Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Hell, Alias: School

Tora, the blind, 15 year old, goth girl from a small town in Iowa, begins to have prophetic dreams that lead her into a world full of mystery and magic! What is this power growing inside her? And why can she suddenly hear voices calling to her in the dark

Chapter 2 - Hell, Alias: School

Chapter 2 - Hell, Alias: School
The bright yellow school bus pulled up to the large, brown building marked Waverly High. The three friends waited for every one to get off the bus before they departed from their seats.“Like I was saying,” began Crystal, “being a twin isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You’re permanently bonded to your sibling! Do you realize that I know what’s going on in Ben’s head? It ain’t pretty!”
"Your minds no walk in the park either!” Ben argued, “All the time it’s, ‘Oooo, what a hot boy!’ You think I want those kind’ a thoughts in my head? NO!”
“Would you guys cut it out?” Tora pleaded as they stepped off the bus, “You’ve been arguing all morning!”
“Well miss, I’m an only child…” began Crystal, but Tora cut her off.
“No, I have Candy now, remember?”
“Oh, yea, that little pink haired foster kid right?” Ben said as he pointed to Candy crossing the courtyard. Tora snapped out her arm instinctively, grabbed Ben’s hand, and lowered it. “What the…” Ben started.
“It’s not nice to point, Ben.” Crystal taunted.
“I’d appreciate it if you guys didn’t make fun of her.” Tora confided, “She’s like my little sister now, and I’ve never had a little sister.”
“Sorry” Ben grumbled.
“Now,” said Tora, as she snapped out her walking stick, “Off to first period!”
“But the bell hasn’t even run-“ Crystal began but was cut off by the sound of the school bell ringing. Crystal sighed “Never mind…” The three friends proceeded into the school with a somewhat nonchalant attitude. After all they were the school’s Goths; they had a certain persona they were expected to uphold, blind or otherwise. 
 
“Now, now settle down class.” Mrs. Fandri, the Freshman English teacher, said over the roar of rambunctious youths that spilled across her classroom. “Take your seats. Alright, now would every body please turn to page 82 of our current novel, Lord of the Flies?” The class simultaneously pulled the small thick book from their handbags and backpacks, including Tora.“Now who would like to read first?” Dani Richards, the teen snob queen, who sat right behind Tora, preceded to jab her in the back with her pen, making her stand up.
“Ouch!” Tora said under her breath, being a Goth she had no emotions, so she just bit her lip.
“Tora?” Said Mrs. Fandri reluctantly, “Well, alright please read page 82.” Tora ran her sensitive fingers over the first line of her brail version of Lord of the Flies on page 82.
“’I’ve got the conch.’ Jack sat down, grumbling…” Tora began, and continued without flaw.
 
“I saw what happened in English today Tora,” Crystal complimented, “you sure showed up old Dani.”
“Yea,” Ben said, “you really -trash can mover to your right- showed her.”
“Thanks guys,” Tora said side stepping the mobile trash can as they passed it, “but it wasn’t all that.” Just then a dainty high fashion heeled foot stuck out from behind the corner.
“Tora, look out-“ Crystal said, just a bit too late. Tora couldn’t stop herself in time. She fell flat on her face. A gaggle of manically laughing girls stepped in front of the fallen Tora. Ben and Crystal bent to help her up. Tora put one hand over her nose to still the bleeding that she knew would follow in a few seconds.
“Well, well, well, how the mighty have fallen.” Dani Richards, spat in her too high-pitched voice. Ben and Crystal glared at the girls.
“Oh, that’s real nice!” Crystal said sarcastically.
“Trip the blind girl!” Ben finished his sister’s sentence.
“Oh, I didn’t trip her because she’s blind,” Dani came back, “I tripped her because she’s a freak like the both of you!” Dani’s posse of mindless teen queens giggled at Dani’s not funny joke. Tora’s nose began to bleed behind her hand. She grinned menacingly, because she knew that today was Wednesday, the day all of the Dannets, Dani’s mindless posse, wore all white.
“Well, if you don’t mind,” Tora said awkwardly, “We’ll be leaving now.” Tora removed her hand from her nose to reveal the bloody mess and whipped her hand across the row of perfectly white blouses. The Dannets squealed in disgust and ran off. While Ben, Crystal, and Tora laughed. “You guys mind helping me to the Nurse’s office?” Tora asked.
“Not-at-all!” Ben said between laughing spasms. Crystal and Ben helped the injured Tora hobble to the Nurse’s office. Where they were forced to leave her. 
 
“This is some mess you’ve made, girlie.” Nurse Hatchet said as she carefully place a second butterfly bandage over the fracture in Tora’s nose.
“Not -ouch- my fault.” Tora said. Just then the office aide poked her head in the door and said,
“Um, Nurse Hatchet, when you’re done with that one, the Principal wants to see her.”
“Alright sweetie,” Nurse Hatchet said, “she’s done.”
“Thank you, Nurse Hatchet.” Tora said as she popped out her walking stick and left with the aide.
 
“Tora, what are we going to do with you?” Principal O’Brien asked.
“Well, if you would have listened to my story at all, you would have realized that I’m clearly not the problem.” Tora said.
“Now, I won’t take any of you back-sass young lady!” Principal O’Brien spat. “You whipped your blood over 6 very expensive white blouses, and ruined them!”
“How was I suppose to know that they were white?” Tora said, playing the ‘Blind Card’.
“Well, I, you…” Principal O’Brien stuttered.
“Now, I believe I’m missing my lunch, so if you don’t mind I’ll see myself out.” Tora said standing.
“Now wait just a darn minute!” Principal O’Brien shouted. “You have to be punished!”
“First off it’s cause and effect. So if you plan on punishing the effect, you best punish the cause first. And secondly, I’m blind! Whose to say I didn’t ‘stumble’ and ‘accidentally’ brush my hand across their shirts, and like I clearly stated before: how was I supposed to know that they were white, or expensive for that matter?” Principal O’Brien sat wordless against her logic. “Good day sir.” She said calmly and briskly and walked out.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment