Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - Acceptance

When Starfire sees a friend pass away, she fears for the safety of the others... and her sanity.(This is for nicole_titans contest... even though it might not seem that way at first.)

Chapter 4 - Acceptance

Chapter 4 - Acceptance


Chapter 4

Acceptance



Starfire went back to the living room after a few hours of crying, she felt sick and didn't look much better then that. The others were all gathered around the table, silently eating their breakfasts. Robin jabbed at his eggs with his fork, trying not to make eye contact with the others. Starfire noticed that the cast on Robin's arm was gone, she wondered if she had only imagined it being there. Beast Boy was oddly silent, he didn't even want to cheer up the others with a joke. Raven was wearing her hood differently, trying to hide her blood shot, tear filled eyes. Starfire sighed and watched the others for a moment, it wasn't long before the alarm sounded to call them to battle.

Starfire felt worried for her friends as she watched them run out the door to stop the bad guys. She could tell that none of them were in the right state of mind to fight at the moment. “Please, friends, we must be extra careful in battle today… It will be more difficult then usual.” Starfire warned the team as they rushed toward the city.

Robin stopped and looked at Starfire. “Don't worry Star… it won't end the same way this time… I promise.” Robin said before he jumped through a window leading into the jewelry that was being robbed.

A lanky thug was pilfering the shelves of all of their valuables, laughing as he watched them shine and sparkle. The lanky thug didn't notice the Titans over the noise from the alarm, it wasn't until he saw Robin's shadow looming over him that he turned to face them. “Only four a ya…? What happened to the big shiny guy?” The thug asked mockingly as he slowly edged toward the emergency exit.

Robin seemed to go crazy over the man's taunt, diving forward and talking the man to the ground. The thug screamed as Robin repeatedly pounded him with his fists. Robin didn't stop until the man stopped screaming and Starfire pulled Robin away. Starfire couldn't stop crying as she restrained Robin from attacking the badly injured burglar, she could see that Robin had broken the man's nose in several places and left the rest of his face horribly bruised. Raven went to help the man and make sure he would survive his trip to jail. “This is not the way we do things… If Cyborg were here…” Starfire began as she let go of Robin.

Robin turned his back on Starfire and walked out of the jewelry store. “Cyborg isn't here… he never will be again.” Robin said coldly.

Beast Boy had been standing back, apparently afraid that something bad might happen if he interfered, but as he saw Robin walk out and leave Starfire to cry, he went over to comfort her. “Hey, come one Star… you're supposed to be the cheery one, remember.” Beast Boy said, straining to sound lighthearted. Beast Boy knelt down beside Starfire and handed her one of the tissues he had been carrying since the funeral. Starfire looked up at Beast Boy and wrapped her arms around him tightly, crying loudly into his shoulder. Beast Boy put his arms around Starfire and held her gently to comfort her as she cried. “It will be hard for a while… but somehow… things will go back to the way they were.” Beast Boy said sounding as though he didn't believe in what he was saying. Beast Boy took a deep breath to keep from crying for just a little longer so he could say. “Cyborg would want us to stay positive… even though it might seem impossible.”

After returning to the tower, Beast Boy and Raven went back to their rooms, leaving Starfire and Robin alone in opposite sides of the living room. Starfire sat on the couch and looked out the window at the city, Robin sat next to the radio and listened to some music, both of them were completely silent. It seemed like hours of painful quiet to Starfire. Even though she could hear music, she felt as though she was deaf to the world. Starfire was hoping that Robin would say something, or at least do something besides sit next to the radio. Starfire jumped in surprise when Robin finally did do something, slamming his fist through the radio and driving the room into complete silence.

Robin looked over at Starfire, she looked frightened as she hid behind the couch. Robin looked as though he was trying to turn and run, but his legs wouldn't move. All Robin could do was fall to his knees and slam his fist on the floor. Starfire stood up and walked over to him, remembering the words Beast Boy had used to calm her earlier. “Robin… please do not cry.” Starfire said as she knelt down beside Robin. “It was one of Cyborg's wishes that we… remain positive.”

Robin was still for a second, quivering every couple of seconds from all of his pent up frustration and sadness. Starfire was surprised when Robin reached up and removed his mask to wipe away a few tears. Robin put the mask back on to hide his puffy, red eyes, and looked up at Starfire. “I'm sorry… I shouldn't have acted the way I did earlier.” Robin said in a shaky voice.

Starfire saw Robin differently now then she ever did before, he was so different now. Starfire had never seen these kinds of emotions from Robin and it made her realize that, even though he was a strong and brave leader of heroes, he was still young. “It is okay… anger is a common emotion to feel when dealing with the loss of a loved one.” Starfire said as she put her hand on Robin's shoulder.

Robin wrapped his arms around Starfire quickly and held on tight, as though he was afraid she would disappear. “He was my best friend… I didn't realize until now how much you all mean to me… Starfire… I…” Robin said, sound as though he was trying to gather his thoughts back together. “As soon as I heard that Cyborg was dead… I knew I would have to bee more careful… I knew I would have to stop taking you for granted.” Robin said slowly before taking another deep breath and continued. “I'll never get a chance to tell Cyborg that he was like a brother to me. I'll never be able to let him know.” Robin suddenly looked into Starfire's eyes. “But I still have a chance to tell you… I have a chance to tell you that… I love you.”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

terry_titanqueen on March 13, 2006, 11:08:58 PM

terry_titanqueen on
terry_titanqueendude i understand...... i want to right stories to... but i can't find the time ether..... but your stories r way cool!!! this one in particular is very sad.... do u express your emotions in your work????? well... i do... sometimes even without noticing it!!!! its super werid!!! lol.... i was just wondering..... i mean.... welll... how old r u.....



welll see ya *-*

Maleficus on March 8, 2006, 10:47:37 PM

Maleficus on
MaleficusI am really sorry I've been gone so long. I have been going through a lot of stuff over here and it has been super hard to find the time to do anything here for a while. I will be here more and I will finish my stories.