Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - The Experience of Happiness

A collection of random short stories I have written over the years. Many contain theming, but there's the occasional fun and light-hearted ones in here too. Enjoy.

Chapter 1 - The Experience of Happiness

Chapter 1 - The Experience of Happiness
A time ago, there was a young boy, no older than 15 years, who found that there was more to life than living, though he saw that no matter what he did, he couldn't experience any of it. He grew fascinated of this, and as time passed, he was no longer a young boy, but a young man. He found a beautiful woman, whom he admired dearly and eventually got married to. As he grew older yet, finding the joys and sorrows in living, he came to what he considered "living with life", through which he found offered more than just life itself.

As he grew older still, now around the age of 30, the life he had had been changing itself, gradually warping and generating contortions to a point of being hardly recognizable, Life had thrown many new things at him, and believing that life had always been good to him, he readily accepted everything, soon finding out that it was all too much to handle. Everything: every gift, curse, joy, sorrow, even every emotion; everything which life had presented to him had now suddenly become a burden in which he could not support.

Upon having this new-found realization, he turned back to his childhood and longed for the time when he didn't have to worry about this burden at all, when it never existed in the first place. He thought of the times when he was playing "Kick the Can" with his friends, when his parents scolded him for knocking a vase off of a coffee table in his old house's living room, even the memories of when his childhood dog, Bumper, had died in a car accident all flooded back to him. He thought of all the times he got drunk and all the times he skipped class during college, all for the sake of his "living with life" idea.

A sudden wave of sorrow washed over him. He fell to the floor, crying, wishing from the bottom of his heart that he could take it all back, that he could rewrite his past with the knowledge he had now. As he was crying, his wife noticed him and quickly went over to him, asking what was the matter. He explained his story to his wife, and after hearing it, with a smile on her face, she gently brushed back his hair, kissed him on the forehead, and asked him a very simple question: "But would you still have me?"

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment