Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - Social Networking: Last Resort

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

Chapter 6 - Social Networking: Last Resort

Chapter 6 - Social Networking: Last Resort
In our time today, due to the popularity and success of social networking and the internet overall as a whole; we now use it to communicate with almost everyone, for anything, at anytime, and so on. Because of how most trends are started by dimwitted people, the rest usually follow and then the public begins to change their image and claim 'its the way of the future', 'its better', etc. While this isn't always true. Obviously new things aren't always better, lets take Miley Cyrus and Rebecca Black for examples. People just don't like to hold on to old things because they feel like they're getting too far behind or caught up in the past. This is one reason to why lots of people from the 90s are still obsessed and discuss the shows from the 90s because no one enjoys the current shows today, leaving them only to reminisce about what they all know they enjoyed. Its not so much nostalgia, but merely what they have left.

Social networking in the last 5 years has gone up tremendously, as hard as it may be to believe. From the year 2006 when Myspace was the most popular site on the internet, to 2008 when Facebook walked all over it. Its a mandatory fact today that social websites are now where almost all communication is happening at. This leaves people like myself to be able to keep in contact with long lost friends, best friends, family, and generally everyone you could find in a phone book. This is good and bad for some, but to me personally its just overwhelming. Its not a bad thing that I can contact anyone, at any given moment but giving everyone in the world this power really just makes communication for me drop down a level in interest. It makes me not even care anymore for the most part. I was never one to call my friends every time I had something to say, but now a days when anyone contacts me at all, its nothing special. It takes my social interest in anyone, and anything, down a level because of how common it has become.

Though its not the communication aspect entirely, but more so things like the media. Whether it be on TV, or the internet, social networking is what companies are slowly becoming involved with. But this goes far beyond the media alone even now because of its popularity. I could buy almost any random food at a grocery store, and the odds are its going to have a Facebook or Twitter Logo on it, possibly with a link too. Things like this are what really take it over the top to the point that I don't care anymore. Advertising a Facebook or something of that notoriety isn't bad, but when it becomes as common as stars in space, what's the point? What could there possibly be that would draw you in to actually 'Like' the advertised product on Facebook, when what they're doing is advertising the exact same thing the exact same way as everyone else.

Companies and people in general I feel try to abuse the growing population of social networks like Facebook, they're only advertising it to there because of how its a modern trend. Its where people are, and where people are active at. Not because its on the internet or its a website, but just because its one more place other than TV, Newspapers, Planes, Billboards, etc., that they can advertise on to help bring in funds for themselves. Its not a bad business tactic, but it really brings a message about business tactics in general. When will they realize that going with the most popular thing is not the best way to advertise or get your product across the best way for the best results? Television ads are fine and all, but do people get really tired of seeing the same product they're not going to buy everyday? I know I do. So why don't they ever get creative with public advertising? That's not hard to paint a picture for, so I won't go into detail on it. Though there's just a lot to be said in my opinion about Social Networking today, and how its impacted itself, not how it impacts everything else because of how most modern day activists just choose to move from one popular thing to the next, etc.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment