Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - The Gathering

by KingArthur93 and RobinHood92

Chapter 4 - The Gathering

Chapter 4 - The Gathering
Chapter Four

The Gathering



The full moon shone down upon a small group of SkyClan gathered behind a slight rise before the Gathering Place. Storm clouds were slowly gathering in the west and at times covered the moon for short periods. The wind had a foreboding tone to it as the storm gathered strength for an attack.

WildStar, are you alright? asked HollyGaze, her green eyes glowing in the moon light.

Im fine! snapped the leader as he limped to a more sheltered spot. Leave me alone! Im fine!

Whos the Medicine Cat? You or me?

You never should have let HailStorm and RobinHeart go into ForestClan like that!

I had little to say about it! growled HollyGaze eyes flashing with anger. Besides you shouldnt be out here at all.

After an attack its important for the leaders to be united. Lets go down now, said WildStar painfully standing to his paws; No one else is here yet. LionStar will most likely be along shortly.

Slowly WildStar walked down the rise overlooking the Gathering Place. Down below them there was a clear pool into which a delicate waterfall fell. Near the pool there was a great stone by a wide grassy place which was sheltered by the surrounding forest.

Where are we? asked EbonyPaw, staring at the waterfall with excitement.

This is the gathering place, said HollyGaze looking down at the young apprentice. Every time the moon is full the Clans come together to talk.

Or fight, put in WildStar, glaring down at the waterfall.

All you think about is fighting! exclaimed HollyGaze. You came into leadership in battle, if you dont remember! I thought IvyFoots dream would sober you up a bit but I see it hasnt! Maybe your lost life will! WildStar you have little time left, I suggest you use it wisely!

Hes just an apprentice, HollyGaze, how much truth can be in his words? How does he know when StarClan is speaking to him? Hes too young!

A true Medicine Cat knows the voice of StarClan. Let us speak no more of it and go down to the Gathering. I sense MeadowClan coming.

HollyGaze was right, soon there was the crashing sound of cats running through the brush and LionStar emerged at the top of the rise. He and a group of MeadowClan cats ran down to meet SkyClan.

Hello WildStar, are you okay? You arent looking so good, said LionStar approaching the SkyClan leader.

Shut up! snarled WildStar Glaring at LionStar.

Okay! Gee, you dont have to be so grouchy about it! answered LionStar somewhat exasperatedly.

Where is your son? asked WildStar, avoiding the subject. I saw him in the battle before I& err& anyway hes grown into a fine Warrior, you must be so proud.

Oh, RobinHeart, Yeah, well, he is a great Warrior& I wonder when the other clans will get here? said LionStar, not wanting to think about this son.

WildStar smiled, despite his pain. Touchy subject huh?

Hey, we obviously both have some stuff to deal with right now, so lets just drop it! said LionStar irritated.

The grey tom lowered himself to the ground folding his paws under him. Im not a father& yet, so I cant judge you.

Yet? Will you be soon? said LionStar, happy to change the subject.

WildStar sat proudly. Yes my mate, SpottedFur is just expecting!

Really? Do you think they will come soon?

No, said WildStar dejectedly. We just found out about it.

Oh, then you have the wait to get excited, said LionStar.

Suddenly WildStar stood up, pain clearly in his face. The Warriors are coming! he said hobbling towards the other side of the Clear Pool. As the two Warrior Patrols Gathered by the edge of the pool, WildStar saw HailStorm standing beside RobinHeart.

Do you see IvyFoot? asked Holly Gaze worriedly. He must be there! Hes got to be alright!

Hes there, said WildStar softly. Dont worry sis, he looks all in one piece to me.

Hey, wheres PepperPaw? I cant see her anywhere! Said EbonyPaw panicked.

Shes there as well, HailStorm has her, said HollyGaze comfortingly.

Is she going to be alright? Please, HollyGaze come help her! cried EbonyPaw, running towards her friend.

HollyGaze followed quickly, making eye contact with Hailstorm as she did, his eyes told her how desperate PepperPaw had need of her healing paws. Hailstorm was carrying the limp body of PepperPaw. Her eyes were closed and as HollyGaze drew nearer she could hear the sounds of the young apprentices breathing over the sounds of the rushing waterfall.

What happened? asked HollyGaze pushing HailStorm aside. IVYFOOT!

IvyFoot walked forwards to HollyGaze, Yes? he said making an effort not to speak too quietly.

I am going to NEED you! Very badly with so many hurt& are you alright?

Im fine; do you need me to get anything for you? IvyFoot asked.

Settled down EbonyPaw! hissed HollyGaze starting to work on PepperPaw. Shell be FINE! Now stop hovering and go on with RobinHeart, HailStorm will tell me what happened.

RobinHeart got stiffly to his paws and started to walk around the clear pool. Come on EbonyPaw, he said as she slowly turned away from her friend. BarleyFace come with us.

With a will, without hesitation, and with a SPLASH! screamed BarleyFace as he darted past them, throwing himself head long into the water.

RobinHeart stopped dead in his tracks as a huge wave of water hit him. Slowly the soggy RobinHeart looked over at HailStorm. I dont know him&

Of course you dont, said HailStorm laughing.

Ha, ha, thats funny! said RobinHeart starting to limp away towards where his father and WildStar where sitting. Come on EbonyPaw, he said leaning into her comfortingly. My dad isnt that scary.

Whats wrong with you leg? asked HollyGaze looking up. You should let me look at it!

No, Im alright, said RobinHeart, not slowing down. The others are worse off.

As RobinHeart approached the two leaders he was suddenly stopped short by a laughing ball of wet fur leaping on top of him.

BarleyFace!

Im sorry! Did I get you wet? asked BarleyFace sarcastically, not sorry at all.

Oh just a little, replied RobinHeart looking up into BarleyFaces odd eyes. Thanks.

Anytime! answered BarleyFace, getting off his friend.

Id like to return the favor! exclaimed RobinHeart leaping on BarleyFace. Laughing and shouting RobinHeart pushed his friend into the water where they play fought happily pushing each others heads under the water and swatting each other.

RobinHeart! yelled LionStar. Come out of that water right now, both of you!

RobinHeart froze and looked up, puzzled. Huh?

Get out of the water, said LionStar again.

The red toms ears flipped back and he stood unmoving, unfortunately for BarleyFace, whose head was held under the water by RobinHearts big paw.

BarleyFace bubbled something unintelligible from under the water as he struggled to move himself out from under RobinHeart.

Remembering BarleyFace, RobinHeart stepped off him and stalked through the water towards his father, his temper raised. Why? he spat out, eyes flashing.

Your acting li- but LionStar was interrupted by BarleyFace as he surfaced, spluttering water and gasping for air.

What happened? You forget I was down there already?

What did you say?! shouted RobinHeart ignoring BarleyFace.

Not realizing RobinHeart wasnt talking to him BarleyFace said loudly, I said: did you forget me?

Not you! snarled RobinHeart angrily.

Well sorry, Sir Grumpy Fur! said BarleyFace walking out of the water behind RobinHeart.

RobinHeart, you are not behaving as a deputy should, said LionStar, angry and embarrassed that something like this would happen in front of another Clan Leader.

As a deputy should? Repeated RobinHeart totally over taken by rage. I have just fought a long hard battle, would you rather I sit around and show my tiredness to my Patrol? Da- LionStar, not everything has to be so serious!

This is a Gathering, you shouldnt be playing. Now Im not going to talk about it anymore, replied LionStar.

But I am! snarled RobinHeart.

Would you all stop arguing? I can hardly hear myself think! said DawnStar approaching the group; no one had heard ForestClan arrive over the sound of the argument.

My thoughts as well, said WildStar greeting DawnStar with a nod. What happened at the battle? Sorry I wasnt there I- was delayed.

Thanks to the warning provided by IvyFoot and AshPaw we were able to surprise NightClan. And with the MeadowClan and SkyClan patrols coming in from behind, NightClan was trapped in our camp. Even so, we were pretty well matched, not that we wouldnt have defeated NightClan. In fact, no one really won the battle, thanks to an interruption by your Medicine Cat Apprentice IvyFoot& DawnStar trailed off, unsure of how WildStar would take the news of IvyFoots boldness.

Go on, said WildStar calmly.

Well, IvyFoot hadnt wanted to be part of the battle so I told him to stay up on the ridge above camp, but in the middle of the battle he came running down yelling at everyone to stop fighting and that we should try to talk out our differences at the Gathering. After that everyone just separated into the different groups to come here. To speak for myself, I didnt really want to fight anymore, and I didnt have to, DawnStar explained.

His actions saved much life, said RobinHeart quietly, slowly lowering his body to the ground.

Im glad you finally decided to rest, said LionStar. That limp was starting to worry me RobinHeart.

Im fine, muttered RobinHeart. I dont have much time to rest, he continued. Ill be looking over the patrols soon.

Still, its good that you get some rest, at least, replied LionStar.

You should have HollyGaze look at your leg, said WildStar. Ill call her over.

Dont, said RobinHeart working his way to his paws. Shes working with young PepperPaw; she seems in a bad way.

What happened to her? asked WildStar, worry clear on his face.

Fighting, said RobinHeart slowly limping towards were his patrol was gathering. Ive never seen so young a cat so taken over by battle& then he stooped, looking back at WildStar with half a smile. She reminds me of you& come on BarleyFace!

Coming Red Leader! called BarleyFace as he followed RobinHeart.

That is a fine son you have LionStar, said WildStar lying back down.

Yes, I know, said LionStar almost sadly.

I guess NightClan isnt in too much of a hurry to get here, mentioned DawnStar.

Im not in any hurry for SilverStar to come.

Neither do I WildStar, but its still a Gathering, nor it couldnt star without all the Clans, DawnStar reminded him.

WildStar shrugged. I know it. I do miss BadgerStar, he seemed to even out my wildness, your passive ways DawnStar, and your shyness LionStar. I just hope SilverStar can do as much.

She seems strong, but I have a feeling she doesnt think her decisions through, said LionStar.

Shes young, said WildStar sighing. When I first became the leader of SkyClan I was as foolish as she.

Yes, I suppose we all were, said DawnStar.

Were? said LionStar.

WildStar glared over at LionStar. Watch it mouse brain! I may not be as young as I use to be but Im still younger than both of you! Put together!



RobinHeart walked painfully over to where his patrol was gathered. Among the MeadowClan cats he saw his sisters, YellowLeaf and OrangeSky sitting before a small grey shape. Puzzled RobinHeart limped over to them.

What is that? Somebodys hairball? asked BarleyFace.

RobinHeart stiffened, taking in a sharp breath; he knew what that small bloody shape was. AshPaw!

Pushing past BarleyFace RobinHeart ran the last few feet to his little apprentice. What happened? asked RobinHeart bending down next to AshPaws head. YellowLeaf, tell me! he exclaimed looking up at her, tears in his eyes.

NightClan, she said simply.

DabbledFern was here, said OrangeSky. There was nothing he could do.

Hes dying? asked RobinHeart bitter tears falling down his face.

OrangeSky didnt reply, only looked at him with her green eyes.

AshPaw twitched painfully. Hearing his mentors voice he struggled to look at him. RobinHeart? he whispered weakly.

Hush, its alright, everything will be alright, said RobinHeart laying his head down next to AshPaws. Im here Ashy.

I& I told them& AshPaw coughed and continued, Like you said& I warned them&

Well done, said RobinHeart pushing back his tears, for AshPaws sake. You saved so many lives& AshPaw you have meant more to me than any apprentice I have ever had.

Thank you, said AshPaw quietly, letting his tired eyes drop shut, content with his mentors approval and praise.

AshPaw, would you like to become a Warrior? asked RobinHeart unable to keep his sorrow back any longer. I will sit your watch for you& tonight.

Slowly AshPaw nodded.

For a moment RobinHeart thought then taking a deep shaky breath the red tom spoke. In StarClans name, I RobinHeart Deputy of MeadowClan name you, AshPaw, a full Warrior of MeadowClan to serve and protect your Clan mates for long as you shall live. No longer shall you be known as AshPaw, from now on you will be called by your Warrior name& AshWhisker a mighty Warrior of& of Meadow&Clan& with those final words RobinHeart broke down, openly weeping before his sisters and apprentice.

Gently RobinHeart lay down is body over that of AshPaws, providing both warmth and comfort as the dawn grew near. RobinHearts two sisters stayed with him, over shadowing their brother with love and understanding. As the hour past RobinHeart heard the sounds of NightClan as they came into the clearing yet he did not move. AshPaw needed him more. Off in the distance he could hear his father calling him for the Gathering but the Gathering, his father, and even his duties as a deputy took a lesser place to that of AshPaw.

RobinHeart, muttered YellowLeaf close to his ear. Dads coming.

RobinHeart rose up slightly, lifting his tear streaked face to see his father stamping angrily towards him.

RobinHeart! The Gathering is about to start. What are you doing?

Leave me alone! growled RobinHeart, laying his head back over AshPaws neck.

You are deputy; you need to be at the Gathering. Now come on! said LionStar angrily.

I am fulfilling my duty as a Deputy and as a Mentor, said RobinHeart quietly, his voice filled with sorrow. Leave me alone!

Well fine then! I dont have time for this now, but I want to speak with you later about this& and other things, said LionStar as he turned and left to join the Gathering.



EbonyPaw had lost all track of RobinHeart. She wandered aimlessly around the Gathering place, hoping to be invited into someones group or conversation.

Hi RavenPaw& no& thats not it& whatever your name is, HI! exclaimed LeafyFace loudly.

Hi, said EbonyPaw, hiding her frustration. Of all these cats only one that would talk to her couldnt even remember her name. Mind if I join you?

LeafyFace looked over at her friend, SunStorm. I dont mind!

Come on over, EbonyPaw, said SunStorm, throwing a look at LeafyFace.

Thank you, a lot, I was supposed to be following the Deputy from MeadowClan somewhere, but he and his friend ended up in the water and I completely lost him, EbonyPaw said sitting down beside them.

You mean RobinHeart? asked LeafyFace, her eyebrows going up.

Yeah, that was his name, HollyGaze told me to follow him, said EbonyPaw. Why?

LeafyFace tried not to smile. No reason.

Sure there isnt, muttered SunStorm. So were you at the ForestClan battle? I didnt see you there.

No, I wasnt. I stayed behind with HollyGaze and, EbonyPaw paused, unsure if she should tell. Something really weird happened to WildStar.

LeafyFace looked away. Not again, she said slight panic in her voice.

What? Does this happen a lot? asked EbonyPaw.

Not a lot, but enough, said SunStorm.

Do you know what happened exactly? HollyGaze really didnt explain it. He just seemed to& stop living for awhile, it was very strange, said EbonyPaw.

LeafyFace sighed. I guess you dont know about this, but when a cat is made leader of a Clan they are given nine lives. When a leader dies they are given one of their lives by StarClan. That is how WildStar became leader; MidnightStar, our former leader, lost his last life in a battle with NightClan, WildHeart lead SkyClan into battle and to victory. That night HollyGaze and Hailstorm took him to become a leader because his injuries were so bad, that morning he lost his first life. Hes lost one almost every season since them.

Wow, thats a lot then isnt it? said EbonyPaw.

Yes it is, and just between us I think he needs to stop being so risky with them, said SunStorm matter-of-factly.

LeafyFace nodded gravely. Im worried hes coming to the end of is lives, if that happened I dont know what SkyClan would do.

Yeah, hes a good leader. We certainly need him right now. And I dont know who would be leader if he& I mean our deputy, IceWind, is a great guy, but I cant say much for his leadership skills, you know? but in SunStorm.

Yeah& he talks& a lot! said EbonyPaw happily. These Warriors were so nice, she was glad to have someone around to talk to and take her mind off PepperPaw for awhile.

AND hes a coward, added LeafyFace laughing. But hes alright! You should see it when WildStar gets mad at him and he just keeps talking& its funny& Thank StarClan he hasnt killed him yet! I would have looooong ago!

Shut up LeafyFace! The Gathering is starting, said SunStorm. And sure enough, NightClan had finally arrived and the four Clan Leaders stood upon the great stone; ready to begin the Gathering.

DawnStar stood forward and addressed the cats as their attention was turned towards him, It has been an eventful night, but do not let the battle color the evenings talk.

WildStar flipped back his ears, eyes intent on SilverStar. Anger was clear in his stare as he glowered at her from across the rock. What are you talking about DawnStar? he snapped. SilverStar has betrayed our trust! How can I not let it color the evenings talk?

I will not be pushed around and taken advantage of! retorted SilverStar loudly. You think because I am a she-cat, and I am young that you can dominate over me, and I will not allow it!

Is a show of force really necessary? spat WildStar moving closer to his new found enemy, eyes flashing. Has one SkyClan cat stepped paw on your land? Huh? What about ForestClan? Are they stealing prey from your land? Or MeadowClan pushing their territory out into yours?

The pretty she-cat threw her head up defiantly. No, but it was only a matter of time! I am not as dim witted as you think WildStar! And you are not as strong as you think you are if you let a younger, smaller, weaker cat take you down!

WildStar bristled. Idiot! he hissed his wiry fur standing on end. Do you think your claws could hurt me? How foolish you really are! Not even your Father could take me down!

Then why are you out yet another life!

There was a general outburst of whispers here as WildStar stood before all of them, his face slandered and embarrassed. WildStar rose up his skin turning red beneath his fur. He felt humiliated, completely and utterly but was trying to control is anger, he could not fight her again he knew.

Your claws had little to do with that, he said evenly. I struck my head, you can see the gash yourself if you wish.

Would you stop bickering? The point is not who killed who. Instead we should be trying to figure out why it all happened and fix the problem, DawnStar interrupted. Right LionStar?

What? Oh, sure, LionStar replied distractedly.

Thanks for the support LionStar, said DawnStar continuing: So, lets talk. What is the problem exactly from each Clans point of view?

SilverStar invaded my territory! She attacked the clans for no good reason! shouted WildStar angrily.

No good reason! If it werent for all you we never would have needed to attack! retorted SilverStar furiously.

SilverStar you must admit your decision to attack all the other clans was rash and not very beneficial to either you or anyone else. I do believe you owe us all a reasonable explanation for actions, DawnStar interjected calmly.

If there is one, muttered WildStar.

Of course there is, SilverStar hissed; I felt you all needed to see that just because I am a young she-cat and a new leader, that NightClan is not any less powerful than it was when BadgerStar was leader.

Well that was lame, said WildStar loudly. You do realize that you and your Warriors were PULVERIZED!!

Look whos talking! At least I didnt lose any lives! SilverStar replied angrily.

Lets not get on that again! DawnStar cut in once again. Im sure at the time the strategy seemed much more logical than it does now. But still, I also agree that it was not well thought through. No one threatened you SilverStar. I certainly was not about to take advantage of your inexperience and Im sure the thought never occurred to anyone else either.

I for one was not at all interested in taking anything from you or NightClan, LionStar put in.

I couldnt take that chance! SilverStar defended herself.

Couldnt take that chance? What are you talking about? How can you feel threatened? MeadowClan is smaller than you! SkyClan hasnt attacked NightClan in seasons! And ForestClan has never attacked at all! exclaimed WildStar his voice more annoyed with each word.

I dont know how you of anyone could say something like that, fox-dung! SilverStar yelled savagely.

Fox dung! FOX DUNG! shouted WildStar rage taking over. You wretched piece of slime!

Youre just a pathetic little sissy that leads a band of mouse-brained idiots! screamed SilverStar.

Then what does that make you! retorted WildStar. At least I have enough sense to stay on my own land and mind my own business! Youre a self-important, foolish child that shouldnt even be a WARRIOR let alone a leader!

For your information I happen to know what Im doing. And maybe your dense little brain didnt hear, but I already told you why I attacked! said SilverStar.

Oh really? Stupid am I! I wasnt the one attacking all the Clans for NO REASON!!

It was not for no reason you& you-

Suddenly there was a huge flash of lighting as it ripped the dawn clouds in two. Each and every cat turned their heads, startled and then jumped at the following boom of thunder. Then without warning the skies opened up and poured down a deluge of rain. The wind howled the sky turned black. The trees bent to the furry of the storm screaming out its rage for the world to hear. The leaders looked at each other in horror, they had offended StarClan once again and each fearing for their lives called their clan to assemble. HollyGaze standing over the limp body of PepperPaw looked to the heavens as did IvyFoot. A sign& she murmured as HailStorm came running to them. From StarClan.


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment