Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 5 - A living nightmare

When Starfire sees a friend pass away, she fears for the safety of the others... and her sanity.(This is for nicole_titans contest... even though it might not seem that way at first.)

Chapter 5 - A living nightmare

Chapter 5 - A living nightmare


Chapter 5

A living nightmare



Starfire was sitting on the roof of the tower, trying to put all of her thoughts together. Starfire had started hearing voices and the sounds of explosions immediately after Robin had expressed his feelings for her. The voices belonged to her friends, but it sounded as though they were fighting someone. Starfire was trying to deal with the thoughts of all the strange things she had noticed lately, but it seemed to be too much for her. Starfire wanted to go to her room and sleep, but for some reason she couldn't keep her eyes closed.

It was a while before Starfire noticed that someone was on the roof with her, waiting for her to pay attention to them. “You know what the trouble is with most people these days… they don't know how to listen.” Said the familiar slow voice of The Sleeper.

Starfire turned and stood up to fight the drowsy villain, but hesitated when the thought that it could merely be her imagination crossed her mind. “You are deceased. You cannot be real.” Starfire said out loud, as though to convince herself that it was just her mind laying tricks.

The Sleeper stepped forward. “Can't I? There is no reason I can't be as real as you just because I have supposedly died.” The Sleeper said as he got closer to Starfire. “I just wanted to talk… I figure I owe you that much.” Starfire flew forward, only to freeze as The Sleeper rose up his hand. Starfire struggled while suspended in the air. “I've learned a few new tricks… you'd be surprised what can happen to a guy when he comes back from the dead.” The Sleeper said mockingly.

Starfire cursed at The Sleeper in Tameranian, then gave up and took a deep breath. “What do you want with me? Why did you bother coming back?” Starfire asked through grinding teeth.

The Sleeper set Starfire down slowly. “I came back because I wasn't able to finish my job the first time we met… And what I want you to do is sit back and watch while I destroy the rest of your friends.” The Sleeper said with a smile. “I think I'll start with the green one… no… I know who to get rid of first.” The sleeper muttered, grinning sinisterly. “The leader… the one you fancy.”

Starfire gasped and began to struggle again. “No! You will leave us in peace! I will stop you from causing any more harm to my friends!” Starfire shouted as she broke free of The Sleeper's control and punched him off the roof. The Sleeper screamed as he began to fall only to chock slightly as Starfire grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. “I do not want to see you ever again! Leave here at once!” Starfire demanded as she threw The Sleeper out to sea.

The Sleeper laughed as he flew away, seeming happy about angering Starfire. “I admire your optimism… but it won't be enough to end this nightmare!” The Sleeper called out just before hitting the water's surface.

Starfire flew back inside and locked the door behind her, now fearing that her friends might be in danger. Starfire reflected on the words of The Sleeper, his choice of words made her thoughts even more frantic. “I have been seeing strange things lately… could it all be a dream?” Starfire asked herself before she bumped into Robin. Starfire just stood and stared at Robin for a while, not sure what to think at the moment. Everything seemed so vivid and real, it couldn't possibly be something as simple as a dream. She could still feel pain, she could still feel the world around her as it went on living. There was something strange about this world, but it was as real as it had ever been.

Starfire reached out her hand and slowly ran her fingers across Robin's forehead, making sure he was actually standing in front of her. “Are you… feeling alright?” Robin asked as he took Starfire's outstretched hand and held it gently in his own. “You look as though you've just seen a ghost.”

Starfire felt a warm tear run down the side of her face, she couldn't stand to lose another friend. “The Sleeper is alive… he has manipulated us in to thinking that he had been destroyed so that he could surprise us and destroy us one by one.” Starfire said, her voice shaking. “I am afraid… he has already taken one friend away… I do not want him to take any more.” Starfire said as she stepped forward and hugged Robin.

Robin hugged Starfire hesitantly, apparently taken aback by her news. “He's still alive?” Robin asked slowly, pondering the words in his head. “How do you know this?” Robin asked as he gently pushed Starfire to arm's length.

Starfire looked into Robin's masked eyes. Although Robin's eyes were covered, Starfire could still see the concern behind them. “I saw him on the roof… he told me this himself.” Starfire said, trying to stop the tears.

Robin turned around to go to the operations room as soon as Starfire stopped talking, but she grabbed his hand and pulled him back. “You said that you loved me earlier… please stay with me and let me know that you are out of the path of danger.” Starfire pleaded quietly. “The last few days have been confusing and frightening… I don't want it to get any worse.”

Robin looked down at her and wrapped his arms around her. “I'm sorry Starfire… I don't think things will ever go back to the way they were.” Robin said sounding slightly cold to Starfire's emotions. “The best we can do is stop The Sleeper from doing any more.” Robin looked into Starfire's eyes and tried to look confidant in the words he spoke.

Starfire nodded and looked toward the operations room. “We should hurry then… there is no telling how much time we could have.” Starfire said, but she was interrupted by the sound of a cry of pain.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

terry_titanqueen on April 17, 2006, 12:08:23 AM

terry_titanqueen on
terry_titanqueenwhy r u soooooooooooooo.... good.....how can u write soooo... good.... your sorty has me wrapped!!!!!or... hooked ^-^ but.... it makes me wanna cry at times..... plez don't kill bb!!!!