Hey Lantis…?” he asked before the Cail was out of hearing range.

Pausing in his step Lantis looked back, “Yes?”

“I know willpower affects these things here but just how old are you anyways…?” Eagle grinned unable to help but ask since Lantis had mentioned in passing the difference between himself and Hikaru.

The older man debated a second then sighing, “Eighty-seven” there was something of a slight grin that tugged at his lip at the subsequent shock that passed through Eagle’s features and he turned back heading for Clef’s study.

0

0

0

There was a moment of silence after she finished her story. After telling Eagle the retelling was a little easier and Hikaru and Fuu sat and listened nodding their heads in understanding. She bit her lip softly looking from Fuu to Hikaru and then back to Fuu. “That’s what I wanted to tell you…”

“Oh Umi so that’s why you were so sad last week. We were both so worried about you but you didn’t tell us what was wrong.” Fuu took her hand.

“Umi,” Hikaru scooted over to her friend and linked elbows with her. “I’m glad you told us. It’s ok, it happens to me sometimes too. I’ll be doing something completely normal and something happens that reminds me of what happened and I’ll start to cry again and run into my room. My brothers probably think I’m crazy but it’s ok it if they do. It’s ok to be sad about it.”

“Yes, it happens to me as well. But I know that if I need someone you and Hikaru are there and you’ll always understand. As long as we’re together, we’ll all be alright!” Fuu was on her other side and she smiled at her friend.

“Thank guys” Umi smiled brightly. She reached out hugging both their necks, “You’re the best.”

They all smiled. Even through the wounds, the pain and the heartache no matter what they’d always have each other and that was all that mattered.

“So…” Umi turned to Fuu touching on something she’d thought of earlier. “I just thought it was so cute how Ferio wouldn’t leave. You know, I don’t think he left the entire time you were asleep. So how long has he been spending nights with you…hum? Curious minds want to know?” she grinned evilly.

“Umi!” Fuu blushed appalled by Umi’s little joke. “Not very long…” she blushed even more.

“Really?” Hikaru asked tilting her head to the side, little cat ears popping out curiously. “Gee Fuu I didn’t know that, how long have you guys been doing it?” The words were said before it processed though Hikaru’s innocent little mind what she was suggesting.

Both Umi and Fuu turned stunned faces to her.

“Hikaru…”Umi clasped both hands over her mouth trying to hold it in but it was just impossible. She started to laugh hysterically, doubling over and falling out of her sitting position next to Fuu, flopping onto the bed. It hurt her side to laugh so hard but she couldn’t stop.

Fuu turned red, red, cherry red! “Umi she didn’t mean that!”

“Sorry Fuu…I didn’t mean to say it…” Hikaru also blushed but she too was giggling. With Umi laughing so much it was hard not to. Soon she too had dissolved into a fit of giggles and Umi had a few tears escape her control.

“Ooh! The both of you!” Fuu picked up one of her pillows and whopped them both. This only started pillow warfare in which Hikaru ended up on the floor and Umi got her leg tangled in the sheet and fell dangling off the side of the bed all the blood rushing to her face. The room rang with giggles and tiny shrieks for a good thirty more minutes.

0

0

0

“Do you think all the things he said were true?” Presea asked softly. Lantis had entered Clef’s study a few moments before and the three of them were having a quick chat while the Magic Knights were…ahem…busy.

“He wasn’t lying” Lantis said softly. “By the way Umi reacted, and Hikaru as well, I’m don’t think he was…that’s something you just can’t lie about.”

“It’s so horrible…I mean I know the tragedy of the Pillar is a part of Cephiro’s history but…such a cruel thing. In a way it’s almost worse than what happened to the Princess.”
Presea looked up to Clef who sighed.

“Cephiro is ancient, there is no way to fathom how many over the many millenniums have been a victim to that horrid fate, the princess was in no way the first…but fortunately she was the last.” Clef added with a sad smile.

“He left before we could get any other information out of him, though I don’t think I’d be in the mood to talk anymore either…” Presea moved to Clef’s side looking at him with a sad expression of her own.

“Perhaps I can be of more help now” Camry came out of the shadows by the door.

Just how in the hell does he do that anyways?

The man looked much the same, the solemn look had not left his face but he seemed to have reined in his emotions. At his entrance all three people in the room jumped, he smiled apologetically, “Beg your pardon. I’m not intruding am I?” He walked further into the room and stood not too far from Lantis.

Lantis eyed the man; he was tall but not quite his height but his eyes were more like Clef’s, old, so very old. Deep pools of age and memory reaching far, far back into Cephiro’s distant past, a past the same bloody shade of red. “You’re not” Lantis said and motioned to a chair.

Camry sat down in one fluid motion, “I’m sorry for upsetting the Knights, but it’s not an easy thing to tell anyone and there’s no way to soften that tale”

“It’s understandable, I’m sure it was not easy for you to recount either” Clef replied. “But we still are unclear on the matter of the reason behind those who attacked the Knights; you know them do you not?”

“Yes, I know them. Many of them are like me, failed Pillar candidates.”

Lantis started to ask something but changed his mind and asked something else, “What of the two who attacked the girls…they said they were sisters?”

“Solara and Sentra, yes they are sisters and failed candidates. Solara is the eldest and Sentra is the youngest…the middle sister was Pillar in their time.” Camry’s eyes swirled with a strange mix of emotion at the mention of the women.

There was another moment of solemn silence as the understanding of just how many hearts had been shatter by the Pillar system was further enforced.

Lantis wondered what the flicker of emotion he saw pass through Camry’s eyes meant but before he could ask Presea spoke up.

“But why are they attacking the Magic Knights?” she seemed unsure still.

“Because they are being ordered to.”

“By whom?” Lantis leaned forward a bit resting an elbow on his knee.

“Lady Impreza, one of the strongest willed on the other side. She commands them, though from where she gained such power only she knows…” Camry left the sentence hanging making Lantis wonder that perhaps he did have some idea but was not going to share it.

“This Impreza, what is her reason for this, they are all from Cephiro are they not? Why would they want to harm their own county?” Presea asked her hand coming up to comb through her long pony tale.

“She seeks revenge and she can think of none better than destroying the world that destroyed a person precious to her,” Camry cracked his knuckles each finger popping one by one and let out a heavy sigh before plowing on.

“Her brother was the Pillar…and she watched as it slowly destroyed him. He fell in love with a sorceress at the time and in the end they both met their end with his Magic Knights. Impreza was strong like her brother; she had the will to become the Pillar but not the heart. So she failed the test and became even bitterer and consumed by hatred. She hates Cephiro for what it did to her and her brother. It’s a deep-rooted hate, long has it festered and long has she waited, slowly biding her time until she could find her chance.” He stopped, pondering for a moment and then continued.

“She was not always as she is now, but her hatred has consumed her, like a bitter poison eating her away, it destroyed her soul until only an embittered angry shell of a woman was left. Her hatred and rage are all she has left and that’s all she clings to, she has nothing to lose and it makes her dangerous…But for now she’s not the main problem.”

“And why is that?” Clef asked.

“Because although there are many failed Pillar candidates on the other side they are not the only ones she can send…”

0

0

0

Impreza ran her fingers over her water mirror sending soft ripples across its surface. “Such a handsome young man he his, this warrior of Autozam, and so frightfully strong.” She gazed into the mirror for a moment and then waved the image away.

“Milady you called me?” Sentra came forward into the room and stood before her mistress.

“Yes…I want you to cross over again to obtain something for me.”

“What might that be milady?”

“The Autozaman I want you to bring him to me.”

“Yes milady” Sentra bowed.

“Oh Sentra…” Impreza called after her in a strange sing song voice.

“Yes?”

“Take Elantra with you instead of your sister.” Impreza smiled sitting down on her throne.

Sentra frowned, her fists clenching tightly. “Would that be wise lady, she is reckless and has no honor.” Elantra was know for underhanded tactics and took joy in breaking people, figuratively and quite literally.

“Don’t fret my dear Sentra; Elantra has her uses even if she’s not one of us. She has exactly what you need for this mission.” Impreza ran a finger along the rim of a glass of wine she had just poured.

“What may that be Lady?” Sentra asked as she heard someone come up to the left of her.

“Unadulterated hatred with no mercy for anyone or anything…” Impreza perfect lips pulled softly into a smug smile and took a sip of wine. She’d created that hatred within her and was quite proud of her little monster. “My little darling would you like to go out?” she turned her gaze to the door.

Elantra came forward from the doorway. Her dark hatful eyes, a deep shade of violet, purified hatred at its finest, stared forward. Medium curly brown hair hung wildly, like a Medusa’s head of hellish snakes. “So I get to go out and play today?” she asked in a sickly sweet voice.

“Yes, but do be a dear this time and bring him to me alive. I have use for him.” Impreza turned one silver eye toward the woman. “Understood?”

“You’re no fun Impreza!” Elantra wined. “It’s no fun when I can’t kill it…or do I get to break it? Can I break it, please, please?!”

“You’ll get your chance my dear, just you wait and see. Just you wait…”

0

0

0

Umi rolled over in bed with a sigh. Her mind tumbled over the days events and refused to turn off. “I’m never going to get to sleep” she said aloud to the ceiling. Finally she stood, picking up her navy blue robe and shoving her arms into the billowy sleeves.

She walked down the hall silently passing by door after door on her way to the kitchen. Everyone else seemed to be sound asleep she sighed wishing she could join them.

After a moment she had the strange, eerie feeling that you get when something is right behind you. She felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up and then suddenly someone grabbed her shoulder from behind.

“Umi?”

She let out tiny and very high pitched “Meep!” and whirled to face whatever it was. After a second of stunned silence she let out a heavy breath in relief, “Eagle what are you trying to do, scare me to death?!” she hissed.

“Sorry!” The commander withdrew his hand apologetically, “I didn’t mean to frighten you, but what are you doing out here at this time of night?”

“I was about to ask you the same question. I’m going to the kitchen for a snack, you want to come?” She asked as she tried to swallow her heart back down her throat form where it’d lodged itself. ‘How did he sneak up on me like that?’ she wondered. ‘Freaky solider thing I guess, I thought I was going to die…’ she sighed.

“I’ll come, I’ve been wondering where the kitchen was anyways. I got a bit lost trying to find it the other morning” he smiled slightly embarrassed.

“I know took me forever to remember how to get around here” she motioned him to follow her down the hall. “So what were you doing walking around in the hallway?”

Eagle was silent for a moment, “Just couldn’t sleep is all, you?” he answered quickly.

“Same here, too much going on in my head to go to sleep” She flicked a strand of blue hair and waved the matter aside.

The two of them descended down into the bottom level to the kitchen and Umi told him to wait for a second and she’d be back.

After several long moments she returned carrying a tray with a teakettle of warm milk and something that looked vaguely like a cross between teacakes and cookies. Eagle eyed the little cakes for a moment and then delicately reached over and snagged one. Popping it into his mouth he murmured approval of the sweet.

“Hey! Can’t you at lest wait till we sit down somewhere!?” Umi glared up at the commander who was busy trying to swallow.

“Sorry, I’m overly fond of sweet things…” He rubbed the back of his head and grinned sheepishly.

Umi sighed, that grin was just too cute to stay annoyed at, “Come on we can eat in your room” she rolled her eyes trying to pretend to still be annoyed at least. Eagle followed her down the hallway like a faithful puppy being enticed by treats.

In a few moments both of them were sitting comfortably on the window seat in Eagle’s room.

“These are really good” Eagle ate another cake.

“Want some?” Umi offered a glass of milk. ‘I’ve never seen a grown man eat sweets like this. I bet he was bouncing off the walls as a kid’ she smiled at the thought of a young Eagle running around hyped up on sugar. Nearly made her giggle just thinking about it.

“Thank you” He reached forward and took the glass.

“My mother always gave me warm milk when I was little to help me sleep so I thought it might help.” She sighed as she slowly drank the warm liquid. Slumping back into the cushions she yawned, the warmth of the drink spreading through her chest.

“Oh?” He looked at the glass for a moment but then set it down.

“Is something wrong? Do you not like…” she looked up apologetically but stopped. Perhaps because it had been dark in the hallway or perhaps she just wasn’t looking before but she hadn’t realized until now how exhausted he looked.

Tired golden eyes gazed at her quietly; dark circles that looked more like burses rimmed them. He was a little pale too, even his posture spoke of his body’s ache for rest. He’d acted so cheerful, she hadn’t even noticed. “Eagle?”

“Hum?” he raised an eyebrow at her query.

“Are you alright? You look so tired, your head wound hasn’t become infected has it?” she reached forward her hand going to his forehead. “You don’t feel hot; I guess you don’t have wound fever…”

Eagle reached up and took her hands from his forehead and held them gently, “I’m alright you don’t need to worry.” Her blue eyes narrowed a bit, she wasn’t going to buy it. “Really,” he insisted, “I’m fine.”

Umi’s glare sharpened and she frowned deeply. “I swear…” she shook her head and moved closer to sit right in front of him folding her legs to her side, “You and Hikaru are the worst!” She snapped at him and her blue eyes swirling like a stormy sea.

“Me and Hikaru?” he asked confused wondering what’d he’d done to earn the unholy wrath of the Knight of Selece.

“Yes, all this “I’m fine” business, there’s nothing more meaningless than one of your “I’m fines,” both of you are too worried about everyone else to ever worry about yourself!”

She seemed quite livid about the whole thing and even though her anger stemmed from her worry it did no less make it any less furious. “Why can’t you ever just say what’s bothering you?” she jabbed an accusing pointer finger at him to add emphasis.

Eagle frowned at how accurate her statement was and sighed a bit looking out the window, “I don’t want to make any of you worry for my sake.” Suddenly he felt her grab his hand and he looked back to her. She had reached forward; her face was only a few inches from his.

“Yes if you’re hurt or something is bothering you I’m going to worry, but it makes me worry even more if you don’t tell me and let me help you!” her hand squeezed his tightly.

Her face suddenly grew very sad and her features softened a bit, “No one belongs to only themselves, all the hardship you suffer and your pain when you allow yourself to take a burden alone, those who care about you suffer too, because they don’t want to see anything happen to you.”

The storm in her eyes had quieted and she continued, her voice very soft, “When you’re hurt they hurt too because they love you and want you to be happy. They want to help you and share the burden, just like we all now share the burden of upholding Cephiro. When you don’t tell me what’s wrong I feel like you don’t trust me.” There was a pleading sound to her tone; she wanted him to open up to her as she had to him.

Eagle never ceased to be amazed by the wisdom this young woman. All three knights had wisdom far beyond their years, forced to grow up far too quickly.

He smiled in a humorless manner, ‘Lantis was right I am a hypocrite’ He reached forward and pulled the blue haired girl into his arms, “I’m sorry Umi, I do trust you. I just wanted you and the others to be happy. I guess when you try to protect the people precious to you and get so caught up in making sure they’re safe you forget their worries of you.”

Umi was a little caught off guard when he pulled her to his chest, his strong arms holding her tightly, but she returned the gesture. Her arms tied around his neck as her heart throbbed in her chest in double time, it just felt right, to be held by this man.

After a moment he slowly loosened his hold and allowed the girl in his arms to pull back. She did but not completely and gazed down at him blue boring into gold. One delicate hand came up and a slender finger traced the shadow beneath his eyes. He felt them drape closed.

“Will you tell me what’s wrong? You’re so tired that you look ill” she pleaded once more.

“Well, I haven’t slept any really…” Eagle found it a little hard to form a coherent sentence with her so close to him; her fingers were cool under his eyes. He forced them open; she was close enough for him to smell the fresh floral scent from her hair.

“You haven’t slept at all? You mean last night?” she shifted and sat by his side.

Her movements made the air stir with her smell stunning him for a moment; he blinked trying to collect his wits before he looked completely foolish. “No, I haven’t slept any…since I woke from my coma” he smiled weakly.

“You haven’t slept…in three days?!” Shock and worry flittered across her features.

“None at all” he shrugged.

“This is serious Eagle you might be sick again. You’ve been awake for three days and we were in a fight, you need rest.”

“No I’m not sick. The reason I haven’t slept isn’t because I can’t but…” he seemed drawn, worried about something.

“But…?” Umi encouraged gently.

“I want to go to sleep but if I do…” he gazed at her asking with drawn, blood shot eyes to understand.

“You’re worried about going to sleep and not being able to wake up again?” she asked, her eyes softened in understanding.

He nodded lightly. “It’s almost funny, of all the things I’ve face in my life, all the battles I’ve been in and the thing that scares me the most is going to sleep.” Laughing darkly he ran a hand across his face, “I know I need sleep, my whole body aches for it even as I sit here but every time I start to drift off…” shaking his head he leaned back.

“Eagle…” The Water Knight gazed at him a moment and then reached for his hands and gripped them gently in her own. “I…I’ll stay here…if you’d like” she offered shyly her face flushed a little and she looked down at his hands. “That is if you don’t mind…and…” she looked up again this time her eyes strong, almost defiant, “I promise I’ll make sure you wake in the morning.”

“Umi…” his lips tugged into a soft smile, his eyes tender and very light in shade, an almost liquid butterscotch color. He pulled the girl close to him again, “You really are such a good person.”

Umi buried her face into the warm fabric of his shirt and her hands clutched the soft material at the small of his back as his arms found their way around her waist.

She was glad to have repaid the kindness he’d shown her in her time of need but another part of her knew this was much more than just repaying a debit. She was falling for him and falling hard and in the back of her mind she knew it but for now she didn’t need to worry about exactly what she felt for him.

He was holding her and that was all that mattered.

Neither of the made a move to separate or uttered a single word so they just stayed that way. It didn’t take long before Umi was asleep; her head rested against his chest and she moved slightly with each rise and fall of his breath.

Eagle stifled a yawn, shifting slightly and tightening his hold on the girl as she slept. He’d almost forgotten what this felt like, the comfort of another warm body next to your own. He’d not slept with someone next to him since he was a very small boy and would sleep next to his mother’s side.

Watching her sleep he smiled slightly, ‘Always have to be right…don’t you Lantis?’ he thought. Holding her this close, he sighed; he swore he could feel her in his soul. Her aura was stronger than ever, powerful and yet calming like the sea.

He yawned once more and lowered his head down on hers, sleep was winning the battle. But perhaps he was letting it, how could he worry if he had an angel sleeping in his arms? With that last comforting thought tired golden eyes slid closed.

Sleep at last.



An: Aww, aren't they cute? This chapter was going to be a bit longer but I thought this was a good stopping point. I wanted this chapter to end on a up note because if you read the little preview in the last chapter you know its about to get a bit dark. So that's why I cut this chapter a bit and pushed the dark stuff to the next one. Oh and I have one last present for you, an Omake! So enjoy, it made me giggle to write it and it was origanlly part of the story and it was cut due to pacing but it was too cute to throw away.

Omake: The Pillow Wars

Eagle had just passed Fuu’s room to go to his own and heard the start of the uproar. Stopping for a moment he wondered what all the shrieking was about.

Then there was a thud followed by more shrieks and giggling. This was only added to by a loud proclamation of “Ok you’re going to get it now!”

With another thud, “You’ve got room to talk miss ever so innocent, I seem to recall someone got her first kiss from a certain tall, dark, handsome Cail just two wee…”
That sounded like Umi but it was cut off by a loud thump and “oof!”

Staring at the door he wondered if he should save Umi from an untimely death. He considered poking his head in to see just what they were doing but then…Closing his eyes he read their auras much the same way he had when he was asleep.

Hikaru was as hyper as ever, Fuu was still a little weak but the impromptu battle between the three was lifting her spirits and Umi’s aura was brighter than he’d seen it yet. All three were, for the moment, very happy.

His shook his head, ‘Na, I’ll leave them be…hopefully no one will die from whatever it is they’re doing.’

Just as he made this assessment there was quite a loud crash.

“Ooh you broke it Hikaru, you’re such a klutz sometimes.”

“You threw the pillow Umi. Sorry Fuu… we’ll get you another lamp”

“Oh its alright, I’m sure its fixable”

Eagle stared at the door a moment longer and then shook his head going to his room,

‘Keyword…hopefully…’

Next time- "For the fragile glass like substance that is the soul...is so easily broken. So...lets break you shall we?"








Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment