Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 3 - Painful silence

When Starfire sees a friend pass away, she fears for the safety of the others... and her sanity.(This is for nicole_titans contest... even though it might not seem that way at first.)

Chapter 3 - Painful silence

Chapter 3 - Painful silence


Chapter 3

Painful silence



The sunny day had become an overcast evening, threatening to rain on Cyborg's burial. The four remaining Titans carried the casket containing their fallen friend to the hole that had been dug for him. The only people who attended the ceremony besides the Titan's were an old priest who read Cyborg's final farewell to the Titans and the gravedigger. Robin tried to ignore his broken arm and the scrapes Raven was unable to heal while he listened to the words of the priest. “To my friends… I have been ready for this day for a long time… I made peace with the fact that, one day, I would have to die protecting the city… I'm sorry I won't be there to help you fight any longer… I hope you can get along with out me.” The old priest said slowly as he read the note from Cyborg.

Rain began to fall, staining the black clothes the Titans wore. The priest hurried to read the note before the rain smeared the writing. “You were like family to me… like the brothers and sisters I had been with out for so long… Do not be sad for me… I'm leaving all of my gadgets and creations to you… along with blueprints and instructions for maintenance… Don't let my death distract you from the protection of the city… Good bye my friends… maybe we will meet in the after life some day… then we can be together again.” The priest said before folding up the letter and handing it to Robin.

They watched the coffin lower into the ground. Starfire looked around at the others, none of them could stop crying. Raven, who was normally so calm, could not help but shed a few tears for Cyborg. Even Robin, who was always strong and serious, let tears soak through his mask as he dropped the first handful of dirt on the coffin, even though he tried to keep a strait face and hide the tears in rain water. Beast Boy was inconsolable, he didn't was his friend to be buried. Starfire felt her heart break even more as she watched Beast Boy run over to the grave and begin to throw dirt off of it while he shouted. “No! It isn't true! He isn't dead… He can't be dead! He can't go!” Robin had to restrain Beast Boy from hurting the gravedigger who was in charger of burying the coffin. Starfire went over to Beast Boy and hugged him to try to calm him. Beast Boy cried loudly on Starfire's shoulder. “It's not fair… he was my best friend… I didn't even get a chance to say good bye.” Beast Boy said as the team began to walk out of the cemetery. Starfire looked back one last time at the grave of her friend and said a silent prayer for him to reach ascension in peace.

When the team got back to the tower they all split up and went to their own rooms, except for Starfire, who stayed in the living room to watch to rain fall against the windows. Starfire could hear music blasting in the other rooms, most likely Robin, trying to block the sound of his own sorrow. Starfire stood up and walked to the window so she could see the city, it looked cold and dull while the rain soaked its streets. Starfire let out a loud sigh, feeling too sad to cry.

Cyborg's reflection smiled back at her from the window. “I'm fine… don't worry.” Cyborg's voice said. His voice sounded strange, like it wasn't meant to match his expression. Starfire turned around to see her friend, but found nothing but an empty room. Starfire sighed and went to the couch to sit down and think the whole situation through.

Starfire sat and thought until she could no longer hear the music coming from the other rooms. The others had all gone to bed and she was the only one left awake to mourn. Starfire got up and decided she may as well go to bed as well, but before she could leave the room she heard a strange noise. It was like a muted explosion, as though someone had put a pillow over her head before lighting the fuse to a heavy explosive. Starfire looked around quickly to find the source of the disturbing noise but she couldn't find anything. When Starfire heard the noise again she ran to Robin's room and knocked on the door quickly. “Robin, it is Starfire… I have an urgent question.” Starfire said as she heard Robin getting up and moving around the room.

Robin opened his door and looked at Starfire with a tired expression. “What is it?” Robin asked in a yawn.

Starfire looked down the hallway, expecting to hear the noise again, but when it didn't come, she looked back at Robin. “I have been hearing strange noises… I am worried for the safety of our home.” Starfire said, sounding serious.

Robin stood up strait and made himself seem as though he was no longer tired. “What kind of noise was it?” Robin asked, stepping out of his room.

Starfire waited to hear the noise again, hoping Robin could hear it for himself. “It sounded as thought there was a battle somewhere in the tower… but it seems to have gone away.” Starfire said with a shrug, not feeling like herself. “I'm sorry… I suppose I am merely tired.”

Robin looked up at Starfire, he didn't look the same as he normally did. Starfire could see that Robin was sick over the loss of their friend, but he was trying to hide it. Robin continued to show a calm expression. “Don't worry about it Star… I think we could all use some rest.” Robin said, his voice sounding empty.

Starfire sighed and nodded in agreement. “Perhaps you are right… I will go now.” Starfire said before she wandered off to her room. Starfire didn't think it was going to that simple though, she knew that she heard strange noises coming from somewhere in the tower. Starfire leaned against the wall and let the tears fall from her eyes, finally feeling the emotions inside overwhelm her. Starfire sat and hugged her knees as she let out her sadness in a stream of tears. She didn't know what to do, so Starfire just let herself cry until the sun rose to greet a new day.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

terry_titanqueen on March 8, 2006, 10:50:08 PM

terry_titanqueen on
terry_titanqueenthat makes me wanna cry.... ;.( well that kinda looks like a crying face if u us your imagination........ hehe.... well how have u been doing i haven't herd from u in a while.... i still love the way u write.... well catch ya later bye......*-*