Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Many Happenings

by KingArthur93 and RobinHood92

Chapter 3 - Many Happenings

Chapter 3 - Many Happenings
Chapter Three

Many Happenings



Wind raced along, howling loudly in IvyFoots ears, sand was picked up and driven into his legs making them smart. Above him the sounds of the sea birds could be heard, screeching at the harsh wind. All was darkness around him, all was blackness, the sound and touch of things were the only sensation he seemed to have, and the light scent of the sea in the distance as its roaring grew stronger. Confused and frightened IvyFoot started to run, tripping over bent grasses and drift wood as he went. Feeling he could evade the darkness somehow IvyFoot gathered all his strength and bolted forwards, the sand under his paws flying up behind him as he ran. All of a sudden the ground beneath him gave way and he tumbled and fell down the slope to the beach. When he finally came to a stop IvyFoot slowly sat up, looking around him fearfully, totally confused and disoriented.

What are you running from? asked a voice before him.

IvyFoot looked harder and finally saw something, a light grey cat sat there. The darkness& Who are you? he asked, feeling more and more confused every second.

My name is MoonLeaf, said the strange cat. You are confused about the darkness young cat?

Well, yes, you& the darkness, you see it too?

MoonLeaf slowly stepped forwards and placed his paws upon IvyFoots eyes. Fear it not little apprentice for it will not hurt you. Carefully MoonLeaf bent and touched his nose to IvyFoots head, then backed away, leaving the Medicine Cat Apprentice his sight.

How did you do that? asked IvyFoot as the darkness faded and the world around him blurred back into focus.

The strange cat smiled. That is for me to know and you to find out, said MoonLeaf his black eyes dancing with fun. Now young cat, look out upon the waters, what do you see?

Our camp is being attacked! IvyFoot cried out in alarm. By, by NightClan cats. MoonLeaf nodded gravely. Once friend is enemy. Once brother is now traitor. Beware of your feelings, they will betray you. Clans will fight, but no blood will be spent. Words are your weapons keep your claws at bay. Gathering to speak anger will flare; keep the peace young one, or the price your clan will pay.

What? What does that mean? I dont understand, said IvyFoot.

Slowly the image of fighting cats faded away from the sea, turning it back into its deep blue waters. MoonLeaf looked to the sky then back down at IvyFoot. You will know in time. Now, I must go. Blessing go with you IvyFoot of SkyClan.

Slowly all around IvyFoot faded once again into darkness, but not like the first darkness. It was calm and peaceful, softer than the harsh darkness before, and restful.

IVYFOOT!

Huh, what? IvyFoot jerked awaked suddenly.

Wake up sleepy head! snapped HollyGaze loudly, her green eyes shining in the morning light. Get up or I wont let you play with that PepperPaw anymore! Shes rattled the little brains you have I think!

But, wait, whered he go? IvyFoot said, still half asleep.

Where did who go? asked HollyGaze, suddenly interested. Tell me what youre talking about!

The-the grey cat, um, MoonLeaf! Thats his name! Yeah, said IvyFoot.

HollyGaze sat down right in front of her apprentice, her green eyes brilliant. You had a dream?

Oh, well, yeah, I suppose it was a dream... he trailed off.

Tell me, very slowly and in detail, what happened, said HollyGaze softly and almost gently. Dont be afraid.

Well& there was a grey cat who introduced himself as MoonLeaf, and we were by the sea, he told me to look out to sea and tell him what I saw. And our camp was being attacked by NightClan! Then he told me a bunch of confusing stuff about enemies and feelings and some confusing stuff about fighting without bloodshed and anger and something about the clan paying a price if I didnt keep peace. He said a lot and I dont understand most of it. IvyFoot explained, leaving out the part about the darkness. That was just strange, it wasnt really important... probably.

HollyGaze stared at him for a moment then glanced away. Is that everything? she asked solemnly. You must tell me everything, every detail is important.

First he said there was a friend who was really an enemy, a traitor, thats the first part, said IvyFoot as the words began to come back to him. Then he told me not to trust my feelings. Third he said there would be fighting without any blood being spent. Fourth he said to fight with words and not claws, and then that speaking anger would flare, and last what I mentioned before, about keeping peace, or the clan will pay the price, but once again he left out the darkness.

HollyGaze slowly looked back at him. Youve done well IvyFoot, StarClan must be pleased with you to entrust you with this message. MoonLeaf was my mentor when I was small, she said slowly. He was a kind old soul when he died. It took me many, many moons to find an apprentice as it did him, but I do believe I have found a fine one. It was worth the wait. With a sigh HollyGaze stood up. Come now, we must tell WildStar of your dream, then I think your little friend will want to play with you, after her patrol with WindRunner. Tonight is the gathering; I think it would be good for both of you to go.

Okay.



Far from the SkyClan Camp, near the far end of the island, there was a rocky place. Tall and cold looking, the Place of the Rock was the home of the islands biggest and most feared clan, NightClan. Lead by a ruthless leader NightClan had risen far above the other Clans in the many past moons. BadgerStar had lead NightClan to the uppermost reaches of power where even the good sized clan, ForestClan with their vast land and plentiful prey, had little influence among the clans. Then very suddenly, and rather mysteriously, BadgerStar passed on into the arms of StarPelt. After his very sudden death, BadgerStars young daughter, SliverCloud, took the leadership from her fathers deputy, TigerShadow. It had been nearly a moon now, since her fathers death, and the young SilverStar was not about to let the power of her clan die with her father.

Standing outside of NightClan Camp the slender she-cat sat at a place known as Star-gazing rocks, looking out over the darkening lands below her, other Clans lands, richer, more plentiful lands. Bitterly she sighed, thinking of her thin warriors, famished after a long hard winter, she herself was more skin and bone than anything else. Ignoring all that unpleasantness the Warrior Leader turned her face towards the wind and let it blow away her worries as the blue sky slowly turned pink under her ever watchful gaze.

Then tonight is the night SilverStar? hissed a tiger tom coming up behind her. We attack tonight?

The voice of her deputy brought SilverStar back to reality, her problems were real, and she had to deal with them. Yes, she replied.

The tiger tom slowly began to circle his leader, and then sat down beside her looking out at the gradually darkening sky. Do you really think this is the way to show our power to them?

If you think you have a better idea feel free to tell me, but Ive thought about it, and this is the decision I have come to.

TigerShadow sighed and then bowed his head. If this is what it has come to I will prepare the Warriors. Who should we take? I was thinking SnowTrack and AspenFrost would be fine leaders among the Warriors.

AspenFrost will be good, but although SnowTrack has been exhibiting impressive skill, he is still young and I do not believe he is ready for such leadership. I will have StormyPelt lead with AspenFrost; she should handle the responsibility well.

TigerShadow snorted loudly. You think I know not my Warriors? Ive lived among them many more moons than you!

SilverStar narrowed her eyes at her deputy, disregarding his reasoning, Do you doubt the judgment of your leader?

No& he said, somewhat subdued. I doubt your experience as one.

I may not long have been leader, but I am leader nonetheless and I am such for a reason TigerShadow, SilverStar replied sharply.

TigerShadow, with ears back and tail twitching, backed down. I apologize for my& harsh words. I do trust you completely SilverStar. Forgive my anger.

For your words I do forgive you, but you need not say things you do not mean, said SilverStar. Now go, and find AspenFrost and StormyPelt. Together, you may choose Warriors that will work best with them during the attack. I will meet you at the border of MeadowClan near the Fallen Oak.

Yes SilverStar, I will have them ready, said TigerShadow slipping away towards the camp. We will meet you there before darkness comes.



LionStar looked out from the grassy mound that over looked his camp, towards the setting sun. It was nearly time to assemble his warriors for trip to the Gathering Place. Flipping his golden ears back the Leader of MeadowClan closed his eyes and let the wind blow the smell of spring to him. The grass below him waved and billowed while the wind pushed it. Here and there the grass moved oddly, as the patrols came in slowly. LionStar sat up as he saw the patrol RobinHeart normally led. But as it dispersed into the Camp he did not see the red warrior he was looking for. Worriedly LionStar looked out over the meadows looking out for the red fur of the MeadowClan Deputy, but did not see it. Squinting LionStar saw RobinHearts apprentice, AshPaw. The fluffy grey tom trotted along at the rear of his Mentors patrol, his fur wet from river spray. He had the makings of a strong warrior, and would soon become one, but was still a little foolish and needed more training.

AshPaw! Come here! LionStar called to the strong apprentice. AshPaw hurriedly ran to his leader.

Yes LionStar? he asked respectfully.

RobinHeart has not returned yet. Do you know what is keeping him? asked LionStar anxiously.

I think he stopped near the Blue River just to take a quick look around, answered AshPaw.

His quick look is taking quite a while; go find him AshPaw, LionStar instructed.

Dont worry, Ill find him LionStar, said AshPaw as he darted off into the tall grasses to find his Mentor.

AshPaw trotted down the grassy hill. He liked LionStar little, his overpowering commands turning something inside him. RobinHeart and his father were completely different, LionStar ruling with all power while RobinHearts quiet confidence influenced those under him quickly into obedience. Running back along the way he had just come AshPaw picked up RobinHearts sent and followed it away from the main beaten trail towards the Blue River and SkyClan land. As he went he ran a little faster, LionStar would be angry if he did not return fast enough.

Thinking of RobinHeart AshPaw smiled, he dearly loved his mentor, to AshPaw, RobinHeart was like a second father to him. They were very close. He has spent many seasons at the Deputys side, learning from him and emulating his greatest hero. Nearing the Blue River AshPaw suddenly lost his Mentors sent. Confused the apprentice looked around. RobinHeart? he called softly, unsure of himself.

There was a slight rustle in the grasses and the next thing AshPaw knew he was flat on his back eye to eye with RobinHeart. Hi there Ashy! exclaimed RobinHeart with a grin. Got you that time! he said laughing as his apprentice struggled beneath him.

Hey! shouted AshPaw as RobinHeart let him free. AshPaw jumped on his mentor playfully. They rolled around playing and pouncing on each other in the grass. Finally they stopped to breathe. When AshPaw had caught his breath he said, LionStar was actually looking for you. He seemed pretty upset. He sent me to find you.

RobinHeart turned over on his back, his white belly covered in grass bits and mud. Lately hes been upset whatever I do. Im not surprised. Slowly RobinHeart looked up to the darkening sky. It is getting late. The Gathering is tonight& slowly the Deputy looked over at his apprentice. Youll be a Warrior soon.

Yeah, said AshPaw smiling. Im excited, but I wont see you as much. Ill miss you RobinHeart, murmured AshPaw quietly. Creeping close to his mentor AshPaw laid his head next to RobinHearts. Ill miss you, he repeated almost sad.

Hey, said RobinHeart with a smile, touched by AshPaws affectionate words. Youll be at my side all the way! I will need a strong warrior like you in my patrol! Dont feel bad, or scared. I was afraid to become a Warrior when I was young, but look at me now, Im a deputy! There is no real reason to be afraid of something new, only because its new, just be excited.

Thank you RobinHeart. But oh! We completely forgot about LionStar, hes gonna be so mad that were not back yet, said AshPaw suddenly.

RobinHeart leapt up. Come on then! Ill race you! shouted the deputy leaping off towards the camp. Im going to beat you! he called back as AshPaw came running after him. Through the grass they ran, laughing and jumping happily. No worry existed for them as they ran and hunted each other. Coming nearer to the camp RobinHeart saw his father standing on the rise. Resentment rose in his heart at the sour expression on LionStars face.

Go on and rest, said RobinHeart to AshPaw. I have to deal with my Father.

RobinHeart! called LionStar looking urgently for his increasingly wayward son. RobinHeart!

Then in among the grass LionStar saw the brilliant red fur of RobinHeart as he came late, yet again, home from his patrol. Hearing the sound of his father calling his name RobinHeart ran to meet him. Quickly he darted through the camp leaving AshPaw to rest among the other apprentices and onto the grass mound with a single leap.

Hello Dad& err LionStar& said RobinHeart, clearly distracted. How is everything& I mean with you?

Actually, Im getting awfully disturbed by how late youve been coming in from patrol, lately. You are supposed to be leading your patrol, not following it back to camp after doing who knows what, LionStar scolded his son.

RobinHeart flipped back his ears angrily. Im not a kitten anymore!

Which is exactly what Im getting at, you have responsibility. If you dont want me to treat you like a kitten dont act like one.

What? Just because Im late a few times youre on me? I know my responsibilities! And I have always upheld it with honor! I have fulfilled my duties since the day you named me Deputy! I take my position seriously! And you treat me like some dumb apprentice and not like the strong Deputy I am!

RobinHeart, you dont need to overreact. I would like only two things, one to know where youve been; and two; Id like to see you make more of an effort to show the Clan that you are this great deputy you speak of. You know youre doing your job, but youre not showing it to everyone else.

RobinHearts fur bristled up with rage. I dont have to tell you anything!

As your father and your leader I do have the authority to demand that you tell me, answered LionStar sternly.

RobinHeart said nothing, but turned his back quickly upon his father. Breathing hard RobinHeart flashed his claws in and out.

RobinHeart, what have you done that you would feel the need to keep it such a secret?

Ive done nothing!

Then where have you been? Why do you keep coming in late and disappearing?

Dont you trust me? Dont you think I can handle myself?

I would trust you a lot more if you would answer my question. Now I want a straight answer; where were you?

RobinHeart whirled around to face his father, fury flashing in his blue eyes. Feeling cornered and ashamed RobinHeart tried to look LionStar in the eye, but couldnt bring himself to.

Well?

I& I was patrolling near the Blue River, confessed RobinHeart reluctantly. And& and&

And?

Turning his face away RobinHeart, shame clear in his face, broke. Yesterday& I& I spoke with LeafyFace& on the beach&

So yesterday, and when else?

RobinHeart hesitated then with a long sigh said, Weve never spoke until this point, Ive been watching her since before I became Deputy.

Watching her?

How more plain can I say it? snapped RobinHeart. Im a grown cat! I dont need your questioning on top of everything else& slowly RobinHeart trailed off, his eyes looking past his father rather than at him.

On top of everything else what  what are you looking at?

For a moment RobinHeart did not reply. Eyes fixed on the darkening Meadows northeasterly edge, searching the grasses for the movement he thought he had seen. Suddenly RobinHeart picked out the movement, within moments he had counted them, and realized their origin. Dad& he said his voice very urgent, yet calm. There is about to be an attack. Ill take my Patrol around behind them and sweep after them into SkyClan. NightClan is about to show their power, I hope you are ready for it.

Right, Ill go and gather the Clan, said LionStar, already running down the slope towards camp.

RobinHeart was a few leaps ahead of his father as his strong body tensed for warfare. His whiskers twitched and his ears were flung forwards to pick up the sounds of the approaching enemy.

Attack! screamed the deputy loudly coming to a hasty halt in the midst of the Camp. Patrol to me!

Cats from every direction ran to the center of camp, RobinHearts patrol gathering around him calling out their presences. Looking over the many heads of MeadowClan Warriors RobinHeart spotted the small gray body he was looking for. AshPaw! he shouted as his small apprentice pushed his way through the gathering clan to his side.

Yes RobinHeart? said AshPaw, looking up at his mentor expectantly.

Youre not going to fight in his battle!

What? Why not? I can fight! argued the young cat.

Dont argue with me! snapped RobinHeart. Just do as I say! I want you to run as fast as you can to SkyClans Camp and tell WildStar that NightClan is forming an attack and to be ready. Then I want you to take another apprentice with you and go to ForestClan and tell DawnStar the same thing. Wait for me there out of the way. Do I make myself clear?

Yes RobinHeart, said AshPaw somewhat reluctantly. At least RobinHeart had a good reason for not letting him fight.

Then GO! Run and run fast I have no time to tell you again& Patrol! Patrol, away with me! with those final words the red tom picked his white paws from the ground and flung himself away through the camp, not looking back. His Patrol, a good third of the Warriors of MeadowClan, picked up their paws and followed their leader unquestioningly. As RobinHeart ran through the camp he spotted LionStar gathering the rest of the warriors for battle.

Disappearing in among the grasses RobinHeart lead his Patrol east in a huge sweeping circle. Flat backed the Deputy leapt along streamlined and powerful, listening for the battle cries of NightClan, which he knew would come. When RobinHeart reached a point even with the attacking NightClan he slowed to a stop, freezing dead still among the grasses.

BarleyFace, whispered RobinHeart as his Patrol came to a stop beside him. Be ready as soon as we hear their war cry we are going forwards to drive them towards SkyClan, there the bigger clans can help us stop them.

Got it Red Leader!

You freak, muttered RobinHeart lowering himself to the ground. Smiling over at his best friend, a calico tom with odd eyes, RobinHeart tried not to laugh. BarleyFace was the strangest cat in MeadowClan, but a good friend. Ready Patrol? he whispered back at them.

Ready! called back the rest of the Patrol.

RobinHeart stiffened as the NightClan war cry rang thought the meadow. Patrol& charge! screamed RobinHeart leaping from his hiding place. His Patrol leapt up as one body and charged after their Red Leader into the fight. Taking in a deep breath RobinHeart shouted out his war cry as he tackled the huge tiger tom he knew to be NightClans deputy. Taken by surprise TigerShadow fell hard with RobinHeart on top of him. Hissing and snarling RobinHeart pressed his paws to the bigger and older cats throat. Why are you attacking us? screamed RobinHeart fury in his eyes. TELL ME!

I do not have to tell you anything! snarled TigerShadow, his voice harsh and held back by RobinHearts powerful paws.

Suddenly RobinHeart was knocked from the NightClan deputy.

SilverStar! gasped TigerShadow as the lean body of his leader appeared beside him.

Maybe I should have left you at camp instead of SnowTrack, SilverStar growled at her deputy as she leapt at RobinHeart.

As soon as he had been thrown off of his prey RobinHeart landed on his paws and turned to attack the pretty she-cat. Not taken by her beauty and controlled only by his rage RobinHeart gave the young leader no mercy as he met her attack head on. Colliding head on RobinHeart overpowered the smaller cat pushing her back and to the side. Landing lightly he dove after her, she met him head on, reaching out a powerful paw the red tom delivered each of his four claws to their mark, SilverStars face. Screeching in pain the leader leapt back, and away from RobinHeart, then dove forwards and attacked him. Landing hard on top of him she bit down hard on anything she could get her teeth into. Landing hard bites to his shoulder, several to his side, and one well aimed one to his paw, now dripping with her blood. Enraged, RobinHeart pushed up hard and flung Sliver Star off of him. The blow knocked the wind out of her, and for a moment stood disorienting looking west towards SkyClan land. Unsure of what had happed she looked back and saw the wave of NightClan Cats running towards her, away from the MeadowClan Warriors. Among the leaders was TigerShadow RobinHeart on his trial.

Theyre too strong! shouted TigerShadow his speed gathering with each step. Run SilverStar! Well make a hit with SkyClan!

What do you mean theyre too strong? SkyClan has more Warriors than MeadowClan, what are you doing? said SilverStar, still not fully understanding what was happening.

MOVE! shouted TigerShadow running into her, pushing her forwards. Just keep going! SkyClan wont be expecting us! Well make a strong hit there to make up for this one! MOVE!



LeafyFace trotted back from the beach where she had been sun bathing. Glad that spring was finally here the young she-cat picked up her pace a little, tonight was the Gathering, she desperately wanted to go& to see RobinHeart really. She smiled; she wanted to see RobinHeart very badly, ever since she had spoken with him the day before she had wanted to see him, now more than ever.

LeafyFaces thoughts were suddenly broken by a loud voice and a blur of gray fur rushing past her. The blur slowed down and doubled back as it realized it had passed someone. As it returned it nearly ran into her. LeafyFace! yelled the now recognizable AshPaw. LeafyFace! NightClan is attacking! And I have to go tell WildStar instead of help fight. NightClan is attacking!

Slow down! soothed LeafyFace gently. What about NightClan? Tell me slowly and calmly.

NightClan is attacking! Anger showed brightly in the young cats eyes, Its my first battle; And Im missing it!

Great StarClan! shouted LeafyFace. NightClan is attacking? Why? Oh come on tell me as we go! Youve got to tell WildStar this!

As the two cats ran towards SkyClan Camp AshPaw said, I dont know, RobinHeart sent me to tell WildStar and said to go on to ForestClan with one of the apprentices and tell DawnStar too.

You really think they would attack all the clans? Never mind! Come on AshPaw, said LeafyFace as the two reached the rise over looking SkyClan Camp. Ill come with you to see WildStar. IceWind! IceWind, have you seen WildStar? asked LeafyFace pausing at the Deputys side.

Well, I dont know as a fact, but I have a good guess that hes in his den, because I saw HollyGaze and IvyFoot go in there a while ago and they havent come out yet. I cant imagine what theyd be doing if WildStar wasnt in there too. That would probably be the first place Id look, if hes not there, which, by the way, I dont think is very likely, I would look in the Medicine Cats Den, he was looking pretty beat up after fighting or training or whatever it was he was doing with that apprentice of yours, and if that wasnt the reason, Id look there anyway, you never know, he may have gone there with HollyGaze and IvyFoot when I wasnt looking. If hes not there-

Thanks, said LeafyFace. Oh by the way NightClan is about to attack, you should get the Warriors ready to fight. See you later IceWind, most likely after the fighting is over.

What? NightClan? Attack? Here? but the two other cats were already long gone.

WildStar! shouted LeafyFace running into his den, without waiting. WildStar!

LeafyFace stopped in the gloom of the rocky cave inset into the rise overlooking the camp. Trying to see thought the darkness the she-cat finally saw the fluffy shape of WildStar curled in his overstuffed nest with HollyGaze and IvyFoot standing before him.

LeafyFace? exclaimed WildStar, surprised. Whats wrong& is that AshPaw? Young RobinHearts apprentice?

Yes, said LeafyFace urgently. He was sent by RobinHeart to tell you that NightClan is attacking.

What?

I know. I told IceWind so he should be well clear by now. AshPaw is going on to ForestClan and one of our apprentices must go with him.

Ill go with him, IvyFoot said, thinking hed do something useful since he wasnt the greatest warrior in the world.

Are you sure? asked HollyGaze standing to her paws. You could be attacked on the way you know!

If we took a northwest route it would be almost impossible to run into anyone from NightClan, said AshPaw, And whoever does come, we need to go soon.

Then go! said WildStar pushing is way out of his den. Go with my strength and honor. Run well and fast. Tell DawnStar of what is happening and make sure he is ready for us.

And be CAREFUL! added HollyGaze loudly as the two cats ran off through the woods towards forest clan. I hope hell be alright& lamented HollyGaze.

Theres no time for that now HollyGaze, snapped WildStar. LeafyFace, find HailStorm and have him gather the Clan! Hurry!

Yes WildStar! said LeafyFace running off to find the grey tom. LeafyFace ran across the Camp her eyes watching for HailStorm. She glimpsed WindRunner out of the corner of her eye but saw only the new grey apprentice with him. She stopped and looked back at them. The little grey cat might know. WindRunner, called LeafyFace taking a few steps towards him. Have you seen HailStorm& its important!

WindRunner shrugged. Cant help you LeafyFace. Whats wrong?

Nothing but NightClan attacking! Shouted LeafyFace loudly. I have to find him! Tell the other warriors and have them gather in the center of camp for their orders.

Alright, consider it done! said WindRunner taking off for the warriors den PepperPaw with him.

LeafyFace sighed unsure of what to do next, then suddenly she heard the quick talk and easy laughter of a returning hunting party. HailStorm? she called running to the bottom of the rise. Is that you?

Yeah, said HailStorm as he entered the camp, Is there something you needed?

Thank the heavenly stars its you! shouted LeafyFace loudly, wanting to throw herself at him. NightClan is attacking MeadowClan and is headed this way! WildStar needs you like right now so& and hes gone& LeafyFace needed not to finish HailStorm left his Apprentice and ran for the center of camp. That was sudden& commented LeafyFace rather amazed. Oh, hi RedHawk, hi SplashPaw& and you are&. BlackPaw right? she asked looking puzzled at the black she-cat.

Actually, my names EbonyPaw, EbonyPaw said, trying to hide her annoyance.

Oh& I was close anyway& muttered LeafyFace. Hi RedHawk& I already said that& sorry Im just so FREAKED out! The battle and& everything& hey is that TigerShadow? WOW hes bigger than I remember& AHHHHHH!

Before LeafyFace realized who the enemy was the very large TigerShadow had her on her back with his claws pricking her chest.

I hate fighting! snarled LeafyFace diving up, aiming her teeth for his throat. Scratching and hissing the small Warrior was no match for TigerShadows bulk.

RedHawk was about to attack when the Deputy spoke, Dont you touch me RedHawk! Or Ill kill her!

I really hate fighting! screamed LeafyFace. RedHawk do something! Dont just stand there like an idiot!

One moment TigerShadow was standing over her with claws ready to strike her& well dead& and the next he was flying off of her and right into RedHawk. Before LeafyFace had time to scream, yell, hiss, or do anything it was over and a handsome red tom was popping up from the brush.

Sorry RedHawk I didnt see you there, said RobinHeart leaping away as his Patrol shot by. Hope I didnt hurt you little buddy! he called, referring to EbonyPaw. Nice to see a new face! Patrol charge!!

Wow& that was unexpected& said LeafyFace standing up.

You can say that again, said RedHawk.

Well come on! said LeafyFace running after the departing Patrol. Since youre alright to make a sarcastic comment like that! You can show DarkPaw how to fight!

MY Name is EbonyPaw!

Close anyway! COME ON!

When LeafyFace, RedHawk, and EbonyPaw came to the rise the battle was in full swing, with MeadowClan and SkyClan cats fighting the powerful NightClan. From where she stood LeafyFace could see HollyGaze standing solidly before the Nursery, to protect the Queen and Kits, not a living cat dared come near the strong Medicine Cat. WildStar and SilverStar were locked in battle, fighting with everything they had. WildStar was much larger than the slender she-cat but she was powerful and quick. Excited LeafyFace dove off the rise and landed hard on a cat about to attack SunStorm, her friend, from behind.

Hi Sunny! shouted LeafyFace diving into battle. Some picnic huh?

Hi and thanks for that back there, SunStorm answered as she leapt upon another enemy.

Did you see WildStar? asked LeafyFace, hitting a NightClan she-cat with all four paws at once. He doesnt look so good!

No I didnt, but with all his fury, Im sure hell be fine, said SunStorm, clawing at the cat beneath her.

Id better go, said LeafyFace as the cat she was fighting took off into the forest. From what I heard from RobinHearts apprentice RobinHeart is going to push NightClan through into ForestClan to finish them off! AND I am going with him!

Alright, Ill go with you! letting the cat she was fighting with follow his clanmate into the woods.

LeafyFace leapt off through the fighting, avoiding battles as best she could, looking for RobinHeart. After a time she easily spotted him fighting with a big she-cat from NightClan, at his side was HailStorm. The two strong warriors stayed together through the fight, commanding their patrols with shouted words and quick calls over the noise of the battle.

Suddenly LeafyFace stopped. Horror crossed her face as she saw WildStars limb body lying before SilverStar, TigerShadow beside her. Before she could stop herself LeafyFace had leapt over a few fighting cats and was racing towards them.

Get away from him! she screamed landing hard on top of SilverStar, knocking TigerShadow a few feet away. Snarling above the NightClan leader LeafyFace hand her teeth around the leaders throat before she could stop herself. SilverStar pushed her paws up against her neck, cutting of her breathing. Now it was a battle of endurance, skill, and time. Sooner or later one of them would give in, who it would be, neither of them knew.

LeafyFace& came WildStars quiet voice. Let her go& Im alright&

Slowly LeafyFace released her grip on SilverStar and accordingly SilverStar let her paws slowly down. But she didnt stay back long; soon she was rushing at LeafyFace, clawing her in the face.

LeafyFace screeched and leapt back away from SilverStar, eyes burning with rage. Staring at SilverStar with her bright flaming green eyes LeafyFaces fur bristled. Her body shaking with rage the small she-cat tensed for attack. WildStar behind her tried to stand but fell back weakly.

He cant fight! thought LeafyFace gathering herself to pounce. But I can&

The battle raged on below the rising moon, the fighting cats unaware of its presence above them. A small frightened apprenticed dodged around the fighting warriors searching for help and her mentor. Help HailStorm, where are you? called EbonyPaw, suddenly shouting in terror as huge snarling warrior leapt towards her. He landed on top of her, her back hitting the ground hard, Help! she cried desperately.

All of a sudden PepperPaw appeared out of nowhere, wild-eyed and panting the little grey she-cat plowed over a NightClan Warrior and pounced on the NightClan Cat on top of her friend. Beat it! she snarled attacking with the precision of an experienced Warrior twice her age. Snapping down hard on the other warrior shoulder PepperPaw let it escape without further injury.

You alright? asked PepperPaw looking down on the rather shocked EbonyPaw. You look pretty bad&

EbonyPaw just stared at her friend. Yeah, I guess so. Wow, she said, slowly recovering from the attack. Well, yeah. You did that? she continued, still slightly confused.

Yes& I guess so& said PepperPaw slowly. Hey! Look those other cats are leaving!

Did you do that too? EbonyPaw asked slowly.

NO! snapped PepperPaw as she started after them. But by the end of this I will!

RobinHeart had already gathered his Patrol and with HailStorm and his SkyClan Patrol the two were leading the following attack after the departing NightClan. After the cries of the running cats had died away the Camp was silent. As EbonyPaw stood to her paws she saw HollyGaze come though the camp and towards WildStars den. Slowly she walked towards them and saw WildStar sprawled out on the bloodied grasses, laying very still the Leaders chest was the only thing moving as he slowly breathed.

Hello EbonyPaw, said HollyGaze as the young Apprentice approached them. Dont be afraid. Hell be alright.

Really? EbonyPaw was skeptical, how could someone so beat up possibly be alright?

HollyGaze lay down by WildStars head, resting her head next to his own. In a few moments hell be alright. Come closer sweet one, something amazing is about to happen.

EbonyPaw did so and looked at WildStar wondering what HollyGaze was talking about.

Watch& whispered the Medicine Cat, her green eyes sparkling brightly.

WildStars breathing slowly was growing more labored, the light in his eyes slowly diming until little life was left in them. All of a sudden his weak body tensed and then relaxed as his lungs rendered their breath to the shining stars above. For several moments all around them there was a great calm, peace and amazing quiet. HollyGazes eyes never left the seemingly lifeless form of WildStar, watching for what she knew would come. Suddenly WildStar took in a sharp breath and opened his eyes. Coughing and breathing quickly the Leader tried to rise, but HollyGaze stopped him.

Rest for a while, she said soothingly. You have to rest. Stay quite. HailStorm and RobinHeart are leading the attack; you dont have to worry about a thing. Slowly she stood. You dont have many more changes WildStar, so dont be so reckless& please& for the Clans sake. Then she turned to EbonyPaw. Stay with him a while EbonyPaw, I have much work to do. I just hope IvyFoot got though alright.



IvyFoot and AshPaw ran through the deep woods of ForestClan. They went under ferns and darted around trees as they raced towards ForestClan Camp. Hey, do you smell that? asked IvyFoot, I think theres someone near.

You dont think its NightClan after all do you? asked AshPaw.

No, its definitely ForestClan, a she-cat I think, answered IvyFoot.

The two cats changed direction to follow the new scent. They came to a small glade of ivy where a ginger tabby sat, too lost in her own thoughts to notice the newcomers.

Excuse me, said IvyFoot, We have an urgent message for DawnStar, do you know where we can find him?

The pretty she-cat glanced up, meeting the green eyes of IvyFoot her own eyes growing wide with surprise. What are you doing here? she asked leaping up startled. Who are you?

NightClan has attacked MeadowClan and possibly SkyClan; weve come to warn DawnStar. This is AshPaw of MeadowClan, and Im IvyFoot, the Medicine Cat Apprentice of SkyClan, answered IvyFoot.

Oh& said the she-cat slowly. Ill take you to him then. Carefully she stood, her delicate paws making little sound as she left the ivy patch. My name is GoldenFrost. I think DawnStar is with his new kits and mate by the pond.

As IvyFoot stepped forward to follow, the night and added darkness of the overshadowing trees seemed to be broken apart by a sudden shaft of light shining down before him; faces of cats flashed before him, glowing with the light radiating from above, a grey and white face, only for a moment then flashing to a small ginger one, which immediately changed to a new face of a young blue-eyed cat, but all the faces faded into the lasting and well-known face of HollyGaze.

Well IvyFoot are you coming or not? called AshPaw.

IvyFoot was suddenly pulled from his vision, the light seemed to melt away into a place he could not find or go and he was surrounded by forest again, AshPaw and the ForestClan she-cat a good distance ahead of him already. Yeah, I- Im coming, he called back; running to catch up with them, his mind trying to cling and hold on to the faces hed seen.

Are you alright? asked GoldenFrost, glancing at IvyFoot from the corner of her eyes. You look kind of worried.

Im fine, I just& never mind, lets just get going, said IvyFoot, obviously distracted.

If you say so, said GoldenFrost kindly. Come on, were almost there.

They skirted the camp to get to the pond, which was to the north eastern side of it. They left the forest and came to a rocky bank that surrounded the large pond. The moon and stars shone through the tree branches, reflecting on the still surface of the pond. And just as GoldenFrost had predicted, DawnStar and FireFlower were there watching their four kits run and chase each other around. Hiding in shrubs and behind rocks, they scurried around and jumped on each other, playing and enjoying themselves.

As the three cats approached, DawnStar left his mate to watch the kits, and came over to meet them. GoldenFrost, what is going on? Who are these cats? asked the gray and black leader.

They are AshPaw of MeadowClan and IvyFoot the Medicine Cat Apprentice of SkyClan. NightClan has just attacked MeadowClan and may be headed this way through SkyClan. RobinHeart wants us to be ready for them.

GoldenFrost, go and tell BlackStripe to ready the Warriors for attack. And if you two would come with me Im sure FireFlower could use some help getting the kits to the nursery. GoldenFrost was already headed towards camp and DawnStar briefly spoke to his mate of what may come, leaving AshPaw and IvyFoot with FireFlower and the kits, so he could he could join his deputy preparing the clan for attack.

Hello IvyFoot and AshPaw. Thanks for your help, said FireFlower taking a fluffy white kit. They are a paw full.

AshPaw easily caught up with a tiny black kit, bringing it back towards its mother. IvyFoot was having a little more difficulty, the other two kits, who, oblivious to the worlds troubles, were chasing each other around a rock and every time IvyFoot stepped in to stop them they turned and ran to another rock to continue their play. Eventually he managed to catch a small grey kit when it tripped over a pebble in the dark and he carried it back to its mother. The final kit, realizing it had no one else to play with followed them.

In the end they managed to round them all up and get them back to camp where everyone was busy doing something to prepare for the coming assault. Once the kits were safely hidden within the nursery AshPaw and IvyFoot stood about wondering what to do next.

A large dark tom, who was rushing around giving orders to the dispersing Warriors with DawnStar, came up to them eyes shining with the anticipation of battle. You two, he said loudly, but not unkindly. Get hidden up on the ridge around camp, and prepare yourself for the attack.

Im just a Medicine Cat Apprentice, I dont know how to fight! exclaimed IvyFoot.

The cat looked at him oddly. Really?

Yeah, Ive never learned nor done fighting.

Well just go up there and keep out of the way! snapped the tom. QUICKLY both of you! NightClan has been spotted! Get moving!

AshPaw and IvyFoot climbed up the ridge overlooking ForestClan camp. I guess youre going to get that fight after all AshPaw, said IvyFoot nervously.

Yeah, Im glad too, I thought I was going to miss out.

I wish I could miss out, muttered IvyFoot quietly.

Hey look! said AshPaw his tail waving excitedly. Here comes NightClan! They are sure going to be surprised when all of ForestClan falls on them!

Yeah&



SilverStar with TigerShadow at her side, dashed into the completely deserted ForestClan Camp. Where is everyone? She asked to no one in particular.

Maybe theyve already left for the gathering! said TigerShadow looking around wildly. No it cant be that& he said trailing off as the rest of NightClan came up behind them.

Suddenly the confused NightClan cats heard the sound of battle cries as the ForestClan Warriors poured out on top of them. I think they knew we were coming, said SilverStar as she struggled to unpin herself from beneath DawnStar.

Duh!! shouted TigerShadow. Retreat!

No! Why? We could always regroup and attack again! said SilverStar desperately.

Too late! shouted TigerShadow, as he saw RobinHeart and HailStorm behind him. Here they come!



PepperPaw was growing very tired. She didnt know the way to the ForestClan Camp, and had long ago lost the other more motivated warriors from MeadowClan; all she had to go by was the strong smell of SkyClan around through the strange scent of MeadowClan. Running through the forest she wondered if she was really doing the right thing, but as she came out onto a slight clearing with the battling clans before her, she knew she had done right.

With a loud hiss of pure excitement she threw herself into battle, attacking anything from NightClan that moved. The dark coats and strong bodies of NightClan could easily be pick out from the more slender frames of her own Clan and that of the other two clans. She saw SilverStar and DawnStar fighting and even thought she saw WindRunner a few times but after that she was fully lost in the battle. Blood rushed loudly in PepperPaws ears as she gave herself to the pull of the battle. Fighting with all her strength the small she-cat took out all and every cat standing in her way. Hissing and mewing loud war cries PepperPaw knew little that surrounded her, taking on toms twice her size and defeating them only to go on to the next.



Meanwhile, up on the ridge, IvyFoot crept slowly from his hiding place, where the Warriors had left him minutes before, to peer cautiously down at the battle below him. DawnStar and SilverStar were fighting. The strong tom had the NightClan leader pinned beneath him, but SilverStar managed to throw him off somehow. She jumped on him and soon they were rolling in the dirt, biting and scratching each other.

Near the entrance of the camp HailStorm was fighting AspenFrost, they were pretty well matched, but it was obvious that the surprise attack from ForestClan had really thrown AspenFrost off balance. He aimed his claws at HailStorm's face, but HailStorm leapt up and raked AspenFrost's side with his own claws.

IvyFoot could not manage to miss RobinHeart's outstanding red fur among the warriors. RobinHeart was on top of TigerShadow. Two were fighting savagely, completely lost in their attack on each other. All around them, cats were fighting: clawing, biting, scratching, kicking; and for what? IvyFoot wondered. For power, show, control, defense, passion, bloodlust? How could they all be so caught up in this? If only there was some way for them to realize what they were really doing. When this was over nothing would be accomplished except for causing injury and destruction. Anger at all of them for being so stupid swept over him, he hated all this fighting; instinctively his fur bristled and his claws unsheathed themselves. He felt himself stepping closer to the edge of the ridge.

But as he did so he felt something holding him back; trying to tell him something. It distracted him enough to turn his mind from the battle below and wonder what this strange sensation was. As he did so, the feeling grew stronger, until it formed a voice whispering:

"Words are your weapons keep your claws at bay. Gathering to speak anger will flare; keep the peace young one, or the price your clan will pay.

Slowly, IvyFoot sheathed his claws. For with a sickening flash of knowledge, IvyFoot had suddenly realized what those words meant. There was a way that might make these warriors below him stop this fighting. He could go down there, tell them to stop.

But why should they listen to him? He didn't know about fighting, he was just a Medicine Cat Apprentice. IvyFoot suddenly thought of a million and one different things that could happen to him if he spoke up. But what would happen if he didn't?

...or the price you clan will pay.

Fear gripped him, he knew in his heart it was the right thing to do, and he had to do it, no matter how this ended. IvyFoot took a deep breath, then, collecting his thoughts, he dashed down the slope into the midst of the battle and cried out as loud as possible.

"STOP!"

There was total silence. Cats stopped in mid swipe at the suddenness of IvyFoot's call. And all eyes were on him.

Say something you fool! Don't just stand there; this is your only chance, IvyFoot thought to himself. Trying not to sound as awkward as he felt he began:

"Why are you all fighting? Did anyone threaten your strength or your ability? Did you, NightClan, honestly believe that by attacking the other clans you would gain their respect?" IvyFoot turned and spoke to all the cats around him, "And why do you fight? Is it to defend yourselves or your clan, because you enjoy the fight, to make yourself look good, or so you can brag about your victories? Does no one see how pointless all this devastation is?

These battles are a result of your anger, instead of talking out our problems, you let your hatred lead you to violence. And what do we have in the end? It doesn't solve the problem, it just destroys friendships, causes tension and distrust between the clans, and brings many injuries and wounds to all who fight them. All you are doing is hurting yourselves when you fight. Why do you continue this when you don't have to?

"We can talk these problems out, that's why we have Gatherings." As IvyFoot spoke those words suddenly every cat around him remembered that this was the night of the Gathering.


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment