Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - SkyClan

by KingArthur93 and RobinHood92

Chapter 1 - SkyClan

Chapter 1 - SkyClan
Chapter One

SkyClan





Wind rushed, the water twisted as if in its final death throws. The dark storm clouds shed tears of sorrow as thunder boomed angrily across the sky. Waves rose high, as their white crests swelled in size until they were thrown unto a lonely beach on a smallish sandy island. Pepper, a small gray black spotted she-cat, fought to stay above water her green and blue eyes looked to the sky hoping for her tiny paws to hit solid ground once more. She thought she heard her friend Birdie but couldnt see her. Coughing and spitting out water Pepper stretched out her paws and swam all the harder. Birdie! she screamed loudly. But the black cat was not there. Birdie! Bird where are you? she called once more, her rasping voice barely notable over the crash of the waves.

A wave crashed over her head, shoving Pepper down deep into the watery depths of darkness. Pepper struggled to the surface trying to get her breath, but completely unable to. Gasping for air Pepper was again thrown head over tail on a swell. Swimming to the surface the small gray she-cat took a desperate gasp of air, she was almost at her end, soon she would not be able to go on, not another paw stroke.

Time went on and on, Pepper reached out her paws each time expecting it to be the last. Time and time again she was thrown under water by a huge wave crashing in over top of her, but each time she somehow managed to stay afloat. Pepper looked up at the dark cloudy sky and breathed, Help me!

All of a sudden Pepper felt tiny bits of gravel under her paws. Overjoyed the small she-cat reached down again and began to push herself towards what she hoped was shore. As the water grew more shallow Pepper began to make out a beach, waving grasses, and tall trees whipping in the wind. Land! After hours in the cold water Pepper had made it! She had made it to land!

A final wave pushed her onto the shore. Exhausted all Pepper cold do was craw a little further on shore before collapsing gratefully down onto the ground she had thought she would never feel again. Pepper closed her eyes and tried to keep her breathing level, but could not. The throbbing in her paws had become worse ever since she had been ripped from the rocks of her seaside home where she had lived happily until now. Pepper shoved back the thoughts of home, and concentrated on trying to get to sleep. Taking a deep breath Pepper curled her small body up into a ball and although she was shivering and hurting slowly drifted into slumber.

Pepper had no idea where she was. Where Birdie was. Where he home was. Who lived here? What was there to eat? Fresh water. Shelter. All those things that back home had seemed unimportant now were the things that would mean the difference between life and death for this young cat.



Sunlight touched Peppers sore and weary body. The sound of the waves were loud in her ears but yet she did not move.

Pepper! Pepper, wake up!

Pepper did not move.

Birdie gently poked Pepper.

Pepper moaned pitifully.

Come on Pepper, wake up!

Pepper twitched but made no reply.

Frustrated and worried, Birdie jumped on top of her friend.

Shocked and alarmed at being leaped upon, Pepper reacted accordingly and clawed her friend.

The two friends were soon fighting and playing, happy to be together again.

Birdie! Where were you? shouted Pepper as she lovingly nuzzled Birdies head. I was so worried!

You were worried? You were the one that wouldnt wake up! Just imagine how I worried I was.

Pepper shrugged. In the storm I thought you drowned!

Well, were okay now.

YEAH! But& now what are we going to do?

I really have no idea.

There was a strong gust of wind, blowing the cats fur back and roaring in their ears. Suddenly Pepper looked up. Birdie& she said quietly, her eyes fixed on a clump of grasses. I smelled something.

What do you think it is?

I dont know, said Pepper taking a step nearer. Lets go check it out!

Okay.

Slowly Pepper inched toward the outcrop of grass. I hope it is a snake!

Uh, I dont.

Maybe its a mouse! Im super hungry! said Pepper.

Do you even know how to catch a mouse?

I dont know, it shouldnt be too hard, I saw a lion catching zebras on TV last week. It didnt look that hard.

Yeah, but youre not a lion.

So, same concept!

Maybe, whatever.

Catching mice is hard, said a strange voice. Rabbits are even harder. I sprained my paw the last time I tried for one of those.

Birdie was stunned and surprised. h- Whore you?

Slowly two ginger colored ears emerged from the grass blades. No one.

YOU must be someone! piped up Pepper peering at the other cat horrendously.

But if it wasnt someone then it would be no one and nobody doesnt have a voice.

My& the cat paused, looking at Pepper and then back at Birdie. My name is IvyFoot& Who are you? he continued trying to sound brave.

Um, my names Birdie and this is my very best friend Pepper.

You shouldnt be here! said IvyFoot loudly. A patrol could come by any time now!

Well, said Pepper. Where do you say we should go? Back in the sea with all the fishes and sharks?

No! I just& Dont know what to do with you. I mean you are on SkyClan land.

Wow! I dont know what that means.

You dont? asked IvyFoot amazed.

Uh, no not really

There are four Clans on this Island, said IvyFoot. SkyClan is my birth clan; there is ForestClan, MeadowClan, and NightClan. I cant believe you dont know that!

Well, weve never really been here before.

Yeah! said Pepper. We were blown here in a storm from where we live.

Wheres that? asked IvyFoot.

I dont know exactly.

If you live on the mainland I guess you wont be getting back there anytime soon, Kittypets dont swim well Ive heard, and I guess thats what you are, so why dont you just stay here.

What are you talking about?

IvyFoot flipped back his ears infuriately. You are a Kittypet. I am a ClanCat. You live with two-legged. I live with SkyClan. You cant get back so I said that you can come back to Camp with me.

Ah.

Im asking you to join my Clan.

Really?

Yeah, dont sound grateful whatever you do! said IvyFoot exasperated.

Sorry, thank you so much!

IvyFoot snorted. WildStar may not let you in.

WildStar, whos he? asked Pepper.

Yeah, whos he?

WildStar is only the greatest leader ever, and the leader of SkyClan! said IvyFoot as he began to gather the plants he had been collecting. And if he doesnt like you& well lets just get going.

IvyFoot turned and leapt away. The two other cats hurriedly following him off through the tall waving grass. As they ran Birdie suddenly realized that her paw was hurting and she was having an extra difficult time keeping up.

Wait up! I hurt my paw! Birdie yelled ahead at Pepper and IvyFoot.

IvyFoot skidded to a stop and turned. Just like a Kittypet! He pushed a sympathetic Pepper aside to look at Birdies injured paw. With a sigh he said, I cant do much about it here, do you think you can make it back to camp?

I dont know, how far is it?

Not too much father, Im the Medicine Cats apprentice so after WildStar sees you Ill look you both over. Im sure after spending all night out in that storm you both will get colds!

Thanks for the confidence in our health... AHHH-CHOOO!!!

Well, I guess I could make it. Thank you again.

IvyFoot shrugged and again started off through the forest his plants carried in his mouth. The tall trees looked down on them grimly making Pepper quiver. They were in a strange place, with this strange cat. Could she and Birdie really trust him? Was IvyFoot really telling them the truth?

"We're almost there!" called IvyFoot back at them. "I'll take you to see WildStar first then I'll take care of Birdie's Paw. How are you doing Birdie?"

"I feel like my paw's about to fall off," Birdie complained.

IvyFoot did not reply only kept walking with an added swiftness. The three cats reached a slight rise and began to jog up it, the forest trail under their paws making soft sounds as the old dry leaves broke and crumbled. Struggling along Birdie and Pepper worked their way up the hill panting and gasping for breath as cold wind blew in their faces. Then they were at the top.

"See I told you you'd make it!" said IvyFoot with a smile. "This is SkyClan Camp! Over there is the Medicine Cat Den, that's where I live, and over there the Warrior and Apprentices Den as well as the nursery where the Queen's and Kits are. There's IceWind SkyClan's Deputy he'll know where WildStar is come on!"

Lightly IvyFoot leapt down the hill and into the grassy clearing that made up SkyClan Camp toward a very large gray tom.

"IceWind," said IvyFoot. "I found these two Kittypets on the beach, what should I do about them?"

Well, gee, are they all right? You better get them somewhere they can rest up. WildStar probably wont be very happy, but he just left to go somewhere and didnt tell me where he was going, just to look after the camp while he was gone, and I dont think hell be back for a long time. I guess someone ought to get them something to eat, but I cant, Ill find someone to do that and after that you can tell me everything that happened and maybe after that we can -

Ill do that sir, interrupted IvyFoot loudly. Ill go take care of them now and come and tell you all about it later! Okay? Okay! Good bye Sir. Ill talk to you later.

Okay, well Ill go get someone to get some food, I wonder if theres any left from this morning, if there isnt who should I get? Maybe, LeafyFace and BramblePaw or FoxHunter and SkyPaw or 

You do that. Wonderful! Great thinking! Ill go and take care of them now, said IvyFoot backing away from the deputy. So Ill see you later Sir! Then glancing at the two friends whispered, Quick, get going before he starts in again!

IceWind looked, unconcerned at the retreating cats and continued mumbling about whom to send hunting as he walked away toward the Warriors den.



Hey, IvyFoot is that you out there? Youve been gone much longer than I expected, HollyGaze the black and white Medicine Cat called.

Yeah, its me, said IvyFoot leading the way into the welcoming Medicine Cat Den. I found two Kittypets on the beach and one of them is hurt.

AHHH-CHOOO!

And sick.

Well, well just need to fix that. IvyFoot get me poppy seeds and cobwebs. HollyGaze said, looking at the young cats. She continued to look them over and diagnose them with all sorts of little problems that were really not all too important, but took care of Birdies paw and their colds with her medicines.

About midway though Birdies cure a small tortoiseshell she-cat limped painfully into the mouth of den and sat down with a long dreadful sigh.

Goodness, what did you do now? HollyGaze asked irately.

The green-eyed she-cat looked up at them with tears in her eyes. Im not cutout to be a mentor! she said loudly, with a wailing quality to her voice.

HollyGaze sighed, Seriously, what happened?

Battle practice with BramblePaw, he beat me to a pulp in a matter of moments.

Well no wonder, laughed IvyFoot. Hes so fat he could crush the greatest Warrior without even trying!

Well, you better let me have a look at you. Where does it hurt?

EVERYWHERE! screamed LeafyFace furiously. I dont care what you do with me! Leave me here to die alone! Just as long as I dont have to have anymore battle practice, death will be a great relief!

No need to get all, dramatic, you arent going to die as long as Im around. said Holly Gaze. Now get over here, and Ivy foot, take these two Kittypets somewhere to sleep, itll be much too loud in here and theyre already falling asleep on their paws.

IvyFoot glanced at LeafyFace and tried his best NOT TO LAUGH at her, although event the mere sight of her made him want to fall to the ground and laugh very hard. Come on, he said flicking his tail at Pepper and Birdie. Theres a nice spot just outside the Camp where you can sleep until WildStar gets back. Ill be right back to help you HollyGaze.



YOU DID WHAT?!?! exclaimed the very angry WildStar later that evening.

Well, they were sick, and IvyFoot brought them back to the camp anyway, and they just looked so pathetic and helpless. I figured since they were already there anyway I couldnt just get rid of them just like that, especially with everyone there watching and everything, I might as well help them at least until I came and found you since you obviously need to  

Shut up IceWind! You had no right to even let them into the camp! What were you thinking?

Well, like I said they were already there when IvyFoot came and told me. I was busy and couldnt be watching every single cat that came into camp. In fact, Im pretty sure I left someone in charge of that, oh, who was it, oh, yeah, I left NightPaw to do that. IceWind replied feeling much more sure of himself.

YOURE APPRENTICE ?!?!

IceWind cringed, all of his confidence leaving him Well, everybody else was busing doing more important things and hes been a lot better about paying attention and doing his job lately, I thought it would be a good opportunity to test him.

WildStar rolled his eyes. By now NightPaw will be miles away from here playing with LightPaw and ThornPaw!

It wasnt my fault! It-it was IvyFoots for bringing them here. He found them, he brought them here. I only told him that youd have to see them and I told him you wouldnt like it, but he didnt seem to care, so I said just to take care of them till you got here and then wed deal with the problem but then you got back and got all mad at me and I told you they were sick and you told me to shut up and I said I was busy and that NightPaw was watching the entrance and you got mad at me again and then I told you it wasnt my fault and that it was IvyFoots and  

Shut up! shouted WildStar walking quickly away from his deputy. Just shut up and tell me where they are in a short, comprehensible, sentence!

Outside camp, to the left.

Thank you! shouted WildStar as he ran off in that direction.



Birdie lay sleeping in the long grasses just outside SkyClan Camp, her black fur moving slightly in the light wind. Pepper lay awake, with her blue eyes just slits watching IvyFoot hunt around the grass clump for peppermint.

Hi IvyFoot, said Pepper.

Hi, IvyFoot said.

What are you doing? asked Pepper getting up to see what he was doing. Are you looking for something?

Yes, I am. Just another of HollyGazes many missions for me to find some herb or plant for her.

Yeah, said Pepper unsure of what to say. Thats nice.

IvyFoot couldnt think of anything to say, so he remained silent.

Thanks for saving us, said Pepper following IvyFoot closely.

Oh, yeah, really, you shouldnt be thanking me.

What do you mean? asked Pepper looking into IvyFoots eyes. I dont understand.

Im sorry, but I couldnt help it, I felt bad for you out there, all alone, but seriously, you were probably better off out in the wilderness than you are here.

IvyFoot youre not making any sense, what are you talking about?

Look, I shouldnt have taken you here; I should have known it wouldnt work. I just acted on impulse I guess. But the point is, WildStar isnt going to be happy about this and you could easily be in a lot of danger here if he gets mad. Most Clan cats dont like Kittypets, especially WildStar.

Valiant speech IvyFoot, you can think on controlling further impulses while hunting for the Elders for a half moon!

WildStar!

Yes, Im back! Now go about your task!

Yes, sir, IvyFoot walked quickly, and worriedly away.

And now for you! snarled the large gray tom. I dont care who you are! Or where you came from! You dont belong here! And I will stop it!

Peppers eyes got very large at the sight of the huge gray tom snarling at her she backed up and stepped very hard on Birdie. Birdie run! said Pepper loudly as her friend woke up very suddenly.

It wont do you any good! growled WildStar his eyes flashing with rage. Suddenly WildStar seemed to lose all track of all sanity, snarling the huge tom arched his back and began to move towards them. Frightened Pepper backed even farther running into Birdie and tripping on her. With one powerful movement WildStar had both Birdie and Pepper on their backs pined to the ground. Raising a huge paw with huge shining caws full extended.

Dont touch them! yelled IvyFoot, running between WildStar and Birdie and Pepper.

Get out of my way IvyFoot!

Suddenly HailStorm darted in front of everyone. WildStar stop! Just think for a second. Think what youre doing! The clan needs strength; this is not the time for something like this!

Get out of my way! You may be my brother HailStorm but I will not stand for the braking of the Warrior Code!

The Clan itself is more important than the Code and you know it! The Clan could use young cats like them now. The other clans are growing greater than us; even today we dealt with invading patrols. You cannot do this.

I am the Leader and this is my Clan! shouted WildStar, beginning to tremble.

And the Leader should make decisions that help the Clan when it needs it, not pass up opportunities. Dont you see, just what weve needed has walked right into our camp?

WildStar backed up, breathing hard, the wild look in his sea blue eyes lessening until he was nearly gone. HailStorm? said WildStar confused. What are- why are you staring at me for?

WildStar why dont you go get some rest, youve had a busy day. Dont worry about these cats here; Ill take care of them. Just go, maybe have a lengthy conversation with IceWind, Ill take care of everything, said HailStorm.

Slowly WildStar backed away a paw step, unsure and very confused, as if he had almost not been there ready to kill Pepper and Birdie moments before. Alright, he said slowly regaining his confidence. Match these two with Mentors and have them ready tonight for the ceremony, he continued, completely back to himself once more, and without another word jogged off towards Camp.

Alright, acknowledged HailStorm, turning to the frightened young cats behind him, Hey, are you alright? Im sorry about WildStar, dont tell him I said this, but he really loses it sometimes, as youve noticed. Oh, and by the way IvyFoot youd better go tell HollyGaze about what happened here.

Im supposed to hunt for the Elders, said IvyFoot, still recovering from the shock of actually doing something heroic.

Forget it, WildStar probably already has too anyway, said Hailstorm, Just go tell HollyGaze. Then, turning once again to face Birdie and Pepper as IvyFoot darted off, its okay now, WildStar isnt going to hurt you, he wasnt himself back there. So, what are your names anyway?

Im P-Pepper, said Pepper standing very slowly. And& and this is my friend, Birdie.

Hello, my name is HailStorm. I am to match you with Mentors so you can be trained to be Warriors, so Ill need you to talk to be a lot about yourselves so I can make a good match.

Many hours passed, while HailStorm slowly calmed the two cats down. After a time, HailStorm began to really know the two before him, Birdies thoughtfulness and Peppers boldness. Pepper was determined and outgoing, while Birdie was kind and loving. Speaking softly HailStorm learned all about them and after the sun began to set had matched them with Mentors. As the first stars of night began to appear HailStorm stood and looked them both in the eye.

It is time, he said gently. This is the last day you will be known by your names you came to the Island with, you will be given new names and be given to a mentor to learn to be Warriors among us. Come, I hear WildStars call.

The two young cats followed him thought the long grass and into the clearing of SkyClan camp. Already almost the whole clan was there, circled around a largish rock protruding from the ground where WildStar stood. Among the cats Pepper picked out IvyFoot, his ginger and white coat standing out from the other darker cats. HailStorm leapt up onto the rock, and whispered in WildStars ear, glancing at them from time to time. Nodding, WildStar sent his brother back among the other cats where he sat beside IceWind and HollyGaze. WildStars gray coat shone in the moonlight, the true picture of a star, hear on earth.

When all the cats had fallen silent WildStar spoke, Never before has SkyClan been in such great need before, even on this very day a NightClan patrol has been seen on our land, there has never been a time when SkyClan has been in greater need of young Warriors to carry on the fight. And so today we will name two young cats as SkyClan apprentices. They may be outsiders but none less able to fight for SkyClan.

Birdie, he said loudly, as the black she-cat stepped forwards. From this day forward, until you have earned your warrior name you will be called, EbonyPaw. You will be mentored by my brother, HailStorm.

Birdie raised her head high, and then as HailStorm came and stood beside her she dipped her head then, by instinct rather than being told EbonyPaw licked his shoulder.

Pepper, said WildStar turning his eyes upon her. From this day forwards, until you have earned your warrior name you will be called, PepperPaw. Your mentor will be WindRunner.

A black and white tom emerged from the crowd and stood beside the small gray she-cat and turned his kind green eyes upon her. Slowly Pepper touched her nose to his, breathing in his scent deeply, memorizing it in her mind. They were a part of SkyClan now.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

RobinHood92 on March 17, 2009, 7:00:43 AM

RobinHood92 on
RobinHood92YAY!!! It's up!!!
I love Role-playing with you KA!!!