Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Hunting

by KingArthur93 and RobinHood92

Chapter 2 - Hunting

Chapter 2 - Hunting
Chapter Two

Hunting



Sun shone down upon SkyClan camp brightly, encouraging small spring flowers to render their petals and share their color with the world. The wind from the sea blew strongly, sending the smells of spring into every cats nose, young kits ran outside their den, playing and laughing, while their mothers watched them closely. Warriors ran through the woods and along the beach on patrols, as those with apprentices battle practiced in the meadow outside the clan. IvyFoot and his mentor walked the woodland trails, looking for plant to restock their den.

PepperPaw and EbonyPaw were with their new mentors finding the scents of the other clans. HailStorm and WindRunner showed them the place where NightClan had been hunting the day before on SkyClan land and made them study the scents they found there. All the time they were around the Snake Rocks inspecting NightClan scent both HailStorm and WindRunner stayed on watch, constantly scenting the air for a possible NightClan attack. The danger they could possibly be in was lost upon PepperPaw and EbonyPaw, they didnt really understand the trouble their new Clan could be in.

When the sun was nearly at its zenith the four cats turned back to the forest walking along SkyClan border looking for game, HailStorm had spotted a woodland rabbit when EbonyPaw darted forwards and before HailStorm could even blink had captured the rabbit between her paws.

What do I do with it? she called back looking worriedly back at her mentor.

HailStorm laughed and stepped in and killed the rabbit for her. With a few words of praise urged her to continue on. PepperPaw tried her luck at catching a bird but ending up with a paw full of feathers. WindRunner laughed kindly at her and directed her on stalking; she tried but ended up waving her short tail in the air comically. For the rest of the day the new apprentices had hunting practice, EbonyPaw killed two more prey, while PepperPaw captured nothing.

Back at camp LeafyFace lay lazily in the sun, resting her battered body peacefully away from her apprentice and mocking friends. Feeling the warm sun on her dark fur LeafyFace turned over on her back and let the sun warm her belly.

What are you doing? asked a voice above her. Shouldnt you be out with BramblePaw?

Sleeping in the sun, Med Cats orders, said LeafyFace opening her eyes. Is that you WildStar? I cant see you with the sun behind you like that.

Yes it is, said WildStar almost laughing. Mind if I sit down?

No, as long as you keep quiet, said LeafyFace curling up again for a nap.

I just saw you sister, she is doing very well.

Im glad& muttered LeafyFace. I hope your kits look like you.

WildStars eyes gleamed proudly. SpottedFur will do well I hope.

LeafyFace sighed. Uh huh.

Do you remember when you first became a Warrior?

I wish I could forget it, said LeafyFace loudly. You pestered me night and day.

I was in love.

With four other she-cats at the same time as me, muttered LeafyFace. Im glad you settled on SpottedFur, she is very pretty.

You are right, said WildStar. But I still think about us.

Thats nice, Im going for a walk, said LeafyFace rising quickly.

Dont go, begged WildStar.

WildStar, there is no more us, so you can just forget it, said LeafyFace beginning to walk away. Why dont you take BramblePaw out for battle practice? Hed like that.

WildStar stood and was about to follow her, but stopped, she was right and he knew it. Turning he walked away to find BramblePaw it would be good to see how the young cat was doing.

Quickly LeafyFace ran down the trail and towards the beach. She just had to get away from WildStar and the Clan for a time, to be by herself just for awhile. Coming to the sandy beach wind whipped along the waters blowing back her fur from her face. Walking out into the sand LeafyFace began to walk along the shoreline looking out to sea and watching the sea birds sweep and dive at fish down below them.

Hello there, said a voice suddenly, LeafyFace started. I didnt mean to startle you, said the cat again.

Oh RobinHeart, said LeafyFace coming eye to eye with the handsome red tom. I didnt see you& am I on MeadowClan Land? she asked fearfully.

You are, said RobinHeart evenly.

I am so sorry, Ill leave.

You dont have to, said RobinHeart his white tipped tail twitching. Stay awhile, I dont mind.

Alright, said LeafyFace slowly. How is MeadowClan, I havent been to a gathering in a few times.

Its alright, said RobinHeart, he was deputy of MeadowClan and his father, LionStar was the Leader. NightClan has been hunting on our land, Im out patrolling.

With no one with you? asked LeafyFace shocked. Really RobinHeart, arent you talking chances?

The tom shrugged. I can take just about anything I meet, he said, not in the least arrogantly. I like to patrol alone.

How is your apprentice?

AshPaw is alright, how is BramblePaw?

He beat me up yesterday, said LeafyFace laughing. WildStar went out with him today; it will be nice to see the results.

RobinHeart laughed, licking one of his white paws. Yeah, it will be.

For a time there was silence as they looked at each other.

Just over the rise WindRunner was watching as PepperPaw tied for the hundredth time to catch prey. When she missed, yet again, he showed a tight smile and said, Good try PepperPaw. Lets go over it again.

PepperPaw groaned. Not again, I know what to do its just doing it!

HailStorm and EbonyPaw wandered up to the distraught apprentice and her mentor. Hey PepperPaw, said EbonyPaw. How come you havent caught anything? I thought you were an expert at this, like the lions with the zebras, you thought it would be so easy and I didnt, but we seemed be just the opposites.

Now EbonyPaw, you are doing remarkably well, but that doesnt mean you need to brag about it, reprimanded HailStorm.

Yeah, said PepperPaw loudly. I almost had that last one!

Uh huh, sure you did, said EbonyPaw sarcastically. You couldnt even catch your own tail!

Suddenly PepperPaw lost it and dove at EbonyPaw with all her might. Take it back! she snarled pinning EbonyPaw to the ground. TAKE IT BACK!

WindRunner and HailStorm were both taken by surprise buy PepperPaws sudden aggression. PepperPaw! exclaimed WindRunner. Killing your friend is not a nice thing to do!

WindRunner tried to pry PepperPaw from the top of EbonyPaw but couldnt. Help me HailStorm! called WindRunner as PepperPaw attacked him as well.

Im not getting any closer to that thing while shes like that!

Please PepperPaw, get off! Im sorry, youre a great hunter really, you just havent caught anything yet, EbonyPaw pleaded loudly. The squirrels just dont appreciate your talent.

Stop PepperPaw! Right now! yelled WindRunner, as he tried to pin PepperPaw down. Hissing and snarling the young cat twisted from under his paws and stood back bristling. Stop PepperPaw, clam down! said WindRunner, rubbing a scratch PepperPaw had inflicted on his nose. Are you alright EbonyPaw?

Yeah, my paws hurting a little again, but Ill be fine, EbonyPaw replied. Where did that come from PepperPaw? Ive never seen you fight like that before!

I never had to before, said PepperPaw letting her fur lay down. Im sorry. I was angry. My Family is just like that, she said quietly, ashamed of her anger.

In the future I believe both of you should try harder to control your actions and your words, HailStorm admonished evenly. Yes Sir, said the apprentices simultaneously.

Lets go back to camp, said WindRunner as he whipped the last bit of blood off his nose. Hey whats that?

Whats what? said HailStorm.

I smell MeadowClan, said WindRunner gravely.

HailStorm sniffed the air. Over here, he said indicating the direction they should go. Quietly the four cats began creeping up the rise.

Lower your bottom PepperPaw, WindRunner whispered.

PepperPaw did as her mentor advised as they reached the top and looked down at the two cats below them.

What is she doing here with him? said HailStorm.

It looks like hes talking to her, said PepperPaw.

Quite, said WindRunner. Keep still and watch.

I should go, said LeafyFace below them, unaware she was being watched. It was nice to see you RobinHeart.

Why are you afraid? asked RobinHeart following her. Do you think WildStar will find us together?

Yes, and if he, or anyone else did I would be in for it! snapped LeafyFace. And besides I do need to go.

Or are you afraid of me?

LeafyFace stopped. Im not afraid of you RobinHeart. I saw you watching me the last time I was at a gathering.

I know, said RobinHeart sitting down gracefully. You were watching me back, if you dont remember.

LeafyFace blushed. I was. Do you mind?

No, I dont. Do you?

No& but I should.

I know, said RobinHeart. Since you where an apprentice Ive watched you. You are a very nice cat LeafyFace, if you didnt know.

And what do you know about me? said LeafyFace lifting her chin.

Well, replied RobinHeart thoughtfully. Your kind, a good hunter, intelligent, good humored and above all loyal to your Clan.

You know all that about me? exclaimed LeafyFace.

And more, but I wont go into that, said RobinHeart his beautiful blue eyes shining. I have to go soon, a patrol should be by soon, continued RobinHeart standing up. His well groomed coat glistened in the sunlight while, his fit body strong beneath it. Send WildStar MeadowClans greeting. Good bye LeafyFace, it was very nice to see you again.

Good bye RobinHeart, said LeafyFace softly as he walked passed towards MeadowClans camp. Good hunting to you and your Clan.

Thank you, said RobinHeart looking back at her one last time. The same to you& LeafyFace.

LeafyFaces big green eyes followed RobinHeart as he trotted across the beach and thought the short grass bordering it. As the last of his tail disappeared among the grass blades LeafyFace felt her heart quiver. She was beginning to fall for that handsome red tom with the sparkling blue eyes. I cant let myself feel like this! thought LeafyFace as she slowly walked back to Camp. I just cant start liking him, hes a MeadowClan cat, Im from SkyClan, it wont work. It cant work. He is so nice though, very nice. Not looking back LeafyFace gatherer herself and started to run down the path away from RobinHeart and her feelings for him. She would forget him in a day or two.

Well! exclaimed WindRunner standing up from behind the grasses. What do you think of that HailStorm?

 "It looks like trouble, trouble we should forget we ever saw."

"Who was that big tom?" asked PepperPaw glancing at her mentor.

 RobinHeart the deputy of MeadowClan," said WindRunner beginning to walk back towards camp. "His father, LionStar is the Leader of MeadowClan. He is a strong fighter and a noble deputy. HailStorm, I really think he meant no harm to LeafyFace." 

"You're probably right, but I can't help feeling like somethings not quite right. It's probably nothing. Lets go."

"Right," said WindRunner beginning to jog after HailStorm. "And you two say nothing of this to anyone."

Running along behind their mentors EbonyPaw and PepperPaw exchanged glances, both wondered about what they had seen, a Warrior from their new clan speaking with a cat from another, enemy clan. But both knew, despite all they did not know, was that this conversation between LeafyFace and RobinHeart must be kept to themselves.



The four cats entered camp a short while later.

"Can we go see IvyFoot?" EbonyPaw asked her mentor.

 "Sure, go ahead," HailStorm replied. With that, the two apprentices dashed off towards the Medicine cat's glen.

"IvyFoot!" called PepperPaw loudly running across the camp to the cave mouth. "IvyFoot! Weve come to visit you!"

Hi! said IvyFoot, looking up from tending the woesomely wounded WildStar.

Shut up all of you! snapped HollyGaze glaring at them her green eyes shining in the dim light. Cant you see that WildStar is injured?

Its alright, said WildStar trying not to show how much BramblePaws claws had hurt him. Im fine HollyGaze.

No youre not! snapped the black and white she-cat. Alright IvyFoot, quit giving me that sad look! Go outside and play with your friends! But be back before night fall!

Thank you, said EbonyPaw, Come on PepperPaw, lets go play with IvyFoot.

PepperPaw and IvyFoot followed EbonyPaw out of the Medicine Cat Den and out into the small patch of grass beyond the camp. Laughing and chattering the three friends darted through the grass playing and hunting each other. After awhile they grew tired of playing and all sat down in the grass to groom each other in the fading light.

Im so glad we came to SkyClan! said PepperPaw as she began to purr loudly.

Me too! said EbonyPaw.

Im glad you came too, said IvyFoot, looking at PepperPaw.

PepperPaw started to turn red, trying to hide her smile.

Im tired from all my successful hunting today, said EbonyPaw, Im going to rest and sleep.

Shut up you! snarled PepperPaw loudly, getting up to follow EbonyPaw to the Apprentices den. Ill see you later IvyFoot!

Wait, Ill go with you! said IvyFoot, following quickly.

PepperPaw paused for a moment, waiting for IvyFoot and together ran after EbonyPaw. Darting across the dim camp PepperPaw saw HailStorm and some of the other Warriors talking over the days happenings. HailStorm was a very kind cat, and had the best in mind for his Clan at all times.

Hey SplashPaw, these are the new apprentices PepperPaw and EbonyPaw, said IvyFoot to a small gray tom sitting outside the apprentice den.

Hi, said SplashPaw glancing up at them. I saw you last night& but I& the whole Clan was there and&

Hes kinda shy, said IvyFoot to PepperPaw and EbonyPaw.

EbonyPaw smiled kindly, Hi SplashPaw, its nice to meet you.

Hi! said PepperPaw yawning. Im pretty tired; I think Ill go to bed. See you later IvyFoot.

EbonyPaw yawned too, Those yawns are contagious, I think I better be getting to sleep too.

Good night IvyFoot, said PepperPaw looking back at him. Good Night SplashPaw, it was nice to meet you.

Yeah, said SplashPaw smiling. Maybe tomorrow& ah& we could go& hunting?

Ill go hunting with you if I can, but if we brought PepperPaw along, shed be more of entertainment than any help actually catching anything. said EbonyPaw giggling.

Fine! Go without me! shouted PepperPaw her fur starting to rise. I dont care! Ill just stay here where I am wanted! Ill stay here with IvyFoot!

Fine! Youd probably scare all the prey away anyway! EbonyPaw yelled back.

FINE!!

Fine!

Would the both of you just shut up? I thought you were so tired, said IvyFoot, loudly over the yelling PepperPaw and EbonyPaw.

Sorry, it was just a joke, said EbonyPaw.

Whatever! snapped PepperPaw her short tail twitching. Im still not hunting with you two!

SplashPaw, who had ducked down into the long grass during the fight, peered out from among the grass blades and said, I dont& I dont mind.

Thats okay SplashPaw, I dont think she wants to come with us, said EbonyPaw.

I dont blame her, said IvyFoot.

With fire in her blue eyes PepperPaw turned and walked into the den to speak no more to her friend, at least for that night by the next day she would most likely forget her anger.

I ought to get back to HollyGaze now, said IvyFoot. Good night SplashPaw, good night EbonyPaw, see you guys tomorrow.

Good night, said EbonyPaw.

Sleep well, said SplashPaw his eyes following IvyFoot as he walked slowly back across camp to his home in the Medicine Cat Den. Sleep well EbonyPaw.

Sleep well, she answered smiling, and the two walked into the den to go to sleep.



It was morning. The sun shone on the clear waters of the sea, sending little shimmering waves over the beach in rushing patterns. The wind blew softly, making the grass dance gently. The waters of the Blue River were cool and crisp under the shadows of the forest bordering MeadowClan land.

RobinHeart was among those shadows. Watching the beach with his keen eyes for the only cat he loved, LeafyFace. He hopped she would come to the beach, like she did almost every morning; he loved to watch her playing in the water or walking along the sand. He still wondered why he had stepped from the shadows of his own Clans land the day before, whether it was a thoughtless action or something he had been planning in his depths of his heart he did not know.

Suddenly a sweet sent touched his nose, his ears pricked and his breath came a little more quickly, it was LeafyFace. Carefully the red cat crept closer to the river bank, still staying in among the shadows RobinHeart set his mind to wondering as he watched LeafyFace running in and out of the crashing waves. He did love her, knew that it could never be, knew that everything was against them, but still he loved.

An hour past, the sun rose fully, watched by the lovely eyes of LeafyFace, standing upon the wet sand, her nose was pointed to the east, ever watching the sun rise above the dark horizon. Waves slowly slept in and out, their noise gentle and calming bringing peace to LeafyFaces restless mind. As large the large golden clouds began to turn white as the colorful sky paled to blue LeafyFace turned and walked slowly back to camp.

As her lovely sent drifted past RobinHearts nose he slowly stood and stood on tip paw to even glimpse her fluffy tail waving as she walked down the path to SkyClan Camp. She was gone far too soon for RobinHeart; his eyes ached to see her, his paws hurting just to touch her, his heart braking to love her. Slowly the red tom walked from the shadows and leap across the river and into the grass leading up to the beach. Well into SkyClan land the MeadowClan deputy slowly walked along the beach towards where his love had been. Carefully he stood before her paw prints, looking out to the sky as she had been only moments before. He looked down to the sand, seeing those beautiful paw prints clear in the wet sand. Her sweet sent wafted up to his nose as he leaned down and gently placed his paw beside that of LeafyFaces print.

RobinHeart sighed, tying not to think of what could be. His heart was breaking inside, pleading to be released to show his affection, but he kept it back. He had to withhold his feeling for her for LeafyFaces sake, for her alone. Slowly RobinHeart took a deep breath of LeafyFaces fading sent and turned. Gathering himself the strong tom darted away and leapt back across the Blue River back to his own land, he had work to do.



Even as RobinHeart watched LeafyFace on the shore four other cats raced through the woodland on an expedition of their own. SplashPaw and EbonyPaw had successfully convinced their mentors to hunt together that morning.

"Hey," whispered EbonyPaw quietly SplashPaw, "I think I smell a rabbit." She easily stalked, chased, and captured her prey, carrying it back in her teeth.

"That was... so... so... so great!" exclaimed SplashPaw a mouse and small bird at his paws. "I could never get a rabbit like that EbonyPaw!"

"Really? Do you think so? I think you're doing great," replied EbonyPaw. "I don't really know why I seem to be so good at hunting, it just happens."

"Honestly HailStorm, you're definitely doing something right with that apprentice of yours, she's a natural," commented RedHawk.

SplashPaw smiled awkwardly. "Thanks for saying that about... about me. Thanks."

Youre welcome SplashPaw," said EbonyPaw.

Suddenly SplashPaws ears pricked. Looking towards the nearby beach he drew in a quick breath. "EbonyPaw, I... I think their seagulls on the beach..." then he looked to RedHawk, his mentor. "Maybe... maybe we could chase them?"

"Well, you have caught plenty of prey already," replied RedHawk, "I don't see why not."

"Thank you!" shouted EbonyPaw running off over the grassy rise with EbonyPaw. Laughing and playing the two darted though the grass and over the beach. Chasing the white and gray gulls the two apprentices shouted and called to each other mocking the way the birds squawked and flew at the sight of them.

"This is so much fun!" shouted SplashPaw throwing back his head. "Come on Ill race you to the Blue River!"

"Wait!" EbonyPaw yelled ahead to SplashPaw, who had already taken off running. "Come back here and look at these in the sand!" SplashPaw dashed back to her as EbonyPaw pointed to something in the sand. As he got closer he saw that it was just paw prints.

"So? We ran all around here."

"They're not ours, smell them," EbonyPaw insisted.

Slowly SplashPaw bent down and sifted the large paw prints. "Your right..." whispered SplashPaw his face growing very pale. Slowly he raised his head his light blue eyes peering deeply into EbonyPaw's purple ones. "Their RobinHeart's..."

SplashPaw, can you keep a secret? asked EbonyPaw hesitantly.

I& I guess, he said slowly, backing away carefully. What& about?

About this, she said, looking down at the paw prints again. Yesterday, when PepperPaw and I and our mentors were out hunting, we saw LeafyFace and RobinHeart talking. We thought it was just a chance meeting, but if theyve been together again&

SplashPaws eyes got very large. Youre kidding me& I mean& there to-together& that I so& so& so wrong! What if& do you think& maybe there& I mean& it could be-

Yeah, I know, but you cant tell anybody. I mean anybody. No one else can know, EbonyPaw said urgently.

Okay& Ill keep it. I& I like you a lot EbonyPaw.

Oh& thanks. I like you too.

SplashPaw smiled awkwardly then gently nuzzled her cheek. Thanks for being& my& my friend!

SplashPaw! EbonyPaw! Come on now, weve got plenty other places to go today! shouted the distant voice of HailStorm.

SplashPaw glanced over at EbonyPaw and then turning ran off after her up the slope and through the grass to their mentors. Racing along SplashPaw looked back, he wondered what would happen if WildStar found out about LeafyFace and felt fear for her. Somehow he hopped it would all work out for them, the lovers, LeafyFace and RobinHeart.


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment