Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - Why We Don't Learn

A very brief essay on asking why we don't learn from our mistakes

Chapter 1 - Why We Don't Learn

Chapter 1 - Why We Don't Learn
            “Learn from your mistakes.” Teachers have said this tostudents generation after generation, but to no avail, for barely anyone everlistens. Look at society. They say, “History repeats itself.” But why? Becausewe don’t do what we should. Learn. Over and over again we constantly hear, “Don’tget angry over mistakes, instead learn from them.” Also, why do we have Historylessons? So we don’t make the same mistakes that we did years ago. In myopinion, this has become one of the biggest problems in society today.
            Evidence of my statement holds true in many cases. Lookat those criminals. I recently heard that 90% of all criminals commit the samecrime that they had committed before. There was also a child molester on thenews yesterday. Even though they had stuck him in jail and therapy twenty-threeyears ago, he is being accused of molesting and murdering a nine-year-old girltoday. Furthermore, look at all the tragic wars all have gone through. Why wasthere a World War II after World War I? Couldn’t we have fixed our problems andmended our wounds? Now for Columbine, one of the most devastating incidentsincluding a school and a student with a gun in history. You’d think that peoplewould take notice and enforce rules and put away all guns from studentseverywhere. You’d think so, but that’s not what happened. At first, sure, everyonewas on their toes, alert and aware. But after awhile, it got mundane andredundant. Slowly, they slackened until the awareness went down to what it hadbeen before. And now, there was a boy from Idaho who decided to take a gun andkill innocent people and himself. Can you see the pattern here? All in all,factual evidence can support what I feel.
            So, the question and the questions it arises still stand.We all must ask this: Why don’t we learn ?

Comments

Comments (4)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

NightRat on July 18, 2008, 7:47:55 PM

NightRat on
NightRatI learned from my mistake.
When I was small I ate a chilli because I was told not to...
You're right though. Your esssay says a lot

WyattTheEd on June 5, 2005, 2:26:26 AM

WyattTheEd on
WyattTheEdI learned from my mistake, when I was little I couldn't tie my shoes....Wait!!! I still can't!!! But you are very true on the matter...

KAT_Hiwatari on April 8, 2005, 7:54:34 PM

KAT_Hiwatari on
KAT_HiwatariWhow! Heavy... but true. I agree, but hey, not all people are as smart and logic thinking as you and me. I know exaclty what you feel...

GothicDancer on April 4, 2005, 5:41:59 AM

GothicDancer on
GothicDancerYou know, that's true. There are a lot of things I could say here, but I think I'll just say, "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."